RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Summitt's son abruptly resigns at Louisiana Tech
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Youth Coach

PostPosted: 04/10/16 7:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NFL1 wrote:
Did he get into the habit while a grad assistant at TN? As a student then, maybe he thought it was allowed...and part of coaching?

So sorry that he has sullied his mother's name and reputation. Seems like he's in the Josh Duggar camp.

So, what's next for LATech?

Okay, wait a minute. Let's not be throwing around the Duggar name in regards to this.

Summitt did stuff that is stupid and disgraceful, but Duggar actually committed crimes that were covered up by his parents.

Cheating on one's wife may be a point of similarity but that is far from the only thing Duggar did wrong.
miller40

PostPosted: 04/10/16 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
All of the stories mentioning pregnancy that I've bothered to trace back lead to the SwishAppeal article, which only cites unnamed sources. I hope for everyone's sake that those sources are reliable.

I think some of the speculation regarding the Santos family is uncalled for. How can it be "petty" and starting "vicious rumors" to complain to asst coaches about a blatantly inappropriate situation such as this one?

Back up a minute there, pal. IF TotalCardinalMove's memory is correct and it was Santos who talked Pumroy into transferring in the first place, don't you think there might be just a little bit more to this story? Might my theory of jealousy not just hold a little water? I think there may be a lot more to this than first meets the eye....

Here's the article I was talking about.
http://m.latechsports.com/m/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/080515aac.html

Here's a piece of it.

However, it was Santos who surprised Pumroy one day with what came out of her mouth.

As news that Summitt was interviewing for head coaching jobs began to spread, it led to an interesting conversation between the two friends.

"I was talking to Ashley in class one day and she was saying `(Coach Tyler) is going to be really successful,'" said Pumroy. "`He's going to win. What if we went with him?'

"I was comfortable (at Marquette). I had already made my home and got my starting spot. But I got to thinking more about it. I knew God was telling me to do it. I still had no idea where we were going. Coach Tyler wouldn't talk to us because he is so big about following the rules. We just knew he wasn't at Marquette, and we wanted to go with him. We asked for a release before we knew where we were going or if (Coach Tyler) would even offer us a spot."

Rolling Eyes

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/10/16 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
All of the stories mentioning pregnancy that I've bothered to trace back lead to the SwishAppeal article, which only cites unnamed sources. I hope for everyone's sake that those sources are reliable.

I think some of the speculation regarding the Santos family is uncalled for. How can it be "petty" and starting "vicious rumors" to complain to asst coaches about a blatantly inappropriate situation such as this one?

Back up a minute there, pal. IF TotalCardinalMove's memory is correct and it was Santos who talked Pumroy into transferring in the first place, don't you think there might be just a little bit more to this story? Might my theory of jealousy not just hold a little water? I think there may be a lot more to this than first meets the eye....

Here's a piece of it.

However, it was Santos who surprised Pumroy one day with what came out of her mouth.

As news that Summitt was interviewing for head coaching jobs began to spread, it led to an interesting conversation between the two friends.

"I was talking to Ashley in class one day and she was saying `(Coach Tyler) is going to be really successful,'" said Pumroy. "`He's going to win. What if we went with him?'

"I was comfortable (at Marquette). I had already made my home and got my starting spot. But I got to thinking more about it. I knew God was telling me to do it. I still had no idea where we were going. Coach Tyler wouldn't talk to us because he is so big about following the rules. We just knew he wasn't at Marquette, and we wanted to go with him. We asked for a release before we knew where we were going or if (Coach Tyler) would even offer us a spot."

Where does that say that Santos talked Pumroy into transferring? Santos asked "What if...?" and the two decided to go. If anyone was guilty of coercion, it appears to be God, based on this account.

And even if Santos were jealous, I don't see how she's petty for reporting the situation to the other coaches, and unless she's the unnamed source about an untrue pregnancy, I don't see where vicious rumors are in play either.

AMEN!

PostPosted: 04/10/16 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Here's a piece of it.

Where does that say that Santos talked Pumroy into transferring? Santos asked "What if...?" and the two decided to go. If anyone was guilty of coercion, it appears to be God, based on this account.

And even if Santos were jealous, I don't see how she's petty for reporting the situation to the other coaches, and unless she's the unnamed source about an untrue pregnancy, I don't see where vicious rumors are in play either.

What I was wondering about is if Santos were the one creating dissension on the team in the first place, out of jealousy. You have to admit that is completely possible. (I have a lot of experience with young women in that age group, and the things that come into play can be pretty ugly sometimes.) I'm not saying that's the case, just throwing it out as a possible scenario in view of her more recent actions.

PostPosted: 04/10/16 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Here's a piece of it.

What I was wondering about is if Santos were the one creating dissension on the team in the first place, out of jealousy. You have to admit that is completely possible. (I have a lot of experience with young women in that age group, and the things that come into play can be pretty ugly sometimes.) I'm not saying that's the case, just throwing it out as a possible scenario in view of her more recent actions.

Weren't you the one scolding other people for what you viewed as blind speculation?

Assuming your imagination stumbled onto something, what difference would that make to anything that matters here?

Next is it somehow going to be her fault Summitt slept with a player too? THAT is the issue and root of all problems here and all that matters.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/10/16 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, USA Today is using the players' names now, and making it clear who they're talking about, so can we stop the silliness here about defamation lawsuits?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2016/04/09/tyler-summitt-louisiana-tech-resigned-brooke-pumroy/82836748/

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/10/16 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Well, USA Today is using the players' names now, and making it clear who they're talking about, so can we stop the silliness here about defamation lawsuits?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2016/04/09/tyler-summitt-louisiana-tech-resigned-brooke-pumroy/82836748/

You seem to be confused.

USA Today is not reporting, as a fact for which they have a source, that Summitt impregnated any named person. As to factually reporting on Summitt, they simply repeat that "[h]e did not say with whom he had a relationship." As to factually reporting on AD McClelland, they simply repeat that "he provided no information about the alleged relationship."

USA Today mentions the word "impregnated", not to report it as a factual act attributable to Summitt, but simply to report on the claimed motivations of Ashley Santos to post a picture of herself:

"Ashley Santos on Friday posted a midriff-bearing photo of herself online to prove she was not impregnated by Summitt, the players parents told USA TODAY Sports Friday. Jose Santos said his daughter felt she had no choice as rumors escalated online that Summitt, the son of Hall of Fame coach Pat Summitt, resigned because he had impregnated one of the two players on Louisiana Techs team who transferred in from Marquette, and Ashley Santos is one."

There is a clear journalistic and legal difference between reporting, as a sourced fact, that Summitt has impregnated someone, as Swish Appeal did -- versus reporting the factual existence of online rumors about impregnation and a denial by someone that they are the subject of those rumors.
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/10/16 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
What did Mickie DeMoss know and when did she know it?

Apparently, the LaTech AD thinks she knew nothing, given that he's anointed her interim head coach.

I would be very suspicious and skeptical. The sense from the LaTech boards seems to be that this rumor was all around the team, if not much of the campus, for quite a while. Someone finally spilled some convincing beans to the AD and university president earlier this week. Who, if not the coaching staff?

At least in this regard it is reminiscent of the Pokey situation.

PostPosted: 04/10/16 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

You seem to be confused.

USA Today is not reporting, as a fact for which they have a source, that Summitt impregnated any named person. As to factually reporting on Summitt, they simply repeat that "[h]e did not say with whom he had a relationship." As to factually reporting on AD McClelland, they simply repeat that "he provided no information about the alleged relationship."

USA Today mentions the word "impregnated", not to report it as a factual act attributable to Summitt, but simply to report on the claimed motivations of Ashley Santos to post a picture of herself:

"Ashley Santos on Friday posted a midriff-bearing photo of herself online to prove she was not impregnated by Summitt, the players parents told USA TODAY Sports Friday. Jose Santos said his daughter felt she had no choice as rumors escalated online that Summitt, the son of Hall of Fame coach Pat Summitt, resigned because he had impregnated one of the two players on Louisiana Techs team who transferred in from Marquette, and Ashley Santos is one."

There is a clear journalistic and legal difference between reporting, as a sourced fact, that Summitt has impregnated someone, as Swish Appeal did -- versus reporting the factual existence of online rumors about impregnation and a denial by someone that they are the subject of those rumors.

Read what I wrote instead of making up something to fit your preferred narrative. I chose my words carefully. I said they made it clear who they're talking about, which they did. They used daddy Santos's comments as the vehicle. That they reported that neither Summitt nor the AD have said anything doesn't change that.

So if you're going to get wrapped up in USAT's precise words, why not read my precise words too.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/10/16 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
As a coach, he was in a position of authority, power, and responsibility. Which means that even if she climbed into his bed naked, grabbed his crotch, and said, "Coach, I'll do anything for more playing time", his response should have been, "For God's sake, put some clothes on, get over to the gym, put up a couple of hundred shots, and we'll talk about your playing time."

Code:
                                                                                       (CONTINUED)

COACH SUMMITT
                                              (contd)
                            Okay, wait now. Just kidding! HELLO. Get back over here.

PostPosted: 04/10/16 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

You seem to be confused.

He is very confused. He had better be editing his comments like alot of others.

Lillian Hidgepork

PostPosted: 04/10/16 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Lillian Hidgepork wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
There is a concept in tort law called "defamation per se", which varies in its availability and elements from state to state. In states that retain the tort of defamation per se, certain statements about a person are deemed inherently defamatory, by law, without having to prove damages. Statements that are defamatory per se often include such things as allegations of sexual immorality, unchaste behavior and, for a woman, a false accusation of pregnancy.

The tort can be found in the Restatement (Second) of Torts 570 (2013), and Louisiana apparently is one of the remaining defamation per se jurisdictions.

Enjoy your $1 recovery. Don't spend it in one place.

Besides, the "immoral" and "unchaste" behavior are true so obviously not actionable.

As I've stated, Summitt is likely a "public figure" and has admitted to an inappropriate relationship. I don't think the primary defamation or false light litigation risk lies with him.

I do think there is a defamation risk per se or even per quod if a named woman is stated to have engaged in adultery and has become pregnant, assuming that allegation is not true. Punitive and court sanctioned damages are available in per se cases in addition to actual damages. That's why mainstream outlets who have lawyers, like ESPN, have stayed away from reporting that allegation, especially specific to a named woman. Swish Appeal, in my opinion, has exposure unless its sourced information can be proven true, although they have mitigated their risk by not naming the woman.

If ALL the allegations involving the woman are false, she probably has a claim. In view of the information that has become public and statements from people surrounding the situation, that likelihood appears remote at best.

If the basic allegation of the affair is true, and the only issue is whether she's pregnant or not, then by voluntarily engaging in conduct that has resulted in a national public scandal at a major state university and the resignation of the head coach, she has almost certainly become a limited public figures with respect to publications concerning the particular scandal, and would have to prove actual malice, plus she likely has no incremental damages beyond those resulting from her own voluntary conduct in having an affair.

Mainstream media doesn't identify the names of young women in these situations because it's the PC thing to do and to avoid criticism, not because they're afraid of losing a lawsuit. They could have it on videotape and they still wouldn't want to be the first major outlet to release her name.

Art why the hard line. Keep yapping your flapper and maybe they can get some of your money. Facts are you just cant throw stuff out there about people if its not true and expect nobody to fight back. Do you know if this is 100%true? If not I would suggest you talk about something you know about, which is not this story. Where did you hear this Art? Please tell us your source? And everyone else where did you hear this and who confirmed it for you? Delete them tweets peoples and shut that trap Art before it gets you in trouble. If this is not true and I repeat NOT true this will get ugly.

As I said, I assume you're not a lawyer. Is that correct?

You assuming has got me on your rear for this Art. Whether I am a lawyer or not is of no concern of yours. See below.

Art why the hard line. Keep yapping your flapper and maybe they can get some of your money. Facts are you just cant throw stuff out there about people if its not true and expect nobody to fight back. Do you know if this is 100%true? If not I would suggest you talk about something you know about, which is not this story. Where did you hear this Art? Please tell us your source? And everyone else where did you hear this and who confirmed it for you? Delete them tweets peoples and shut that trap Art before it gets you in trouble. If this is not true and I repeat NOT true this will get ugly.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/10/16 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The internet police seem to be here now lol. Rolling Eyes

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/10/16 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lillian Hidgepork wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Lillian Hidgepork wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
There is a concept in tort law called "defamation per se", which varies in its availability and elements from state to state. In states that retain the tort of defamation per se, certain statements about a person are deemed inherently defamatory, by law, without having to prove damages. Statements that are defamatory per se often include such things as allegations of sexual immorality, unchaste behavior and, for a woman, a false accusation of pregnancy.

The tort can be found in the Restatement (Second) of Torts 570 (2013), and Louisiana apparently is one of the remaining defamation per se jurisdictions.

Enjoy your $1 recovery. Don't spend it in one place.

Besides, the "immoral" and "unchaste" behavior are true so obviously not actionable.

As I've stated, Summitt is likely a "public figure" and has admitted to an inappropriate relationship. I don't think the primary defamation or false light litigation risk lies with him.

I do think there is a defamation risk per se or even per quod if a named woman is stated to have engaged in adultery and has become pregnant, assuming that allegation is not true. Punitive and court sanctioned damages are available in per se cases in addition to actual damages. That's why mainstream outlets who have lawyers, like ESPN, have stayed away from reporting that allegation, especially specific to a named woman. Swish Appeal, in my opinion, has exposure unless its sourced information can be proven true, although they have mitigated their risk by not naming the woman.

If ALL the allegations involving the woman are false, she probably has a claim. In view of the information that has become public and statements from people surrounding the situation, that likelihood appears remote at best.

If the basic allegation of the affair is true, and the only issue is whether she's pregnant or not, then by voluntarily engaging in conduct that has resulted in a national public scandal at a major state university and the resignation of the head coach, she has almost certainly become a limited public figures with respect to publications concerning the particular scandal, and would have to prove actual malice, plus she likely has no incremental damages beyond those resulting from her own voluntary conduct in having an affair.

Mainstream media doesn't identify the names of young women in these situations because it's the PC thing to do and to avoid criticism, not because they're afraid of losing a lawsuit. They could have it on videotape and they still wouldn't want to be the first major outlet to release her name.

As I said, I assume you're not a lawyer. Is that correct?

You assuming has got me on your rear for this Art. Whether I am a lawyer or not is of no concern of yours. See below.

I have no idea what you are ranting about. Are you saying you know for a fact that none of the information being circulated is true?

What exactly is not true?
1) That Summitt had an affair
2) That the affair was with a student athlete who played on his team
3) The widely circulated name of the player
4) That the player is pregnant.

Please be specific and tell us exactly what you know for a fact to be untrue.

But really, I suggest you stop lecturing people about the law of defamation.

I suggest you follow your own advice - "I would suggest you talk about something you know about, which is not this story."

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/10/16 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Uh okay. Let's stop dispensing legal advise or making legal threats on behalf of public persons who are not you to or at members of Rebkells. Or providing posting guidance, do's and don't's, threatening suggestions.

That stops right now.

PostPosted: 04/10/16 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Man I gotta tell ya, i just don't get wtf people mean by things like "I knew God was telling me to do it".

Are they to be taken literally; seriously?

Does anyone else find this to be nonsense?

Does she mean- "I decided to do it, but I need to pretend that a "higher authority" has given me the okay"? Shocked

PostPosted: 04/10/16 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Man I gotta tell ya, i just don't get wtf people mean by things like "I knew God was telling me to do it".

Does she mean- "I decided to do it, but I need to pretend that a "higher authority" has given me the okay"? Shocked

cth, hon, you just haven't lived around 'em long enough to understand evangelical speech. I was going to say "understand the evangelical brain", but there ain't no understanding some of that!

PostPosted: 04/11/16 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

cth, hon, you just haven't lived around 'em long enough to understand evangelical speech. I was going to say "understand the evangelical brain", but there ain't no understanding some of that!

in that context, i consider myself a fortunate man. Cool

PostPosted: 04/11/16 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tyler Summitt's fall crushing to both Louisiana Tech and Tennessee
Mechelle Voepel
espnW.com
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15163404/tyler-summitt-fall-crushing-louisiana-tech-lady-techsters-tennessee-lady-vols
Quote:
However, if it sounds as if I am making excuses in any way for him, I'm not. There is nothing unclear or difficult to discern about why his behavior was wrong. He shouldn't have needed guidance from anyone to avoid it. He was a married coach who regularly tweeted Bible verses and talked about the necessity of players having unassailable character to play for his team. He presented an image that he fell short of living up to.

Some might point to his age and say that's the biggest explanation for why this happened. But Summitt insisted when he was hired that he was ready, and that his age was irrelevant because of the lifelong experience he had watching his mom's teams. So if age wasn't an impediment to Summitt getting this job, then it can't be used an excuse for him losing it.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 04/11/16 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
Tyler Summitt's fall crushing to both Louisiana Tech and Tennessee
Mechelle Voepel
espnW.com
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15163404/tyler-summitt-fall-crushing-louisiana-tech-lady-techsters-tennessee-lady-vols
Quote:
However, if it sounds as if I am making excuses in any way for him, I'm not. There is nothing unclear or difficult to discern about why his behavior was wrong. He shouldn't have needed guidance from anyone to avoid it. He was a married coach who regularly tweeted Bible verses and talked about the necessity of players having unassailable character to play for his team. He presented an image that he fell short of living up to.

Some might point to his age and say that's the biggest explanation for why this happened. But Summitt insisted when he was hired that he was ready, and that his age was irrelevant because of the lifelong experience he had watching his mom's teams. So if age wasn't an impediment to Summitt getting this job, then it can't be used an excuse for him losing it.

I think the republican party may be interested.

PostPosted: 04/11/16 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In some ways, an irrelevant question, but in others not: Has there been any definitive word on whether the young woman is pregnant or not?

It is, after all, a yes or no question.

PostPosted: 04/11/16 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why in the hell would the fanbase of the Lady Vols care?!?!?!

I take exception to that sentiment, as he had NOTHING to do with the success of the Lady Vols program. Pat Summitt being his mom is a personal issue. Her legacy as a mother might be affected, but the legacy she left in this game HAS NOTHING to do with him. If anything, it has more to do with Holly Warlick and her successors at Tennessee. Her legacy as a basketball legend being tarnished is utter and complete BULLSHIT!

PostPosted: 04/11/16 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting article by Voepel but I don't care how old Summitt is, his career coaching women should rightly be over. PERIOD.
Shades

PostPosted: 04/11/16 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
Interesting article by Voepel but I don't care how old Summitt is, his career coaching women should rightly be over. PERIOD.

It didn't finish Pokey's career. What's the difference?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
miller40

PostPosted: 04/11/16 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
Why in the hell would the fanbase of the Lady Vols care?!?!?!

I take exception to that sentiment, as he had NOTHING to do with the success of the Lady Vols program. Pat Summitt being his mom is a personal issue. Her legacy as a mother might be affected, but the legacy she left in this game HAS NOTHING to do with him. If anything, it has more to do with Holly Warlick and her successors at Tennessee. Her legacy as a basketball legend being tarnished is utter and complete BULLSHIT!

She was his mentor. By most, if not all, accounts he credits her with teaching him the game, and when he was hired we heard again and again how he grew up the gym with the Lady Vols. She taught him the game. In that way he is part of her coaching legacy the same way any coach she mentored and taught is part of her legacy. I guess it depends on how highly you rank a coach's professional family tree as contributing to their legacy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: