RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Summitt's son abruptly resigns at Louisiana Tech
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colt13

PostPosted: 04/08/16 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I admit that I was wrong. I thought this would be a good hire, and recordwise it isn't bad. Tyler's 2 years a La.Tech 30-31, Geno's first 2 years at UCONN 26-29. Kid was 10 yrs ahead of the learning curve, and except for Lange at Omaha, there isn't a younger coach that was in a better postiton to succeed.

But this board has lit up on 3 names from the beginning, and now are 2-3, with the 3rd TDB. Summitt, Wolff and Dykes. If it were April 1st, I would start a rumor about Isaiah Thomas coaching wbb just to watch the fireworks.

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 04/08/16 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Obviously it takes two to tango, so how about the player making this happen, you have to believe she is aware that Tyler is married and the situation/risk she is putting him in. It's unfortunate that it seems if she didn't get pregnant, this "affair" would likely continue on...

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 04/08/16 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oops

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 04/08/16 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

He made a mistake Art. He didn't stalk young children and prey upon them. He is paying for that mistake by losing his job. Its really that simple.

Actualy he did prey on a younger vulnerable subordinate.

No one's saying he should go to jail. But he hurt lots of people by his irresponibility. His wife, the girl, his employer, his players, and most importantly his imminent child. He seriously changed peoples' lives. And not for the better.

So don't give me that "oh he just made a little mistake, let's forgive and forget" nonsense. What he did to his wife, the girl, and the baby isn't going to vanish tomorrow.

So you think branding him as though he is some pedophile makes any of that situation better? That is hogwash. He didn't "prey" on anyone from what I have read. I know that the PC thing to say is that he some child predator, but I don't give a crap what the PC thing to say is. I would much rather base my opinions on the actual events, rather than what the crowd dribbles on about.

He did. You are actually the one making unwarranted assumptions.

I never understand why some people always want to excuse the perp and blame the victim. Some people just want to assume it's always the woman's fault and make excuses for the man.

Yeap, poor Coach Tyler. Seduced and ruined by that young siren. She cast her evil spell and there was nothing he could do. Yeah that must be what happened. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

No criminal laws were broken. Therefore there is no "perp." Nowhere did I blame the young woman (she is an adult) or make excuses for the man. I just roll my own eyes when drama queens act as though losing your job and potentially your career path is not somehow punishment enough for having consensual sex. We are not talking about a high school coach and a 15 year old.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/08/16 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
mercfan wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
I wonder if this will make some AD's pause when thinking about hiring a male to be the women's basketball coach at their school.

I don't think it's any different with female coaches. People who are like this are going to conduct themselves innapropriatly no matter what sex they are. Good AD's will see this.

No kidding are people already forgetting about Pokey? Didn't hurt her coaching career much either.

Pokey didn't get anyone pregnant.

Pokey's relationship was with a former player. She was essentially fired for being a lesbian. Hence the quick settlement by LSU when she filed suit. It seems unlikely Summitt will get paid off in the same manner.

My understanding is that Pokey's relationships were with players on her roster at the time.

There was never any denial of the reports that it was an active player.

PostPosted: 04/08/16 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
Obviously it takes two to tango, so how about the player making this happen, you have to believe she is aware that Tyler is married and the situation/risk she is putting him in. It's unfortunate that it seems if she didn't get pregnant, this "affair" would likely continue on...

Coaches shouldn't have relationships with players. There's no excuse, really.

It's the first rule of any supervisor in dealing with his/her subordinates. This is the reason HR offices have annual meetings, to drive this point home. He had all the responsibility to not take the coach-player relationship further.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 04/08/16 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FYI: Student athletes cannot be penalized because of pregnancy, false pregnancy, childbirth, termination of pregnancy, or related conditions/recovery. Pregnant athletes must be treated like any other athlete with a temporary disability.

Scholarships: The Title IX regulations state that school financial assistance programs cannot apply rules treating students differently because of their sex. That means that you cannot lose your athletic scholarship just because you are pregnant. If you have an athletic scholarship and cannot play because of your medical condition, you must be treated the same as any other student with a temporary disability, including with regard to the provision of benefits while in recovery, and renewal of your award.

http://www.thepregnantscholar.org/extracurriculars-and-athletics/

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/08/16 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Louisiana Tech Policy 1450 - Consensual Relationships

"An employee of Lousiana Tech University shall not enter into a consensual sexual relationship with any individual over whom he or she exercises direct or significant academic, administrative, supervisory, evaluative, counseling or extracurricular authority or influence. "

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/08/16 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
zune69 wrote:
2.There should be a minimum age requirement of 30 years old for any HC position.

Damn the age discrimination laws, full speed ahead!

Age discrimination laws only apply to those 40 and over.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 04/08/16 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This scandal is devastating for the Tennessee WCBB fans who wanted Tyler to be their next coach.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/08/16 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
This scandal is devastating for the Tennessee WCBB fans who wanted Tyler to be their next coach.

Not all of us are that crazy.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/08/16 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, there's victim, and then there's "victim", and unless it comes out that Summitt was some sort of asshole about it- e.g. leveraging his authority-I think referring to the player as a victim is pc terminology at this point.

He broke the rules and lost his job, which is as it should be.

It's possible he will divorce his current wife and marry the mother of his child.

Who knows.

PostPosted: 04/08/16 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Terrible situation. My first/second thought when I read this news was "What does Mickie think?" She's his auntie basically. She's a La Tech alum and she took the job as a way to honor Pat.

I bet Holly is pissed, too.

Horrible situation.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/08/16 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"In the context of sports programs within institutions of higher learning, sexual abuse can occur regardless of the minor/adult status of the student-athlete, and regardless of the age difference between the perpetrator and victims. Whether the student-athlete is 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, or older, she or he is significantly less powerful than a head coach, assistant coach, athletics trainer, sport psychologist, athletics director, or other athletics
department staff with supervisory control or authority over student-athletes. It is this power differential that makes such relationships inherently unequal, and when relationships are unequal, the concept of mutual consent becomes problematic.

Because of this power differential, any amorous or sexual relationship between coaches and student-athletes constitutes sexual abuse. In other words, the dynamics of the coach-athlete relationship in intercollegiate sport make any sexual contact between a coach and an athlete abusive, regardless of whether it was wanted by the athlete and regardless of whether the athlete is over the age of consent.

Some readers might disagree. Some will argue that coach-athlete liaisons are not abusive. Some will maintain that (as many coaches have told us) you cant control the heart, or you cant legislate against love, or as long as the two people are adults, no one can stop them from dating. These comments are self-justifying and, frankly, self-delusional. When coaches enter into sexual relationships with student-athletes, they almost always try to keep these liaisons secreteven if both parties are unmarried
because coaches are well aware that such relationships are inappropriate and unethical. They know deep down that infatuation, sexual attraction, and loving feelings do not, in fact, justify an authority figure in a sports program becoming sexually involved with a young adult who plays sports in that program. This is a violation of professional boundaries, and a violation of trust."

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Staying%2Bin%2BBounds%2BFinal.pdf

He probably should have read this while he was at Marquette - https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://scholarship.law.marquette.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi%3Farticle%3D1555%26context%3Dsportslaw&ved=0ahUKEwi1g8jNyP_LAhXlsIMKHTWpAiEQFgg-MAg&usg=AFQjCNEvZabZjRwitHizgEtOcR4Ke7weMw&sig2=IzUGpD-SXYWXW5c2H4FDqw

pilight

PostPosted: 04/08/16 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
pilight wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
mercfan wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
I wonder if this will make some AD's pause when thinking about hiring a male to be the women's basketball coach at their school.

I don't think it's any different with female coaches. People who are like this are going to conduct themselves innapropriatly no matter what sex they are. Good AD's will see this.

No kidding are people already forgetting about Pokey? Didn't hurt her coaching career much either.

Pokey didn't get anyone pregnant.

Pokey's relationship was with a former player. She was essentially fired for being a lesbian. Hence the quick settlement by LSU when she filed suit. It seems unlikely Summitt will get paid off in the same manner.

My understanding is that Pokey's relationships were with players on her roster at the time.

There was never any denial of the reports that it was an active player.

There was no admission of it either.

LSU was initially going to let Chatman continue to coach through the NCAA tournament. Would they do that if it was a current student? LSU settled the wrongful termination suit almost immediately. Would they do that if they had an open & shut case like a coach and a current student? Chatman was barely off campus before people started throwing job offers at her while the assistant who ratted on her is still a pariah who can't get a job above the High School level. Would that happen if she'd had a relationship with a current player?

PostPosted: 04/08/16 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Until we know what exactly happened, how about we stop going at the young lady allegedly involved. For all we know, this could have been a sexual harassment case, as he does have authoritative power over her. Or, it could have been a mutual and consented thing for both involved. This is unfortunate either way, and he deserves to lose his job.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/08/16 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AnDe Ragsdale, Tyler Summitts Wife: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Brooke Pumroy: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Ashley Santos ‏@ASantos_33 4h4 hours ago
Rumors Squashed. Don't talk about what you don't know. #notprego #LetsMoveOn #LadyTechsterTerritory
Santos is also tweeting with Kaela Davis's mother, Kendra.

What if Tyler divorces his wife, marries his alleged girlfriend and raises his alleged child. Does this redeem him?
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/08/16 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It seems more likely that Tyler's wife would divorce him.

HistoryWomensBasketball

PostPosted: 04/08/16 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, he obviously made his own bed... and slept in it as well.

Moron is only word I can come up with but my wife has a real good one for things like this

He's a f###wad.

I love Pat and only hope people are kind when around her, etc.

No sympathy for him taking advantage of his position.

www.barnstormingamerica.net
StevenHW

PostPosted: 04/08/16 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
2. There should be a minimum age requirement of 30 years old for any HC position.

If that were the case, even Pat Summitt would've been affected. Her first Head Coach position at TN began when she was only 22 years old in 1974!

PostPosted: 04/08/16 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per the La Tech board, their AD held a press conference to announce that Mickie is interim head coach during which he cried. Mickie is away on vacation but is meeting with the team when she returns. Besides Tyler and the young woman, everyone in that program must be devastated.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 04/08/16 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dummy!! Way to smear your mom's legacy. He got jobs because of his name and fucks it up. Wow

mzonefan

PostPosted: 04/08/16 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Per the La Tech board, their AD held a press conference to announce that Mickie is interim head coach during which he cried. Mickie is away on vacation but is meeting with the team when she returns. Besides Tyler and the young woman, everyone in that program must be devastated.

Or maybe they knew and were disgusted and are glad the secret's out.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/08/16 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a coach, he was in a position of authority, power, and responsibility. Which means that even if she climbed into his bed naked, grabbed his crotch, and said, "Coach, I'll do anything for more playing time", his response should have been, "For God's sake, put some clothes on, get over to the gym, put up a couple of hundred shots, and we'll talk about your playing time." Even if she wanted to initiate it, even if the interactions and the chemistry would have been completely consensual outside a player-coach dynamic, his duty was to say NO. If she pursued inappropriately, his responsibility was to resist and to report any potential harassment.

(and on a lighter, cruder, sleazier, highly inappropriate note- birth control, condoms, non P-in-V activities- if you're going to fuck around, don't leave evidence!)

I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering if this and Chinn will lead to a backlash against male coaches (not that I think it should or shouldn't, but the topic itself is interesting to unpack). Let the Moral Guardians say what they will about "those lesbians", but it's exponentially harder and requires much technological input for a lesbian to get a girl knocked up. At the very least, maybe people will think it's shady, not romantic, for a coach to marry one of their former players.

This young man has done wonders for the sport. I can't think of anyone better positioned to so efficiently shit over so much of WCBB's legacy in one fell swoop.

Everything I heard from less-than-public sources about the Chatman case indicated multiple, former and active, over a period of time.

PostPosted: 04/08/16 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

He took advantage of his position. She may have been stupid to get involved, but they are not equally culpable. Not even close.

He did. She was impossibly stupid. But yes, the levels of culpability are definitely more on the guy who was supposed to be in charge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: