RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Summitt's son abruptly resigns at Louisiana Tech
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/08/16 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
pilight wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Any repercussions expected for the player?

Like what? Withhold her degree?

Or remove her from the team if any eligibility is left.

That would make sense to me.

That would never happen. Its just not the way it works. Realistically, she isn't a victim, but she is treated as a victim in this scenario.

She is "treated" as a victim because she is. It's not a relationship between peers. He is in position of authority and control over her.

What would have happened if she said no or put an end to it? You think she could go right on as part of the team as if nothing had ever happened?

He took advantage of his position. She may have been stupid to get involved, but they are not equally culpable. Not even close.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 04/08/16 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
I wonder if this will make some AD's pause when thinking about hiring a male to be the women's basketball coach at their school.

I don't think it's any different with female coaches. People who are like this are going to conduct themselves innapropriatly no matter what sex they are. Good AD's will see this.

"People who are like this...." ....The fact that someone does something stupid and impulsive doesn't define their character for the rest of their lives. Good people do things they shouldn't do. Its life.

Genero36

PostPosted: 04/08/16 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Don't be so pessimistic and ahistorical. This is just a picayune Pelican State peccadillo. In three years Tyler will be making a million dollars a year coaching the top Russian team in the Euroleague, and in five years he'll be coaching the Chicago Sky.

PostPosted: 04/08/16 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
pilight wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

That would never happen. Its just not the way it works. Realistically, she isn't a victim, but she is treated as a victim in this scenario.

She is "treated" as a victim because she is. It's not a relationship between peers. He is in position of authority and control over her.

What would have happened if she said no or put an end to it? You think she could go right on as part of the team as if nothing had ever happened?

He took advantage of his position. She may have been stupid to get involved, but they are not equally culpable. Not even close.

We don't know exactly what happened. We certainly don't know that he coerced her in any way. Having said that, you are correct in that due to his position she is technically a victim. It is his responsibility to put the brakes on and not allow things to happen.

LitePal

PostPosted: 04/08/16 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really wonder if Tyler Summitt got married to make his mother happy. He wasn't/isn't ready for that commitment. No excuses for him but his situation is miserable and he made it worse for everyone.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/08/16 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Pokey's relationship was with a former player.

It's far from clear that it wasn't with a then-current player(s), and LSU indicated there was more than one.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/08/16 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
pilight wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

We don't know exactly what happened. We certainly don't know that he coerced her in any way. Having said that, you are correct in that due to his position she is technically a victim. It is his responsibility to put the brakes on and not allow things to happen.

It doesn't matter. It's coercive because of the power, whether it's exercised or not. There is no equality in the relationship. That threat is always hanging overhead. It's not a technicality.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/08/16 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

And she wasn't married (that I know of) or in another relationship.

Questionable. The comon story is that the assistant coach who turned her in was the jilted one.

The details are sparse. None of those directly involved ever spoke publicly.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 04/08/16 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/08/16 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
pilight wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

No, she's not a victim. She was an equal opportunity participant, in this case, and IMNSHO, an extremely stupid young woman, just as he is an extremely stupid young man. They are both old enough to know better and should have. ~smdh~ And FFS, didn't either one of them ever hear of BIRTH CONTROL?

That said, I am also old enough and have been around long enough to know that there are at least five sides, if not more, to every story, and nothing is as it seems at first look. I also believe in forgiveness and redemption and know that you have to work at the latter. Forgiveness, however, means giving up all hope of a better past and for some, that takes awhile to come around to.

If I were the mother of either of these young people, I would probably have some really hard things to say to them. In the end, I would still love them and forgive them because that's what moms do. For the rest of the world, it will take time. Most people don't seem to know what forgiveness is about. They only deal in revenge fantasy, from what I can see.

/off my soapbox

PostPosted: 04/08/16 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
These rumors have been active on the LaTech and other boards for several days. Since the rumors have turned out to be substantially true, the identity of the player involved can probably be narrowed down from the info on those boards.

Yeah, I read that LA Tech board thread and then did a little roster checking, it was pretty easy to figure out. Well, assuming I'm right, it was easy.

And since he broke Coaching Rule #1, anyone who ever even thinks of employing him as a coach of women again should join him on the unemployment line.

And for those who don't know Coaching Rule #1, it is this:

IF YOU COACH THEM, YOU CAN'T FUCK THEM!

I mean really...what is so goddamn hard to understand about this relatively simple to understand rule?

Thank you

PostPosted: 04/08/16 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
pilight wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

It doesn't matter. It's coercive because of the power, whether it's exercised or not. There is no equality in the relationship. That threat is always hanging overhead. It's not a technicality.

Yes, it is assumed to be coercive regardless of the circumstances. I'm not saying it isn't or that that it shouldn't be. I have seen these types of situations develop and those involved are often very good people that make a very bad choice.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/08/16 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
pilight wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

No, she's not a victim. She was an equal opportunity participant, in this case, and IMNSHO, an extremely stupid young woman, just as he is an extremely stupid young man. They are both old enough to know better and should have. ~smdh~ And FFS, didn't either one of them ever hear of BIRTH CONTROL?

That said, I am also old enough and have been around long enough to know that there are at least five sides, if not more, to every story, and nothing is as it seems at first look. I also believe in forgiveness and redemption and know that you have to work at the latter. Forgiveness, however, means giving up all hope of a better past and for some, that takes awhile to come around to.

If I were the mother of either of these young people, I would probably have some really hard things to say to them. In the end, I would still love them and forgive them because that's what moms do. For the rest of the world, it will take time. Most people don't seem to know what forgiveness is about. They only deal in revenge fantasy, from what I can see.

/off my soapbox

I understand you're going to defend Tyler to the death, but saying they're equally to blame is just wrong. He's the coach, she's a student and player, he took advantage of his position, they're not equal, and there aren't five sides. There's one. He's a university employee and the coach and he knocked up a student/player. It's really simple. Don't even try to defend him.

And if he was old enough to be a Division 1 head coach (as you've been telling us for two years that he was) he doesn't qualify for the "young people" defense. Can't have it both ways.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 04/08/16 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 04/08/16 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
pilight wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

/off my soapbox

You are correct. They often don't know what forgiveness is about until it is one of their own. They want people punished harshly, until it is one of their own. They readily cast people as being broken, until it is one of their own.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/08/16 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
pilight wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

/off my soapbox

I understand you're going to defend Tyler to the death, but saying they're equally to blame is just wrong. He's the coach, she's a student and player, he took advantage of his position, they're not equal, and there aren't five sides. There's one. He's a university employee and the coach and he knocked up a student/player. It's really simple. Don't even try to defend him.

And if he was old enough to be a Division 1 head coach (as you've been telling us for two years that he was) he doesn't qualify for the "young people" defense. Can't have it both ways.

^^^^^Prime example^^^^^^
Who also cannot distinguish between "defending" (which I am most decidedly NOT) and explaining a nuanced stand on the subject. But that is the last time I will answer a post from YOU on the subject.

Last edited by summertime blues on 04/08/16 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/08/16 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's called taking responsibility for your choices and actions. Seems to be a dying concept

Some people just want to make excuses..

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 04/08/16 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 04/08/16 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
pilight wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

/off my soapbox

He made a mistake Art. He didn't stalk young children and prey upon them. He is paying for that mistake by losing his job. Its really that simple.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 04/08/16 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
It's called taking responsibility for your choices and actions. Seems to be a dying concept

Some people just want to make excuses..

Seems like he has taken responsibility. What more would you have him to do>?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/08/16 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:

He made a mistake Art. He didn't stalk young children and prey upon them. He is paying for that mistake by losing his job. Its really that simple.

Actualy he did prey on a younger vulnerable subordinate.

No one's saying he should go to jail. But he hurt lots of people by his irresponibility. His wife, the girl, his employer, his players, and most importantly his imminent child. He seriously changed peoples' lives. And not for the better.

So don't give me that "oh he just made a little mistake, let's forgive and forget" nonsense. What he did to his wife, the girl, and the baby isn't going to vanish tomorrow.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/08/16 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
And FFS, didn't either one of them ever hear of BIRTH CONTROL?

Such things fail sometimes.

PostPosted: 04/08/16 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

No one's saying he should go to jail. But he hurt lots of people by his irresponibility. His wife, the girl, his employer, his players, and most importantly his imminent child. He seriously changed peoples' lives. And not for the better.

So don't give me that "oh he just made a little mistake, let's forgive and forget" nonsense. What he did to his wife, the girl, and the baby isn't going to vanish tomorrow.

So you think branding him as though he is some pedophile makes any of that situation better? That is hogwash. He didn't "prey" on anyone from what I have read. I know that the PC thing to say is that he some child predator, but I don't give a crap what the PC thing to say is. I would much rather base my opinions on the actual events, rather than what the crowd dribbles on about.

Nobody called it a little mistake. Losing your job/career and possibly your marriage, is not some slap on the wrist.

Last edited by PlayBally'all on 04/08/16 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/08/16 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

So you think branding him as though he is some pedophile makes any of that situation better? That is hogwash. He didn't "prey" on anyone from what I have read. I know that the PC thing to say is that he some child predator, but I don't give a crap what the PC thing to say is. I would much rather base my opinions on the actual events, rather than what the crowd dribbles on about.

Hey, let's not feed the troll any more, OK? Wink

PostPosted: 04/08/16 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

He did. You are actually the one making unwarranted assumptions.

I never understand why some people always want to excuse the perp and blame the victim. Some people just want to assume it's always the woman's fault and make excuses for the man.

Yeap, poor Coach Tyler. Seduced and ruined by that young siren. She cast her evil spell and there was nothing he could do. Yeah that must be what happened. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/08/16 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Think he's wishing he had followed his dad's footsteps into banking right now?

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/08/16 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

I think he did follow in his dad's footsteps in some respects.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/08/16 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

I think he did follow in his dad's footsteps in some respects.

The wrong one!

At least he'd have a shot at getting a new job in the same field.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: