RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Summitt's son abruptly resigns at Louisiana Tech
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/08/16 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's a great line spoken by the Olympia Dukakis character (who plays Cher's mom) in the movie "Moonstruck"....."My mother always told me 'Don't shit where you eat"." An Italian-born friend of mine assures me it's authentic.

Would that both of them had absorbed that bit of wisdom.

PostPosted: 04/08/16 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TV report of LaTech AD's press conference:

http://www.ktbs.com/story/31680658/la-tech-ad-tommy-mcclelland-its-a-disappointing-and-heartbreaking-time-for-everyone

"Tech said that allegations were brought to the university and investigated before Thursday morning at 10:00 a.m. when Louisiana Tech president Dr. Les Guice and McClelland met with Summit who offered his resignation. At 3:55 p.m., they alerted the press and then met with senior staff. At 4:30 p.m., McClelland contacted assistant head coach Mickie DeMoss to notify her of Summit's resignation and she agreed to be the interim Lady Techster head coach. And then at 5:30, McClelland met with the entire women's basketball program."
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 04/08/16 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some of the posts are cold, I tell ya. It is like hiring a stand up comedian as a segue to an execution. Cool

PostPosted: 04/08/16 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Louisiana Tech puts recruit Jaida Roper's release request on hold
Quote:
When Jaida Roper signed her national letter of intent to Louisiana Tech last November, it was the culmination of a two-year process of getting to know and trust Tyler Summitt and his staff.

Now, upon learning the news of his abrupt resignation as head coach on Thursday, the three-star point guard from Memphis, Tennessee, has asked Louisiana Tech to release her from her commitment. But according to Roper's mom, Kina Roper, the school has denied her request, at least until a new coach is in place.

A National Letter of Intent remains binding -- a student-athlete is required to attend the institution for one year or lose a year of competition eligibility -- when a coach leaves a school unless a release is granted by the institution. A student-athlete can appeal an institution's decision to the NLI Appeals Committee.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15166699/louisiana-tech-lady-techsters-put-recruit-jaida-roper-release-request-hold

PostPosted: 04/08/16 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Terrible situation. My first/second thought when I read this news was "What does Mickie think?" She's his auntie basically. She's a La Tech alum and she took the job as a way to honor Pat.

I bet Holly is pissed, too.

Horrible situation.

I read in someone's post on another site that Pat was in assisted living and in bad shape. Is this true. does anyone know this.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/08/16 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. You would think that at a point in time when they should be embarassed as hell and seeking a low profile the last thing they would want to do is to appear publicly like they're being inconsiderate assholes to another young woman.

I'm generally not critical of schools who reasonably deny waivers, but there's a time and a place for everything. And when your head coach just had to quit for knocking up a player I would think the responsible course would be let any player who felt (or whose parents felt) uncomfortable in that environment to leave without restriction.

It always amazes me how poor so many universities are at crisis management. Does no adult stop to ask "how is this going to look"?

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/08/16 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

😱

Last edited by dtsnms on 04/09/16 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total
dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/08/16 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

double post

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/08/16 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ashley Santos denies rumors that it's her that is pregnant.

Quote:
“Ashley’s just an innocent bystander … ,’’ Jose Santos, Ashley’s father, told USA TODAY Sports. “People were asking if she was pregnant, so she defended herself. That’s all that it is."

Attempts to reach Pumroy for comment were unsuccessful. She announced during the season she would forgo her last year of eligibility, and on Friday Ashley Santos’ parents said their daughter, Pumroy’s former roommate, did not know where Pumroy was.

“She hasn’t seen her,’’ Lori Santos said. “She hasn’t spoken to her. Nothing."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2016/04/08/tyler-summitt-louisiana-tech-player-pregnant-ashley-santos/82821228/

Last edited by Ex-Ref on 04/08/16 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 04/08/16 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought it was a goofy hiring from the start. I don't care who his mother is. Just too young and inexperienced. It was a mickey mouse hire, imo. LA Tech got what they deserved.

I wonder how Pat took this.

PostPosted: 04/08/16 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have heard from really reliable sources that if some player is not preggie then lawsuits are getting ready to start flying. You moronic never done anything wrong idiots better be deleting your posts claiming he did and your tweets. Just saying. Slander on a national stage is a ugly business. Even if he had a relationship with a player, and you publish stuff like this thats untrue about a kid and coach, you are getting ready to pay up. Some of you have not one brain cell. And I am not defending this man either. Just telling you how stupid some of you are.

Brinx

PostPosted: 04/08/16 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh Lillian! Laughing

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/09/16 12:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lillian Hidgepork wrote:
I have heard from really reliable sources that if some player is not preggie then lawsuits are getting ready to start flying.

I don't know about your "sources", but it is possible that Tyler Summitt and the allegedly impregnated girlfriend could have defamation or false light tort suits if in fact there is no pregnancy. Summitt is likely a "public figure" so he would have a much more difficult time winning such a case. Either plaintiff would have to prove actual economic damages, which might be difficult.

The most likely defendants in such a lawsuit would be the one(s) who first published the impregnation claim. To my knowledge, that is SB Nation/Swish Appeal and its writer/editor Mike Robinson. Swish Appeal claims it had multiple sources for the impregnation claim, but wisely did not name the alleged pregnant girlfriend. These multiple sources would also be targets for such a lawsuit, and Swish Appeal would face legal pressure to disclose their sources' names.

Now, let's think practically about this. Suppose you were a writer or editor faced with a source who claimed X is pregnant. Would you believe that source and publish that claim? I wouldn't, not unless X was the pregnant girl herself, her doctor (speaking with patient permission), or someone who possessed concrete medical records proving that X is pregnant. After all, who else could really be a source of accurate information about such an otherwise unascertainable medical claim? More difficultly, even if there were proof that X is pregnant, there would not be evidence that Y is the father unless X states that, Y states that, or a fetal DNA test is available to prove it. Swish Appeal better have some darn good sources.

I choose to discuss such issues, if at all, in the subjunctive, conditional or hypothetical sense -- "if", "alleged", "claimed", "reported", "in the event that", etc.)
Genero36

PostPosted: 04/09/16 12:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have a feeling that Brooklyn will be hard to find.

PostPosted: 04/09/16 12:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Wow. You would think that at a point in time when they should be embarassed as hell and seeking a low profile the last thing they would want to do is to appear publicly like they're being inconsiderate assholes to another young woman.

I'm generally not critical of schools who reasonably deny waivers, but there's a time and a place for everything. And when your head coach just had to quit for knocking up a player I would think the responsible course would be let any player who felt (or whose parents felt) uncomfortable in that environment to leave without restriction.

It always amazes me how poor so many universities are at crisis management. Does no adult stop to ask "how is this going to look"?

While I totally agree with you, I'm wondering if they are waiting until DeMoss is back from vacation on Sunday and let her call the recruits - apparently she verbally accepted the offer to be the interim coach when reached while out of the country.

Just a thought.

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/09/16 1:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I was reading through this thread and was reading some of the articles linked here and articles I found via other links and is supposedly this relationship started before either of them were at Louisiana Tech, it is possible it started before they were every in a coach/player situation. I of course have no information on either person, but given he used to coach in AAU and the basketball community isn't exactly a big one and many people know other people, he could have known her every before her became her coach and something started before as well. That doesn't excuse him from continuing it once he became her coach, but it certainly changes the narrative that he had any type of power over her when their relationship started.

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/09/16 1:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lillian Hidgepork wrote:
I have heard from really reliable sources that if some player is not preggie then lawsuits are getting ready to start flying. You moronic never done anything wrong idiots better be deleting your posts claiming he did and your tweets. Just saying. Slander on a national stage is a ugly business. Even if he had a relationship with a player, and you publish stuff like this thats untrue about a kid and coach, you are getting ready to pay up. Some of you have not one brain cell. And I am not defending this man either. Just telling you how stupid some of you are.

Since it its written and not oral I believe it would be libel not slander.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 04/09/16 5:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
Quote:
When Jaida Roper signed her national letter of intent to Louisiana Tech last November, it was the culmination of a two-year process of getting to know and trust Tyler Summitt and his staff.

Now, upon learning the news of his abrupt resignation as head coach on Thursday, the three-star point guard from Memphis, Tennessee, has asked Louisiana Tech to release her from her commitment. But according to Roper's mom, Kina Roper, the school has denied her request, at least until a new coach is in place.

A National Letter of Intent remains binding -- a student-athlete is required to attend the institution for one year or lose a year of competition eligibility -- when a coach leaves a school unless a release is granted by the institution. A student-athlete can appeal an institution's decision to the NLI Appeals Committee.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15166699/louisiana-tech-lady-techsters-put-recruit-jaida-roper-release-request-hold

Shame on La Tech. The immediate response to this high school student should have been to grant the waiver. No reason to wait till there's a new coach. This is a classic situation in which a waiver should be given. There is nothing for a new coach to consider. What idiots.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 04/09/16 6:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
So I was reading through this thread and was reading some of the articles linked here and articles I found via other links and is supposedly this relationship started before either of them were at Louisiana Tech, it is possible it started before they were every in a coach/player situation. I of course have no information on either person, but given he used to coach in AAU and the basketball community isn't exactly a big one and many people know other people, he could have known her every before her became her coach and something started before as well. That doesn't excuse him from continuing it once he became her coach, but it certainly changes the narrative that he had any type of power over her when their relationship started.

Did you miss the part where he was her assistant coach at Marquette, and she followed him to LaTech?

Phil

PostPosted: 04/09/16 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
Genero36 wrote:
Quote:

Shame on La Tech. The immediate response to this high school student should have been to grant the waiver. No reason to wait till there's a new coach. This is a classic situation in which a waiver should be given. There is nothing for a new coach to consider. What idiots.

I think that's an overreaction. No one has said the hold is until a new coaches named. It may simply be that Mickey Demoss is on vacation; give her a chance to return home and make a phone call.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 04/09/16 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/ASantos_33/status/718472522249805824

Rolling Eyes

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/09/16 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What did Mickie DeMoss know and when did she know it?

Apparently, the LaTech AD thinks she knew nothing, given that he's anointed her interim head coach.

I would be very suspicious and skeptical. The sense from the LaTech boards seems to be that this rumor was all around the team, if not much of the campus, for quite a while. Someone finally spilled some convincing beans to the AD and university president earlier this week. Who, if not the coaching staff?
CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 04/09/16 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
CourtsideTix wrote:
Genero36 wrote:
Quote:

I think that's an overreaction. No one has said the hold is until a new coaches named. It may simply be that Mickey Demoss is on vacation; give her a chance to return home and make a phone call.

Perhaps you might want to read before you criticize.

miller40

PostPosted: 04/09/16 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
Genero36 wrote:
Quote:

Agreed. Really bad move on their part.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/09/16 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lillian Hidgepork wrote:

Would I be correct in assuming you're not a lawyer?

I am dying to hear the theory for how the damages for stating the coach slept with the player and got her pregnant exceed the damage suffered for the admitted seeping with the player.

The odds that UConn was going to win the title were really high; they're nothing compared to the odds against anyone getting sued for defamation over this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: