RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

FIU coach Chinn in some serious trouble

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/01/16 10:30 pm    ::: FIU coach Chinn in some serious trouble Reply Reply with quote

Here's the article:

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14879922/fiu-suspends-coach-marlin-chinn-player-allegation

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/01/16 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, brother. Sounds like he is up that proverbial estuary without a means of locomotion....

PostPosted: 03/07/16 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2016/03/04/fiu-athlete-under-investigation-before-sexual-harassment-allegations/

Quote:
FIU Police was investigating Destini Feagin in a criminal theft case that was opened February 15th.

“Based on information provided to the Athletic Department on February 22nd, the student-athlete was suspended from the women’s basketball team the following day,”a letter sent by the school stated.

The school says following her suspension, Feagin reported the allegations against Coach Marlin Chinn saying he sexually harassed her – prompting an investigation.

Quote:
Feagin claims that the coach suspended her after she refused his advances.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/07/16 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well that is an interesting twist. This also seems like a situation that has potential to get kind of ugly.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/07/16 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Curiouser and curiouser........

PostPosted: 10/14/16 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, the situation has reached its potential and become very ugly. Chinn has since been fired and Feagin is now suing Chinn and FIU.

http://www.wptv.com/news/local-news/investigations/former-fiu-womens-basketball-player-sues-former-coach-university

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 10/14/16 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wait, she got arrested for theft and she's bitching about getting kicked off the team?

Oh, the coach is an ass and definitely should've been fired. But please tell me the player isn't getting a free pass on her legal wrongdoing.
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 10/17/16 5:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is more reported info about the scandal:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/conference-usa/florida-international-university/article75362592.html

Quote:
The arrest affidavit says basketball player Kristian Hudson filed an FIU police report indicating her card had been stolen on Feb. 15. An investigation showed Feagin used the card several times from Feb. 2-10. Nicholson paid $350 to Hudson’s account on Feb. 29.

Feagin was suspended for the final four regular season games after admitting using Hudson’s card to buy food and toiletries.

After her suspension, she recorded a conversation about it with Chinn.

Two days later, she took that recording — on which the newlywed father-to-be can be heard saying, “Married. Kid on the way. Attracted to a woman I have, No. 1, no business being with because I’m coaching her. I’m putting everything on the line because of how I feel about you” — along with text messages dating back to summer 2015 to FIU Athletics Administration. She told them Chinn repeatedly made unwanted sexual advances toward her throughout the season.

There may be other articles/reports with better time-lines of the events of this case, but that tells me that Feagin only went to FIU officials about the sexual harassment from Chinn no sooner than two days AFTER she was suspended. She's made claims of "administrators and assistant coaches" who knew of unwanted or inappropriate actions by Chinn towards Feagin, but has she named these people?

As other reports go, FIU initiated an investigation into her accusations, as well as her claim that Chinn gave her $600, which is a NCAA violation. Reports are that Chinn denies making sexual advances to Feagin, but admitted to paying her the money. Apparently there's enough evidence however that FIU pretty much concluded that Feagin's claims were substantiated, and fired Chinn. But unless there's more to this story that hasn't yet been revealed - like Feagin providing more evidence of earlier communications with FIU administration about Chinn's advances towards her - IMO it's wrong to sue FIU as if they were aware, were told and did nothing, Because all the reported info suggests that after they were told - after Feagin's suspension for the debit card theft and use - they promptly investigated and sided with Feagin, firing Chinn. Sounds like Feagin just wants to get what she can, but there could be more to this......

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/17/16 7:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:

There may be other articles/reports with better time-lines of the events of this case, but that tells me that Feagin only went to FIU officials about the sexual harassment from Chinn no sooner than two days AFTER she was suspended. She's made claims of "administrators and assistant coaches" who knew of unwanted or inappropriate actions by Chinn towards Feagin, but has she named these people?

As other reports go, FIU initiated an investigation into her accusations, as well as her claim that Chinn gave her $600, which is a NCAA violation. Reports are that Chinn denies making sexual advances to Feagin, but admitted to paying her the money. Apparently there's enough evidence however that FIU pretty much concluded that Feagin's claims were substantiated, and fired Chinn. But unless there's more to this story that hasn't yet been revealed - like Feagin providing more evidence of earlier communications with FIU administration about Chinn's advances towards her - IMO it's wrong to sue FIU as if they were aware, were told and did nothing, Because all the reported info suggests that after they were told - after Feagin's suspension for the debit card theft and use - they promptly investigated and sided with Feagin, firing Chinn. Sounds like Feagin just wants to get what she can, but there could be more to this......

There may be much more evidence than we've heard since Feagin stated Chinn had been sending her inappropriate texts since 2015 and she apparently showed them to friends.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 10/18/16 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

There may be much more evidence than we've heard since Feagin stated Chinn had been sending her inappropriate texts since 2015 and she apparently showed them to friends.

Correct, and the article that I quoted and bolded stated that she delivered those texts to FIU administration - along with the recorded conversation with Chinn - at least 2 days AFTER she was suspended by FIU. Now she is suing FIU. My question is, what evidence does she have that FIU administrators KNEW of the sexual harassment by Chinn PRIOR to Feagin being suspended?

If she can provide no evidence that she contacted school officials regarding the harassment PRIOR to her suspension from the team - when it was apparently going on all season long, and she was thoughtful enough to record and save correspondence with Chinn throughout the season but somehow wasn't able to save evidence of contacting FIU officials about the harassment - then how can she prove that FIU even knew of the harassment beforehand? And if she can't, then how can she sue FIU for - I don't know, covering up the harassment? Looking the other way? Failing to perform their duty of investigating per Title IX laws? I'm not sure just what Feagin is accusing FIU of doing or not doing. Again, FIU seems to have quickly investigated the matter after they were informed by Feagin AFTER the suspensions, and it resulted in Chinn being fired. Doesn't sound like a cover-up to me.

Also, student credit/debit card theft and use by other students is sadly not the most uncommon thing in this day and age at universities. I'm sure there have been other cases of such thefts being committed by student-athletes and non-athletic students at FIU. I wonder what the school's policy for punishing students who have committed such thefts: are they suspended? Expelled? I would like to see what if any precedents that have been set prior to the case involving Feagin, and how they compare to hers in terms of severity or leniency.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: