RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

A couple of branches of Pat's coaching tree bearing fruit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/07/16 12:21 pm    ::: A couple of branches of Pat's coaching tree bearing fruit Reply Reply with quote

Kellie Harper's Missouri State Lady Bears are currently tied with Drake for first place in the Missouri Valley Conference with a conference record of 8-2.
Tyler Summitt's Lady Techsters are currently in third or 4th place (depending on how you figure it--there are a pair of teams tied for 2nd) in C-USA with a conference record of 7-3. Not bad, since they were in the basement when he took them over a couple of years ago.

ThIs is good news anyway, as other branches not doing so well (Nikki Fargas, Niya Butts, and this year Jody Adams, to name a few). OTOH, you have to remember that more coaches have so-so or losing records than have standout ones, and many toil in obscurity. It's nice to see some doing good things. I always thought Kellie would have a good team somewhere, and it's nice to see Tyler developing his team and turning into a good coach as I thought he would. I think and hope that he has the sense not to be swayed by the glamor of the big time just yet. He is pretty level-headed and seems to be focused on what he said was his objective, of rebuilding LA Tech and making them a force to be reckoned with once again.

PostPosted: 02/07/16 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kellie's Missouri State team lost today against Drake so they're back in 2nd place in the conference.

But at 15-8 overall, they are hopefully setting themselves up for a big finish to the regular season.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/08/16 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Missouri State-Drake can go either way when they meet again, IMO. And if the Lady Bears don't get to the Big Dance, they'll likely go to the WNIT and do very well. My main point was that they're a very well-coached team, and they've survived the departure of their #1 recruit just fine.

PostPosted: 02/08/16 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Missouri State-Drake can go either way when they meet again, IMO. And if the Lady Bears don't get to the Big Dance, they'll likely go to the WNIT and do very well. My main point was that they're a very well-coached team, and they've survived the departure of their #1 recruit just fine. I think Kellie may yet turn out to be the best of Pat's protégés insofar as coaching.

PostPosted: 02/08/16 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Missouri State-Drake can go either way when they meet again, IMO. And if the Lady Bears don't get to the Big Dance, they'll likely go to the WNIT and do very well. My main point was that they're a very well-coached team, and they've survived the departure of their #1 recruit just fine.

Oh I agree that they are well coached. I'm a huge fan of Kellie Harper.

Though I have to admit, I haven't followed the team as closely this year. Who was the recruit who left?
summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/08/16 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Though I have to admit, I haven't followed the team as closely this year. Who was the recruit who left?

Riley Rose, highly touted freshman out of Arkansas. Don't know where she transferred to.

PostPosted: 02/08/16 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Riley Rose, highly touted freshman out of Arkansas. Don't know where she transferred to.

Rose transferred to Harding University. Here's a link to the announcement
http://www.hardingsports.com/news/2016/1/6/WBB_0106165724.aspx

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 02/08/16 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any idea why she transferred?
summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/08/16 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Probably couldn't take the heavy duty coaching/practice stuff and not being "Miss It" /s

Harding isn't exactly all that, even compared to Missouri State. They're a DII school run by the Church of Christ and have been given an academic grade of B+ by the rankings website Niche. Miss Rose should be "Miss It" there in short order.

PostPosted: 02/09/16 12:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Probably couldn't take the heavy duty coaching/practice stuff and not being "Miss It" /s

Harding isn't exactly all that, even compared to Missouri State. They're a DII school run by the Church of Christ and have been given an academic grade of B+ by the rankings website Niche. Miss Rose should be "Miss It" there in short order.

Riley Rose went to Harding Academy for high school, a private religious school in Searcy, Arkansas. She transferred to Harding University, a private religious university in Searcy Arkansas. Can you think of any other reasons she might have transferred other than she couldn't take the heavy duty coaching/practice stuff from one of Pat's former players and that she wanted to be "Miss It"?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/09/16 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Riley Rose went to Harding Academy for high school, a private religious school in Searcy, Arkansas. She transferred to Harding University, a private religious university in Searcy Arkansas. Can you think of any other reasons she might have transferred other than she couldn't take the heavy duty coaching/practice stuff from one of Pat's former players and that she wanted to be "Miss It"?

Yeah, going back home to be Miss Everything again. Right in the bosom of her "family". She was homesick for that. To be charitable, she is probably not mature enough to handle a large university environment, with all that entails. Some kids aren't. And Kellie, while not at all like Pat, *will* drive you hard, and she might not have been able to handle that either.

PostPosted: 02/09/16 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

*duplicate*

Last edited by tfan on 02/09/16 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
tfan

PostPosted: 02/09/16 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

*duplicate*

Last edited by tfan on 02/09/16 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
tfan

PostPosted: 02/09/16 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
tfan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Yeah, going back home to be Miss Everything again. Right in the bosom of her "family". She was homesick for that. To be charitable, she is probably not mature enough to handle a large university environment, with all that entails. Some kids aren't. And Kellie, while not at all like Pat, *will* drive you hard, and she might not have been able to handle that either.

I think you should put "probably" in every sentence you make about her reasons for transferring, since you don't know what her motivations are. I think you are miffed that she transferred away from a Lady Vol coach and are turning it into a negative action because of that (as we can tend to do towards players who transfer from a school we root for).

But transferring to be closer to a "family", whether that is religious or actual, , doesn't sound bad to me. Nor does wanting to have an easier practice. She is going to college, not playing a pro sport. And I would prefer to be "Miss Everything" to "Miss One of the Bunch" in a college sport.

Last edited by tfan on 02/09/16 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 02/09/16 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
tfan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I don't why there is a need to put negative attributions on a player when we don't know anything about that personas a human being. After all they are someone's child.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/09/16 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I mainly don't have much use for Harding Academy or Harding University, for reasons which I will keep to myself as they have no place here.

PostPosted: 02/10/16 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jody Adams hit a rough spot this year, but she has had a remarkable run at Wichita State. She may be the best of the bunch in terms of Pat's coaching tree. Just my opinion.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/10/16 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
Jody Adams hit a rough spot this year, but she has had a remarkable run at Wichita State. She may be the best of the bunch in terms of Pat's coaching tree. Just my opinion.

Jody is a very good coach. She is a little "rougher" in her approach, or so I have heard, than Kellie is, but that's just her style. And they all hit a rough patch now and then! (I do wish someone would teach Jody how to dress, though--eek) Both of them were point guards, which proves to me at least that my personal theory might be right..that PGs might make the best coaches because they have to "see" the whole floor and manage the game. (Tyler was a PG too.)

And I don't think Nikki Fargas is a bad coach. I think she is a terrible recruiter.

PostPosted: 02/10/16 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

Jody is a very good coach. She is a little "rougher" in her approach, or so I have heard, than Kellie is, but that's just her style. And they all hit a rough patch now and then! (I do wish someone would teach Jody how to dress, though--eek) Both of them were point guards, which proves to me at least that my personal theory might be right..that PGs might make the best coaches because they have to "see" the whole floor and manage the game. (Tyler was a PG too.)

And I don't think Nikki Fargas is a bad coach. I think she is a terrible recruiter.

I couldn't agree more. Kellie almost got the Auburn job, in fact, several of us were lobbying hard for that to happen. She made the final 2 candidates and they offered to Terri Williams-Flournoy. She would have fit in very well with the fan base.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/10/16 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

I couldn't agree more. Kellie almost got the Auburn job, in fact, several of us were lobbying hard for that to happen. She made the final 2 candidates and they offered to Terri Williams-Flournoy. She would have fit in very well with the fan base.

Kellie was an assistant at Auburn, so well known to the fan base. If Coach Flo is fired, do you think she might be offered the job again? And more importantly, do you think she would take it? (I wish she'd come back to Tennessee, but I don't see that happening, although Pat once predicted that it would, eventually.....)

PostPosted: 02/10/16 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Kellie was an assistant at Auburn, so well known to the fan base. If Coach Flo is fired, do you think she might be offered the job again? And more importantly, do you think she would take it? (I wish she'd come back to Tennessee, but I don't see that happening, although Pat once predicted that it would, eventually.....)

I like the team she has with Missouri State, so in a selfish way I hope she stays with them a while. That Kenzie Williams is a fantastic player in my book.

I don't know much about Auburn, but given the way things are going at UT, I think any former player for the team might be considered crazy to try and follow the path laid down by Summitt.

You really can't win, no matter how many games you actually win.
PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 02/11/16 1:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:

She would have taken it 4 years ago, so I'm fairly certain she would. Of course, that is just speculation on my part. She has a 2 year old now and I don't know how much she likes Springfield, Missouri. That being said, she met Jon at Auburn and he could be her full time paid assistant without nepotism issues (Bruce Pearl has hired his son and Clint Myers, softball, has also hired his son). Add a nice raise to go along with being in the SEC with fantastic new facilities and a terrific recruiting area that she knows extremely well & I would be shocked if she didn't.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/11/16 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I like the team she has with Missouri State, so in a selfish way I hope she stays with them a while. That Kenzie Williams is a fantastic player in my book.

I don't know much about Auburn, but given the way things are going at UT, I think any former player for the team might be considered crazy to try and follow the path laid down by Summitt.

You really can't win, no matter how many games you actually win.

I think she is building a fine team at MSU. Look at the recruits she's pulled in for next year (another thread), even though they may not be nationally ranked, they look solid. Of course, she loses Williams, Hilary Chvatal, and Tyonna Snow, so there's the matter of who will replace them.

But Kellie knows Auburn, and Auburn knows her. She was there as an assistant and her husband is from there. It would definitely be a step up. I would personally not want to stay in Springfield forever, but maybe it's improved since I had much to do with it (part of family is from near there). Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Anyway, I have great respect for Kellie and agree with Pat that she might be the smartest player she ever coached.

PostPosted: 02/13/16 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Missouri State beat Loyola last night 91-81 in OT. Tyonna Snow scored 41 points.

I looked at the box score and said, "Well when you put her at the line for 29 shots, chances are she's going to score a lot of points."

She hit 21 out of 29 free throws.

The team has a lot of talent and Kellie Harper seems to be getting them aimed in the right direction for postseason play.
linkster

PostPosted: 02/13/16 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WOW. Looked up the box score.

61 fouls called

81 ft attempts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: