RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sylvia Hatchell Suspended For 2 Games

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greatgator

PostPosted: 01/29/16 5:27 pm    ::: Sylvia Hatchell Suspended For 2 Games Reply Reply with quote

Sylvia Hatchell has been suspended 2 games by UNC. 1 for bumping an official, 1 for a Level III recruiting violation.

http://abc11.com/sports/uncs-sylvia-hatchell-suspended-for-2-games/1179386/

zune69

PostPosted: 01/30/16 2:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hatchell should just retire at this point or get fired.The situation at unc is embarrassing.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/30/16 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree. They supported her long enough. I am beginning to wonder if she got "chemo brain", and that is being said with some pity, from a nurse's viewpoint.

PostPosted: 01/30/16 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Hatchell should just retire at this point or get fired.The situation at unc is embarrassing.

Given that they are already going to get punished for NCAA issues, she just cannot have another NCAA issue this year. She has an experienced staff, getting in trouble for recruiting is inexcusable. Given the NCAA issues I think it would be fair to let her go, but the other line of thinking is you don't want to hire a new coach before these NCAA sanctions are announced because it will rightly scare away some good potential candidates. Things like NCAA tournament bans, scholarship reductions, and so forth are major issues. One idea may be to just let Hatchell coach out the next year or two and maybe the effect of sanctions will be lessened for a new coach.

I'd be interested to see the candidates UNC can attract given the looming sanctions that sound serious.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/30/16 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well-deserved.

PostPosted: 02/01/16 12:06 pm    ::: Sylvia wasn't apologetic in her post game interviews Reply Reply with quote

Quoted from The Daily Tar Heel

"As she strode onto the court, her face beet red while she screamed at the top of her lungs, Hatchell collided with referee Bruce Morris — who promptly blew his whistle for a technical foul against Hatchell.“I wasn’t trying to hit him or anything,” Hatchell said. “I was trying to get his attention, because obviously I thought we were getting fouled. But that was OK.”

And then she quickly added, “It was worth it.”"

Read more: http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2016/01/hatchell-erupts-in-unc-womens-basketball-loss-to-duke

Howee

PostPosted: 02/05/16 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Love her or not, the poor ol' gal has accomplished too much to go out on this (ever-increasing) wave of negativity. She needs an *intervention*. Shocked

PostPosted: 02/06/16 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sometimes, it's best just to step away ... it might be that time for Sylvia Hatchell.

PostPosted: 02/06/16 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Sometimes, it's best just to step away ... it might be that time for Sylvia Hatchell.

Its just my opinion but she seems too strong willed to just quit, they are going to have to fire her, unless she steps down for health reasons. But just losses and poor recruiting won't be enough to get her to resign in my mind.

The only benefit to keeping her is that each year that goes by is just one less year of NCAA sanctions that a new coach will have to inherit, which to me could make the job less appealing to good candidates if Hatchell retires before sanctions are given by the NCAA because you are looking at scholarship reductions, post season ban and so forth. Your best bet at getting a good candidate pool is for the sanctions to be gone or at been in place for a couple of years. A new coach might get 4-5 years to rebuild a program but if your 4-5 years are all under sanction, you have no chance in a tough league to build a winner.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: