RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2016-17 AAC - SEC Challenge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 12/15/16 6:35 pm    ::: 2016-17 AAC - SEC Challenge Reply Reply with quote

This was posted last season but I didn't see a thread posted for it for this season. Please delete this if the thread already exists. Here's the schedule and the results up till now:

Wed. Nov. 16 - Mississippi State vs Tulane - 66-49
Sat. Nov. 19 - Florida vs Temple - 83-76
Sun. Nov. 20 - Connecticut @ LSU - 76-53
Sun. Nov. 20 - Auburn @ East Carolina - 61-52
Fri. Nov. 25 - Arkansas vs Memphis - 91-61
Sat. Nov. 26 - South Florida vs Georgia - 81-65
Wed. Nov. 30 - Arkansas @ Tulsa - 57-50
Mon. Dec. 5 - SMU vs Texas A&M - 54-53
Mon. Dec 5 - Vanderbilt vs Tulane - 74-63
Sun. Dec 11 - LSU vs Tulane - 69-51
Thu. Dec 15 - Georgia @ Cincinnati - 51-48
Fri. Dec 16 - SMU @ Mississippi State
Wed. Dec. 28 - Vanderbilt @ Memphis
Mon. Feb. 13 - South Carolina @ Connecticut

Thus far this season the SEC leads 8-3, with three more contests left to play. The home team in this conference series is SEC 5-1, AAC 2-3.

Last season the SEC prevailed 7-6: should the ACC go 3-0 in the remaining 3 gms, at best it can be is 8-6 in the SEC's favor...

Smile

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 12/17/16 1:28 am    ::: Re: 2016-17 AAC - SEC Challenge Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
This was posted last season but I didn't see a thread posted for it for this season. Please delete this if the thread already exists. Here's the schedule and the results up till now:

Wed. Nov. 16 - Mississippi State vs Tulane - 66-49
Sat. Nov. 19 - Florida vs Temple - 83-76
Sun. Nov. 20 - Connecticut @ LSU - 76-53
Sun. Nov. 20 - Auburn @ East Carolina - 61-52
Fri. Nov. 25 - Arkansas vs Memphis - 91-61
Sat. Nov. 26 - South Florida vs Georgia - 81-65
Wed. Nov. 30 - Arkansas @ Tulsa - 57-50
Mon. Dec. 5 - SMU vs Texas A&M - 54-53
Mon. Dec 5 - Vanderbilt vs Tulane - 74-63
Sun. Dec 11 - LSU vs Tulane - 69-51
Thu. Dec 15 - Georgia @ Cincinnati - 51-48
Fri. Dec 16 - Mississippi State vs SMU - 91-42
Wed. Dec. 28 - Vanderbilt @ Memphis
Mon. Feb. 13 - South Carolina @ Connecticut

Thus far this season the SEC leads 8-3, with three more contests left to play. The home team in this conference series is SEC 5-1, AAC 2-3.

Last season the SEC prevailed 7-6: should the ACC go 3-0 in the remaining 3 gms, at best it can be is 8-6 in the SEC's favor...

Smile

Miss St. Beat SMU 91-42 to move the series to SEC 9 versus AAC 3......

ridor

PostPosted: 12/24/16 3:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is interesting to note that SEC is 8-7 against the ACC.

R-

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/26/16 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:

R-

Out of curiosity, does that surprise you?

I don't think the ACC is particularly strong top to bottom this year.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 12/26/16 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:

R-

I have them as 9-9 with the rubber match being ND@Tenn on Jan 16th. The star for the SEC has been LSU, which is 3-0 against the ACC. South Carolina is 2-1 while Georgia is 0-2. The stars for the ACC have been VTech (2-0), Louisville (2-1), and Georgia Tech (2-1).

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/26/16 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Basically all it says is that the bottom of the SEC is better than the bottom of the ACC. The top is another matter altogether...which is why these inter-league matchups don't really mean much, but I guess are somewhat entertaining for bragging rights. Confused

But this thread is supposedly about the AAC so not sure how we got sub distracted...

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 12/28/16 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sure that this thread is meant to be a response to one last year, when the AAC did better (6-7) against the SEC. The trouble with this topic is that it is like responding to a "man bites dog" thread with a "dog bites man" thread. With all the demeaning comments concerning the AAC posted on this board over the 3+years that it has existed I took an opportunity to present a stat that suggests that there isn't quite as wide a gap between the 2 conferences as some would like to think.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 12/29/16 12:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
I'm sure that this thread is meant to be a response to one last year, when the AAC did better (6-7) against the SEC. The trouble with this topic is that it is like responding to a "man bites dog" thread with a "dog bites man" thread. With all the demeaning comments concerning the AAC posted on this board over the 3+years that it has existed I took an opportunity to present a stat that suggests that there isn't quite as wide a gap between the 2 conferences as some would like to think.

I agree, but I think you got your analogies crossed. It was discussed on another message board by UConn fans that once you get beyond a cream of the crop - CT, perhaps USF for the AAC, and USC and UT for the SEC - that both conferences towards the bottom are quite similar in competitiveness.

This point was generated as a response to debates regarding UConn bloating their season's stats once they enter conference play, as well as UConn fans boasting constantly of UConn's superior OOC schedule strength, while at the same time deriding many SEC team's OOC schedule strength and then claiming that the SEC's conference strength did little to level the playing field out.

And then last season came, and surprisingly the AAC actually competed with the SEC in head-to-head matchups, sort of.

So inevitably the AAC-SEC Challenge thread of last season was started at the other site as well as here, as a means of display of the AAC's ascendance to Power Conference relevancy. But it wasn't representative of the dog biting the man. That happens every day at one place in the world or another. It's much rarer to capture the splendor of the man biting the dog in their natural habitat, but I do believe we managed to document the occurrence of such in no less than two women's collegiate sports message boards....

In the past 4 seasons:

2012-13: SEC - 6, AAC - 3
2013-14: SEC - 7, AAC - 1
2014-15: SEC - 6, AAC - 3
2015-16: SEC - 7, AAC - 6

And now with Vanderbilt's loss to Memphis, this season it's currently SEC 9, AAC 4, with one final game to be played. That's a total of 35-17 in favor of the SEC: a two-to-one total that seems to confirm that yes it is the humble Man that traverses this world with bloody ankles....

But the debate was about conferences from top to bottom: that once you got past the cream at the top, both are very competitive. But it has been the lone Champion of the AAC - Connecticut - that has been hoisting the league banner high: over those 52 contests, UConn is 6-0 against the SEC.

This means that once the Cream of the AAC is removed, the SEC's dominance is even more pronounced at 35-11 - a better than 3-to-1 ratio. And how many of those SEC wins are claimed by the SEC's Champions? Well, South Carolina is only 1-2 during that time, with it's lone win versus ECU just last season. Tennessee only has one lone contest versus an AAC opponent - a win against SMU. Mississippi State has now risen to elite-hood within the SEC, and it has played a ton of games against AAC foes: 7 all told. But MSU wasn't exactly a dominant program in the first 2-3 seasons, and it has wins over several of the better AAC teams like Tulane, and a win over a top-20 ranked USF last season or the one before. It also has a lot of other wins against the weaker AAC teams.

But if you take away UConn's 6 wins, and delete both USC's and UT's combined 2 wins, it's still 33-11 in favor of the SEC. With half of those AAC wins coming in just one single season.

Whatever last season can be called, it certainly cannot be called "The Year of the Dog".......

linkster

PostPosted: 12/29/16 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I took an opportunity to present a stat that suggests that there isn't quite as wide a gap between the 2 conferences as some would like to think.

Notice that I didn't suggest that a gulf didn't exist, just that it wasn't as wide.

And I noticed you gave the 2012/2013 season. The AAC was still called the Big East that year. And while going 6-3 certainly was evidence of the SEC's prowess, I would remind you that the AAC/Big East had 3 teams in the final four that year. Wink

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 12/29/16 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Quote:
I took an opportunity to present a stat that suggests that there isn't quite as wide a gap between the 2 conferences as some would like to think.

Notice that I didn't suggest that a gulf didn't exist, just that it wasn't as wide.

And I noticed you gave the 2012/2013 season. The AAC was still called the Big East that year. And while going 6-3 certainly was evidence of the SEC's prowess, I would remind you that the AAC/Big East had 3 teams in the final four that year. Wink

He may have just looked at the present day AAC teams and seeing how they did against the SEC, regardless of where they were in 2012-13.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: