RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2016 Coaching Movement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 05/12/16 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
LitePal wrote:
Neighbors fiancee works at Kentucky. Why not just wait for that opening. It shouldn't be that long of a wait.

Why not just stay coaching at the school that he's only been at for 3 years, and to which he's recruited young women who came there to play for him?

Because sometimes life is about more than just work.

I don't know the situation with him, but if one of the reasons he is exploring opportunities in those areas is to be closer to his family I think that is a very good reason.

I certainly hope, given the above, that-- when Mike Neighbors was recruiting young women to commit to the Husky program-- his pitch went: "I want you to come play for whatever coach follows me here at the University of Washington, 'cause I'mm'a be out of here first chance I get, so as to be closer to my family (and girlfriend). Life is about more than just work, you know."

I'm going to guess, however, that the above was not Mike Neighbors's recruiting pitch.

It's probably not what he led with in his UW job interview, either.

Phil

PostPosted: 05/12/16 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:

Let's remember that his UW job interview for HC was when he was already at UW - and it wasn't so much him asking for the job, but his players begging the school to keep him as HC.

LitePal

PostPosted: 05/12/16 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What did Nikki Caldwell say to her recruits?

When she got the UCLA job, she said she was looking for somewhere she could put roots down. I guess that place was Louisiana.

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/12/16 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
LitePal wrote:
Neighbors fiancee works at Kentucky. Why not just wait for that opening. It shouldn't be that long of a wait.

Why not just stay coaching at the school that he's only been at for 3 years, and to which he's recruited young women who came there to play for him?

Because sometimes life is about more than just work.

I don't know the situation with him, but if one of the reasons he is exploring opportunities in those areas is to be closer to his family I think that is a very good reason.

I certainly hope, given the above, that-- when Mike Neighbors was recruiting young women to commit to the Husky program-- his pitch went: "I want you to come play for whatever coach follows me here at the University of Washington, 'cause I'mm'a be out of here first chance I get, so as to be closer to my family (and girlfriend). Life is about more than just work, you know."

I'm going to guess, however, that the above was not Mike Neighbors's recruiting pitch.

And you are assuming this is the first opportunity to arise because...

There are many reasons now is the time, as i don't know the man personally so I can' speak for his specific reasons, but there could be valid reasons. A could of years ago (maybe last year) a coach decided to resign because he wanted to watch his son play his senior year of high school basketball because he missed watching him grow up because he was working in another state, and the coaches and players understood that and wished him well as he parted ways. Not every case is the same, but it could be possible it is a similar situation for him.

BTW, do you feel the same way, you always put your work before your family? Is this a universal opinion of yours, or just for coaches?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/12/16 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:

How many players on the roster were actually recruited by McGuff before he bolted?

I doubt McGuff led with that when he was negotiating the long term extension he signed three weeks before leaving for Columbus either.

You make it sound like this isn't an everyday occurrence. It's hardly something to get indignant about these days. And every one of these players knows it.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 05/12/16 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:

How many players on the roster were actually recruited by McGuff before he bolted?

I doubt McGuff led with that when he was negotiating the long term extension he signed three weeks before leaving for Columbus either.

You make it sound like this isn't an everyday occurrence. It's hardly something to get indignant about these days. And every one of these players knows it.

I don't think most coaches leave their teams after just 3 seasons. Coach Caldwell did it to UCLA, and that sucked. If Coach McGuff does it to UW, that'll suck too.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/12/16 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:

I don't think most coaches leave their teams after just 3 seasons. Coach Caldwell did it to UCLA, and that sucked. If Coach McGuff does it to UW, that'll suck too.

Huh? McGuff was Neighbors's predecessor at Washington and left for Ohio State after only two years, leaving his assistant Neighbors behind. McGuff recruited Plum and others. I don't understand your post.

Neighbors also had two heart attacks before age 40. I suspect quality of life issues mean more to him than most people.

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 05/12/16 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Montana State hires Julian Assibey as AC (Colorado AC last year)

http://www.msubobcats.com/news/2016/5/12/assibey-named-womens-basketball-assistant-coach.aspx

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 05/12/16 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:

Huh? McGuff was Neighbors's predecessor at Washington and left for Ohio State after only two years, leaving his assistant Neighbors behind. McGuff recruited Plum and others. I don't understand your post.

Mistyped. Meant Neighbors. My bad.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 05/12/16 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:

A regular and reliable poster on the "Dawgman" Forum Board(UW Forum) posted this yesterday about Neighbors and Vandy

I just heard from someone who absolutely knows this situation from the inside and he tells me that this is a "bad rumor" and is not the least bit true. Knowing his credentials, I'm satisfied and relieved.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 05/13/16 7:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:

A regular and reliable poster on the "Dawgman" Forum Board(UW Forum) posted this yesterday about Neighbors and Vandy

I just heard from someone who absolutely knows this situation from the inside and he tells me that this is a "bad rumor" and is not the least bit true. Knowing his credentials, I'm satisfied and relieved.

Hope that's the case. Would be thrilled to see Neighbors stay in Seattle for at least a while longer. Good for the Pac, good for the Huskies, good for the kids he's recruited to that school.

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 05/13/16 8:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Release on Lynn Plett taking over at UC-Colorado Springs, where I updated recently

http://www.kktv.com/content/sports/Lynn-Plett-Named-Head-Womens-Basketball-Coach-379278961.html

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/13/16 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And in "evidently NOT moving" news, C Vivian and the Rutgers AD are working out a new four year deal.

Color me surprised. What exactly has she done anytime recently to warrant an extension?

https://www.nj.com/rutgerswomen/index.ssf/2016/05/rutgers_working_on_4-year_contract_extension_with.html

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 05/13/16 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Contract Extension at Washington for Neighbors

http://www.gohuskies.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30200&ATCLID=210951302

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/13/16 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thefutureisbright wrote:

Guess he's as good as gone.

It took his mentor McGuff three weeks after he signed his UW extension before he found a new job.

Sometimes the answer is that a coach used rumors to leverage a raise and extension.

Other times the raise and extension are leverage for a better contract at a new school.

KatValeska

PostPosted: 05/13/16 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
KatValeska wrote:
Very disappointed to learn of Linda Lappe's departure from Colorado. That CU ate the last three years of her contract makes the move even more difficult to fathom. Tough go last season but it was a pleasure to watch three promising freshmen, Makenzie Ellis, Kennedy Leonard and Alexis Robinson develop their talents.

That off my chest, good luck to JR Payne and the new assistants. It's my understanding assistant Jamie Carey is being retained.

Senior forward Haley Smith should help provide on-court leadership and hope the new staff makes the most of her skills. But I do think this team is a solid post away from any dramatic improvement next season. Here's hoping I'm wrong.

Jamie Carey was named an Assistant Coach at Texas on April 28.

http://texassports.com/news/2016/4/28/jamie-carey-named-womens-basketball-assistant-coach.aspx

Thanks for the correction. I had been playing catch up on CU's website and the initial piece of Linda Lappe's departure had mentioned that she was being retained. I should have fact checked it first. Thanks again.

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 05/13/16 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
thefutureisbright wrote:

It took his mentor McGuff three weeks after he signed his UW extension before he found a new job.

Sometimes the answer is that a coach used rumors to leverage a raise and extension.

Other times the raise and extension are leverage for a better contract at a new school.

I won't rest easy for the next 3 weeks then!

No, wait...McGuff reportedly did not pursue the Ohio St job before signing an extension with UW even though that position was already open. So the takeaway there is that I shouldn't be worried about losing Neighbors to Vandy.

I should be losing sleep over the instability at Kentucky because that is his most likely next destination, probably sooner than later, right? Laughing

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/13/16 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
thefutureisbright wrote:

I won't rest easy for the next 3 weeks then!

No, wait...McGuff reportedly did not pursue the Ohio St job before signing an extension with UW even though that position was already open. So the takeaway there is that I shouldn't be worried about losing Neighbors to Vandy.

I should be losing sleep over the instability at Kentucky because that is his most likely next destination, probably sooner than later, right? Laughing

I think the lesson is that you just never know, but that neither denials nor even contract extensions mean much of anything. I expect he'll stay put but I won't be shocked if he moves.

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 05/14/16 7:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee Tech officially announces coaching staff

http://ttusports.com/sports/wbkb/2015-16/releases/20160513nw380j

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 05/14/16 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rutgers job open ... not sure who left

http://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobs/8155453/assistant-coach-women-s-basketball

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/14/16 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thefutureisbright wrote:

Don't know any of them, but good job, they're all female!

PostPosted: 05/14/16 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
thefutureisbright wrote:

Discrimination against males? Razz
summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/14/16 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
thefutureisbright wrote:

Discrimination against males? Razz

Nah, just reacting to all the comments about how/why there are fewer and fewer females coaching WBB. Razz back atcha!

PostPosted: 05/16/16 7:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whoopdirt reporting that Adam Tandez will be hired at Northern Illinois ... replacing Stephanie Smith ... They also had an opening at DOBO

StevenHW

PostPosted: 05/16/16 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
thefutureisbright wrote:

One of the new assistants, Crystal Kelly, is a former WNBA player (Sacramento Monarchs, Detroit Shock & San Antonio Silver Stars) and was an assistant for four years at Bellarmine University (in Louisville KY), before coming to TTU.

Press release of her leaving Bellarmine:
http://athletics.bellarmine.edu/news/2016/5/9/womens-basketball-kelly-accepts-position-at-division-i-tennessee-tech.aspx

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 23 of 41

Jump to: