RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2016 Coaching Movement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/27/16 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Glorified video position ... Essentially another name ... Still not allowed on court ... Could be considered assistant in terms of compliance until another AC is hired ... Would have to had passed NCAA rules test which Earl did obv at Santa Clara

tfan

PostPosted: 04/28/16 1:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Vanderbilt has high academic admission standards for all students, including their athletes, they are probably at a recruiting disadvantage in a conference of massive southern state schools. Have they ever been good in any of the major sports on the men's or women's side?

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/28/16 2:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
If Vanderbilt has high academic admission standards for all students, including their athletes, they are probably at a recruiting disadvantage in a conference of massive southern state schools. Have they ever been good in any of the major sports on the men's or women's side?

Depends on what your definition of "good" is and what you consider "major sports". The Women's Basketball team has 6 SEC Tournament Championships and 27 NCAA Tournament appearances. The Men's Basketball team has 3 SEC Championships, 2 SEC Tournament Championships and 12 NCAA Tournament appearances. So both programs have been atop the SEC a few times each. Football has no SEC Championships, but they do have 7 Bowl appearances (I don't follow football, so I don't know the significance of this, nor the significance of the individual bowls).

Recently the baseball team (2014) and the women's tennis team (2015) won NCAA National Championships, but not sure of your thoughts on either sport and how much that fits into the answer of your question.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/28/16 7:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
tfan wrote:

Depends on what your definition of "good" is and what you consider "major sports". The Women's Basketball team has 6 SEC Tournament Championships and 27 NCAA Tournament appearances. The Men's Basketball team has 3 SEC Championships, 2 SEC Tournament Championships and 12 NCAA Tournament appearances. So both programs have been atop the SEC a few times each. Football has no SEC Championships, but they do have 7 Bowl appearances (I don't follow football, so I don't know the significance of this, nor the significance of the individual bowls).

Thanks for the info.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 04/28/16 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
PRballer wrote:
Howee wrote:
Dang. Balcomb had a looong run there. I've never heard "bad" things about her as a coach, and she certainly had her Bright Spots. But. A school like Vandy in a conference like the SEC isn't gonna tolerate mediocrity.

In her Dishin' n' Swishin' podcast, she came off as burnt out and bitter to me. Maybe a change is what she needs - sometimes that goes both ways.

She's always reminded me of Rosie O'Donnell on a bad day. And that's saying a lot.

That is pretty funny. I will say this though, she made the program better, especially until the last year or two. They went to the tournament 12 of the 14 years she was there.

colt13

PostPosted: 04/28/16 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
tfan wrote:

Recently the baseball team (2014) and the women's tennis team (2015) won NCAA National Championships, but not sure of your thoughts on either sport and how much that fits into the answer of your question.

They have been pretty sad in football, but bringing up baseball does give hope. Within the last 10 years, both David Price and Dansby Swanson have been #1 overall picks in the MLB Draft. Seems they are able to consistently get talent.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 04/28/16 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jamie Carey named Women's Basketball assistant coach
Former Texas letterwinner (2002-05) returns to the Forty Acres.

AUSTIN, Texas – Jamie Carey, a standout basketball player for the University of Texas from 2002-05, has been named an assistant coach with the Longhorns women's basketball program, head coach Karen Aston announced on Thursday.

Carey was a member of UT's 2003 NCAA Final Four team and also played four years in the WNBA. She has top-caliber experience at every level, including four years at USA Basketball as the assistant women's national team director. She returns to her alma mater after spending the past two seasons as an assistant coach at the University of Colorado....

"I am so thrilled to welcome Jamie Carey back to the Forty Acres and to Texas Basketball," Aston said. "This was a national search process to find the right fit for our program and, in particular, our student-athletes. As we combed the country, Jamie kept coming to mind. She brings a wealth of knowledge regarding guard play and offensive schemes that is exciting.

"Jamie, due to her experiences with USA Basketball understands the highest level of play, which will transfer over to recruiting the types of players we are identifying here at Texas," Aston continued. "How can anyone not appreciate the passion with which she played the game during her time at Texas? She put her stamp on this program as a player and I expect her to do the same as a coach."

Carey's responsibilities at Texas will include instructing players at the guard position, coordinating the team's offensive schemes and recruiting, which are similar to the responsibilities she had during her two seasons in Boulder.

http://texassports.com/news/2016/4/28/jamie-carey-named-womens-basketball-assistant-coach.aspx

pilight

PostPosted: 04/28/16 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brooks announces staff additions at Va Tech

http://www.hokiesports.com/wbasketball/recaps/20160428aaa.html

Quote:
Virginia Tech women’s basketball head coach Kenny Brooks announces additions to his staff, as Jennifer Brown, Tim Clark and Samantha Mitchell join Brooks in Blacksburg. In addition, Britney Anderson will stay on in her role as an assistant coach.

PostPosted: 04/28/16 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NC A&T hands out promotions to two assistants and then promotes DOBO, Jaleesa Sams, to AC

http://www.ncataggies.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=24500&ATCLID=210916437

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/28/16 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bridgette Mitchell is a new addition to Sean O'Regan's staff at JMU. Mitchell comes to JMU from Siena where she was recruiting coordinator, coached the post players, and acted as staff liaison to academic advising and team performance. She played her collegiate ball at Duke and was named to the ACC Honor Roll 3 times.

PostPosted: 04/28/16 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
PRballer wrote:
Howee wrote:
Dang. Balcomb had a looong run there. I've never heard "bad" things about her as a coach, and she certainly had her Bright Spots. But. A school like Vandy in a conference like the SEC isn't gonna tolerate mediocrity.

In her Dishin' n' Swishin' podcast, she came off as burnt out and bitter to me. Maybe a change is what she needs - sometimes that goes both ways.

That is pretty funny. I will say this though, she made the program better, especially until the last year or two. They went to the tournament 12 of the 14 years she was there.

Balcomb has consistently done more with less than anyone I know of during her tenure at Vandy. Up until last year, she always had winning records in the SEC and NCAAT invites. She's a very good X's and O's coach and has seemed to be well-liked by her players. That all changed last year when Vandy's season went to ****. CMB said she had never had such a difficult time coaching a group of players before. Reading between the lines, there were attitude and entitlement issues. Injuries contributed, and transfers followed. There was more of the same this year.

I think she got very burned out the last 2 years, and I'm not surprised she's stepping down. The new HC will get the benefit of a very good recruiting class, assuming they all don't back out and some of their tweets are using words like "stunned." Likewise, whoever gets the benefit of CMB should be very happy too.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/28/16 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
PRballer wrote:
Howee wrote:

Balcomb has consistently done more with less than anyone I know of during her tenure at Vandy. Up until last year, she always had winning records in the SEC and NCAAT invites. She's a very good X's and O's coach and has seemed to be well-liked by her players. That all changed last year when Vandy's season went to ****. CMB said she had never had such a difficult time coaching a group of players before. Reading between the lines, there were attitude and entitlement issues. Injuries contributed, and transfers followed. There was more of the same this year.

I think she got very burned out the last 2 years, and I'm not surprised she's stepping down. The new HC will get the benefit of a very good recruiting class, assuming they all don't back out and some of their tweets are using words like "stunned." Likewise, whoever gets the benefit of CMB should be very happy too.

If she had "less" whose fault is that? Oh yeah, part of her job is to recruit.

Seven straight years of double digit losses. 11 out of 14 years with 9 or more losses, only once with fewer than 8. Usualy not horrible, usually not very good either. Strikes me as the very definition of mediocrity.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/28/16 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I felt like she did more with less (at Xavier) and less with more (at Vandy). YMMV.

PostPosted: 04/29/16 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ok, so, what names can we be expected to get a look for Vandy?

I'd argue for Michelle Clark-Heard, but I don't know how likely she is to leave WKU.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/29/16 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How about Jeff Walz at Vandy? Maybe they give him a raise ...

PostPosted: 04/29/16 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I think Walz would bolt Louisville for a better job, but there aren't many better jobs, and Vandy certainly isn't one of them.

Right now he gets big crowds, has zero recruiting, academic, or transfer restrictions, an AD with a wide open checkbook, and a city that actually cares.

He'd have to be on drugs to accept the Vandy job.

Given the mess he has currently, Mitchell might be a better choice. Maybe he (and UK) needs a fresh start.

Vandy should have done this a month ago and then hired Tsipis before Wis grabbed him. He has a background at high academic schools at Duke and ND and would have been an ideal fit to try and build something there.

How about Teri Moren? Is Vandy a better job than IU?

StevenHW

PostPosted: 04/29/16 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thefutureisbright wrote:
Pepperdine AC hired at Concordia

http://www.cuieagles.com/news/2016/4/14/lacey-burns-introduced-as-next-womens-basketball-head-coach.aspx

So, was Concordia's previous head coach (Trisha Stafford-Odom) resigned or fired? I don't see any press article about Trisha leaving.

PostPosted: 04/29/16 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My first instinct on Vandy is "have they called Courtney Banghart?"

PostPosted: 04/29/16 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
thefutureisbright wrote:
Pepperdine AC hired at Concordia

http://www.cuieagles.com/news/2016/4/14/lacey-burns-introduced-as-next-womens-basketball-head-coach.aspx

So, was Concordia's previous head coach (Trisha Stafford-Odom) resigned or fired? I don't see any press article about Trisha leaving.

I seem to remember reading she resigned to explore other basketball opportunities, but I can't remember if it was some thing posted her or on twitter, or part of another article I read recently.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/29/16 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
My first instinct on Vandy is "have they called Courtney Banghart?"

I got a chance to talk to coach Banghart at the Final Four. She was really nice and friendly. She seemed surprised that someone knew who she was.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/29/16 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
Ok, so, what names can we be expected to get a look for Vandy?

I'd argue for Michelle Clark-Heard, but I don't know how likely she is to leave WKU.

Nikki McCray-Penson (SC AC) is being mentioned. This wouldn't be totally popular with Tennessee fans.

PostPosted: 04/30/16 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I think Walz would bolt Louisville for a better job, but there aren't many better jobs, and Vandy certainly isn't one of them.

Right now he gets big crowds, has zero recruiting, academic, or transfer restrictions, an AD with a wide open checkbook, and a city that actually cares.

Given the mess he has currently, Mitchell might be a better choice. Maybe he (and UK) needs a fresh start.

Vandy should have done this a month ago and then hired Tsipis before Wis grabbed him. He has a background at high academic schools at Duke and ND and would have been an ideal fit to try and build something there.

I wonder if Yori would. Did she need to get away from basketball or just Nebraska basketball? Probably needs to get her custody situation settled first.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/30/16 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I wonder if Yori would. Did she need to get away from basketball or just Nebraska basketball? Probably needs to get her custody situation settled first.

Assuming there isn't more to the issue at Nebraska, that would actually be a good hire for Vandy.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/30/16 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Assuming there isn't more to the issue at Nebraska, that would actually be a good hire for Vandy.

It undoubtedly would, but....seeing it's a coach I LIKE, and a program I .... well .... don't wanna follow (!), I should hope that doesn't happen.

PostPosted: 04/30/16 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yori would be a great hire for Vandy, if her STBX would cooperate.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 19 of 41

Jump to: