RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2016 Coaching Movement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colt13

PostPosted: 04/17/16 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Rizzotti thing is the reverse of what normally happens. A P5 coach has 3 losing seasons in a row and goes to a mid-major in lieu of getting canned. Jen went from back to back NCAA runs, to back to back WNIT runs, to 3 losing seasons and got a better job.

Laurie Kelly went backwards at Northern Arizona and left for Gustavus Adolphus because she wouldn't have lasted much longer. Rizzotti saw the writing on the wall.

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/17/16 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rizzotti has an interesting resume, usually the up and comers don't stay at a mid major like Hartford for 17 years but the odd thing is her success happened earlier in her tenure. Usually when schools hire some up and comer, they may have had some tournament success or some string of conference championships, yet Rizzotti hasn't won the American East since 2010 and hasn't made the tournament since 2011. This seems like it would have been a better hire 5 years ago but her lack of recent success is odd. Hiring a coach who just had a losing record in the American East this year catches me off guard for sure.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/17/16 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I can't think of another example of a coach on a downward trajectory at a regional conference with three straight losing seasons and 5th, 5th and 6th place finishes getting a big promotion to the two time defending champion of a near-major WBB conference.

And she has no ties, reputation, or recruiting connections in this region.

I would have much preferred taking a gamble on a Richardson or Duffy than take a proven mediocrity. But I think they could have gotten an up and coming winner looking for a bigger stage, or a star P5 assistant.

"Yeah but she starred for UConn 20 years ago" is the only evident reason for this hire.

Big disappointment to me.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/17/16 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Trina Patterson to UNC Greensboro

http://www.uncgspartans.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=32200&ATCLID=210895998

Quote:
Patterson brings 17-years of head coaching experience at the NCAA Division I level to the Spartans and joins UNCG after spending the last three years as the top assistant at Old Dominion.

PostPosted: 04/17/16 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Yeah, I can't think of another example of a coach on a downward trajectory at a regional conference with three straight losing seasons and 5th, 5th and 6th place finishes getting a big promotion to the two time defending champion of a near-major WBB conference.

And she has no ties, reputation, or recruiting connections in this region.

I would have much preferred taking a gamble on a Richardson or Duffy than take a proven mediocrity. But I think they could have gotten an up and coming winner looking for a bigger stage, or a star P5 assistant.

"Yeah but she starred for UConn 20 years ago" is the only evident reason for this hire.

Big disappointment to me.

And the America East coach who actually has been very successful the last several years got a worse job.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/18/16 8:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Patrick Nero, the current AD at GW, is the former AD at the University of Maine as well as former commissioner of the America East Conference. I know he had gotten to know her fairly well during those years so I'm sure he has a certain trust and confidence level with her. I'm sure he would also be familiar with any shortcomings or issues that may be happening at Hartford that could have impacted her and her program. I have no idea, but knowing Patrick, I'm sure he did his due diligence and has the utmost confidence in her.

And in regards to recruiting ties, she is very well respected among the high school and AAU ranks. In the past, she has recruited the very fertile Philadelphia region very well. It's' not like GW is very far from Philly.

Anyway, I completely agree that the timing is pretty bizarre, but it does make some sense for both parties. For GW, they get somebody that has obviously coached a winning program (take a look at how unbelievably god awful the Hartford program was before she took over) and still does have some name recognition thanks to the continued UConn dominance. For Jen, she gets a fresh start, new energy and the opportunity to add to her resume.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/18/16 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So basically you're saying she got the job based on having the right connections, knowing the right people, rather than on performance.

Well that certainly makes me feel a lot better. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

No, I don't think this "makes sense" at all from GW's standpoint. Your "name recognition" reason appears to be the only reason, and that's no reason at all. This isn't some bottom feeding rebuilding project. They could have done much better.

BTW, she'll probably do fine next year with Tsipis's team. Even with the loss of Jones there's a lot of returning, experienced talent. Even I could probably coach it to a top 3 A10 finish. So I expect to see a bunch of "see, she was a great choice" comments. Let's see where they are in three years.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/18/16 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The name recognition option sure worked out for LaTech ...

PostPosted: 04/18/16 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Twice ...

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/18/16 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
BTW, she'll probably do fine next year with Tsipis's team. Even with the loss of Jones there's a lot of returning, experienced talent. Even I could probably coach it to a top 3 A10 finish.

So if you could do it, why the angst.

They could have done much worse. She knows her stuff.

Seriously, you're already bitching about this hire when the reality is you have no idea how this will work out.

And Clay...comparing Jen to Tyler Summitt? Really? They probably couldn't be more opposite in almost every single way.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/18/16 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
BTW, she'll probably do fine next year with Tsipis's team. Even with the loss of Jones there's a lot of returning, experienced talent. Even I could probably coach it to a top 3 A10 finish.

So if you could do it, why the angst.

They could have done much worse. She knows her stuff.

Seriously, you're already bitching about this hire when the reality is you have no idea how this will work out.

And Clay...comparing Jen to Tyler Summitt? Really? They probably couldn't be more opposite in almost every single way.

Really, indeed. I think it's time to stop that slanging match. It's over and done. And how about giving Jen a chance to see what she can do with a good team, in a good place? Geez. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 04/18/16 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:

So I guess you're of the view that no one can ever comment on or criticize anyone hired by any school because no matter how bad the choice appears at the time, after all "the reality is you have no idea how this will work out."

Well that will certainly cut down on board traffic.

Yep, even blind squirrels occasionally find a nut, and if you ever get put in charge of hiring someone for your work, you might as well just grab the first person that walks by on the street, after all, you have no idea how it will work out. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Or you could do like most people and improve your odds by hiring the person with the best record of success. On that basis, this is a bad choice of a losing coach. There is no evident justification for the hire other than connections and name recognition. On the basis of the record and all objective evidence, this was an extremely disappointing choice from the viewpoint of this GW fan. They could have done much better.

Like Tyler and his mother, Rizotti basks in the glow of Geno's success. In each case their own performance didn't merit the promotion. Clay's comment is actually right on target.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/18/16 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

So I guess you're of the view that no one can ever comment on or criticize anyone hired by any school because no matter how bad the choice appears at the time, after all "the reality is you have no idea how this will work out."

Well that will certainly cut down on board traffic.

Yep, even blind squirrels occasionally find a nut, and if you ever get put in charge of hiring someone for your work, you might as well just grab the first person that walks by on the street, after all, you have no idea how it will work out. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Or you could do like most people and improve your odds by hiring the person with the best record of success. On that basis, this is a bad choice of a losing coach. There is no evident justification for the hire other than connections and name recognition. On the basis of the record and all objective evidence, this was an extremely disappointing choice from the viewpoint of this GW fan. They could have done much better.

Like Tyler and his mother, Rizotti basks in the glow of Geno's success. In each case their own performance didn't merit the promotion. Clay's comment is actually right on target.

So the only part of her resume that means anything is just the last couple of years?

Have you ever been to the University of Hartford? Hartford in general? Know anything about the history of that program? I have been there many times and know the history. It is still amazing to me that she was able to build a winner in the first place. There really isn't much of anything that is appealing about the city or the school.

Maybe you should send a letter or email to Patrick Nero. I'm sure he will take whatever you have to say under advisement.

I was very against Tyler Summitt for many reasons, one of the biggest being his complete lack of experience. Rizzotti has plenty of experience, built a very good program at Hartford that has been down recently, but also has repoire with colleagues and high school/AAU coaches.

So, who would you rather GW have hired?

Please tell me how Jen Rizzotti basks in the glow of Geno's success... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/18/16 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Please give me one example of a coach on a downward trajectory at a regional conference with three straight losing seasons and 5th, 5th and 6th place finishes getting a big promotion to the two time defending champion of a near-major WBB conference. Come on. One. I'm waiting.

Six straight years of mediocrity at a bush league program is not a resume for promotion to head coach of the A10 champion. I am amazed you are actually straining to defend the indefensible.

As for how she basks in Geno's halo? If she had played at Purdue instead of at UConn, no one would have given her the time of day for this or any other promotion given her performance. Maybe six years ago, but not today. She has a unearned name recognition and huge cheering section made up of the UConn fandom that has nothing to do with anything she has actually accomplished on her own as a coach. You would think after LaTech, people would be more reticent about making hires just for the sake of name.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/18/16 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Twice ...

In a row. . . .

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/18/16 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:

If they were looking at the AEast, perhaps the coach who has eaten Rizotti's lunch (is that a phrase?) the last several years?

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/18/16 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
As for how she basks in Geno's halo? If she had played at Purdue instead of at UConn, no one would have given her the time of day for this or any other promotion given her performance. Maybe six years ago, but not today. She has a unearned name recognition and huge cheering section made up of the UConn fandom that has nothing to do with anything she has actually accomplished on her own as a coach. You would think after LaTech, people would be more reticent about making hires just for the sake of name.

Seriously? She has a long standing relationship with the AD. Sure, it's nice that she has name recognition but this hire has a LOT more to do with her and Patrick knowing each other for years. People that aren't in the know want to say it's all about her name and where she played. This is about him hiring someone he has known for years, watched turn a very crappy program around into one that actually won in the NCAA Tournament and someone he trusts.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/18/16 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

If they were looking at the AEast, perhaps the coach who has eaten Rizotti's lunch (is that a phrase?) the last several years?

You mean the one that wanted to live in Florida, which she achieved? Katie, along with her husband, have both wanted to live there for a long time. The timing worked out perfect.

There are a lot more to these job shifts than just what meets the eye to people on the outside.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/18/16 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brooke Stoehr to Louisiana Tech

http://www.hoopfeed.com/content/2016/04/18/louisiana-tech-hires-brooke-stoehr-to-be-new-head-coach/

Quote:
Stoehr takes over the reins of the program following three years as the head coach at Northwestern State.

PostPosted: 04/18/16 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Princeton hires Carrie Moore as AC

http://www.goprincetontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10600&ATCLID=210897091

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/18/16 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Seriously? She has a long standing relationship with the AD. Sure, it's nice that she has name recognition but this hire has a LOT more to do with her and Patrick knowing each other for years. People that aren't in the know want to say it's all about her name and where she played. This is about him hiring someone he has known for years, watched turn a very crappy program around into one that actually won in the NCAA Tournament and someone he trusts.

So, as I said, it's based on connections and name. Two bad reasons don't make it any better than one.

She improved a crappy program for a while and then made it a crappy program again. Maybe he could have justified hiring her eight years ago when she "actually won in the NCAA Tournament", but not even close today. He aimed WAAAAAY too low. It's a bad hire. It disrespects where the GW program is today. All your "he hired his friend" excuses make the situation worse, not better.

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/18/16 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IPFW hires Niecee Nelson (San Diego AC)

http://www.gomastodons.com/news/2016/4/18/ipfw-names-niecee-nelson-womens-basketball-head-coach.aspx

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 04/18/16 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wbbFlashes ‏@wbbFlashes 40m40 minutes ago

Todd Starkey, an assistant at Indiana, will be the new @KentStWbb coach, the Record-Courier just reported. Story at http://wbbflashes.com .

PostPosted: 04/18/16 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Brooke Stoehr to Louisiana Tech

http://www.hoopfeed.com/content/2016/04/18/louisiana-tech-hires-brooke-stoehr-to-be-new-head-coach/

Quote:
Stoehr takes over the reins of the program following three years as the head coach at Northwestern State.

So what's the status of Scott Stoehr (currently co-head coach at NWState)

I presume Mickie will return to her assistant position? (Not 100% obvious)

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/18/16 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

So, as I said, it's based on connections and name. Two bad reasons don't make it any better than one.

She improved a crappy program for a while and then made it a crappy program again. Maybe he could have justified hiring her eight years ago when she "actually won in the NCAA Tournament", but not even close today. He aimed WAAAAAY too low. It's a bad hire. It disrespects where the GW program is today. All your "he hired his friend" excuses make the situation worse, not better.

That isn't an excuse, it's a reason. And honestly, an AD needs to have faith & trust in a coach he hires. He has both in her. He actually witnessed her success so it goes way beyond hiring a buddy. He has lots of friends.

NM...I'll just leave it at that.

GW is in good & capable hands.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 15 of 41

Jump to: