RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2016 Coaching Movement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 39, 40, 41  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/04/16 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Meh, who knows? Maybe he got tired of the nattering. He's strictly a football guy, though. I wonder if he'll make the same stupid mistake Richter did.

PostPosted: 03/05/16 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or, having slept on it overnight, probably a well-heeled booster or two had even more to do with it. I stand by my assertion that Alvarez himself doesn't give a flying Wallenda. He's just trying to deflect the arrows.

But I wonder what's going to happen with that nice recruiting class she had coming in? If they defect, Wisconsin could be in just as bad shape as they were.

PostPosted: 03/05/16 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You know, it's easy to criticize a football guy -- especially one who looks like Alvarez and coaches like he did -- but do we really know whether he has complete disdain for women's basketball?

Sure, a lot of ADs don't care, and Alvarez may be one of them, but competitive people (and I think it's fair to say Alvarez is competitive) like to do well in their jobs, and I'm sure some ADs, regardless of background, like to have as many winning teams as possible, as it reflects well on them.

In other words, for Alvarez (or whoever) to feel like he (or she) is doing a good job, having a lot of winning programs could define success. Of course, for some, success could be defined as strong football and men's basketball programs, but I don't think it's fair to automatically assume that every AD with a football background could care less about women's sports. Sure, some won't, but I also think some will.

Now, if there's evidence that Alvarez has no interest in women's sports, different story, but to just believe it because he liked to run the ball a lot doesn't necessarily mean it's true.

PostPosted: 03/05/16 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With all due respect, Clay, you're sitting in California with no UW ties. I'm a UW alum and at least try to keep up with what's going on there, even though I was in Tennessee for 35 years and now am in Virginia. I think I see things a little more closely than you do, and it seems that Alvarez cares about WBB only as it reflects on *him*, not in any capacity otherwise. Otherwise he couldn't give less of a flying ANYTHING about it.

And I reiterate my other question. What does this do to the pretty darn classy bunch of recruits Kelsey had coming in?

PostPosted: 03/05/16 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Wisconsin's AD comments on the coaching search: http://www.uwbadgers.com/news/2016/3/4/alvarez-decision-on-womens-basketball-was-necessary.aspx?path=wbball

"I'd like to have somebody that has a background of success," Alvarez said. "Someone that has been mentored by a long-term successful coach.

"Ideally I'd like to find a head coach who has done it who has a plan on how they recruit and how they coach and the system they run. I want someone to really excite the women's basketball community in Wisconsin.

"I want someone I feel confident will build a relationship with the high school coaches in this state and make that a top priority in recruiting."

Alvarez sees the women's basketball program in the same light as he once viewed UW football.

"A sleeping giant," he said.
-------------------

Some possibilities: South Dakota HC or South Dakota State HC? Both have had good seasons. UWGB coach seems like the obvious candidate but he left Michigan on his own so the high major ranks must not suit him well with the recruiting and all.

Johnston at South Dakota State and Borseth at UWGB have both looked to be going to other schools only to change their minds. Borseth changed his mind about taking the Colorado job 2 hours before they were going to announce his hiring in 2005 and Johnston had accepted the UWGB job when Borseth went to Michigan in 2007 before changing his mind and going back to South Dakota State. While Borseth did leave UWGB at one point, he obviously went back - not sure if he'd want to move on or not.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/05/16 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Or, having slept on it overnight, probably a well-heeled booster or two had even more to do with it. I stand by my assertion that Alvarez himself doesn't give a flying Wallenda. He's just trying to deflect the arrows.

But I wonder what's going to happen with that nice recruiting class she had coming in? If they defect, Wisconsin could be in just as bad shape as they were.

You'll probably have to see what happens once they hire a new coach. But even if they stay, there still may be defections down the road. Marquette had 4 pretty good recruits set to come in when Terri Mitchell was fired. I thought it was good as all 4 stayed. But then 3 of the 4 transferred after their freshman season and Marquette ended up with only two returning players this season - one sophomore and one junior who had barely played before.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/05/16 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Durantula wrote:
Wisconsin's AD comments on the coaching search: http://www.uwbadgers.com/news/2016/3/4/alvarez-decision-on-womens-basketball-was-necessary.aspx?path=wbball

"I'd like to have somebody that has a background of success," Alvarez said. "Someone that has been mentored by a long-term successful coach.

"Ideally I'd like to find a head coach who has done it who has a plan on how they recruit and how they coach and the system they run. I want someone to really excite the women's basketball community in Wisconsin.

"I want someone I feel confident will build a relationship with the high school coaches in this state and make that a top priority in recruiting."

Alvarez sees the women's basketball program in the same light as he once viewed UW football.

"A sleeping giant," he said.
-------------------

Some possibilities: South Dakota HC or South Dakota State HC? Both have had good seasons. UWGB coach seems like the obvious candidate but he left Michigan on his own so the high major ranks must not suit him well with the recruiting and all.

Johnston at South Dakota State and Borseth at UWGB have both looked to be going to other schools only to change their minds. Borseth changed his mind about taking the Colorado job 2 hours before they were going to announce his hiring in 2005 and Johnston had accepted the UWGB job when Borseth went to Michigan in 2007 before changing his mind and going back to South Dakota State. While Borseth did leave UWGB at one point, he obviously went back - not sure if he'd want to move on or not.

Sounds like both of them are pretty happy where they are. And really, why wouldn't they be? Not everyone wants the pressure or the hassle of being constantly under the microscope at a P5 program that's been sputtering for years. Many are happy to remain at a mid-major that's doing really well, and the NCAA doesn't mean all that much to them.

Speaking of which, I didn't realize until today that former UW coach Lisa Stone is at St. Louis (or as it seems to prefer to be known, "Saint Louis"). They are playing Duquesne for the right to face George Washington in the A-10 championship.

PostPosted: 03/05/16 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, the new AD at Illinois, on his very first day at work, fired the football coach, who had a 5-7 record. Wonder what, if anything, that means for Matt Bollant, whose conference record was 2-12 and overall was 9-21? Not to mention all the other troubles that have plagued the program....the firing of the assistant, the lawsuit, the allegations, the transfers, etc.

PostPosted: 03/06/16 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UMass open ...

http://www.umassathletics.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/030616aaa.html

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 03/06/16 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thefutureisbright wrote:
UMass open ...

http://www.umassathletics.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/030616aaa.html

I love how they say they'll conduct a national search. For what? A masochist?

I can't remember UMass having a good women's team ever.
thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 03/06/16 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Manhattan Open ...

http://www.gojaspers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=52466&SPID=5440&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210777188&DB_OEM_ID=12500

bucks4now

PostPosted: 03/06/16 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Badgers open

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14904309/wisconsin-badgers-fire-coach-bobbie-kelsey-five-seasons

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/06/16 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
Badgers open

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14904309/wisconsin-badgers-fire-coach-bobbie-kelsey-five-seasons

Out of curiosity, do you not bother to read what is already posted in a thread before you post?

bucks4now

PostPosted: 03/07/16 5:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Over the weekend when I as at the tourney, I was having trouble viewing this thread. I get notices that something is added, so I missed it. Sorry if reading 2 extra words bother you.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/07/16 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
Over the weekend when I as at the tourney, I was having trouble viewing this thread. I get notices that something is added, so I missed it. Sorry if reading 2 extra words bother you.

I was just wondering seeing as there are several posts about Alvarez being a football guy, contemplating whether the recruits were going to stay as it appears to be a good class and then some speculation as to whether Borseth or Johnston would have any interest in the position or even look to move from their current jobs.

No problem.

bucks4now

PostPosted: 03/07/16 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The first one I could see was UMASS. Once I posted the Badger one, scrolled up and saw it. My phone doesn't work very well for emails and I didn't see it until I was on my laptop.

Matt5762

PostPosted: 03/07/16 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Now, if there's evidence that Alvarez has no interest in women's sports, different story, but to just believe it because he liked to run the ball a lot doesn't necessarily mean it's true.

Several years ago he hired a women's tennis coach from West Virginia who was 16-47 in 3 seasons there (getting worse each year) and coming off a winless season in the Big 12. Not surprisingly, she hasn't recorded a winning season since arriving at Wisconsin either...

Wisconsin fans pretty much just need to hope there is a good coach out there who really wants to pursue this job. It is a program with potential to be a regular in the top half of the B1G and the coach would presumably get plenty of time to right ship.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/07/16 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Matt5762 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Several years ago he hired a women's tennis coach from West Virginia who was 16-47 in 3 seasons there (getting worse each year) and coming off a winless season in the Big 12. Not surprisingly, she hasn't recorded a winning season since arriving at Wisconsin either...

Wisconsin fans pretty much just need to hope there is a good coach out there who really wants to pursue this job. It is a program with potential to be a regular in the top half of the B1G and the coach would presumably get plenty of time to right ship.

That right there ought to tell you SOMETHING! Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 03/07/16 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I admit that I have a habit of looking for the hot candidate, which is normally an assistant on a major, or a mid major HC. But with the success Rueck has had, i'm hoping more of the programs go for a D-2 or D-3 coach that has reached their Final Four, and has had 2 or 3 recent good years.

petrel

PostPosted: 03/07/16 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Linda Lappe steps down at Colorado:

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=3910&SPID=258&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=210779711

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/07/16 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Man, this seems like it's going to be a busier year than I was expecting.

petrel

PostPosted: 03/07/16 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joi Williams at Central Florida gets the hook:

http://www.ucfknights.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/030716aac.html

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/07/16 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Well, the new AD at Illinois, on his very first day at work, fired the football coach, who had a 5-7 record. Wonder what, if anything, that means for Matt Bollant, whose conference record was 2-12 and overall was 9-21? Not to mention all the other troubles that have plagued the program....the firing of the assistant, the lawsuit, the allegations, the transfers, etc.

Sorry for the brief tangent, but the new AD at Illinois fired the football coach on Saturday and today announced the hiring of Lovie Smith, a name that will surely garner the attention of high school players across the country. This is quite a significant hiring and splash for Illinois. Oh, the contract is a cool 6 year, $21 million.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14919209/illinois-fighting-illini-hire-lovie-smith-new-coach

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/07/16 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

petrel wrote:
Joi Williams at Central Florida gets the hook:

http://www.ucfknights.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/030716aac.html

I don't know anything about Williams or the circumstances of her hiring or firing, but I found this set of tweets from Mike Flynn and Lin Dunn to be strange:

‏@MikeFlynn826
@wparker @UCFKnights This firing makes me very angry because JW's a good person who wasn't prepared for this job. Sady, another lost #WoC

‏@Coach_Dunn
Great point, Mike! Quit hiring people who aren't prepared!

‏@Coach_Dunn
All time spent recruiting! Not learning the gm! Technical knowledge; bench coaching etc..not ready to be HC!

Evidently they don't think she was qualified in the first place, but blame the school?

So, isn't there a responsibility on an individual not to apply for, lobby for, and take a job for which you're not prepared or qualified? Don't you need to recognize your own limitations? If you bite off more than you can chew, whose fault is that when you choke on it?

I don't get the tone of "oh poor Joi. She wasn't prepared to take job but that mean nasty school hired her." It looks to me they gave her an opportunity that she shouldn't have been seeking and shouldn't have taken until she was ready. Now if you're a fan you can blame the school administrators for hiring an unqualified coach and thus losing, but I fail to see how the coach or her friends has standing to complain for being offered the job.

Edit - I just looked her up She was head coach at UCF for NINE YEARS and was head coach at Murray State for four years before that. If she wasn't "prepared" to be a head coach after thirteen years as a head coach, whose fault is that?

Durantula

PostPosted: 03/07/16 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kennesaw State is now open, HC Nitra Perry will not return. http://www.ksuowls.com/news/2016/3/7/general-wbb-perrys-contract-will-not-be-renewed.aspx

There aren't that many African American women in the HC ranks especially considering the percentage of players that are African American, but this offseason is making those ranks even smaller as Arizona, Wisconsin, Kennesaw State, and UCF are all open now. I think the WNBA might play a role, potential coaching candidates are now playing professionally for maybe longer than they normally would.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 2 of 41

Jump to: