RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tournaments Held Not In USA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ridor

PostPosted: 11/28/15 9:15 pm    ::: Tournaments Held Not In USA Reply Reply with quote

I am just curious. During the Thanksgiving & Holidays weekends, how many tournaments outside of continental United States that has no natural fan base?

Hawai'i:
Las Vegas:
South Padre Island:
Virgin Islands: Paradise Jam (Island & Reef divisions)
Mexico: Cancun Challenge
Puerto Rico: San Juan Shootout
Bahamas: Junkanoo Jam (Lucaya & Freeport divisions)

What else?

Cheers,

R-

Last edited by ridor on 11/29/15 6:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/28/15 9:33 pm    ::: Re: Tournaments Held Not In USA Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
I am just curious. During the Thanksgiving & Holidays weekends, how many tournaments do the non-USA hosted?

Virgin Islands: Paradise Jam (Island & Reef divisions)
Mexico: Cancun Challenge
Puerto Rico: San Juan Shootout
Bahamas: Junkanoo Jam (Lucaya & Freeport divisions)

What else?

Cheers,

R-

Sigh.

Puerto Rico is part of the USA.

It may be slightly less obvious, but the Paradise Jam is in the US Virgin Islands, so is also part of the US.

ridor

PostPosted: 11/29/15 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, that is not my point. Even if they are territories of US, their "country" way of life is not the same as our states. Get back on the subject. I'd like to know how many teams that played outside of the United States

calbearman76

PostPosted: 11/29/15 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Your point is reasonable. I would add Hawaii as well in terms of games played in resort locations where there is no natural fan base, but rather the games are held for tourism purposes. And even though it is in the continental US, I would add Las Vegas, particularly those tournaments held that do not include UNLV.

Whether it is a good thing or not can be debated. The teams get a bit of a vacation (albeit having to play a few games) and their fans get to travel to nicer locales than their standard road trips (albeit generally more expensive.) On the other hand the games are generally held in front of small crowds and the intensity level is often lower. Some of these games have a strong bearing on NCAA bids and seeding come the end of the season, but I believe there are more upsets in these settings than in regular venues.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/29/15 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's the Gulf Coast Showcase in Estero, FL, which is or was played over an ice rink. That's gotta affect some of the players. The Gophers didn't particularly play well there last year.
http://reviews.ticketmaster.com/7171/1918944/gulf-coast-showcase-college-basketball-tournament-reviews/reviews.htm?sort=rating&dir=asc

There's the South Point Shootout in Las Vegas. That's foreign enough for me. Smile

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Phil

PostPosted: 11/29/15 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

?? Some of those are not out the US. Why not correct the question, to "played outside the continental US, or played outside the 50 states, or outside the 48 states" in case you want to know about tournaments in Hawaii and Alaska as being in a special category?

ridor

PostPosted: 11/29/15 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder how do they organize the tournament? Do the schools contact the tournament hosts or was it vice versa? I'm intrigued on how the tournaments took place in resort locations. I did not think of Hawai'i - but yes, you're right. We used to have Great Alaska Shootout but not these days, right?

Lately, FGCU are hosting great tournaments. I remembered in 1980s-90s, there were three "prime" preseason tournaments. Burger King Miami tournament with 8 teams. Central Fidelity Bank Tournament (Richmond, VA) with 4 teams and Rutgers' tournament - I forgot the name of that tournament in 1980s-1990s. Hawaii's Rainbow Wahine Tournament was attractive back then.

ridor

PostPosted: 11/29/15 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil, fine with me. I'll correct.

dinkytown

PostPosted: 11/29/15 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
I wonder how do they organize the tournament? Do the schools contact the tournament hosts or was it vice versa? I'm intrigued on how the tournaments took place in resort locations. I did not think of Hawai'i - but yes, you're right. We used to have Great Alaska Shootout but not these days, right?

Lately, FGCU are hosting great tournaments. I remembered in 1980s-90s, there were three "prime" preseason tournaments. Burger King Miami tournament with 8 teams. Central Fidelity Bank Tournament (Richmond, VA) with 4 teams and Rutgers' tournament - I forgot the name of that tournament in 1980s-1990s. Hawaii's Rainbow Wahine Tournament was attractive back then.

The Great Alaska Shootout still exists. Western Kentucky won it on Wednesday. The men's Great Alaska Shootout is televised on CBS Sports Network but with all the ESPN created tournaments now in warmer locations they don't get the big name schools they used to.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/29/15 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dinkytown wrote:
ridor wrote:

The Great Alaska Shootout still exists. Western Kentucky won it on Wednesday. The men's Great Alaska Shootout is televised on CBS Sports Network but with all the ESPN created tournaments now in warmer locations they don't get the big name schools they used to.

The Great Alaska Shootout used to be such a good event. I was much more familiar with the men's side, as Purdue played multiple times. Driving and listening to Purdue beat second-ranked Duke in 2003 is one of my favorite basketball memories.

That was about the last year the men's tournament had high-level teams.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/29/15 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
dinkytown wrote:
ridor wrote:

The Great Alaska Shootout used to be such a good event. I was much more familiar with the men's side, as Purdue played multiple times. Driving and listening to Purdue beat second-ranked Duke in 2003 is one of my favorite basketball memories.

That's back when Alaska and Maui were basically the ONLY fall tournaments. Now there are about 20 of them.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/29/15 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
dinkytown wrote:
ridor wrote:

That's back when Alaska and Maui were basically the ONLY fall tournaments. Now there are about 20 of them.

I know, and I get it. I just miss the excitement of a small number of important tournaments.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 12/01/15 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The original reason for these tournaments was that they didn't count towards the total number of games you could play. The NCAA gradually did away with that, but the tourneys took hold. I believe most of them are done by hotels and/or tourism boards, either directly or indirectly.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/01/15 12:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
The original reason for these tournaments was that they didn't count towards the total number of games you could play. The NCAA gradually did away with that, but the tourneys took hold. I believe most of them are done by hotels and/or tourism boards, either directly or indirectly.

The real reason for that rule was to encourage teams to travel to play the Alaska and Hawaii teams, just as they don't count games at Hawaii against the 12 game limit in football. The NCAA only gave that advantage to those two tournaments and then they also imposed limits on how often individual schools could take advantage of the extra games.

Then, as so often happens these days, the NCAA got sued by promoters for other tournaments and even though the NCAA eventually won in the Court of Appeals (after first losing in the District Court) the unique nature of those tournaments was lost, as were the limits on schools' participation.

Maui still attracts a good field because it's a great place to take your team in November. Alaska doesn't attract the best any more. Who wants to go to Alaska in Winter when you can go to the Bahamas or Florida or Hawaii or the Virgin Islands?

ridor

PostPosted: 12/01/15 5:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest, I am one of these people who preferred Alaska over Hawai'i, Virgin Islands or Bahamas. I hate sandy beaches. Give me Denali anytime. Smile

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/01/15 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
ArtBest, I am one of these people who preferred Alaska over Hawai'i, Virgin Islands or Bahamas. I hate sandy beaches. Give me Denali anytime. Smile

Yeah, but give it to me during the long warm sunny days of July, rather than the short dark cold days of late November. Wink Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: