RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Under the radar players?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 11/28/15 10:33 am    ::: Under the radar players? Reply Reply with quote

Having had the opportunity twice to watch the South Dakota State University Jackrabbits I am very impressed with Macy Miller who to tell the truth never heard of before. Considering there is paucity of coverage out there for the women's game in any sport there must be others like Macy in WCB, has to be. Who are they?

Could you all tell us about those under the radar players we should appreciate as well.

Thank you.

PostPosted: 11/28/15 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been impressed with Kendall Noble from WKU so far.

PostPosted: 11/28/15 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Morgan Green-Michigan State...verballed to Northwestern originally, played her freshman year at Chabot college in Cali instead.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2015/10/28/michigan-state-spartans-womens-basketball/74777992/

Quote:
All you need to know about her is that on Tuesday she had closed reduction of a nasal fracture surgery on her nose and Wednesday afternoon Green was in the gym, shooting before the team's annual media day.

Powers & Jankoska will get all the "ink", but Green might become the best PG this program has ever had.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 11/28/15 12:32 pm    ::: Re: Under the radar players? Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
Having had the opportunity twice to watch the South Dakota State University Jackrabbits I am very impressed with Macy Miller who to tell the truth never heard of before. Considering there is paucity of coverage out there for the women's game in any sport there must be others like Macy in WCB, has to be. Who are they?

Could you all tell us about those under the radar players we should appreciate as well.

Thank you.

Miller is outstanding. Love to watch her play. Thought she was fouled on a drive to the basket in the last 15 seconds yesterday vs. Maryland which would have potentially made it a 1-point game with 10 or so seconds left.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 11/28/15 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

she gets a little more pub now but Tabitha Richardson Smith at seton hall....class score consider her a prospect who can also grab boards, a true 3 has done nothing but improve every game...small school but i say big prospect reminds me of Shameka Christon

PostPosted: 11/29/15 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know she plays for a high-profile program, but I for one have been really surprised by Madison Cable so far this season. She's always been good utility player, but she's proving to be capable of being a go-to scorer for Notre Dame. While her off-the-charts shooting numbers are likely unsustainable, she has been really impressive for a player that a lot of people did not even project as a starter. If she keeps playing like she is, I wouldn't be surprised to see her start to get talked about in WNBA-terms.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/29/15 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
I know she plays for a high-profile program, but I for one have been really surprised by Madison Cable so far this season. She's always been good utility player, but she's proving to be capable of being a go-to scorer for Notre Dame. While her off-the-charts shooting numbers are likely unsustainable, she has been really impressive for a player that a lot of people did not even project as a starter. If she keeps playing like she is, I wouldn't be surprised to see her start to get talked about in WNBA-terms.

I was going to post about Cable and then saw you already had. She was a scorer in HS, led her team to a combined record of 114-14 (.891) in her career, scoring 1,571 total points and led Mt. Lebanon to three consecutive Pennsylvania Class AAAA state championships. She was Parade All-American (2011), Gatorade Pennsylvania High School Player of the Year (2011), Associated Press Pennsylvania Class AAAA Player of the Year (2011), Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Player of the Year (2011), and two-time Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Player of the Year (2010, 2011), but she missed her freshman year at ND with a foot injury, and then played in the shadow of Diggins, McBride and Loyd mostly coming off the bench. She's getting her chance in this her 5th year and is stepping up, leading the team in minutes and scoring. She's averaging 15 ppg while shooting a remarkable 63% from the floor and 58% from behind the arc. She was named MVP of the Junkanoo Jam.

It's her turn to shine and she's really stepping up. And with Turner out at least for a while and Reimer limited, they really need her.

dtrain34

PostPosted: 11/29/15 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The three All-Conference first team players for 6-0 New Mexico State: Mid-Major All-America Brianna Freeman, 6-0 guard Sasha Weber (who coach Mark Trakh last night called with creative geography "one of the best players on the West Coast Very Happy ) and point guard Shanice Davis, whose presence has helped fuel the Aggies winning 28 of their last 31 games.

The WAC isn't awesome, but Freeman scored 15 and Weber 14 vs. Maryland in the NCAAs last March and Davis disrupted the Terp guards defensively.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/30/15 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Morgan Williams for Mississippi State. Named team captain by Schafer (he's never done that before). She's small but efficient. Was the back-up pg last season as a frosh but averaged 9 ppg and led team in assists. Has played sparingly given The cake schedule thus far but will play big role for MSU.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 11/30/15 1:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grant and Coleman both scored in double figures in there first game in a DePaul uniform. I think both are players under the radar and missing pieces on our team.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/30/15 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Savanna Felgemacher, freshman post player for JMU. Didn't expect this much out of a freshman this early. She was obviously well coached in high school and seems very coachable.

PostPosted: 11/30/15 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Purdue freshman center Nora Keisler had very good games against Louisville and Stanford and she seems to be establishing herself in the rotation. The stats aren't gaudy yet, but she looks like a player who people will be paying attention to as the season - and her career - goes on.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/30/15 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MTSU Soph Brea Edwards

- Amanda Gorman
CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 11/30/15 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cal frosh point guard Asha Thomas. Coming off ACL injury last year, adjusting really well thus far....shooting really well, especially from 3 point range: 13-28 .464 and is averaging 13 points per game (32 minutes per game).

She plays with a lot of smarts and poise for a freshman....

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/30/15 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Washington state frosh Borislava Hristova has already been named Pac-10 frosh of week honors as well as MVPof the Bank of Hawaii Rainbow Wahine Classis two weeks back. Was averaging 18+ a game and hit 22 tonight in The Cougs first loss of the season at Oklahoma State. One to keep up with. I believe she's Bulgarian.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 12/07/15 7:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nia Coffey from Norhtwestern. Have been following her since her arrival to the program. She is the driver for the undefeated (8-0) Wildcats.

PostPosted: 12/07/15 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
Nia Coffey from Norhtwestern. Have been following her since her arrival to the program. She is the driver for the undefeated (8-0) Wildcats.

Scratching my head over how a two-time All Big Ten first team player and USA Basketball U19 World Championships gold medalist qualifies as "under the radar."

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 12/07/15 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

Scratching my head over how a two-time All Big Ten first team player and USA Basketball U19 World Championships gold medalist qualifies as "under the radar."

I'm not oldfan, but I would guess because most fans know little about Northwestern. While Nia is accomplished, she toils in obscurity for people who don't watch the B1G network. The B1G looks very deep so far this year, but before Maryland's arrival, the conference was going through a lull.

Last edited by Fighting Artichoke on 12/07/15 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/07/15 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

I'm not oldfan, but I would guess because most fans no little about Northwestern. While Nia is accomplished, she toils in obscurity for people who don't watch the B1G network. The B1G looks very deep so far this year, but before Maryland's arrival, the conference was going through a lull.

Coming from a B1G background, I have to remind people too that for many, many years Northwestern was pretty much the doormat of the the conference. They were and still are the only private school in the bunch, and were one of three (the others being Wisconsin and Purdue) which were known to place a heavy emphasis on grades. They were and are an anomaly in that conference and I think were originally included on the basis of geography. They could be excused if they opted to change conferences or even divisions. (For anyone who doesn't know, the University of Chicago was an original member of the B1G but dropped out when the dropped football.)

PostPosted: 12/07/15 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Samantha DeFreese - 6' F, Northeastern University

She is averaging 18.3 PPG, 8.9 RPG and 1.3 BPG. She is shooting 60.7% from the floor and 83.9% from the foul line.

Her play is a huge reason why the Huskies are currently 5-2 and much improved from last years' 4 win season.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 12/07/15 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

I'm not oldfan, but I would guess because most fans no little about Northwestern. While Nia is accomplished, she toils in obscurity for people who don't watch the B1G network. The B1G looks very deep so far this year, but before Maryland's arrival, the conference was going through a lull.

Exactly right, Arti. She is not part of a high profile program as Northwestern received little if no recognition outside of the Big 10 as Sumertime also noted. Thanks to both Arti and Summertime.

PostPosted: 12/07/15 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you all my knowledgable friends as once again you do not disappoint. Keep em coming.

PostPosted: 12/07/15 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coffey was a top 25 out of HS, 1st team All Big 10 as a freshman, and to my way of think has never been "under the radar."

And that's fine, but by that standard it's hard to imagine any players who don't play for UConn who would not qualify as "under the radar."

I thought you had intended this for players toiling in obscurity rather than those who have already been the star of their major conference team for two years; I guess I was mistaken. I guess we can include Rachael Banham as under the radar too, since unlike Coffey, Banham has never even appeared in an NCAA tournament.

Will be a long thread, I guess, and there's nothing wrong with that except that it buries the recognition for those players who truly are performing under the radar.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 12/07/15 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Figured I would repost this...

purduefanatic wrote:
Samantha DeFreese - 6' F, Northeastern University

She is averaging 18.3 PPG, 8.9 RPG and 1.3 BPG. She is shooting 60.7% from the floor and 83.9% from the foul line.

Her play is a huge reason why the Huskies are currently 5-2 and much improved from last years' 4 win season.

mred

PostPosted: 12/07/15 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Under the radar" is hard to quantify, but I submit Seanna Johnson for Iowa State.

She was 13th in the league in scoring last year (11.7 ppg) and 1st in the league in rebounding (9.2 rpg despite standing 5'10") but was only honorable mention all-conference.

She received no love in the preseason poll, but so far this year she's bumped her numbers up to 17.4 ppg (3rd in the Big 12) and 11.3 rpg (1st in the Big 12). She's also 8th in the conference in assists (3.9 per game despite not playing PG), 2nd in FT% (86%, 37/43), and 9th in a/to (1.69). She's doing a bit of everything for an illness/injury-depleted Cyclones team.

Earlier this season, she became the fastest Cyclone to 600 career rebounds, achieving it in 69 games -- 6 games faster than Megan Taylor and Angie Welle. She's on pace to become the second player in the Big 12 under 6'0" to get 1000 career rebounds (KSU's Wecker was the first).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: