RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Under the radar players?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 12/07/15 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Coffey was a top 25 out of HS, 1st team All Big 10 as a freshman, and to my way of think has never been "under the radar."

And that's fine, but by that standard it's hard to imagine any players who don't play for UConn who would not qualify as "under the radar."

I thought you had intended this for players toiling in obscurity rather than those who have already been the star of their major conference team for two years; I guess I was mistaken. I guess we can include Rachael Banham as under the radar too, since unlike Coffey, Banham has never even appeared in an NCAA tournament.

Will be a long thread, I guess, and there's nothing wrong with that except that it buries the recognition for those players who truly are performing under the radar.

I think there are multiple viable definitions of "under the radar", depending on how refined your radar is.

If, for example, someone relies mostly on ESPN, then, in fact, anyone who doesn't play for UConn might be under it, with the possible exception of DeShields. (Given that during the UConn game, Dave O'Brien cited Jewell Loyd's absence as the reason for the Irish having scoring issues, not, say, Turner or Reimer or Patberg...)

If the radar is mostly attuned via Reb's, then Coffey would be a valid example, whereas Banham would not, because we have more Minnesota fans here than Northwestern fans. Notice that about half the people in this thread are touting their own team's players- a Purdue fan brings up a Purdue player, a Cal fan brings up a Cal player, a Seton Hall fan brings up a Seton Hall player, I'm tempted to bring up Danaejah Grant. You get sampling bias.

If, however, you're a knowledgeable fan who gets their data from all sorts of sources, who has access to and watches games outside their team/conference of interest, who follows the sport across the country closely, then it's damn hard for anyone to be under your radar.

That tangent having been tangented, I'll toss a name into the ring: the woman with more buckets than anyone in the country right now, senior Taylor Proctor of San Francisco.

PostPosted: 12/07/15 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Coffey was a top 25 out of HS, 1st team All Big 10 as a freshman, and to my way of think has never been "under the radar."

And that's fine, but by that standard it's hard to imagine any players who don't play for UConn who would not qualify as "under the radar."

I thought you had intended this for players toiling in obscurity rather than those who have already been the star of their major conference team for two years; I guess I was mistaken. I guess we can include Rachael Banham as under the radar too, since unlike Coffey, Banham has never even appeared in an NCAA tournament.

Will be a long thread, I guess, and there's nothing wrong with that except that it buries the recognition for those players who truly are performing under the radar.

Art, seriously what the hell is your problem, I started this thread just to get recognition for players who are seldom mentioned during the course of the season nationally and yes it may very well be a long thread but that is ok. If someone wants to mention Rachael Banham which no one has that is ok too as I am not going to quibble with people, just put it out there and as that is all I would like to see. It has been great so far and hope it continues.

I don't want people to feel they have to give an explantion. I trust them. Shame on me.
UConn, you know me better than that.

Thanks, Queenie.

PostPosted: 12/07/15 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coffey, from Hopkins, MN.... the one that got away from the Gophers. We coulda been a contender with her on the team.

I might be partial, but I'll be a little surprised if she's not a WNBA first rounder. Might have to play SF though.

Minnesota is looking to get it's first elite prospect (maybe ever?) in 2018.
Ever heard of Christianna Carr?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 12/07/15 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 12/07/15 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arrow

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
MNfan22

PostPosted: 12/08/15 12:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mred wrote:
"Under the radar" is hard to quantify, but I submit Seanna Johnson for Iowa State.

She was 13th in the league in scoring last year (11.7 ppg) and 1st in the league in rebounding (9.2 rpg despite standing 5'10") but was only honorable mention all-conference.

She received no love in the preseason poll, but so far this year she's bumped her numbers up to 17.4 ppg (3rd in the Big 12) and 11.3 rpg (1st in the Big 12). She's also 8th in the conference in assists (3.9 per game despite not playing PG), 2nd in FT% (86%, 37/43), and 9th in a/to (1.69). She's doing a bit of everything for an illness/injury-depleted Cyclones team.

Earlier this season, she became the fastest Cyclone to 600 career rebounds, achieving it in 69 games -- 6 games faster than Megan Taylor and Angie Welle. She's on pace to become the second player in the Big 12 under 6'0" to get 1000 career rebounds (KSU's Wecker was the first).

Thank you for bringing her up Very Happy Have enjoyed watching her play since high school. Was fun to watch back then when she'd kind of turn it on. She's stepped it up at next level. Crazy that Bill Fennelly has had her kind of playing some PF & defending posts players with her 5-10 guard frame when he's run 4 guard line-ups. She's a tough kid with a good b-ball IQ. And that she's spent much of the last 2 season leading the Big12 in rebounding is ridiculous (in a good way).

As a side note; along w/Nia Coffey (MN Class 4A champ), Seanna (MN Class 3A champ) was another BIG miss by Borton as another Minnesota kid that got away. Enjoying how both have matured and grown each year. Both are part of the talented junior class to keep an eye on.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: