RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Somebody, for the love of God, please fire Holly Warlick
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zvyn3

PostPosted: 12/06/15 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see how anyone can possibly defend her after this. But there are always some people who will blame everything but her.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/06/15 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
I don't see how anyone can possibly defend her after this. But there are always some people who will blame everything but her.

I think you know how they can. She learned everything she knows from Pat. She's running Pat's system from 20 years ago. Writing Holly off requires admitting that Pat's system doesn't work any more. Are Tenn fans ready to admit that?

zvyn3

PostPosted: 12/06/15 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:

I think you know how they can. She learned everything she knows from Pat. She's running Pat's system from 20 years ago. Writing Holly off requires admitting that Pat's system doesn't work any more. Are Tenn fans ready to admit that?

I sure as fuck am. But as long as Dave Hart is the athletic director, Holly will still be here. And we'll be a perennial NIT team or worse.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/06/15 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I've been saying that Warlick needs to be given a fair shot. Well, she's had that, and she's given us teams that are a hot mess. It's time to move on.

It's still early in the season and conference play hasn't even started. Why are you freaking out already? If the team is playing this way in February and March, THAT is the time to freak out, not Dec. 6. ~smdh~

PostPosted: 12/06/15 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People are freaking out because this team looks even worse than they have in the past 3 years, and those didn't get Tenn to the FF either.

Rocky Top7

PostPosted: 12/06/15 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I for one did not approve the hiring of Holly from the start. Some people are head coach material and some are not...Example Holly and Nicki. I have followed the Lady Vols since the 1st day Pat started. This team has by far looked worse than some high school teams. There are players standing and looking at each other on offence no pressure on the ball and on 2 trips down the floor they hardly know who to guard. With all the talent they have by the end of the year without MAJOR changes they will become a joke. Who do we have coming in next year???? I have one thing to say If Holly gives a rat's ass about the Lady Vols and the Tennessee program she will step down RIGHT NOW. She on her way to destroying this team and future teams.

PostPosted: 12/06/15 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This was so terrible. Tired ball. She needs to go or I am done. Ready to cheer for ND or UConn (geno couldn't have been more gracious when we asked him to take his pic with our kids at the Sky game.) I'm also ready to cheer for Texas, now that TT is the asst coach. It is a shame that Tenn is gonna go the same route as La Tech.

Right the ship, fire Holly. Maybe they should look to the W. How about Mike thibault? I'm sure wash is not paying him close to what Tenn can.

zvyn3

PostPosted: 12/07/15 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
This was so terrible. Tired ball. She needs to go or I am done. Ready to cheer for ND or UConn (geno couldn't have been more gracious when we asked him to take his pic with our kids at the Sky game.) I'm also ready to cheer for Texas, now that TT is the asst coach. It is a shame that Tenn is gonna go the same route as La Tech.

Right the ship, fire Holly. Maybe they should look to the W. How about Mike thibault? I'm sure wash is not paying him close to what Tenn can.

Thibault is 65. It won't do us any good to get someone on the verge of retirement.

Lillian Hidgepork

PostPosted: 12/07/15 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Lady Vols do not need to hire a wore out coach to right a program. They will need to hire a young gun. Matt Insell, Tyler, Walz( not old, but a big time coach)or even maybe Mitchell. Mitchell put UK women on the map, Walz is one of the best in America. Tyler is the prodigal son.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/07/15 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:

You want a WNBA coach? Hire Stephanie White. She would be a tremendous choice.

vickilz

PostPosted: 12/07/15 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought Holly should be given a shot as the head coach. She's had it. Sure she has a winning record, but many of those wins came against unranked teams. This season, The Lady Vols with a lot of talent are barely beating teams that they should be destroying, and now they lost to VT.

She has her system and is trying to force very talented players into a system that doesn't utilize their skills and talents. If she were truly trying to be like Pat, she would be out there talking with and learning from other coaches and implementing what she learns into her stalled, failing system. She's not. Like many people, Holly is a good assistant, #2, right hand man, on the sidelines, not a good head coach.

As long as she's there trying to run the same old "get the ball inside no matter what" system, The Lady Vols are going to continue a very quick slide down hill. Pat created a standard for women's bb, other programs have stepped up, improved and built strong programs. Tennessee will not get the top recruits just because of the name anymore. They have too many choices of where to play with better chances of going to the Final Four and winning the Championship. It's not just this season, it is the future of the program at stake.

Unfortunately, I don't think Hart, Cheeks and the rest of the powers that be, care about women's sports at all.

ClayK

PostPosted: 12/07/15 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's very difficult for a coach to abandon a successful system, which I know from personal experience, but times change and so does the game.

Holly Warlick seems like a competent coach and is a basketball person, but clearly what she's doing right now is not working. Maybe this is just a preseason slump, and after all, what matters is what happens in March, not December, but the signs do seem troubling.

But, as always, the question when letting a coach go is who would be better? Given the attitude of the athletic department towards women's basketball, will Tennessee be willing to pay enough to get a quality young coach?

PostPosted: 12/07/15 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
It's very difficult for a coach to abandon a successful system, which I know from personal experience, but times change and so does the game.

Holly Warlick seems like a competent coach and is a basketball person, but clearly what she's doing right now is not working. Maybe this is just a preseason slump, and after all, what matters is what happens in March, not December, but the signs do seem troubling.

But, as always, the question when letting a coach go is who would be better? Given the attitude of the athletic department towards women's basketball, will Tennessee be willing to pay enough to get a quality young coach?

I don't think that's the question. I think the question is whether the AD cares enough about WBB to make such a change, or any change at all. I maintain that he does not.

PostPosted: 12/07/15 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe he cares plenty but just doesn't want to deal with the inevitable firestorm if he does anything to rile the Cult of Pat.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/07/15 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suggest you read up on his history. He doesn't give a flying Wallenda about women's sports, period. in fact, I would go so far as to say he is more on the side of being hostile towards them.

PostPosted: 12/07/15 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Skyfan22 wrote:

You want a WNBA coach? Hire Stephanie White. She would be a tremendous choice.

Now that would be awesome!! I'd suffer through multiple losing seasons for Steph white! Then she can bring tamika on as asst.

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/07/15 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I suggest you read up on his history. He doesn't give a flying Wallenda about women's sports, period. in fact, I would go so far as to say he is more on the side of being hostile towards them.

There's the distinct possibility that you're both right and that he doesn't think women's sports is worth enough of a fuck to deal with anybody complaining about them.

PostPosted: 12/07/15 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would hate to see this program lose its winning ways. It's a great place to see a game and has a great fan base. For WCBB, it would be bad if this program fails. I hope it can get back to its old glory and soon. Holly needs to go clearly.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/07/15 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14311913/recent-upsets-lack-class-2016-signees-cause-alarm-tennessee-lady-volunteers

Quote:
As of now, the Lady Vols have no commitments from the senior class of 2016.

PostPosted: 12/07/15 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

terpsforever wrote:
I would hate to see this program lose its winning ways. It's a great place to see a game and has a great fan base. For WCBB, it would be bad if this program fails. I hope it can get back to its old glory and soon. Holly needs to go clearly.

I agree. I'm a believer that all sports are generally better off when their traditional power programs are good.

As I said though, it's not going to help if they get rid of Holly and replace her with a clone like Adams or Caldwell or Sonny Boy. It's the biggest program in the game, it deserves a coach commensurate with that.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/07/15 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

I agree. I'm a believer that all sports are generally better off when their traditional power programs are good.

As I said though, it's not going to help if they get rid of Holly and replace her with a clone like Adams or Caldwell or Sonny Boy. It's the biggest program in the game, it deserves a coach commensurate with that.

Traditional powers have bad patches in all sports. Look at the Mike Dubose era of Alabama football or the Walt Hazzard UCLA men's teams.

I stand by my original assessment. Holly Warlick is to Pat Summitt as Bill Guthridge is to Dean Smith.

PostPosted: 12/07/15 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

Traditional powers have bad patches in all sports. Look at the Mike Dubose era of Alabama football or the Walt Hazzard UCLA men's teams.

I stand by my original assessment. Holly Warlick is to Pat Summitt as Bill Guthridge is to Dean Smith.

That's true, they do. But it doesn't matter unless Ten. Is willing to go out and hire the WCBB equivalent of Nick Saban and Roy Williams.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/08/15 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well this was sort of prophetic:

December 2, 2014 - Holly Warlick -

"I don't care if they hit a three; I don't care if they hit a shot," she said. "All I care about is getting down and playing defense. That's what I care about. I don't care if we go 0 for 15 from the 3-point line. I don't really care. All I care about is us getting down in a stance and getting a stop and keeping (the opposition) off the boards. Then I'll be a happy coach."

http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/basketball/lady-vols-sticking-to-defensive-plan-despite-losses_47031642

December 6, 2015 -

"Tennessee (6-2) missed 14 of its final 15 field-goal attempts, including each of the last 10. The 43 points were the lowest single-game total in program history."

http://www.secsports.com/article/14304599/no-8-tennessee-falls-virginia-tech-57-43

I wonder if she's a "happy coach".

terpsforever

PostPosted: 12/08/15 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Well this was sort of prophetic:

December 2, 2014 - Holly Warlick -

"I don't care if they hit a three; I don't care if they hit a shot," she said. "All I care about is getting down and playing defense. That's what I care about. I don't care if we go 0 for 15 from the 3-point line. I don't really care. All I care about is us getting down in a stance and getting a stop and keeping (the opposition) off the boards. Then I'll be a happy coach."

http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/basketball/lady-vols-sticking-to-defensive-plan-despite-losses_47031642

December 6, 2015 -

"Tennessee (6-2) missed 14 of its final 15 field-goal attempts, including each of the last 10. The 43 points were the lowest single-game total in program history."

http://www.secsports.com/article/14304599/no-8-tennessee-falls-virginia-tech-57-43

I wonder if she's a "happy coach".

Now there is some exciting basketball! Hello Holly, I think in this league now, you better know how to be an offensive coach. That quote says it all.

ucbart

PostPosted: 12/09/15 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did anyone expect anything different? Sorry to say this, but this is exactly the way Pat's teams played for many years, but they just had the fastest runners, highest leapers and workiest of the work horses. The Tennessee offense, in my 20+ years of watching WCBB was never a thing of beauty, which IMO, has been well documented by her numerous "observe sessions" and reaching out to people like Harry Peretta.

For years the Tennessee offense has looked like Rutgers with the best recruits, IMO. If you gave CViv Holdsclaw, Parker, Catch and all the other LV greats, she would have a few NC too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: