RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Somebody, for the love of God, please fire Holly Warlick
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skyfan22

PostPosted: 12/03/15 12:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interestingly enough, in tonight's game, Tennessee turns it around when Warlick stops coaching.

Time to realize this is the the DeShields era and not feed the Russell and Graves era. Work through DeShields and the whole team will reap rewards. She looks like a Parker or Moore with what she can do and create on the court.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/03/15 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Time to bring Matthew Mitchell home....

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/03/15 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

I found it interesting that I posted above that Tenn could and should go after the likes of Walz, McGuff, Barnes-Arico, Merchant, Semrau, Rueck, Hillsman, Washington, Coale or Graves but when I recently made one of my very infrequent views of the volnation site I see posts talking about how Tyler Summit will be the next coach in a couple of years. So I, a non-Tenn fan, would evidently aim much higher than a bunch of Tenn fans, and a lot of Tenn fans evidently value extending the Pat era as long as possible over success and excellence.

And as long as that attitude continues to prevail, opponents have little to worry about Tenn.

It's a cult.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/03/15 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

For the love of God, NO! Let's not turn Tennessee into a transfer machine too!

Looks like Kyra and Dean were doing the coaching. How about Kyra?

PostPosted: 12/03/15 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

I found it interesting that I posted above that Tenn could and should go after the likes of Walz, McGuff, Barnes-Arico, Merchant, Semrau, Rueck, Hillsman, Washington, Coale or Graves but when I recently made one of my very infrequent views of the volnation site I see posts talking about how Tyler Summit will be the next coach in a couple of years. So I, a non-Tenn fan, would evidently aim much higher than a bunch of Tenn fans, and a lot of Tenn fans evidently value extending the Pat era as long as possible over success and excellence.

And as long as that attitude continues to prevail, opponents have little to worry about Tenn.

It's a cult.

It is a cult, but to be fair, Auriemma fans talk about Rizzotti and Ralph, and I would suspect McGraw fans would like to see Ivey, Owens, McGuff or Tsipis as successor, no?

I've often thought, along the lines of what you are saying here, that many programs would be better off going for an "outsider" to avoid exactly what's happening with Holly.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/03/15 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's a reason schools don't win national championships with alums as coaches.

The smartest thing Dawn Staley ever did was disavow any interest in the Virginia job when it was open.

PostPosted: 12/03/15 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

It's a cult.

It is a cult, but to be fair, Auriemma fans talk about Rizzotti and Ralph, and I would suspect McGraw fans would like to see Ivey, Owens, McGuff or Tsipis as successor, no?

I've often thought, along the lines of what you are saying here, that many programs would be better off going for an "outsider" to avoid exactly what's happening with Holly.

I doubt many ND fans think Ivey should step right up from ass't to HC. And there's quite a difference between McGuff and Tyler Summit (or between McGuff and either Rizotti or Ralph for that matter). So I'd be happy seeing McGuff take over if McGraw was gone tomorrow, but then again I would consider McGuff an appropriate candidate for any top job in the country. And obviously there aren't many jobs that would warrant leaving where he is. He actually has a long resume, not just a last name. Tsipis is already operating at a much higher level than Summitt, but needs several more years of proving himself.

And, as I said above, I think Tenn should be the most desireable WCBB coaching job in the country all things considered, assuming they are (1) willing to pay appropriately and (2) willing to make a clean break with the past. So they should aim higher than anyone.

Plainly #2 is not going to happen though so why would any top coach take the job?

Do you think Rizzotti or Ralph would be an appropriate replacement for Geno today? I would think the list would look more like what I just listed for Tenn.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/03/15 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Most Tenn Lady Vol fans hate Walz, hate Frese, and hate Mitchell most of all. It would be difficult for any of those coaches to become established there. The others on that list aren't even on the UT radar.

All of this makes Jody Adams an interesting prospect. She has a history of turning programs around (all right, UT needs more of a course correction) and had Wichita State ranked last year. She's also a good X's and O's coach, and seems to get the best out of her players. And she'd be acceptable to the Tenn "cult" as someone called it.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/03/15 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Most Tenn Lady Vol fans hate Walz, hate Frese, and hate Mitchell most of all. It would be difficult for any of those coaches to become established there. The others on that list aren't even on the UT radar.

All of this makes Jody Adams an interesting prospect. She has a history of turning programs around (all right, UT needs more of a course correction) and had Wichita State ranked last year. She's also a good X's and O's coach, and seems to get the best out of her players. And she'd be acceptable to the Tenn "cult" as someone called it.

"Aren't on the radar".

That's the problem. Instead of having a qualified, accomplished coach appropriate to the role "on the radar" all one hears is Tyler Summitt, Nikki Caldwell and other names whose only qualification is some link to the Pat past.

As I said, as long as that attitude continues to prevail, opponents have little to worry about Tenn.

Oh, and Bama fans hated Nick Saban when he coached for LSU, but loved him as soon as he became their coach. That's a non-issue. Except for the Pat Cultists who won't be happy with anyone not named Tyler , real fans would love Walz the moment he signed a contract with Tenn.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 12/03/15 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

It's a cult.

I doubt many ND fans think Ivey should step right up from ass't to HC. And there's quite a difference between McGuff and Tyler Summit (or between McGuff and either Rizotti or Ralph for that matter). So I'd be happy seeing McGuff take over if McGraw was gone tomorrow, but then again I would consider McGuff an appropriate candidate for any top job in the country. And obviously there aren't many jobs that would warrant leaving where he is. He actually has a long resume, not just a last name. Tsipis is already operating at a much higher level than Summitt, but needs several more years of proving himself.

And, as I said above, I think Tenn should be the most desireable WCBB coaching job in the country all things considered, assuming they are (1) willing to pay appropriately and (2) willing to make a clean break with the past. So they should aim higher than anyone.

Plainly #2 is not going to happen though so why would any top coach take the job?

Do you think Rizzotti or Ralph would be an appropriate replacement for Geno today? I would think the list would look more like what I just listed for Tenn.

I really don't know. I'm never sure what UConn's athletic department is thinking.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/03/15 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

It's a cult.

I really don't know. I'm never sure what UConn's athletic department is thinking.

But what do YOU think that they should be thinking?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/03/15 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

"Aren't on the radar".

That's the problem. Instead of having a qualified, accomplished coach appropriate to the role "on the radar" all one hears is Tyler Summitt, Nikki Caldwell and other names whose only qualification is some link to the Pat past.

As I said, as long as that attitude continues to prevail, opponents have little to worry about Tenn.

Oh, and Bama fans hated Nick Saban when he coached for LSU, but loved him as soon as he became their coach. That's a non-issue. Except for the Pat Cultists who won't be happy with anyone not named Tyler , real fans would love Walz the moment he signed a contract with Tenn.

Well, Art, since you seem to be the one who sees all and knows all, who's going to be "on the radar" when Muffett retires? She's not getting any younger either, and she's got her own "cult" going on. Don't tell me there hasn't been talk about it......

PostPosted: 12/03/15 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

"Aren't on the radar".

Well, Art, since you seem to be the one who sees all and knows all, who's going to be "on the radar" when Muffett retires? She's not getting any younger either, and she's got her own "cult" going on. Don't tell me there hasn't been talk about it......

Why don't you try reading the thread. You might find your answer.

Reading is fundamental.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/03/15 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, Art, since you seem to be the one who sees all and knows all, who's going to be "on the radar" when Muffett retires? She's not getting any younger either, and she's got her own "cult" going on. Don't tell me there hasn't been talk about it......[/quote]

Reading is fundamental.[/quote]

I did read it. You talked about every other coaching job. Not a word about ND. Danced all around it, you did. Other people talked about it. You just waffled.

PostPosted: 12/03/15 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Quote:

Reading is fundamental.

Quote:

I did read it. You talked about every other coaching job. Not a word about ND. Danced all around it, you did. Other people talked about it. You just waffled.

I guess you missed the sentence when Art said he would be happy if McGuff would take over for Muffett.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/03/15 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Quote:

Reading is fundamental.

Quote:

I guess you missed the sentence when Art said he would be happy if McGuff would take over for Muffett.

He went on to qualify it, so I didn't consider it exactly a resounding endorsement, but I guess that's just his style.

PostPosted: 12/03/15 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Quote:

Reading is fundamental.

Quote:

Not to mention talking about Ivey and Tsipis not being ready.

But it wasn't a serious question in the first place so what had already been discussed didn't matter anyhow. Surprised there wasn't any cheerleading for Tyler worked into it though.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/04/15 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Quote:

Reading is fundamental.

Quote:

Not to mention talking about Ivey and Tsipis not being ready.

But it wasn't a serious question in the first place so what had already been discussed didn't matter anyhow. Surprised there wasn't any cheerleading for Tyler worked into it though.

I don't know why you're so surprised, Artie. I guess you have a REAL short memory. I've been a proponent of Tyler building his own program pretty much since he went into coaching. I think it would be a real bad idea for him to come back to UT except as a visiting coach, at least for the foreseeable future. I'm very happy that he's found a place at LA Tech and I really hope he can accomplish his stated objective there. It's a tall order, but if anyone can do it, Tyler can.

As for replacing coaches, it's *always* a serious question, because anything can happen and often does. Everyone thought Pat would be at UT forever, because she always seemed so healthy and vital, and suddenly BOOM! out of nowhere. Everyone expected Kurt Budke to be at Oklahoma State, too, until the plane crash. So yeah, anything can happen.....plane crash, heart attack, stroke, or something long and slow like cancer or dementia. Geno or Muffett or even someone young like Walz or McGuff or Mitchell could be gone tomorrow and a replacement would have to be found and a program rebooted. Sh*t happens.

PostPosted: 12/04/15 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is fantastic conversation going on here... some of the side commentary is veering into gray territory, though. Let's discuss and dissect the ideas, not the people.

PostPosted: 12/04/15 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

I wouldn't mind seeing Jeff Walz at UConn. I've thought he would be a logical successor. There are some others too that are young and could do something with the program. He'd never come east but I love what Graves has done. Lindsay Gottlieb I'd like.

Of the insiders, I do think Shea Ralph may be ready for a program, just not 100% sure about that and the pressure of UConn.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/04/15 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

I wouldn't mind seeing Jeff Walz at UConn. I've thought he would be a logical successor. There are some others too that are young and could do something with the program. He'd never come east but I love what Graves has done. Lindsay Gottlieb I'd like.

Of the insiders, I do think Shea Ralph may be ready for a program, just not 100% sure about that and the pressure of UConn.

I think Walz has the ego and the personality to handle the pressure of succeeding Geno at UConn, which would not be an easy task. He'd be a home hire hire there. I also think he'd be a home run hire at Tenn. I expect at UConn as well he'd insist on not keeping any current staff. Someone like Walz would insist on making it his own program from day one.

Lillian Hidgepork

PostPosted: 12/06/15 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee fans will love anyone who wins. They did not love Pat for being Pat, they loved her because she won. If Mitchell, Walz etc were to come to Knoxville and win, they would be the best thing since sliced bread.

And with that being said Tyler Summit will be the next coach at UT.

And now going down to Virginia Tech.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/06/15 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lillian Hidgepork wrote:
Tennessee fans will love anyone who wins. They did not love Pat for being Pat, they loved her because she won. If Mitchell, Walz etc were to come to Knoxville and win, they would be the best thing since sliced bread.

And with that being said Tyler Summit will be the next coach at UT.

And now going down to Virginia Tech.

'
I very much doubt that. Particularly if Heartless Dave were to pick Brenda (which he wouldn't be likely to). I also very much doubt that he would pick Tyler Summitt. He has no sense of tradition at all. Nor do Jimmy the Cheek and JoJo the Clown DiPietro. You have only to look at any of their other decisions to see that.

I am, however, appalled that they lost to VA Tech. Just as they lost to an inferior Virginia team a few years back. Ugh. That, however, was a wakeup call. This had better be.

PostPosted: 12/06/15 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been saying that Warlick needs to be given a fair shot. Well, she's had that, and she's given us teams that are a hot mess. It's time to move on.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/06/15 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I've been saying that Warlick needs to be given a fair shot. Well, she's had that, and she's given us teams that are a hot mess. It's time to move on.

What's the point if you're not willing to hire the kind of coach Tenn deserves and are going to limit your choices to Tyler Summit, Jody Adams or Nikki Caldwell. That's not going to put Tenn back into the elite of WCBB.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: