RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Somebody, for the love of God, please fire Holly Warlick
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snichols

PostPosted: 12/17/15 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I watched the game on TV, since I couldn't make it down for the game this time. I was amazed at how fluid the Stanford offense looked, in a game where they weren't hitting any three pointers. I haven't seen the Stanford offense look that fluid since they were running the triangle with bunch of future WNBAers on the court, like the Ogwumikes, Jayne Appel, Kayla Pederson, and Jeannette Pohlen. This bunch doesn't have that level of talent, so I don't think it was the Stanford offense that suddenly took a leap, I think it was the Tennesse defense.

Tennessee has never been known for a great offensive system, but they used to play tough defense and rebound. Despite being a clearly more athletic team, and with more size inside, they were outrebounded, and except for a period in the 4th quarter, their defense didn't give Stanford much problem, not even when they pressed. Stanford penetrated at will, the passing lanes were wide open, and Tennessee fouled them rather than play defense.

Maybe it's the new uniforms, but I didn't recognize that Tennessee team. I've seen the Lady Vols play bad games before, but I'm not sure I've ever seen them play defense that badly.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 12/17/15 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ThreeBall25 wrote:
From a Harper to Ohio State article: she noticed "palpable chemistry issues" during a visit to Tennessee. Hmmmm.

http://www.swishappeal.com/2015/12/13/9867322/linnae-harper-transfers-ohio-state-kentucky

It does seem pretty obvious that there are chemistry issues...my guess is cliques, but really don't know anything for sure. However, Holly wouldn't be the first coach to have to deal with this kind of problem. There was clearly a problem between DD and teammates at UNC, so one wonders if that hasn't carried over - new team, similar result. Regardless, we know Pat wouldn't have put up with any nonsense so ultimately it comes back to how the coach deals with it. They have a lot of talent and potential so somehow it could all come together - winning definitely helps chemistry issues while losing exacerbates them.

I thought it interesting BTW that McCall said (according to Peck last night) that she wanted to become more of a leader like Deshields! (this after playing together at the University games)

If so really bad choice! Seems to me that McCall is immature in her game and her comments the "now we are eating candy" comment after the win, stupid IMO.

snichols

PostPosted: 12/17/15 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
If so really bad choice! Seems to me that McCall is immature in her game and her comments the "now we are eating candy" comment after the win, stupid IMO.

There was a bigger context to that comment. She said that after the Santa Clara loss, they had a bad taste in their mouth, but now "we are eating candy."

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/17/15 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the combo of HW and DD is a recipe for overall team underachievement.

PostPosted: 12/18/15 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snichols wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:

There was a bigger context to that comment. She said that after the Santa Clara loss, they had a bad taste in their mouth, but now "we are eating candy."

Still stupid Rolling Eyes

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/18/15 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
I think the combo of HW and DD is a recipe for overall team underachievement.

I think this is a bad fit style wise for DeShields. She was much freer to do what she does best in the UNC roll-'em-out-and-let-'em-play streetball style. I know it's hard to see an offensive "system" at Tenn, but there is one, and it's much more restrictive. It's really not a great fit.

DD seemed to step out and take charge during the first 15 minutes or so vs Stanford. I'm wondering if she got told to cut out the freelancing, because she seemed to pretty much vanish the last 25 minutes or so. You can tell she's still able to play, she just looks like she's not sure what she is supposed to be doing and is afraid to do what she did as a freshman that earned her all the accolades.

Oh, and Russell may be the worst #1 recruit in recent memory. No moves, no footwork, no hands, frequently completely out of position to make a play, and very soft and passive.

She needs some serious coaching and to be benched if she ever roams more than 5 feet from the basket or ever trys to put the ball on the floor until she gets the message of where she is supposed to play.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/18/15 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
DD seemed to step out and take charge during the first 15 minutes or so vs Stanford. I'm wondering if she got told to cut out the freelancing, because she seemed to pretty much vanish the last 25 minutes or so. You can tell she's still able to play, she just looks like she's not sure what she is supposed to be doing and is afraid to do what she did as a freshman that earned her all the accolades.

Oh, and Russell may be the worst #1 recruit in recent memory. No moves, no footwork, no hands, frequently completely out of position to make a play, and very soft and passive.

She needs some serious coaching and to be benched if she ever roams more than 5 feet from the basket or ever trys to put the ball on the floor until she gets the message of where she is supposed to play.

This pretty much describes the whole team.

I think Russell is probably coachable, although I'm not so sure about DD. Either way, I don't think the Tenn coaching staff is up to the task.

dtbtbtb

PostPosted: 12/20/15 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Russell was very good playing for team USA during the summer so IMO she does have potential but she is on the wrong team as it does not look that she'll reach that in TN

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/20/15 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtbtbtb wrote:
Russell was very good playing for team USA during the summer so IMO she does have potential but she is on the wrong team as it does not look that she'll reach that in TN

I thought she was soft and passive during the summer too and wastes her time wandering around 30 feet from the basket. She was just bigger than everyone else and was facing weak oposition.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/20/15 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
How much more of this stuff do we need to watch from warlick she is obviously a horrible coach you have all the talent on your team all the top 25 talent you can think of in the country and yet you produce a team that's probably not even a top 25 team at this point warlick cannot develop players and she claims she preaches defense, but the defense sucks where is the offense you have all this offensive fire power and you can't even draw up a play to score. This comes back to who? not the players but the coach. She slowly but obviously destroying andl empire. Has there ever even been a Coaches Poll Or AP poll in WCBB History without Tennessee in it? Im Expecting all time lows this season. Whats the lowest seed the lady vols have been? Warlick the Warlock Is Making UT Bball No attractive to watch anymore

I am not defending Holly this time, but good grief, can you PLEASE write a post with something resembling proper sentences and clean up your spelling and punctuation? Otherwise who is going to bother reading it?

Only Idiots Like you...voice texting is not perfect so stfu already..or do you need me to spell that out correctly with excellent grammar also Rolling Eyes Arrow

PostPosted: 12/20/15 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
How much more of this stuff do we need to watch from warlick she is obviously a horrible coach you have all the talent on your team all the top 25 talent you can think of in the country and yet you produce a team that's probably not even a top 25 team at this point warlick cannot develop players and she claims she preaches defense, but the defense sucks where is the offense you have all this offensive fire power and you can't even draw up a play to score. This comes back to who? not the players but the coach. She slowly but obviously destroying andl empire. Has there ever even been a Coaches Poll Or AP poll in WCBB History without Tennessee in it? Im Expecting all time lows this season. Whats the lowest seed the lady vols have been? Warlick the Warlock Is Making UT Bball No attractive to watch anymore

I am not defending Holly this time, but good grief, can you PLEASE write a post with something resembling proper sentences and clean up your spelling and punctuation? Otherwise who is going to bother reading it?

Only Idiots Like you...voice texting is not perfect so stfu already..or do you need me to spell that out correctly with excellent grammar also Rolling Eyes Arrow

Guys. Don't let this go any further.

PostPosted: 12/21/15 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Im going to leave the board. Theres no freedom to speak or spell incorrectly here without being criticized. Some people just want to talk basketball and others just want to feel empowered. Im out ✌

PostPosted: 12/21/15 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FYI, it is Nikki Fargas (no longer Caldwell)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikki_Fargas

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 12/22/15 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
And anyway, Heartless Dave doesn't give two whoops about women's sports. I doubt if he even gives one.

That is the ABSOLUTE TRUTH!!!

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 12/22/15 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zvyn3 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
I don't see how anyone can possibly defend her after this. But there are always some people who will blame everything but her.

I think you know how they can. She learned everything she knows from Pat. She's running Pat's system from 20 years ago. Writing Holly off requires admitting that Pat's system doesn't work any more. Are Tenn fans ready to admit that?

I sure as fuck am. But as long as Dave Hart is the athletic director, Holly will still be here. And we'll be a perennial NIT team or worse.

She has been to two Elite 8s and a Sweet 16, not to mention winning the SEC twice.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/22/15 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
zvyn3 wrote:
I don't see how anyone can possibly defend her after this. But there are always some people who will blame everything but her.

I think you know how they can. She learned everything she knows from Pat. She's running Pat's system from 20 years ago. Writing Holly off requires admitting that Pat's system doesn't work any more. Are Tenn fans ready to admit that?

I sure as fuck am. But as long as Dave Hart is the athletic director, Holly will still be here. And we'll be a perennial NIT team or worse.

She has been to two Elite 8s and a Sweet 16, not to mention winning the SEC twice.

But I think the point is valid. Pat did her thing by getting the most athletic players and using their athleticism to beat other 'system' or 'skill' teams, creating a lot of offense from pressure defense...amd most of her players didn't need to shoot all that well. (this is a broad statement of course, since she always had one or two pretty skilled players mixed in). Now there is much more parity in terms of athleticism so there needs to be a real offensive scheme and less reliance on pressure defense to beat the best teams. JMO.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/08/16 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This press conference last night would seem relevant to this discussion.

Essentially Holly is saying she's lost her team and they are paying no attention to her. For example:

"That was not our game plan. They're on their own agenda. I'm telling them to drive, they're shooting threes." and

"Ask them. I'm saying one thing and they're doing another."

That's basically the consistent theme of her comments.

So is she willing to sit some players until they play the way she wants them to play, or is this the WBB version of Varsity Blues?

Either way, this has the potential to get worse before it gets better.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cUdEiQpGZU4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shades

PostPosted: 01/08/16 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"You can't blame Holly [Warlick]. She was telling the guards to penetrate over and over again. I don't know if it was the zone, or not wanting to. I don't know what it was, but we died by the three pointer tonight. We played inside out at Missouri. We played inside out at Oregon State and we won. I think we have to hang our hats on that."
-- Andraya Carter

I didn't realize Shimmy Gray-Miller was the acting head coach for Florida in this game. I really liked her at Nebraska. Any thoughts of her being a head coach somewhere?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/08/16 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So what do you think Auriemma or McGraw or Walz or Mulkey or VanDerveer would do if particular players basically thumbed their noses at their instructions?

My guess is they would not play another second of the game, regardless of who they were.

Every one of them would say "You play my way, or you don't play. End of discussion."

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/08/16 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I didn't realize Shimmy Gray-Miller was the acting head coach for Florida in this game. I really liked her at Nebraska. Any thoughts of her being a head coach somewhere?

She was HC at SLU for seven years before going to NU. Never had a winning record. Finished 71-136.

Now maybe she's learned a lot since, but I doubt she's on a lot of AD's short lists.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 01/09/16 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I've been saying that Warlick needs to be given a fair shot. Well, she's had that, and she's given us teams that are a hot mess. It's time to move on.

If you want things to change, find an AD who is not hostile to women's sports.

PostPosted: 01/09/16 12:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
I've been saying that Warlick needs to be given a fair shot. Well, she's had that, and she's given us teams that are a hot mess. It's time to move on.

Exactly. And that's not going to happen with the current clowns in charge.

PostPosted: 01/09/16 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:

And the evidence for this "hostility" is

1) following a perfectly rationale recommendation of the school's consultants to unite the entire athletic program under a single brand, and

2) following Pat's choice and hiring her hand picked successor?

Can you imagine the riot that would have ensued if he'd done a full proper search and gone ouside the "family" to hire a proper coach to replace Pat? I expect his position regarding the cult is "you got your own choice, live with it."

He likely also knows both that hiring anyone but Tyler now to replace Holly would cause another uproar and that Tyler is totally unqualified. Indeed, Holly still has considerable support. I'm not surprised he's avoiding that mess.

I fail to see how either of these manifest "hostility". The guy is a well regarded professional. I suspect this "hostility" is largely mythology.

It's interesting that he made exactly the hire the Pat Cult wanted him to make but now that supposedly reflects "hostility." Firing Holly would be proof of "hostility." Keeping her is proof of "hostility." Going out and hiring a real coach would be proof of "hostility."

I wouldn't touch it either if I was in his shoes.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/09/16 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

And the evidence for this "hostility" is

1) following a perfectly rationale recommendation of the school's consultants to unite the entire athletic program under a single brand, and

2) following Pat's choice and hiring her hand picked successor?

Can you imagine the riot that would have ensued if he'd done a full proper search and gone ouside the "family" to hire a proper coach to replace Pat? I expect his position regarding the cult is "you got your own choice, live with it."

He likely also knows both that hiring anyone but Tyler now to replace Holly would cause another uproar and that Tyler is totally unqualified. Indeed, Holly still has considerable support. I'm not surprised he's avoiding that mess.

I fail to see how either of these manifest "hostility". The guy is a well regarded professional. I suspect this "hostility" is largely mythology.

It's interesting that he made exactly the hire the Pat Cult wanted him to make but now that supposedly reflects "hostility." Firing Holly would be proof of "hostility." Keeping her is proof of "hostility." Going out and hiring a real coach would be proof of "hostility."

I wouldn't touch it either if I was in his shoes.

Of course you are ignoring his entire previous record, but that's par for the course.

And just FYI, the Lady Vols have had more, and more serious, and longer lasting injuries since Jenny Moshak and her crew were fired. Put that in your hat and wear it.

PostPosted: 01/09/16 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It does seem that Dave Hart doesn't care for women's sports that much, but it's hard to say whether that's just a business decision or some ingrained bias against female athletes.

You certainly can argue that consolidating the athletic department (I don't know of any other Power 5 team that splits by gender) and focusing the branding were motivated by business decisions. But that doesn't mean Hart is a supporter of women's athletics either.

Still, he's going to have to do something with Warlick, it looks like, but it's an interesting dilemma. If he fires her and eats the contract, then he could be criticized for completing the demolition of the Lady Vol empire and losing money on a bad contract that he signed. If he doesn't fire her, he could be criticized for not caring about women's sports and being more concerned with the bottom line than a quality program.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: