RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#8 Texas holds a golden ticket to the top 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linkster

PostPosted: 11/27/15 2:44 pm    ::: #8 Texas holds a golden ticket to the top 4 Reply Reply with quote

11-29 at #4 Tenn
12-2 vs #8 MSST
12-13 vs #13 Stan

Three games against what may be the 3 most over-rated teams in the AP poll. Tenn pulled out another heart-stopping win, over Albany this time, to continue undefeated. MSST has gone over the century mark twice. And Stanford continues to garner votes based on little more than name recognition.

I haven't seen Texas play since the S16, when injuries had made them a shadow of the team I saw in the early part of the season. Has anyone watched them play this season?

beknighted

PostPosted: 11/27/15 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only team in that group ranked ahead of Texas is Tennessee. I don't expect that wins over teams that aren't ahead of the Longhorns will move them up. (And if you're talking about seeding, if these teams are overrated now, wins over them will not look quite so good come tournament time.)

linkster

PostPosted: 11/28/15 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
The only team in that group ranked ahead of Texas is Tennessee. I don't expect that wins over teams that aren't ahead of the Longhorns will move them up. (And if you're talking about seeding, if these teams are overrated now, wins over them will not look quite so good come tournament time.)

A win over Tenn would be better than any win of the teams ranked 4-7. Tenn, Baylor, OSU & MD. Those teams have no real claim to their rankings other than reputation. Baylor has played a bunch of pansy teams and will continue to do so until they play Texas. OSU and MD fall into the same category. I don't think any of them deserves their ranking based on performances against even one decent team. Texas would have wins over 2 top 10 teams plus Stanford.

beknighted

PostPosted: 11/28/15 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
beknighted wrote:

A win over Tenn would be better than any win of the teams ranked 4-7. Tenn, Baylor, OSU & MD. Those teams have no real claim to their rankings other than reputation. Baylor has played a bunch of pansy teams and will continue to do so until they play Texas. OSU and MD fall into the same category. I don't think any of them deserves their ranking based on performances against even one decent team. Texas would have wins over 2 top 10 teams plus Stanford.

I'm pretty sure you know that a win by #8 over #4 wouldn't vault #8 over 5, 6, and 7. And Baylor beat Michigan State today, which is better than any team the Longhorns have played so far.

But we'll see tomorrow.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 11/28/15 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
beknighted wrote:

Even before Baylor beat Michigan St tonight, they beat USF. Usually you refer to the Bulls as at least decent, and they are in the top 25 even after their loss to Baylor. Courtney Williams is the bomb and Jenkins is pretty good. And Maryland beat the Jackrabbits yesterday and they are also at least decent.

linkster

PostPosted: 11/29/15 1:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
linkster wrote:
beknighted wrote:

Even before Baylor beat Michigan St tonight, they beat USF. Usually you refer to the Bulls as at least decent, and they are in the top 25 even after their loss to Baylor. Courtney Williams is the bomb and Jenkins is pretty good. And Maryland beat the Jackrabbits yesterday and they are also at least decent.

You're right. I totally missed those two games. But then USF is ranked 18th and SDSU is unranked and without a vote in either poll.But I don't think of either as pansy teams. Compared to Tenn, MSST & Stanford that is still no comparison.

And to be clear, I am not saying the rankings are accurate. But Texas moved up 4 slots last year by beating Stanford, moving past MD & Duke even though they hadn't lost.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: