RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Schuye LaRue -- where she is now

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 11/18/15 7:48 am    ::: Schuye LaRue -- where she is now Reply Reply with quote

This terribly sad story about Schuye LaRue is on the front page of the Washington Post today:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/social-issues/how-one-of-the-most-promising-basketball-players-became-homeless/2015/11/17/2dbd5c44-87ce-11e5-be8b-1ae2e4f50f76_story.html

Mental illness is so awful.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/18/15 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is a terrible story. It made me cry. I had forgotten Schuye LaRue, but I remember her now.

Chamique Holdsclaw, mentioned in the story, also suffers from mental illness, as most of you probably know. She was finally diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder and is now working to raise awareness of mental health through a foundation she has started.
http://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2015/10/29/iyw-chamique-holdsclaw.cnn
At present she is traveling around college campuses with a filmmaker who made a movie about her struggles called Mind/Game: The Unquiet Journey of Chamique Holdsclaw. This is in an effort to raise awareness about the problems of mental health on the college campus. I'm hoping against hope that they'll bring it to JMU so that I can see it and meet her once again.

PostPosted: 11/18/15 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. I realized I saw her last NCAA game - 1st round NCAA Tournament at Notre Dame - vs Michigan. Wasn't the story at the time that she wanted to go overseas to make money for her family instead of stay in school? I think she was the first major player to do that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: