RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaches poll out
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/06/16 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/womens-basketball/polls?poll=3

UConn unanimous

Oregon State up to #2

Syracuse up to #3

Louisville down to #14

Washington and Tennessee in
Colorado State, Florida, and St John's out

PostPosted: 04/06/16 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This version of the coaches poll identifies the teams that went up (4), down (14) and stayed the same (7):

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/basketball-women/polls/coaches-poll/

So are we all agreed that this post-tournament poll reflects the best "reality" of the relative strengths of the 2015-16 D1 WCBB teams?
Shades

PostPosted: 04/06/16 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WAS ends up at #8 despite making the Final Four. They're the only Final Four team slighted.

Baylor at #4. WAS may have been slighted, but I don't mind that ranking.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 04/06/16 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
So are we all agreed that this post-tournament poll reflects the best "reality" of the relative strengths of the 2015-16 D1 WCBB teams?

I, myself, have a couple of quibbles, but what's the point, even?

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 04/06/16 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WAS ends up at #8 despite making the Final Four. They're the only Final Four team slighted.

Baylor at #4. WAS may have been slighted, but I don't mind that ranking.

I don't think that Washington was slighted at all. They had 11 losses this season. A great run to the FF does not erase all those losses. How can you have a 2-loss South Carolina, Baylor, or ND below them?

And Syracuse at #2? I understand they made the NC game, but they had 8 losses this season. If the poll is supposed to represent the whole season's work, how are they above Notre Dame, who beat them twice this season (by 28 and 11) and lost only 2 games all season?

None of this upsets me but it seems unsettling.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/07/16 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are two ways, basically, to rank teams:

1) Who would be the favorite if they played tonight?

2) Who has the better body of work over the entire season, up to tonight?

I prefer 2), but many prefer 1). They are, however, apples and oranges.

PostPosted: 04/07/16 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I prefer 2), but many prefer 1). They are, however, apples and oranges.

Even by measure #1, I think it is extremely unlikely that Syracuse and Ore St would be favored in Vegas over several teams below them if they played today. So some of these choices flunk either test.

It seems to represent an inconsistent and inexplicable amalgamation of simply following the tournament results or ranking based on normal mid season ranking judgments. I can't find a consistent logic for when they did one vs when they did the other. It's just a mess.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/07/16 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For me, Notre Dame would still be #2. It's inexplicable why/how Stanford won that game but it shows that on any particular night, just about anything can happen. Still I think ND would win 4 games out of five in that matchup...and just about any other. SC might win 2 against them, but I can't think anyone else would except UConn who is in a league of their own.

- Amanda Gorman
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 04/07/16 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
For me, Notre Dame would still be #2. It's inexplicable why/how Stanford won that game but it shows that on any particular night, just about anything can happen. Still I think ND would win 4 games out of five in that matchup...and just about any other. SC might win 2 against them, but I can't think anyone else would except UConn who is in a league of their own.

C'mon, Stanford exposed ND. ND was weak defensively and Stanford is capable of playing that way, just rewatch last years Uconn game and the OSU game where they beat OSU 76 to 54! What they cannot seem to do is be consistent (I know, understatement of the year).

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/07/16 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
myrtle wrote:

C'mon, Stanford exposed ND. ND was weak defensively and Stanford is capable of playing that way, just rewatch last years Uconn game and the OSU game where they beat OSU 76 to 54! What they cannot seem to do is be consistent (I know, understatement of the year).

Yeah, that must be it. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Enjoy the win. Upsets are what make the tournament fun.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/07/16 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

They won because they shot 10% higher than their season average, 20% higher than their 3pt average, and McCall had her career game. Oh, and as ND was about to take the lead, Stanford preserved its lead with a blind baseball throw bank shot three as the clock expired. That helped too.

It's called an upset.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/08/16 2:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I prefer 2), but many prefer 1).

Is this a Zen koan or something Hindu?

How would one determine (1) other than by an opinion on (2)?

And the problem with (2) is the ambiguity and multiple possible interpretations of the word "better". The question is whether the post-tournament coaches poll is now the best available interpretation.
ClayK

PostPosted: 04/08/16 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I prefer 2), but many prefer 1).

Is this a Zen koan or something Hindu?

How would one determine (1) other than by an opinion on (2)?

And the problem with (2) is the ambiguity and multiple possible interpretations of the word "better". The question is whether the post-tournament coaches poll is now the best available interpretation.

The biggest difference between 1) and 2) is usually injuries. In high school this year, when Chaminade (which finished No. 9) had Leaonna Odom (going to Duke), they might have been one of the top two or three teams in the country. She missed nine games, though, and they lost three games during that span. But she was healthy at season's end ... so you could argue Chaminade was No. 2, or you could argue that the four losses (one bad one) should have dropped them further.

And it's also true that no team, at any level, plays to its fullest potential all season long. Some teams are at their peak in December; others in January; and others in March. There are a lot of possible reasons, from team chemistry to illness (a flu that runs through a roster can lead to some unexpected losses) to outside stress on top players to coaches finally figuring out precisely what this team does best.

Syracuse is a pretty good example of playing well at season's end, and Cal is a pretty good example of playing well early.

PostPosted: 04/08/16 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

They won because they shot 10% higher than their season average, 20% higher than their 3pt average, and McCall had her career game. Oh, and as ND was about to take the lead, Stanford preserved its lead with a blind baseball throw bank shot three as the clock expired. That helped too.

It's called an upset.

Didn't Notre Dame get to the Final last year on a "look what I found" putback in the final seconds?

IMO Notre Dame was a worn out team at the end of this season due to a lack of size and fatigue among their freshmen and it showed in the Stanford game. Rankings all season are a snapshot of how teams are perceived "right now" and there's nothing wrong with judging the teams in those terms at the end.

Last edited by linkster on 04/08/16 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/08/16 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

It's called an upset.

Didn't Notre Dame get to the FF last year on a "look what I found" putback in the final seconds?

IMO Notre Dame was a worn out team at the end of this season due to a lack of size and fatigue among their freshmen and it showed in the Stanford game. Rankings all season are a snapshot of how teams are perceived "right now" and there's nothing wrong with judging the teams in those terms at the end.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, no matter how wrong it might be.

linkster

PostPosted: 04/08/16 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

It's called an upset.

Didn't Notre Dame get to the FF last year on a "look what I found" putback in the final seconds?

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, no matter how wrong it might be.

Without a doubt. Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: