RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The removal of the 1-and-1
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 11/16/15 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I have an issue with most team sports because they almost all involve trying to deceive the officials.

Good thing sports like cycling, track and field, auto racing, horse racing, boxing, etc., don't have any cheaters.

PostPosted: 11/16/15 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
linkster wrote:
Quote:
Another one is intentionally interfering with a pass in the endzone. If the WR catches the ball, it's a TD. If it's a pass interference call, then at worst, it's a new 1st down and half the distance to the goal line (assuming the line of scrimmage was close. Otherwise, it's 15 yards). In that case, of course you interfere with the pass.

I've seen games were at least twice in a row there was an interference call in the endzone.

I agree. Of course there is no certainty that without the pass interference the ball would have been caught for a touchdown.

If I was king of football I would change the "half the distance to the goal" rule to create a "penalty bank" where the yardage would be assessed at a later point in a game. Besides the examples you gave it also incentivised offensive teams to take more chances with offensive pass interference, etc. when they are backed up to their own goal because the penalty is a couple of yards or less.

I have an issue with most team sports because they almost all involve trying to deceive the officials. In other words, cheating. And it's taught and in some cases praised. In baseball, catchers almost all try to "pull" balls into the strike zone. I wish there was a rule where the second base umpire could call an automatic ball on any pitch where the catcher did that. I don't remember that being done much when I was younger but it's almost universal now. And it's cheating.

The general attitude today is that cheating is fine. The only thing that is wrong is getting caught at it.

I'm gonna guess not too many fans think of end-of-game fouling as cheating.

After all, it doesn't involve deceiving the officials. Au contraire! In fact, perhaps the fouler should be credited for calling attention to their misdeed--maybe a gold star for sportsmanship. Razz

It's not cheating. It's a matter of risk/reward. The rules say do x, get y penalty. If the team determines the penalty is less damaging than what happens if they don't do x, then doing x is the proper course of action.

PostPosted: 11/16/15 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is there still a concept of ball control foul in basketball?

Anyway, to speed up the end-of-game foulfests, I would propose penalizing any ball control foul in the last two minutes of a game by giving the offense one free throw -- or two, if a shooting foul -- followed by re-possession of the ball. This could adversely affect either the team behind or the team ahead if they are not careful.
ClayK

PostPosted: 11/17/15 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The late free throws don't bother me as much as the endless timeouts. I would limit each team to one timeout in the final minute ...

PostPosted: 11/17/15 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The late free throws don't bother me as much as the endless timeouts. I would limit each team to one timeout in the final minute ...

The new rule is that a team cannot call a timeout after they make a basket. That will save a lot of timeouts called to set up the defense.

linkster

PostPosted: 11/17/15 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have an issue with most team sports because they almost all involve trying to deceive the officials. In other words, cheating. And it's taught and in some cases praised. In baseball, catchers almost all try to "pull" balls into the strike zone. I wish there was a rule where the second base umpire could call an automatic ball on any pitch where the catcher did that. I don't remember that being done much when I was younger but it's almost universal now. And it's cheating.

The general attitude today is that cheating is fine. The only thing that is wrong is getting caught at it.[/quote]

Quote:

Neither do I. When I referred to cheating I was talking about the intentional attempt to deceive officials, not intentional fouls.

Quote:
It's not cheating. It's a matter of risk/reward. The rules say do x, get y penalty. If the team determines the penalty is less damaging than what happens if they don't do x, then doing x is the proper course of action.

If the penalty for violating the rules is tolerable or even advantageous then the penalty isn't severe enough.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 11/17/15 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

The general attitude today is that cheating is fine. The only thing that is wrong is getting caught at it.

Quote:

Neither do I. When I referred to cheating I was talking about the intentional attempt to deceive officials, not intentional fouls.

Quote:

If the penalty for violating the rules is tolerable or even advantageous then the penalty isn't severe enough.[/quote]

So when Stewie fouls to prevent a layup, what should the penalty be in your world?

PostPosted: 11/17/15 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Quote:

If the penalty for violating the rules is tolerable or even advantageous then the penalty isn't severe enough.

I'm open to discussing that. If the powers that be wanted to stop end game intentional fouling it would be easy to do. Just give the team that got fouled the option of keeping the ball with a clock reset instead of FTs. They haven't made that change, which suggests they are OK with the status quo.

PostPosted: 11/17/15 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

So when Stewie fouls to prevent a layup, what should the penalty be in your world?

I believe if the foul is determined to be intentional then it's foul shot(s) and possession. If the foul occurred in an honest attempt to block the shot then it's 2 shots. There's also the option of calling a flagrant foul.

And it applies to everyone, not just Stewart.

I figured you knew that?

linkster

PostPosted: 11/17/15 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
linkster wrote:
Quote:

I'm open to discussing that. If the powers that be wanted to stop end game intentional fouling it would be easy to do. Just give the team that got fouled the option of keeping the ball with a clock reset instead of FTs. They haven't made that change, which suggests they are OK with the status quo.

I'd add that at a certain point (3 fouls in the last 90 secs for ex) award one shot and the ball, like they do for technicals.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 11/17/15 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

I believe if the foul is determined to be intentional then it's foul shot(s) and possession. If the foul occurred in an honest attempt to block the shot then it's 2 shots. There's also the option of calling a flagrant foul.

And it applies to everyone, not just Stewart.

I figured you knew that?

I know it would apply to all.

I'm pretty sure the officials can't determine intent much of the time.

How should the NFL prevent the deliberate taking of a safety? Award the opponent 9 pts and the ball on the perpetrator's 25?

PostPosted: 11/17/15 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
]

Quote:

I agree

Quote:
How should the NFL prevent the deliberate taking of a safety? Award the opponent 9 pts and the ball on the perpetrator's 25?

I said earlier that I have no problem with handing 2 points to the opponent in a football game. There is no rule against it. It's merely a strategy, not a rule violation. I can't think of an equivalent strategy in basketball except perhaps fouling and putting an opponent on the line for 2 shots when they are down 3 in the last seconds. But that is a tricky play in that the shooter could actually make the three while being fouled or else could miss the second foul shot and go for a rebound and putback. Most coaches don't try it.

But like I said, I would be in favor of eliminating foul shooting altogether and simply award a point and possession after a certain number of fouls.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 11/18/15 3:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
linkster wrote:

I would also speculate that the NCAA was prodded by the TV networks to do something to shorten the games. Endless intentional fouls can turn the last 4 minutes of a game into a half hour of endless trips to the line and screw up TV schedules. I'm sick of watching coaches continue to intentionally hack with 30 seconds left and a 10 point deficit.

Quote:
So shooting 2 FTs and missing the first one takes less time than missing the first part of a 1 and 1 and not getting a 2nd shot?

Yes if you believe that it would lead to less fouling.

Quote:
FT shooting is a very fundamental part of the game (It's called a "Free" throw for a reason).

Yes, and school figures were an integral part of ice skating.

Quote:
You suggest that forcing 2 FTs would force coaches to not want to foul. I say "bull." If the player being fouled is a bad FT shooter, they'll foul them anyway.

So keeping the one and one would be no different than getting rid of it? If a player is a 50% ft shooter, in 4 one and one situations they hit 2 first shots and one second shot for 3 points. Under a 2 shot format they score 4 points.

Quote:
The funny thing is that I think your opinion likely comes from that triple OT ND-UConn game from a few years ago, when UConn missed the front end of 1 and 1s 3 times. However, I'd bet that there were times when ND missed some front ends earlier in games when it might not have been as memorable, but might have actually mattered almost as much.

LOL I think it's cute that an Irish fan thinks that it's all about them. If anyone would benefit from more ft's it would be the Irish. Doesn't MM hold a flop and flip clinic every year to teach how not only to fake charges but also how to jump into a defender and throw the ball vertically at the same time?
Rolling Eyes

Basically, it comes down to this: be able to hit your FTs.

I do agree with you, though on teams fouling when down by a lot, but that doesn't discount the value in teams doing so when they are down in a close game. I think your opinion is colored a lot by the fact that your team has been top dog for quite a while (and usually wins by large margins). If your team had had more close games (especially close losses) and needed to come back from close deficits, I think your opinion would very likely be very different.

I wish it was my team but I doubt they would win nearly as many games. Very Happy

Okay, the way you responded makes it kind of hard to respond in kind due to replying in the "quote" zone. I'll try to make this easier...

Quote:
[i]So shooting 2 FTs and missing the first one takes less time than missing the first part of a 1 and 1 and not getting a 2nd shot?

Yes if you believe that it would lead to less fouling.[/i]

My point is that it won't. If you have a poor FT shooter, you'll foul them anyway. If they're a great FT shooter, then they'll make 2 FTs anyway.

LOL I think it's cute that an Irish fan thinks that it's all about them. If anyone would benefit from more ft's it would be the Irish.

Yes, which suggests that a ND fan arguing against this should make you think about it more.

IMO, you should lose the whole "flop" thing. It shows poorly on UConn fans. "Oh, they only beat us because they flop!" is the typical argument of a poor loser. No, good play and hitting shots have nothing to do with their winning. It's just because of the "flopping!"

BTW, you are aware that back when the ND player you most identified with "flopping" (Novosel) was playing, Geno actually compared her to Ralph when it came to drawing fouls? Was Ralph a "flopper" too? Wink

BallState1984

PostPosted: 11/18/15 7:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought the shot clock and alternating possession rules were bad, but removing the one and one is absolutely asinine. If it ain't broke........

PostPosted: 11/18/15 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The "intentional" foul rule is a tricky one ...

Obviously, the refs, players and fans know when an intentional foul is coming, and when a player just reaches out and taps an opponent to make it happen, it seems pretty stupid.

But on the other hand, if you make the players actually foul, then they have to hammer opponents because you never know what the ref will call. I've seen it happen where the ref doesn't make a call, so the fouler hits the other player harder; the whistle still doesn't blow, so the fouler levels her.

And really, "intent" is tough to define. I think very often the instruction to the player is "Go for the steal and if you're called for the foul, OK." In other words, the intent is to get the ball, but the risk/reward equation changes to taking a bigger risk in late-game situations.

But that too leads to conceivably violent contact, injuries and especially in the men's game, the potential for fighting.

From a coaching standpoint, I much prefer the situation where I can get a foul call with just a touch in an obvious fouling situation. It's safer for the players, and easier for the refs to manage.

PostPosted: 11/18/15 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
]

Quote:

I agree

Quote:

I said earlier that I have no problem with handing 2 points to the opponent in a football game. There is no rule against it. It's merely a strategy, not a rule violation. I can't think of an equivalent strategy in basketball except perhaps fouling and putting an opponent on the line for 2 shots when they are down 3 in the last seconds. But that is a tricky play in that the shooter could actually make the three while being fouled or else could miss the second foul shot and go for a rebound and putback. Most coaches don't try it.

But like I said, I would be in favor of eliminating foul shooting altogether and simply award a point and possession after a certain number of fouls.

Shocked

I guess we're speaking different languages.

PostPosted: 11/18/15 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ClayK wrote:

The new rule is that a team cannot call a timeout after they make a basket. That will save a lot of timeouts called to set up the defense.

I guess I was wrong about that new rule. Tonight Duke called a timeout right after making a basket while trailing in OT. I'll have to go find an article on the new rules. I was pretty sure it said thar wasn't going to be allowed.

But the end of the Duke - TAMU game is a good example of too much time spent at the freethrow line. Duke even fouled down 5 with 2.6 seconds left in OT.

pilight

PostPosted: 11/18/15 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
linkster wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I guess I was wrong about that new rule. Tonight Duke called a timeout right after making a basket while trailing in OT. I'll have to go find an article on the new rules. I was pretty sure it said thar wasn't going to be allowed.

But the end of the Duke - TAMU game is a good example of too much time spent at the freethrow line. Duke even fouled down 5 with 2.6 seconds left in OT.

Here are all the rule changes for this season:

2015-16
Games shall consist of four 10-minute periods instead of two 20-minute halves. The intermission between the first and second and the third and fourth periods shall be 75 seconds in a non-media game or 75 seconds or the length of the electronic-media timeout in a media game. The halftime intermission is 15 minutes and extra periods shall be five minutes each in length with a one minute intermission before each.

In games using electronic media timeouts, there must be one electronic media timeout in each period that occurs at the first team-called timeout above the 5-minute mark of each quarter or the first dead ball at or below the 5-minute mark. The intermission between quarters may be used as an electronic-media timeout. The first team-called timeout in the second half will become an electronic-media timeout. Each team is entitled to four team-called timeouts (three 30-second timeouts and one 60-second timeout). No more than three timeouts carry over to the second half.

In games not using electronic-media timeouts, each team receives three 30-second timeouts and two 60-second timeouts. Four timeouts will carry over to the second half.

The time limit to replace a disqualified player is reduced from 20 to 15 seconds.

Allow musical instruments and/or amplified music to be played during any dead ball.

When a timeout is charged to the offensive team during the last 59.9 seconds of the fourth period and/or any extra period, the team has the option to advance the throw-in spot to the 28-foot mark in the frontcourt on the same side of the court as the scorers table.

A team is awarded two free throws for each common foul beginning with the fifth team foul in a period.

The 10-second count shall reset on all stoppages of the game clock except when the defense causes the ball to be out of bounds, the offense retains possession after a held ball, or there is a technical foul assessed to the offensive team.

When an offensive post player with her back to the basket in the lane area is in control of the ball, a post defender may only place one forearm or one hand with a bend in the elbow on the offensive player.

Several changes were made to the uniform rule: an institutional logo, in addition to the institutions name or mascot, is permitted in the neutral zone; an institutional logo and a conference logo may both appear on the front shoulder panel of the game jersey; institutional names, nicknames, mascots and logos are permitted on the game shorts; one institutional logo or mascot may appear on undergarments that extend below the game shorts and on an arm sleeve, knee sleeve or leg sleeve.

Permit institutional or conference social media decals on the top edge of the backboard frame. For postseason play only, an American flag and one conference or NCAA logo is permitted in the lower corners on the front of the backboard, provided they do not exceed 5 by 8 inches.

It was recommended to provide, where possible, a 3-foot-wide lane on both sides of the basket stanchion to allow more room for players falling or running out of bounds to regain their balance.

PostPosted: 11/18/15 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
linkster wrote:
linkster wrote:
ClayK wrote:

2015-16
Games shall consist of four 10-minute periods instead of two 20-minute halves. The intermission between the first and second and the third and fourth periods shall be 75 seconds in a non-media game or 75 seconds or the length of the electronic-media timeout in a media game. The halftime intermission is 15 minutes and extra periods shall be five minutes each in length with a one minute intermission before each.

In games using electronic media timeouts, there must be one electronic media timeout in each period that occurs at the first team-called timeout above the 5-minute mark of each quarter or the first dead ball at or below the 5-minute mark. The intermission between quarters may be used as an electronic-media timeout. The first team-called timeout in the second half will become an electronic-media timeout. Each team is entitled to four team-called timeouts (three 30-second timeouts and one 60-second timeout). No more than three timeouts carry over to the second half.

In games not using electronic-media timeouts, each team receives three 30-second timeouts and two 60-second timeouts. Four timeouts will carry over to the second half.

The time limit to replace a disqualified player is reduced from 20 to 15 seconds.

Allow musical instruments and/or amplified music to be played during any dead ball.

When a timeout is charged to the offensive team during the last 59.9 seconds of the fourth period and/or any extra period, the team has the option to advance the throw-in spot to the 28-foot mark in the frontcourt on the same side of the court as the scorers table.

A team is awarded two free throws for each common foul beginning with the fifth team foul in a period.

The 10-second count shall reset on all stoppages of the game clock except when the defense causes the ball to be out of bounds, the offense retains possession after a held ball, or there is a technical foul assessed to the offensive team.

When an offensive post player with her back to the basket in the lane area is in control of the ball, a post defender may only place one forearm or one hand with a bend in the elbow on the offensive player.

Several changes were made to the uniform rule: an institutional logo, in addition to the institutions name or mascot, is permitted in the neutral zone; an institutional logo and a conference logo may both appear on the front shoulder panel of the game jersey; institutional names, nicknames, mascots and logos are permitted on the game shorts; one institutional logo or mascot may appear on undergarments that extend below the game shorts and on an arm sleeve, knee sleeve or leg sleeve.

Permit institutional or conference social media decals on the top edge of the backboard frame. For postseason play only, an American flag and one conference or NCAA logo is permitted in the lower corners on the front of the backboard, provided they do not exceed 5 by 8 inches.

It was recommended to provide, where possible, a 3-foot-wide lane on both sides of the basket stanchion to allow more room for players falling or running out of bounds to regain their balance.

All of those rule changes and not one of them improved the game. Sad.

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/19/15 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
pilight wrote:
linkster wrote:
linkster wrote:
ClayK wrote:

2015-16

So what rule changes would improve the game?

PostPosted: 11/19/15 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
pilight wrote:
linkster wrote:
linkster wrote:
ClayK wrote:

2015-16

So what rule changes would improve the game?

It wasn't broke. Don't try to fix it.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 11/19/15 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Are there any games that don't have media timeouts anymore?

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 11/19/15 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought that every game had the same timeouts including media time outs even if there is no media Wink

JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 11/19/15 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If they REALLY want more competitive games, they need to eliminate the full court press. Seems the most athletic teams abuse it and blow teams out in a matter of minutes. The lower to mid level women teams are not as good at beating the press as men are.

I know it would be tricky and controversial, but I do believe it would lead to better games.

PostPosted: 11/20/15 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JACKOWACKO wrote:
If they REALLY want more competitive games, they need to eliminate the full court press. Seems the most athletic teams abuse it and blow teams out in a matter of minutes. The lower to mid level women teams are not as good at beating the press as men are.

I know it would be tricky and controversial, but I do believe it would lead to better games.

Ooohhhh. Good idear. And how about eliminating players over 6-2. That would make more competitive games. Seems some teams have 3-4 or more players that are very tall. The mid level team usually don't have many, if any.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: