RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

AP Poll out
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 12/15/15 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:

How in the world did Tennessee move up two spaces? That just boggles my mind. I feel like DePaul should have moved up one or two more spots.

TIMBERRRRRR!

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 12/21/15 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings/_/poll/1/week/7/seasontype/2

UConn still unanimous

Kentucky up to #7

Stanford up to #12

Oregon State down to #11

Missouri in, St John's out

PostPosted: 12/21/15 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, more and more SEC teams keep finding their way into the polls every week. UGA is right on the front porch now, leering through the windows: it's only a matter of time for them. What is going on?

Durantula

PostPosted: 12/21/15 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
Wow, more and more SEC teams keep finding their way into the polls every week. UGA is right on the front porch now, leering through the windows: it's only a matter of time for them. What is going on?

Missouri has more talent than usual, and they have been healthy. Have to think long term, the money and exposure that comes via SEC Network will help some of the SEC teams that aren't traditionally very good recruit a little better.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/21/15 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

Missouri has more talent than usual, and they have been healthy. Have to think long term, the money and exposure that comes via SEC Network will help some of the SEC teams that aren't traditionally very good recruit a little better.

Missouri has played a terrible schedule.

Durantula

PostPosted: 12/21/15 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Durantula wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

Missouri has played a terrible schedule.

I think in years past they would have lost to some mid majors, helps to have a top freshman like Sophie Cunningham, their first McDonald's All American. Not saying they are some great team but I think they are better than last year. They had a lot of injuries last year too, so at least now they have some depth.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/21/15 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:

UGA's healthy, and working hard for their new coach. They have Shacobia Barbee back (she blew out her knee or something last year) and still have Marjorie Butler, who for my money is as smart a point guard as any. They have some new talent too. I think they'll be a team to reckon with. They looked pretty decent the one game I saw.

PostPosted: 12/28/15 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings/_/poll/1/week/8/seasontype/2

UConn still unanimous

Oregon State up to #10

Arizona State up to #17

DePaul down to #25

Same 25 teams as last week

PostPosted: 01/04/16 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings/_/poll/1/week/9/seasontype/2

UConn still unanimous

Texas up to #4

UCLA up to #15

Duke down to #18

Miami (FL) out, Seton Hall in

PostPosted: 01/11/16 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New poll out. http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-women/d1

Top 8 are unchanged.

Ky up to 9, ASU big jump up to 10.

Can't figure out:

- Why Duke is still ranked 22 and in front of Louisville

- Why Stanford only dropped 2 spots to 11 after their 31 pt performance against AZ

- Why Purdue isn't ranked and got fewer votes than Northwestern

- Why Missouri is still ranked after having been thoroughly exposed as a pretender

- Looks to me like Tenn is getting a lot of "name recognition" credit

Based on my own eye test, I think if I was a voter I might well be voting Texas as #2 right now. I've been very impressed. There's still plenty of time for them to prove me right or to disappoint me, of course.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 01/11/16 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
colt13

PostPosted: 01/11/16 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Top 8 are unchanged.

Can't figure out:

- Why Stanford only dropped 2 spots to 11 after their 31 pt performance against AZ

Based on my own eye test, I think if I was a voter I might well be voting Texas as #2 right now. I've been very impressed. There's still plenty of time for them to prove me right or to disappoint me, of course.

I agree with you on Duke. I have also not been impressed with Florida State and think they aren't Top 25 material.

Wanted to see Duquesne and South Dakota State in there.

Matt5762

PostPosted: 01/11/16 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Florida back in the poll for the first time since '08-'09 Cool

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 01/11/16 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Top 8 are unchanged.

Can't figure out:

- Why Missouri is still ranked after having been thoroughly exposed as a pretender

I also cannot figure out the reasoning behind those rankings, Art. Puzzling.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/11/16 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clearly the media members don't do their homework either. Wow.

The whole Northwestern vs Purdue thing is interesting and clearly shows how preseason polls/expectations play a much bigger role than they should in how the actual season is/has played out.

Northwestern - 12-4, 1-3...only top 100 wins are over #99 Western Michigan and #91 North Carolina. In fact, other than DePaul, those are the only top 100 teams they played in the non-conference. No wonder they had such a gaudy record. Rolling Eyes ...they are currently #81 in the RPI and now have a bad loss at #158 Penn State.

Purdue - 13-2, 4-0...7 Top 100 wins over #29 Louisville, #17 Dayton, #59 Ball State, #96 Maine, #65 Michigan, #81 Northwestern and #71 Indiana. They are currently #19 in the RPI...oh, and there's that head to head beating of Northwestern on the road.

There isn't a single category that favors Northwestern over Purdue with the huge exception of preseason polls/expectations. The Boilers have outplayed the Wildcats in every single way so far this season.

Last edited by purduefanatic on 01/11/16 5:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
Shades

PostPosted: 01/11/16 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess when your first 2 losses are to Tennessee and South Carolina, you're "thoroughly exposed as a pretender". Careful Art.... doesn't ND have a game coming up against Tennessee? Don't want to be exposed.

I dunno.... I'm not seeing that much to complain about other than nick picky stuff. I'm not sure about USC at #25. Purdue is probably more deserving. Duke is only 5 points ahead of Louisville... not enough to cry about. It's an inexact science with about 40 people voting. It's still hard for me to stomach Louisville on the poll with the brutal start they had. If anybody was exposed it was them. Miami benefitted from so many other teams dropping.

StraightFrom40216

PostPosted: 01/11/16 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm a Louisville season ticket holder. This is not the same Louisville team that started 1-4. Most important, that team did not have a healthy Asia Durr. She's still not 100% but she's getting better every game. That team hit a low point with an uninspired, no-defense game against Kentucky. Walz got their attention somehow and defense is 100% better. Myisha Hines-Allen is bringing it every night, unlike early season. This is not a Final Four team but they will make some noise in March.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/11/16 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tenn has 2 home losses to unranked teams. The last one, to Florida, cost them one position in the rankings. It seemed inbelievable but then I looked at the teams behind them and couldn't find one who deserved to move ahead of them. It's not so much a compliment to the LV's as it is a sad commentary on the lack of quality teams in wcbb.

But compare #13 Tenn to #23 Louisville. Tenn, at 11-4, has gone 5-3 in their last 8, with good wins over OSU & Missouri, a loss to Stanford and 2 bad losses to unranked VT & Fla. Louisville has gone 8-0 with good wins over Duke and FSU. If the NCAA's started today which team would you rather face?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/11/16 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I guess when your first 2 losses are to Tennessee and South Carolina, you're "thoroughly exposed as a pretender". Careful Art.... doesn't ND have a game coming up against Tennessee? Don't want to be exposed. .

Yeah right. Evidently you didn't watch either game or you wouldn't make such a comment. Unless of course it wasn't a serious comment, which is certainly possible.

They were thoroughly exposed as not being a top 25 caliber team. And they have nothing else other than a gaudy record against bad competition.

I pay attention to more than simply the w-l column.

GEF34

PostPosted: 01/11/16 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Top 8 are unchanged.

Can't figure out:

I'm not sure where you think Stanford should be ranked, I don't think Oregon State should have moved ahead of Stanford, and you say Tennessee is getting "name recognition" credit, so it sounds like you don't think Tennessee should be ahead of them either. Arizona State the team that beat Stanford was rightfully moved ahead of Stanford, but other than that what teams should be moved ahead of Stanford. Keeping in mind 2 things this week Stanford lost to Arizona State and beat Utah and Colorado, and 3 of the next 4 teams all lost to teams ranked lower than them. BTW I assume you made a typo as the 31 points was in a lost to #14 Arizona State, they beat Arizona 59-34 in a game that counted toward the previous week's record.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/11/16 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:

I'm not sure where you think Stanford should be ranked, I don't think Oregon State should have moved ahead of Stanford, and you say Tennessee is getting "name recognition" credit, so it sounds like you don't think Tennessee should be ahead of them either. Arizona State the team that beat Stanford was rightfully moved ahead of Stanford, but other than that what teams should be moved ahead of Stanford. Keeping in mind 2 things this week Stanford lost to Arizona State and beat Utah and Colorado, and 3 of the next 4 teams all lost to teams ranked lower than them. BTW I assume you made a typo as the 31 points was in a lost to #14 Arizona State, they beat Arizona 59-34 in a game that counted toward the previous week's record.

You're correct it was ASU, not AZ, and that game is part of this week's AP poll.

They didn't score 10 pts in any quarter. It was not a top 11 performance. Not even close. I watch games and pay attention to more than the W-L column. Unfortunately too many voters don't.

Seriously, other than beating Tenn, who have they beaten to deserve that ranking? I'd say Purdue, but the pollsters evidently don't value Purdue much. And of course there's the Santa Clara loss.

GEF34

PostPosted: 01/16/16 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

You're correct it was ASU, not AZ, and that game is part of this week's AP poll.

They didn't score 10 pts in any quarter. It was not a top 11 performance. Not even close. I watch games and pay attention to more than the W-L column. Unfortunately too many voters don't.

Seriously, other than beating Tenn, who have they beaten to deserve that ranking? I'd say Purdue, but the pollsters evidently don't value Purdue much. And of course there's the Santa Clara loss.

I'm not talking about whether or not they should be ranked 11th or lower, I'm going based on the statement you made of "Can't figure out: - Why Stanford only dropped 2 spots to 11 after their 31 pt performance against AZ". Going based on how the poll has worked in the past it's not a surprise to me the only dropped 2 spots after losing to Arizona State. Now that is different than saying "should they have been ranked #9 going into the week".

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/16/16 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

I'm not talking about whether or not they should be ranked 11th or lower, I'm going based on the statement you made of "Can't figure out: - Why Stanford only dropped 2 spots to 11 after their 31 pt performance against AZ". Going based on how the poll has worked in the past it's not a surprise to me the only dropped 2 spots after losing to Arizona State. Now that is different than saying "should they have been ranked #9 going into the week".

Could see hm dropping two spots after a routine loss. Seems about right assuming no voters actually bothered to watch the game.

If anyone had seen the game, then I think they should have dropped much farther. They deserved a bigger drop after that performance.

GEF34

PostPosted: 01/17/16 1:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

Could see hm dropping two spots after a routine loss. Seems about right assuming no voters actually bothered to watch the game.

If anyone had seen the game, then I think they should have dropped much farther. They deserved a bigger drop after that performance.

To me it's not a surprise they only dropped 2 spots because most voters don't watch the actual games, they look at scores and sometimes just wins and losses.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/18/16 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Predicting the Top 25
SpaceJunkie and I used to do this last year.
Again, this is prediction based on last week's list
with adjustment's based on last week's wins or losses.
It is not my personal list of Top 25, so save the daggers.

1. CON
2. SC
3. ND
4. BAY
5. TEX
6. MAR (thought about putting them at 5)
7. OH ST
8. KEN
9. ASU
10. ORE ST
11. MISS ST
12. STAN
13. TAMU
14. FSU
15. TEN
16. USF
17. UCLA
18. LOU
19. OKLA
20. MIA
21. MICH ST
22. FLO
23. MIZZ
24. NW
25. DEP

pilight

PostPosted: 01/18/16 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings/_/poll/1/week/11/seasontype/2

UConn still unanimous

Baylor up to #4

Louisville up to #17

Oklahoma down to #19

DePaul and West Virginia in
Duke and USC out

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: