RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

AP Poll out
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 12/07/15 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings/_/poll/1/week/5/seasontype/2

UConn still unanimous

Texas up to #5

DePaul up to #18

Tennessee down to #16

Iowa in, Seton Hall out

PostPosted: 12/07/15 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At this point, I wonder what the justification is for Tennessee to be ranked. I can't come up with one.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/07/15 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
At this point, I wonder what the justification is for Tennessee to be ranked. I can't come up with one.

They took a hit of 8 spots. I don't recall a bigger one than that. They've only lost two games.

I guess only losing by 16 to UConn puts a rocket ship on your position. DePaul up 5 spots.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Phil

PostPosted: 12/07/15 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Inertia

terpsforever

PostPosted: 12/07/15 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MD and Baylor should be ashamed by their non conference schedule. 4 and 5 and haven't played anyone.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 12/07/15 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

terpsforever wrote:
MD and Baylor should be ashamed by their non conference schedule. 4 and 5 and haven't played anyone.

Not quite true, but I agree with your general sentiment. Your Terps have played South Dakota St. who is pretty good, and also Syracuse, who is presently ranked. Plus you have an OOC game against UConn in late December. That's not too bad, although it does not compare too favorably to other top 5 teams. Baylor has a pretty poor OOC schedule, but have at least played USF (presently unranked), Michigan St. (presently ranked) and DePaul (presently ranked). They won't have a true road game until conference play begins, although they did play in a tournament in the Bahamas.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 12/08/15 8:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

Not quite true, but I agree with your general sentiment. Your Terps have played South Dakota St. who is pretty good, and also Syracuse, who is presently ranked. Plus you have an OOC game against UConn in late December. That's not too bad, although it does not compare too favorably to other top 5 teams. Baylor has a pretty poor OOC schedule, but have at least played USF (presently unranked), Michigan St. (presently ranked) and DePaul (presently ranked). They won't have a true road game until conference play begins, although they did play in a tournament in the Bahamas.

As a MD STH, I find Brenda's OOC schedules to be dreadfully uninteresting, as a general rule. Yet, her team ran the table last season in conference play and made it to the FF two years in a row. If she believes a less demanding OOC schedule is the best way to prepare her team, who am I to argue? I know it's 180 degrees different than what several other top-ranked teams do, but in the end, it's all about how you finish. If the Terps fail to produce this season, maybe we'll see more meat and fewer carbs in next season's OOC schedule.

That being said, I don't believe the Terps have done anything yet to justify the high ranking. That's why I don't pay much attention to polls this time of year. They're too subjective; essentially meaningless.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/08/15 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
in the end, it's all about how you finish.

Maybe that's all it's about. But in a sport struggling for respect and attention, maybe there are other responsibilities as well. Maybe there is some responsibility to produce compelling matchups.

Not sure.

Phil

PostPosted: 12/08/15 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ripleydc wrote:
in the end, it's all about how you finish.

Maybe that's all it's about. But in a sport struggling for respect and attention, maybe there are other responsibilities as well. Maybe there is some responsibility to produce compelling matchups.

Not sure.

I agree.

PRballer

PostPosted: 12/08/15 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Totally agree. Brenda and Kim, as stewards of two of the better WCBB programs we have right now, should be doing a lot more to raise the profile of the sport.

Schedule good games, ladies!

The game continues to miss Pat Summitt.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 12/08/15 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Totally agree. Brenda and Kim, as stewards of two of the better WCBB programs we have right now, should be doing a lot more to raise the profile of the sport.

Schedule good games, ladies!.

Disagree. Brenda and Kim as stewards of their programs have one overriding responsibility -- to achieve the most success for their players and their schools. How they do that is up to them. Different coaches approach scheduling, training and in-game matters in various ways. Granted, their OOC schedules are hardly the most exciting, but if one or both of their teams does well in March and April, then they will certainly have done plenty to raise the profile of WCBB.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/08/15 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
PRballer wrote:

Schedule good games, ladies!.

Disagree. Brenda and Kim as stewards of their programs have one overriding responsibility -- to achieve the most success for their players and their schools. How they do that is up to them. Different coaches approach scheduling, training and in-game matters in various ways. Granted, their OOC schedules are hardly the most exciting, but if one or both of their teams does well in March and April, then they will certainly have done plenty to raise the profile of WCBB.

As I said, I'm not sure of the right answer here, but I am pretty confident that they have a broader responsibility to the game on which they make their very attractive living than just winning games.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 12/08/15 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest wrote:
23As I said, I'm not sure of the right answer here, but I am pretty confident that they have a broader responsibility to the game on which they make their very attractive living than just winning games.

I accept your premise that coaches do have a broader responsibility, but I believe that showcasing the best basketball they can, achieves that If some coaches think easing their teams into tougher competition is they way they believe they can get the max from their players, then I think that's good for the game.

March and April is when the largest audiences are watching WCBB, and if a coach puts their best product on the floor then, well I think they've fulfilled that larger purpose.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/08/15 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
ArtBest wrote:
23As I said, I'm not sure of the right answer here, but I am pretty confident that they have a broader responsibility to the game on which they make their very attractive living than just winning games.

I accept your premise that coaches do have a broader responsibility, but I believe that showcasing the best basketball they can, achieves that If some coaches think easing their teams into tougher competition is they way they believe they can get the max from their players, then I think that's good for the game.

March and April is when the largest audiences are watching WCBB, and if a coach puts their best product on the floor then, well I think they've fulfilled that larger purpose.

People are already watching the tournaments. Perhaps "showcasing the best basketball they can" includes good competitive matchups in December, not just 10 meaningless preseason exhibitions.

terpsforever

PostPosted: 12/08/15 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Right now I would rank OHS above both because they have had the guts to play elite teams. South Dakota and Syracuse aren't elite teams or up and coming good programs like Texas or something. How can MD and Baylor be ranked above them--rewarded for playing cream puffs. I find it disappointing. It is good for women's basketball to see interesting non conference games. So I do feel like they owe it to the game a bit. TN, ND, Duke, USC, UCONn--they play good teams in the non conference--makes it fun to watch. I expect MD and Baylor with their talent, to do the same. Don't be wusses--play real competition--make it interesting for us.

Interesting also that both MD and Baylor have major turnover issues this yr. I understand why for MD (no Lexie) but don't understand Baylor's issues. They have an excellent PG.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/14/15 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-women/d1/associated-press

UConn still unanimous

Tennessee up to #14

Arizona State up to #21

Texas A&M down to #18

Miami (FL) and St John's in

Syracuse and Iowa out

PostPosted: 12/14/15 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

UConn still unanimous

Tennessee up to #14

Arizona State up to #21

Texas A&M down to #18

Syracuse and Iowa out

How in the world did Tennessee move up two spaces? That just boggles my mind. I feel like DePaul should have moved up one or two more spots.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/14/15 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
pilight wrote:

UConn still unanimous

Tennessee up to #14

Arizona State up to #21

Texas A&M down to #18

Syracuse and Iowa out

How in the world did Tennessee move up two spaces? That just boggles my mind. I feel like DePaul should have moved up one or two more spots.

TEN moves up because TAMU and STAN lost. I feel a little bad for STAN because usualy when you lose by a reasonable amount to a much higher ranked team (TEX), it doesn't end up hurting you.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 12/14/15 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
pilight wrote:

UConn still unanimous

Tennessee up to #14

Arizona State up to #21

Texas A&M down to #18

Syracuse and Iowa out

TEN moves up because TAMU and STAN lost. I feel a little bad for STAN because usualy when you lose by a reasonable amount to a much higher ranked team (TEX), it doesn't end up hurting you.

Stanford only moved down one spot, so not too bad. I definetly would not have put Tennessee ahead of Stanford though. If anything, I was saying DePaul should have moved ahead of both of them. So far, Tennessee has done nothing and Stanford has looked pretty shaky as well.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/14/15 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tenn is playing Stanford on Wed, so I guess we'll get a definitive answer on their relative rankings.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/15/15 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The voters are pretty solid on the top 6, with none of the six being voted lower than 7th by any voter. After that all hell breaks loose. #7 Ore State and #8 Ky both got votes as low as 15 (interesting that #9 Miss St's lowest vote is 14). And every team from #15 Stanford on down was left completely off at least one ballot.

The Southern Cal fans will be pleased to know that their team was named on 6 ballots with one voter putting them at #14.

http://collegebasketball.ap.org/Womens-Top-25-2016-6

IM in OC

PostPosted: 12/15/15 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
The voters are pretty solid on the top 6, with none of the six being voted lower than 7th by any voter. After that all hell breaks loose. #7 Ore State and #8 Ky both got votes as low as 15 (interesting that #9 Miss St's lowest vote is 14). And every team from #15 Stanford on down was left completely off at least one ballot.

The Southern Cal fans will be pleased to know that their team was named on 6 ballots with one voter putting them at #14.

This is the AP writers Poll. So Cal has been getting votes in this poll for awhile.

It's the USA Today-Coaches Poll(that comes out today) that they have not been getting votes.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/15/15 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

This is the AP writers Poll. So Cal has been getting votes in this poll for awhile.

It's the USA Today-Coaches Poll(that comes out today) that they have not been getting votes.

I understand that. Did you know how many voters included them or that they had a vote as high as #14? That was my point.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 12/15/15 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
IM in OC wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I understand that. Did you know how many voters included them or that they had a vote as high as #14? That was my point.

I knew they got 26 votes last week and 26 votes this week.
The breakdown I didnt notice.

I just cant figure out why one coach who votes, especially from out west, did not give them one vote.
We will see today what happens.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 12/15/15 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
IM in OC wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I knew they got 26 votes last week and 26 votes this week.
The breakdown I didnt notice.

I just cant figure out why one coach who votes, especially from out west, did not give them one vote.
We will see today what happens.

Looks like they got 5 votes. There is harmony in the WBB world.

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/basketball-women/polls/coaches-poll/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: