RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

B1G 2015-16
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 01/09/16 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Nebraska is giving up 83 ppg in Big 10 play? Are there some overtimes involved?

That's horrendous otherwise, especially from a team that was supposed to be decent, if not pretty good.

They lost four senior starters who all played more than 30 mpg and who doubled as their four best defenders. They've also drawn some pretty good offensive teams (Iowa, Northwestern, Maryland) for their first three opponents. But even factoring that in, yes, they're less than stellar...

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/14/16 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, who had Purdue undefeated in conference and all alone at the top of the Big Ten standings 2 weeks into January? Yeah, me either.

The game this weekend in Columbus suddenly becomes a huge one for Ohio State. They don't want to go 2 games behind in the standings.

lola528

PostPosted: 01/14/16 10:26 pm    ::: :: Reply Reply with quote

I believed we would be much better than the "experts" predicted, but even I didn't think we would be alone at the top of the B1G after 5 games. Boilers making me happy so far! Very Happy

ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/15/16 7:52 am    ::: Re: :: Reply Reply with quote

lola528 wrote:
I believed we would be much better than the "experts" predicted, but even I didn't think we would be alone at the top of the B1G after 5 games. Boilers making me happy so far! Very Happy

You have good reason to be happy. Why do you think Purdue is so much improved?

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/15/16 9:12 am    ::: Re: :: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
lola528 wrote:

You have good reason to be happy. Why do you think Purdue is so much improved?

There are a couple of reasons:

1. For the most part, the team has remained healthy. Bridget Perry is one of their best players and she missed most of last season. April Wilson was also playing hurt most of last year but is healthy this year. In addition, they brought in probably the best class of Versyp's era and they are all contributing.
2. Team chemistry is MUCH better than last year. To say it was a disaster would be an understatement. They have really come together as a unit.

Last year was an anomaly and it was basically a case of Murphy's Law...anything and everything that could go wrong basically did.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/15/16 9:31 am    ::: Re: :: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
ripleydc wrote:
Why do you think Purdue is so much improved?

1. For the most part, the team has remained healthy. Bridget Perry is one of their best players and she missed most of last season. April Wilson was also playing hurt most of last year but is healthy this year. In addition, they brought in probably the best class of Versyp's era and they are all contributing.
2. Team chemistry is MUCH better than last year. To say it was a disaster would be an understatement. They have really come together as a unit.

Last year was an anomaly and it was basically a case of Murphy's Law...anything and everything that could go wrong basically did.

Is the "team chemistry" in any way related to the departure of Whitney Bays?

The reason I ask, is that when she was at Maryland, I came to think of her as a somewhat negative influence. She certainly had the talent to be successful at UMd, but, to me, seemed lacking in that team-first mentality that makes a good teammate.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/15/16 1:10 pm    ::: Re: :: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
ripleydc wrote:
Why do you think Purdue is so much improved?

Is the "team chemistry" in any way related to the departure of Whitney Bays?

The reason I ask, is that when she was at Maryland, I came to think of her as a somewhat negative influence. She certainly had the talent to be successful at UMd, but, to me, seemed lacking in that team-first mentality that makes a good teammate.

There were multiple factors.

SocksTerp

PostPosted: 01/15/16 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
bucks4now wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
bucks4now wrote:
MSU state outrebounded OSU 49-31 and OSU was 2 for 21 from behind the arc and still put up 85 points.

33 ft attempts will help offset bad shooting.

Not to mention MSU got whistled for 30 fouls and had 4 people foul out.

On the radio post game interview McGuff said that shot selection was not the problem, they just weren't falling, so he told the guards to start attacking the basket and get to the line. That much is good coaching.

Come on. You know McGuff can't coach only can recruit and to do that has to hire parents. 😉

Wink

lola528

PostPosted: 01/15/16 10:16 pm    ::: :: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with purduefanatic. Purdue was playing hurt last year, which contributed to several of the losses, and some were close games. Morale got worse with each loss, and team chemistry, which was not great to begin with, suffered more and more as the season went on, until nobody wanted to do anything except have the season end so they could stop practicing, stop seeing each other, and get some sleep. After that hideous season ended, the returning players gathered themselves and started working on this season. They were lucky that this was a year for a European trip, and that helped them bond. Team chemistry flourished, and in the meantime, last season's injuries healed up pretty well (except for poor Torrie Thornton's knees, which will probably trouble her for the rest of her life), and everybody got very high about bringing Purdue back to where Purdue should be. We have a short bench, which will hurt us in some games, but so far, everyone is meeting expectations and some are exceeding. IF the Boilers can stay healthy and injury-free, it should be a great season! Of course, as Sheldon Cooper has said, "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas." Smile

ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/20/16 8:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's looking more and more likely that Saturday's Michigan State at Maryland could be postponed, or possibly played in a nearly empty arena. (The latter could be a good thing for MSU.)

First major snow storm to hit the DMV in last couple of years is forecast to move into the area late Friday and dump a foot or more of white stuff, and stick around until late Saturday night or early Sunday morning.

I hope the forecasts are wrong, because I really wanted to attend this game, and particularly see Aerial Powers in person.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/20/16 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
It's looking more and more likely that Saturday's Michigan State at Maryland could be postponed, or possibly played in a nearly empty arena. (The latter could be a good thing for MSU.)

First major snow storm to hit the DMV in last couple of years is forecast to move into the area late Friday and dump a foot or more of white stuff, and stick around until late Saturday night or early Sunday morning.

I hope the forecasts are wrong, because I really wanted to attend this game, and particularly see Aerial Powers in person.

18-24 inches and a blizzard warning.

Frankly I think it would be irresponsible to bring the MSU women into these conditions. They really need to reschedule

Damn. This is Chloe Pavlech bobbehead day too.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/20/16 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
[18-24 inches and a blizzard warning.

Frankly I think it would be irresponsible to bring the MSU women into these conditions. They really need to reschedule

I think Spartans could get in fine if they come Thursday. And, assuming they are on a charter, they probably will have no problem getting here Friday morning even. As for returning, probably Monday.

I'm more concerned whether the refs will make it. Rescheduling will be a headache for both teams.

As for the fans, most of us will have to watch from home, if they go ahead. Sad

b1207

PostPosted: 01/20/16 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If my Subaru can make it out of the garage I will be there. It sounds like the game is scheduled right in the middle though of the storm.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/20/16 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

b1207 wrote:
If my Subaru can make it out of the garage I will be there. It sounds like the game is scheduled right in the middle though of the storm.

Wave at the BTN camera! Could be your lucky day.

Great chance you'll get a bobble-head, catch a t-shirt, and maybe win the dance cam. Wink

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/20/16 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
[18-24 inches and a blizzard warning.

I think Spartans could get in fine if they come Thursday. And, assuming they are on a charter, they probably will have no problem getting here Friday morning even. As for returning, probably Monday.

I'm more concerned whether the refs will make it. Rescheduling will be a headache for both teams.

As for the fans, most of us will have to watch from home, if they go ahead. Sad

Yeah, but don't teams usually stay at like the Greenbelt Marriott? How are they going to get the 5 miles to the Xfinity Center in 24 inches of snow and 50 mph winds? There's nowhere close for a visiting team to stay.

Plus security, arena staff, broadcast crew, etc.

I think the likelihood of this game being played on Saturday is remote. Whether MSU can get to town is not the point if they and everyone else can't get to the arena on Saturday. And they probably won't get out of town until about next Wed.

This isn't Buffalo or Milwaukee. They don't deal well with double digit snow around here. They're saying the DC area hasn't seen a storm like this in 20 years or more.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/20/16 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You may be right. I'm just hoping they don't have to reschedule. About the only slim window I see on the Terps schedule is between Purdue and the big rematch in Columbus. But that could really hurt Maryland's chances against tOSU.

buckeyewoman

PostPosted: 01/20/16 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Buckeyes scheduled to play at Rutgers on Sunday. Team and referee travel to that game could also be an issue.

PostPosted: 01/21/16 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So Ripley, people were stuck on the Beltway in their cars overnight, and the entire road system came to a halt last night in the DC area, and that was with a whopping seven tenths of an inch of snow. You think they're going to play a game in two FEET of snow and blizzard conditions?

ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/21/16 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
So Ripley, people were stuck on the Beltway in their cars overnight, and the entire road system came to a halt last night in the DC area, and that was with a whopping seven tenths of an inch of snow. You think they're going to play a game in two FEET of snow and blizzard conditions?

Well, you won't catch me heading to College Park on Saturday!! I'm very experienced with snow, but I'm not stupid. I'm staying off the roads while the storm is raging.

However, the word at the moment is that the game is still on. Shocked

ripleydc

PostPosted: 01/21/16 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Postponed!

Just announced.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/21/16 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
Postponed!

Just announced.

Unless they were talking about the men, I think they just said on the news that they're moving the game to East Lansing.

EDIT. Never mind. It's the men's game on the road. Women's game is postponed with no makeup date yet set.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 02/02/16 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KBA made her walk-on's day today. Love this kind of coverage!

http://www.snappytv.com/tc/1332914

Halle started her career at Oakland and left right before the Beckie Francis stuff hit the news. She ended up at Michigan where her dad starred as a QB on the football team and where two brothers play FB now. Three kids from the same family on athletic scholarships at the same time is pretty darned cool.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: