RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

B1G 2015-16
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mzonefan

PostPosted: 10/29/15 9:32 am    ::: B1G 2015-16 Reply Reply with quote

Michigan's going to be young this season with just four upperclassmen, but the most anticipated newcomer, 6'5" Hallie Thome, has been impressive in early practices. She's being mentored by senior Madison Ristovski who she met in U-M camp many years ago.

https://michigandaily.com/section/womens-basketball/hallie-thome-has-found-her-home

dinkytown

PostPosted: 10/29/15 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HoopGurlz 2015 #3 recruit Jessica Shepard has been cleared to return for Nebraska. Could start in Huskers Sunday exhibition.

Freshman Rachel Blackburn is described by Yori as looking like Kelsey Griffin and is expected to be a starter also.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/women-s-basketball-jessica-shepard-cleared-to-return/article_50455646-7db9-11e5-bd32-6b5f64adc195.html

Durantula

PostPosted: 10/29/15 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New Look Hawkeyes have something to prove http://www.thegazette.com/subject/location/new-look-hawkeyes-have-something-to-prove-20151029

Disterhoft ready for expended role http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/disterhoft-ready-for-expended-role-20151029

New players in new roles for #23 Hawkeyes http://globegazette.com/sports/local_sports/new-players-in-new-roles-for-no-iowa/article_71e362e3-9cbd-53e7-9fe3-bc3a12570e7c.html

Durantula

PostPosted: 10/29/15 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Evolution of Northwestern Star Nia Coffey http://dailynorthwestern.com/2015/10/28/sports/womens-basketball-the-evolution-of-northwestern-star-nia-coffey/

Jankoska, Powers look to lead healthy women's basketball team http://statenews.com/article/2015/10/jankoska-powers-look-to-lead

Hawkeye women focused on who remains http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa/hawkcentral/2015/10/29/iowa-hawkeyes-womens-basketball-media-day-lisa-bluder/74456414/

mzonefan

PostPosted: 10/30/15 5:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan State is healthy and the increased roster is making things competitive:

http://statenews.com/article/2015/10/jankoska-powers-look-to-lead

calbearman76

PostPosted: 10/30/15 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A question for B!G fans. I was looking for the BIG preseason rankings and could find nothing more than the top 3, Coaches and Media. Is there a full list available anywhere?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/30/15 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
A question for B!G fans. I was looking for the BIG preseason rankings and could find nothing more than the top 3, Coaches and Media. Is there a full list available anywhere?

The conference only publishes the top three vote getters.

Durantula

PostPosted: 10/30/15 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan State's Breslin Center is getting a $50 MILLION upgrade. I thought it was already a pretty nice arena but guess they are going to take it to another level.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/2015/10/30/breslin-center-slated-undergo-50m-upgrade/74869170/

At the project's center is the construction of a 26,000-square-foot addition that will house the MSU Basketball Hall of History. Located on the southeast side of the Breslin Center, the hall will highlight team and individual accomplishments of the men's and women's basketball programs.

Below will be the Draymond Green Strength and Conditioning Center, as well as a locker room for former MSU student-athletes. Green, who plays for the Golden State Warriors, played at Michigan State through 2011. He recently donated $3.1 million to the basketball program, part of which will go toward the $20 million being provided by the athletic department.

The renovation will also include expanding and improving concession areas and concourses; improving bathroom facilities; upgrading passenger and freight elevators; and improving exterior entrances and parking lots.

Said women's coach Suzy Merchant, "First and foremost, I'd like to extend my appreciation for Coach Izzo's vision and plan for improvement for both programs. There's no question that the addition of some of these enhancements will have a direct impact on MSU basketball. It's exciting to know that the Hall of History will be the first thing that people will have the opportunity to experience, especially with all the success of both basketball teams. The addition of the weight room for our student-athletes, as well as the recruiting room that will overlook the concourse into Breslin, will give both programs the opportunity to continue to recruit the highest level of student-athlete.

"Recruiting is constantly changing, and it is important to stay connected with what is out there in terms of where we are and where we need to go as a program. I'm really excited about the future improvements to the Breslin Center as they will continue to help MSU basketball succeed at such a high level."
------------------------
Minnesota also broke ground on their new athletes village, with football facilities, a basketball practice facility, and new academic center. 320,000 square foot project that will be $160 million.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_29047617/umn-breaks-ground-athletes-village

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/31/15 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More Michigan State news:

St. Francis Graduate Akyah Taylor returns to the Spartans.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/college/msu/womens-basketball/2015/10/28/akyah-taylors-return-big-boost-msu-womens-basketball/74730208/

JUCO point guard ready to step into starting role:

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2015/10/28/michigan-state-spartans-womens-basketball/74777992/

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 10/31/15 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Michigan State's Breslin Center is getting a $50 MILLION upgrade. I thought it was already a pretty nice arena but guess they are going to take it to another level.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/2015/10/30/breslin-center-slated-undergo-50m-upgrade/74869170/

At the project's center is the construction of a 26,000-square-foot addition that will house the MSU Basketball Hall of History. Located on the southeast side of the Breslin Center, the hall will highlight team and individual accomplishments of the men's and women's basketball programs.

Below will be the Draymond Green Strength and Conditioning Center, as well as a locker room for former MSU student-athletes. Green, who plays for the Golden State Warriors, played at Michigan State through 2011. He recently donated $3.1 million to the basketball program, part of which will go toward the $20 million being provided by the athletic department.

The renovation will also include expanding and improving concession areas and concourses; improving bathroom facilities; upgrading passenger and freight elevators; and improving exterior entrances and parking lots.

Said women's coach Suzy Merchant, "First and foremost, I'd like to extend my appreciation for Coach Izzo's vision and plan for improvement for both programs. There's no question that the addition of some of these enhancements will have a direct impact on MSU basketball. It's exciting to know that the Hall of History will be the first thing that people will have the opportunity to experience, especially with all the success of both basketball teams. The addition of the weight room for our student-athletes, as well as the recruiting room that will overlook the concourse into Breslin, will give both programs the opportunity to continue to recruit the highest level of student-athlete.

"Recruiting is constantly changing, and it is important to stay connected with what is out there in terms of where we are and where we need to go as a program. I'm really excited about the future improvements to the Breslin Center as they will continue to help MSU basketball succeed at such a high level."
------------------------
Minnesota also broke ground on their new athletes village, with football facilities, a basketball practice facility, and new academic center. 320,000 square foot project that will be $160 million.

You always want to be in a position of making others chase you instead of you having to catch up to them. Purdue finally stepped it up with the beautiful addition & renovation to Mackey Arena a couple years ago. The facilities around the Big Ten are simply ridiculous.

Durantula

PostPosted: 10/31/15 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Durantula wrote:

------------------------

You always want to be in a position of making others chase you instead of you having to catch up to them. Purdue finally stepped it up with the beautiful addition & renovation to Mackey Arena a couple years ago. The facilities around the Big Ten are simply ridiculous.

So I take it that even the older arenas in the Big Ten are renovated and more modern? I was thinking of Illinois and Indiana that have older arenas but I wouldn't be surprised if they've modernized the concourses and other areas, things that you may not see on TV. Rutgers is probably behind on facilities since they are new to the conference but I'm sure they'll upgrade soon just as Nebraska did.

bucks4now

PostPosted: 10/31/15 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Indiana announce last year major upgrades that will start soon if they haven't yet.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 10/31/15 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Indiana just built Cook Hall a couple of years ago, a practice facility as well as a history of Indiana basketball.

http://www.iuhoosiers.com/sports/2015/4/1/GEN_2014010126.aspx#cook

Here are some pics as it was being built:

http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/2010/02/cook-hall-in-pictures/

Durantula

PostPosted: 11/01/15 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So Jessica Shepard is as good as advertised for Nebraska. Missed all of her senior year with injury, and missed most of the pre-season for Nebraska, but she already has 17 points and 6 rebounds at halftime of Nebraska's first scrimmage. Yori has been praising fellow freshman post Rachel Blackburn, so those two could anchor NU's frontline for the next four years.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/02/15 7:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:

So I take it that even the older arenas in the Big Ten are renovated and more modern? I was thinking of Illinois and Indiana that have older arenas but I wouldn't be surprised if they've modernized the concourses and other areas, things that you may not see on TV. Rutgers is probably behind on facilities since they are new to the conference but I'm sure they'll upgrade soon just as Nebraska did.

Michigan's Crisler Arena, built in the mid-60s, has been greatly upgraded and expanded from 2011 to 2013. The nice thing about it is they basically built a shell around the existing arena to make much larger concourse areas instead of tearing anything down. The addition of offices, practice courts, etc. was part of the project.

From 2013:
"The most recent renovations were divided into a $20 million Phase I, which primarily covered infrastructure improvements and started in May 2010, and a $52 million Phase II, which started in March 2011 and was completed last month. In total, the renovations added 63,000 square feet to Crisler Arena, including an expanded concourse and additional entrances, restrooms, concessions, retail areas, ticketing areas and private club space. The project also included the construction of the 57,000-square-foot William Davidson Player Development Center adjacent to the arena, which includes practice courts, team locker rooms, coaching offices, equipment rooms and athletic medicine areas."

Shades

PostPosted: 11/07/15 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big 10 preseason AP rankings
6. Ohio St
9. Maryland
19. Northwestern
24. Michigan St

Receiving votes
Rutgers
Iowa

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
calbearman76

PostPosted: 11/08/15 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
So Jessica Shepard is as good as advertised for Nebraska. Missed all of her senior year with injury, and missed most of the pre-season for Nebraska, but she already has 17 points and 6 rebounds at halftime of Nebraska's first scrimmage. Yori has been praising fellow freshman post Rachel Blackburn, so those two could anchor NU's frontline for the next four years.

Shepard wound up with 29 points and 12 rebounds in that contest, but she outdid herself today. She scored 18 in the first quarter en route to a 42 point performance with 12 rebounds. I know that Nebraska Kearney and Winona St. aren't top quality but Shepard's productivity has to make Nebraska a strong contender for third in the B1G this season.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/10/15 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESPN's Graham Hayes predicts and previews the B1G:

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14066536/ohio-state-buckeyes-preseason-pick-big-ten

1. Ohio State
2. Maryland
3. Northwestern
4. Rutgers
5. Michigan State
6. Nebraska
7. Minnesota
8. Michigan
9. Iowa
10. Penn State
11. Wisconsin
12. Indiana
13. Illinois
14. Purdue

bucks4now

PostPosted: 11/10/15 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm surprised that Ohio State is ahead of Maryland. Until OSU beats them, I don't think we should be ahead of them

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 11/10/15 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Nebraska will surprise this season, they have a formidable duo in Theriot-Shephard, and I think they could easily get as high as second.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/10/15 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
I think Nebraska will surprise this season, they have a formidable duo in Theriot-Shephard, and I think they could easily get as high as second.

I like Nebraska. Looking forward to seeing Theriot back.
I also think the likelihood of them finishing ahead of OhSt or Maryland is pretty remote.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/10/15 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:

I like Nebraska. Looking forward to seeing Theriot back.
I also think the likelihood of them finishing ahead of OhSt or Maryland is pretty remote.

agree. and while Shepherd looks like the real deal [at least we know she can put it in the basket] realistically it is unlikely she will dominate in the Big Ten the way she did against two poodunk schools in preseason - at least not immediately. Plus she will actually have to guard somebody and we don't know if she can do that yet.

- Amanda Gorman
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 11/10/15 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LOL at this list. He really doesn't know what he is talking about almost anywhere on this ranking.

bacabuck

PostPosted: 11/10/15 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
LOL at this list. He really doesn't know what he is talking about almost anywhere on this ranking.

I kind of like it.

Do you have a list?

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/10/15 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mine isn't much different either. Something like this:

1. Ohio State
2. Maryland
the next five could come in about any order:
3. Michigan State
4. Rutgers
5. Northwestern
6. Nebraska
7. Minnesota
after which it's a crap shoot - but I would agree with fanatic that Purdue is unlikely to be the bottom.
8. Michigan
9. Wisconsin
10. Iowa
11. Purdue
12. Penn State
13. Illinois
14. Indiana

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: