RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

jeopardy!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/17/21 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't believe the furor over this decision. Richards must have had to answer to someone before choosing himself (if he in fact did so), and even if he didn't, who cares? He was the best host of all the ones that have been tried this year. And how can they claim Bialik "isn't hosting anything at all"? Between the HS, college, and champions tournaments, that's 5 weeks of games. Way to be dismissive of her job. NPR needs to find something better to rant about.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/19/21 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I And how can they claim Bialik "isn't hosting anything at all"? Between the HS, college, and champions tournaments, that's 5 weeks of games. Way to be dismissive of her job. NPR needs to find something better to rant about.

I don't see "isn't hosting anything at all" in the article. They said that the statement that after Trebek "Jeopardy has two hosts" is bogus. For two hosts you expect two people on stage or two people switching off. I think that they should have announced it as "the new host is Mike Richards, although Miam Bialik will do the college and returning champions tournaments'.

Quote:
I can't believe the furor over this decision. Richards must have had to answer to someone before choosing himself

I think the furor is in the fact that the whole exercise seems like a fraud and people feel bamboozled. But Richards could win them over if he starts his hosting by paying the daily homage to Trebek that he did on his "emergency" stint - the most notable being when he turned What Would Jesus Do? that Christians ask, into What Would Alex Do? for himself.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 08/19/21 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well I'm the one who said Bialik wouldn't be hosting at all. But maybe I misunderstood this part of the NPR piece.

3.The two-hosts thing is silly and, again, disingenuous

The announcement of Richards was disguised as an announcement of two hosts who would share responsibilities: He would do the "daily syndicated show," and actor Mayim Bialik, who had been one of the guest hosts, would do prime-time specials and spinoffs. The more accurate description of this arrangement is that Richards is hosting the show, and Bialik is hosting some specials. The job to succeed Trebek on Jeopardy! proper? It went to Richards. Not two people. Richards. And the more they put out statements that obscure the result, the more it makes it seem like they don't want to talk about what really happened.

I'll admit I haven't watched the show regularly in decades. So I surely don't know what a Jeopardy prime-time special or spinoff is. Jeopardy is on at 7 PM here in LA and I think in most markets. The college shows and returning champions and tournament of champions, whatever, are all on Jeopardy proper at the regular Jeopardy time. I would have never imagined them bringing in this actress and jettisoning the regular year round host for the premier events on the Jeopardy calendar (and still can't) so I guessed that prime-time specials and spinoffs couldn't have referred to those things.

Does anyone know anything for sure or are you guys talking out your asses, too. Laughing

PostPosted: 08/19/21 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I definitely read she was going to host the teen and college tournaments as well as the champion tournament which I took to mean when they bring back old champions just for kicks. Whether that's all true or not, I couldn't say. Maybe they're adding some other specials also. And maybe it works out better for her given her other commitments.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/19/21 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They rarely do primetime specials. The last one was the Greatest of All Time match with Jennings, Rutter, and Holzhauer.

The only spin off I recall was Sports Jeopardy, which last aired in 2016.

PostPosted: 08/20/21 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, talk about a weird turn of events. Richards is now out.

NYTimes-

Mike Richards, who was named the new host of “Jeopardy!” last week, is abruptly leaving the role as the beloved game show after a report this week resurfaced offensive and sexist comments he made on a podcast several years ago.

Mr. Richards, who as the show’s executive producer helped oversee the search for Alex Trebek’s replacement — before he himself was named to the position — said on Friday in a staff memo that the controversy had made “clear that moving forward as host would be too much of a distraction for our fans and not the right move for the show.”

“As such, I will be stepping down as host effective immediately,” Mr. Richards wrote.

PostPosted: 08/20/21 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Apparently they're going to start next season with more guest hosts

PostPosted: 08/20/21 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What a mess.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
tfan

PostPosted: 08/20/21 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New ‘Jeopardy!’ Host Mike Richards Made Sexist Comments in Resurfaced Podcast

Quote:
The newly appointed 'Jeopardy!' host disparaged women's weight, called one model a "booth slut" and repeatedly praised "the average white-guy host."

He looked at a picture of his co-host's (a former convention model and his assistant on The Price is Right) girlfriends and called them fat and frumpy. Is sexist the right word for that?

sexist: characterized by or showing prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.

Definition of sexism

1 : prejudice or discrimination based on sex especially : discrimination against women
2 : behavior, conditions, or attitudes that foster stereotypes of social roles based on sex

For the other remarks considered sexist (at least as reported by Hollywood Reporter), he teased (or mocked) his co-host for being a former convention model referring to her as a “booth ho,” “booth slut” and “boothstitute.” If we take it as criticizing her, isn't he doing it for doing something that a feminist would also be against?

Last edited by tfan on 08/20/21 12:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
StevenHW

PostPosted: 08/20/21 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/20/media/jeopardy-mike-richards-steps-down/index.htmlhttps://www.cnn.com/2021/08/20/media/jeopardy-mike-richards-steps-down/index.html

PostPosted: 08/20/21 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Is sexist the right word for that?

I agree...."sexist* is too broad. I'd much prefer "Boorish Pig". Razz

PostPosted: 08/20/21 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/20/media/jeopardy-mike-richards-steps-down/index.html

This has more charges than the Hollywood Reporter gave.

Quote:
After 24 hours, it was clear that his apology was not well-received. The Anti-Defamation League even weighed in, saying that Richards' "disparaging remarks about Jews, women & Asians are no laughing matter. Stereotyping is an entry point to hate and his apology lacks acknowledgment of its harm. This reported pattern warrants an investigation."

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 08/20/21 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
New ‘Jeopardy!’ Host Mike Richards Made Sexist Comments in Resurfaced Podcast

Quote:
The newly appointed 'Jeopardy!' host disparaged women's weight, called one model a "booth slut" and repeatedly praised "the average white-guy host."

He looked at a picture of his co-host's (a former convention model and his assistant on The Price is Right) girlfriends and called them fat and frumpy. Is sexist the right word for that?

sexist: characterized by or showing prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.

Definition of sexism

1 : prejudice or discrimination based on sex especially : discrimination against women
2 : behavior, conditions, or attitudes that foster stereotypes of social roles based on sex

For the other remarks considered sexist (at least as reported by Hollywood Reporter), he teased (or mocked) his co-host for being a former convention model referring to her as a “booth ho,” “booth slut” and “boothstitute.” If we take it as criticizing her, isn't he doing it for doing something that a feminist would also be against?

Sounds like he was auditioning to replace a 1990s era Howard Stern. This is shock-jock banter. And he was the producer of The Price is Right at the time? Like why isn’t that enough for you? lol. pilight, Howee. If you were the producer of the The Price is Right would you be making podcasts trying to be something else? Funny? Edgy? If you don’t have a house in Pacific Palisades it’s because yours is in Brentwood or north of Montana Ave in Santa Monica. And now he’s being accused BY INSIDERS of having ‘manipulated’ the Jeopardy! host “search” so that he would ultimately be selected. And then, back in the deep background, there’s these allegations of workplace mistreatment by former subordinates.

justin’s Kevin Spacey video might be more accurate than he thought. There’s something wrong with these people.

PostPosted: 08/20/21 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's not like he was a dude in his 20's goofing around because he doesn't know any better. He was 39.

Quote:

Sexist is exactly the right word

PostPosted: 08/20/21 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Frumpy is a disparaging term that is culturally (i.e. in the real world) ONLY applied to women (or by women, to describe clothing or shoes, etc.) so yes, that would test positive for being sexist.

What’s notable or new now in our world the last 30 or so years is how moving and shakings in ‘the’ media like this redefine acceptable behaviors for everyone. No it was never acceptable to call someone frumpy to their face or stand in your place of employment and voice those thoughts about co-workers or anyone really. But having an incident apply the stamp of a charge like ‘sexist’ to a word expands the unacceptability and pushes the potential penalties done to any user of such a word out into the private public at large.

This is something that just happens. I’m not sticking up for the word frumpy or for sexism. I’m just saying out there is a country of free people who we really shouldn’t be policing in terms of their thoughts and every verbal utterances. But that is happening. And in this particular case, yeah, I’m cheering it. This guy really shouldn’t be where he is in television. (Although they’re all like that, but that’s another thing entirely.)

But this guy’s shit… THE media… the news media, movies, television, popular music, big tech, etc. Jesus Christ has it all taken over the minds of the people or what?

And from the occasional peripherally notable incident like this, to the very very hard sell of MSNBC, Fox News, CNN, the way those three networks TALK directly to their viewers. The way Rachel Maddow, Tucker Carlson and Chris Cuomo, just to name three, look directly into the camera and speaking so slowly and emphatically drill down their political opinions or the network’s decided upon opinions. This shit has gotten scary!

Anyway. What the FUCK were we talking about? Oh yeah, Jeopardy! I don’t even watch the shit! Laughing

PostPosted: 08/26/21 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TMZ has a credible explanation for the "two hosts" situation. The powers that be wanted Bialik but she couldn't commit to doing it full time. They also said Levar Burton was not under serious consideration for the pick.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/28/21 1:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that the powers that be were all set to hire Ken Jennings as Trebek's replacement until his old tweets got attention. And that back in 2012 when Trebek had a minor heart attack the list of replacements included Matt Lauer and Brian Williams.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/31/21 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mike Richards has now been fired as Exec Producer of both Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. Mayim Bialik will be the first guest host of Jeopardy.
"Bialik has since been scrutinized for some previous comments of her own, including anti-vaccine statements. Bialik's publicist told The Washington Post that Bialik and her sons are fully vaccinated against coronavirus and that Bialik "believes in the science behind vaccines and medicine." "

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/31/media/mike-richards-jeopardy/index.html

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 08/31/21 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm so stupid. I was going to ask how many of you woke mammerjammers were going to boycott Jeopardy until this misogynists was removed from the show. Ah, the missed opportunities. Laughing

PostPosted: 08/31/21 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This whole thing- I'm not sure whether farce or debacle is the right word- has done wonders for breaking my Jeopardy! habit. Y'all know how much I did not love Trebek, but this has been a disaster show.

(now with spelling variations)
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/31/21 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The extended period of guest hosts was a bad idea for the show, and management's negligence in not vetting Richards is unbelievable. You can't hire/elect/honor/choose anyone for anything now unless they're squeaky clean.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 09/01/21 1:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
This whole thing- I'm not sure whether farce or debacle is the right word- has done wonders for breaking my Jeopardy! habit. Y'all know how much I did not love Trebek, but this has been a disaster show.

I didn't like Trebek either. I mean never. Certainly am very sorry for what happened to him but I was really taken aback by the love people had for him. Total mystery to me.

PostPosted: 09/01/21 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I read an article that said that staffers were never happy about Richards compared to the person he replaced back in 2019. The article said that Richards has a "force of nature" personality, whatever that means. So there was also internal pressure to get rid of him that must have increased after the podcast comments came to light.

Quote:
“We had hoped that when Mike stepped down from the host position at Jeopardy! it would have minimized the disruption and internal difficulties we have all experienced these last few weeks. That clearly has not happened,” Suzanne Prete, an executive with the game shows, said in the memo.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 09/16/21 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
In a Thursday news release, the quiz show announced Mayim Bialik and Ken Jennings will host episodes that will air through the end of 2021. Beginning Monday, episodes featuring Bialik behind the show's iconic lectern will begin airing. The former "Big Bang Theory" star will continue hosting through Nov. 5.

After that, the show says Bialik and Jennings will split hosting duties as their schedules allow.

https://www.wmur.com/article/mayim-bialik-and-ken-jennings-will-guest-host-jeopardy-through-the-end-of-the-year/37622618

Queenie

PostPosted: 09/16/21 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ugh I don't even care anymore, well done, folks

(now with spelling variations)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: