RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Speaking of NCAA scandals. . .
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mred

PostPosted: 10/20/15 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
lvf08 wrote:

Do people realize how little money graduate assistants make?

Not much difference, but this story has him as DBO.

Per this site, he made a salary of $105K. Pretty decent money. http://datacenter.courier-journal.com/government/salaries/

He was a grad assistant for two years and then DOBO for two years. The above salary was submitted to the database in Feb of 2014, which would have been during his final season as DOBO.

justintyme

PostPosted: 10/20/15 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mred wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
lvf08 wrote:

Do people realize how little money graduate assistants make?

Not much difference, but this story has him as DBO.

Per this site, he made $105K. Pretty decent money. http://datacenter.courier-journal.com/government/salaries/

Any belief that he was paying for this out of his own pocket should be easily disabused by the fact that he set up at least one more of these encounters after he had moved on from Louisville. No way he was picking up the tab for a school he was no longer employed by.

PostPosted: 10/20/15 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duplicate

ArtBest23

Duplicate

ArtBest23

Nixtreefan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Countdown to the first post claiming "Oh that happens at every school" . . . . . . .
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Congratulations. 3 1/2 hours. And the winner is:

Nixtreefan wrote:
All the top teams get players by getting boosters/club go betweens to come to their schools by giving bonuses to them for signing.

Oopsy not so fast, Art said ALL schools, I said top schools, unless you think every school is a TOP school Wink But only the TOP schools have that kind of following and money, recruits - signs with TOP school, suddenly show up with nice new expensive toys, seen it with my own eyes along with friends in the business. You guys need to read the book about Pat Barrett, explains about the whales that fund AAU and it's even more lucrative when the colleges get involved Laughing

BTW Art just for you I heard that ND offers the guy recruits parents charter flights to games Wink

Yeah, and you'll next tell us they're all one and dones too, right? Rolling Eyes

Your fictional "everybody does it" are ridiculous enough. It becomes completely inappropriate when you start fabricating fictional and totally false accusations about specific schools or people. You really should stop.

Durantula

PostPosted: 10/20/15 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Countdown to the first post claiming "Oh that happens at every school" . . . . . . .

Nixtreefan wrote:
All the top teams get players by getting boosters/club go betweens to come to their schools by giving bonuses to them for signing.

Oopsy not so fast, Art said ALL schools, I said top schools, unless you think every school is a TOP school Wink But only the TOP schools have that kind of following and money, recruits - signs with TOP school, suddenly show up with nice new expensive toys, seen it with my own eyes along with friends in the business. You guys need to read the book about Pat Barrett, explains about the whales that fund AAU and it's even more lucrative when the colleges get involved Laughing

BTW Art just for you I heard that ND offers the guy recruits parents charter flights to games Wink

Yeah, and you'll next tell us they're all one and dones too, right? Rolling Eyes

Your fictional "everybody does it" are ridiculous enough. It becomes completely inappropriate when you start fabricating fictional and totally false accusations about specific schools or people. You really should stop.

I don't know the specifics but when I see this mentioned about the top coaches then I can only wonder what goes on at some of the 2nd and 3rd rate programs that pull some elite recruits every now and then.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25321523/smus-larry-brown-is-just-the-latest-hof-coach-to-find-ncaa-trouble

There are six active Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame coaches in college.

Here's the list:

Syracuse's Jim Boeheim
SMU's Larry Brown
Kentucky's John Calipari
Duke's Mike Krzyzewski
Louisville's Rick Pitino
North Carolina's Roy Williams

Every one of them has won a national championship, half have coached in the NBA, and all of them are still running programs at the highest level of the sport. They're an accomplished bunch still capable of accomplishing things, the men on that list. And yet what stands out most about them to me, especially on a day like today, is that the majority of them have dealt with allegations of major rules violations inside the programs they run.

Some more than once.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/21/15 7:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Nixtreefan wrote:

I don't know the specifics but when I see this mentioned about the top coaches then I can only wonder what goes on at some of the 2nd and 3rd rate programs that pull some elite recruits every now and then.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25321523/smus-larry-brown-is-just-the-latest-hof-coach-to-find-ncaa-trouble

There are six active Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame coaches in college.

Here's the list:

Syracuse's Jim Boeheim
SMU's Larry Brown
Kentucky's John Calipari
Duke's Mike Krzyzewski
Louisville's Rick Pitino
North Carolina's Roy Williams

Every one of them has won a national championship, half have coached in the NBA, and all of them are still running programs at the highest level of the sport. They're an accomplished bunch still capable of accomplishing things, the men on that list. And yet what stands out most about them to me, especially on a day like today, is that the majority of them have dealt with allegations of major rules violations inside the programs they run.

Some more than once.

You make a good point.

Of course there's still a wide gulf between pointing out that three or four guys have cheated their way to the top, and claiming everyone cheats.

Most people don't. And evidently they may operate at a disadvantage as a result.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/21/15 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I'm young men's coach, outside the Power 5, with lots of ambition.

I know what's going on, because I'm in the business, and I know that I only need one or two players to make a big enough impression to get a Power 5 job, which will pay a great deal of money.

And speaking of money, many if not most young players think they're better than they are (and they really don't know, because they're still 17), and they believe the big money is coming to them soon. Maybe they're not one and done, but they're not worried about the degree. They're focused on making six figures somewhere, getting their family a nice house, getting themselves a nice car, and living the strip club life the NBA stars do.

So as the young coach, what do I need to do to get one or two of these elite players on my team? Follow the rules? Bend the rules? Or, as some big schools clearly do, jump up and down on the rules and violate them with impunity?

Or let's say I'm a Power 5 coach who's $500,000-a-year job in is jeopardy. How am I going to approach recruiting rules?

It's easy for us to say that morality and ethics should come before success, but I'm not sure that would play in the real world -- or at least, not if you wanted to stay employed at a high level.

All that said, though, the women's environment is totally different, so you would think there would be less blatant cheating, and that's my feeling. But in an overall athletic culture at the big schools with tens of millions, if not hundreds of millions, or dollars at stake each year, I think it would be pretty easy to slip over the line. After all, the AD can hardly call you out if his men's coaches are hiring hookers ...

PostPosted: 10/21/15 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, I suppose that's one way to look at.

Cynical. Sad. But one way.

Personally I don't think think the entire human race is completely dishonest, amoral and unethical, and out to get any advantage they can any way they can.

I know some people cheat, but I believe most people, including most coaches, follow the rules.

Must be a depressing way to go through life to believe that every person you face every day is simply out to screw you any way they can.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 10/21/15 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Nixtreefan wrote:

Oh where for Art thou....

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ys-agents031109

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2015/04/06/397822833/a-lesser-known-human-trafficking-problem-teenage-basketball-players

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/20558/play-their-hearts-out

Some lite reading if you are interested Laughing

A top team cannot function without top players, its that simple. With so much money on the line, do you think that only Louisville is doing this Embarassed

The recruit I refer to Art, I personally was told from his own mouth and I could give a crap if you believe me or not as I would never out him as he is a pawn, but you have such a high moral ground and such disdain for these other schools, it warms my heart to know that you are wrong on this one!

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 10/21/15 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
So I'm young men's coach, outside the Power 5, with lots of ambition.

I know what's going on, because I'm in the business, and I know that I only need one or two players to make a big enough impression to get a Power 5 job, which will pay a great deal of money.

And speaking of money, many if not most young players think they're better than they are (and they really don't know, because they're still 17), and they believe the big money is coming to them soon. Maybe they're not one and done, but they're not worried about the degree. They're focused on making six figures somewhere, getting their family a nice house, getting themselves a nice car, and living the strip club life the NBA stars do.

So as the young coach, what do I need to do to get one or two of these elite players on my team? Follow the rules? Bend the rules? Or, as some big schools clearly do, jump up and down on the rules and violate them with impunity?

Or let's say I'm a Power 5 coach who's $500,000-a-year job in is jeopardy. How am I going to approach recruiting rules?

It's easy for us to say that morality and ethics should come before success, but I'm not sure that would play in the real world -- or at least, not if you wanted to stay employed at a high level.

All that said, though, the women's environment is totally different, so you would think there would be less blatant cheating, and that's my feeling. But in an overall athletic culture at the big schools with tens of millions, if not hundreds of millions, or dollars at stake each year, I think it would be pretty easy to slip over the line. After all, the AD can hardly call you out if his men's coaches are hiring hookers ...

Excellent post Clay. I came from the boys side and didn't like how it affected the kids. They are dragged into a money machine and if you read some of the articles, a lot of them end up with nothing. It's kinda like all the information comes out down the road when these kids realize what actually happened to them. You are starting to see the information come out on the girls side but just barely. Obviously there is not the inordinate amount of money that there is on the boys side but there is still money and some of the girls coaches are earning big ass salaries.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/21/15 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Nixtreefan wrote:

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2015/04/06/397822833/a-lesser-known-human-trafficking-problem-teenage-basketball-players

A top team cannot function without top players, its that simple. With so much money on the line, do you think that only Louisville is doing this Embarassed

The recruit I refer to Art, I personally was told from his own mouth and I could give a crap if you believe me or not as I would never out him as he is a pawn, but you have such a high moral ground and such disdain for these other schools, it warms my heart to know that you are wrong on this one!

You link a bunch of articles about AAU basketball. It's hardly a secret that the AAU system is corrupt as hell. It has been for years and shoe money has completely corrupted it.

Of course that's not the NCAA. And unlike the NCAA, the AAU has essentially no investigation or enforcement system. It's the wild west.

Which is why some coaches are completely linked in to AAU coaches and handlers, and many other won't go near them or the players the handlers represent.

But the articles you linked don't say what you seem to think they say.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 10/21/15 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="ArtBest23"]
Nixtreefan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Nixtreefan wrote:

You link a bunch of articles about AAU basketball. It's hardly a secret that the AAU system is corrupt as hell. It has been for years and shoe money has completely corrupted it.

Of course that's not the NCAA. And unlike the NCAA, the AAU has essentially no investigation or enforcement system. It's the wild west.

Which is why some coaches are completely linked in to AAU coaches and handlers, and many other won't go near them or the players the handlers represent.

But the articles you linked don't say what you seem to think they say.[/quote

Wow you are a fast reader LMAO. Thanks for confirming that in fact the NCAA coaches are completely linked in to AAU and some are not!!!! Yeah I haven't seen another arena for recruiting players but again thank you for confirming that Wink

lvf08

PostPosted: 10/22/15 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofL student sues Katina Powell, claims she damaged future degree from the university

http://www.wdrb.com/story/30328448/uofl-student-sues-katina-powell-claims-she-damaged-future-degree-from-the-university

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 10/22/15 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lvf08 wrote:
UofL student sues Katina Powell, claims she damaged future degree from the university

http://www.wdrb.com/story/30328448/uofl-student-sues-katina-powell-claims-she-damaged-future-degree-from-the-university

That's ridiculous.

justintyme

PostPosted: 10/22/15 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
lvf08 wrote:

That's ridiculous.

Yep. Someone is about to be laughed out of court.

PostPosted: 10/22/15 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LOL. Yeah, heaven forbid the damage that was actually done by the U of L men's basketball program. Clearly it's more damaging to make public the sleaziness as opposed to the actual acts of sleaziness.

I am so damn sick of frivolous lawsuits.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/22/15 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:

Will be interesting to see if the suit is amended to add Pitino and McGee if they are found to have known/had a part in any of this. If what Powell says is determined to be true, I'm thinking that they did as much to 'de-value' the degree as she did. And while we're at it, throw in the daughters too. Rolling Eyes

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 10/24/15 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

Will be interesting to see if the suit is amended to add Pitino and McGee if they are found to have known/had a part in any of this. If what Powell says is determined to be true, I'm thinking that they did as much to 'de-value' the degree as she did. And while we're at it, throw in the daughters too. Rolling Eyes

Give me a break with the "devaluing" of the degree. Seriously? Here's a very likely scenario I suppose, given the situation:

Employer - "I see you graduated with a degree in social work with a 3.8 GPA."

Candidate - "Yes, I did. I also did a lot of volunteer work with the local girls and boys club while also serving at the local soup kitchen every Friday evening."

Employer - "Oh, wait a minute here. I see you went to the University of Louisville. Isn't that where the basketball team hired strippers for recruiting purposes?"

Candidate - "I think I may have heard something about that, but seeing as I'm not a huge basketball fan and didn't attend the games, I'm not really sure."

Employer - "Well, I can't hire anyone with a degree from there. You are clearly tainted and without morals. Had you gone to Kentucky where they run a clean basketball program, I would have hired you right here, right now. Best of luck to you."

And scene.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 10/24/15 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lvf08 wrote:

I didn't realize you could devalue a Louisville degree.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/24/15 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
lvf08 wrote:

I didn't realize you could devalue a Louisville degree.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 11/02/15 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ND style.

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/breaking-notre-dame-sued-for-discrimination/36160340

This broke last week. Surprised it wasn't already posted.

Quote:
The lawsuit filed in St. Joseph County says the academic coach worked at Notre Dame counseling students and student athletes.

According to those court documents, the woman encouraged him to have sex with her daughter and she would ask him about various aspects of the sexual encounters.

The lawsuit alleges the academic coach harassed the student with racially charged comments about his genitalia. The lawsuit also says she would provide hotel rooms, transportation and condoms.

The male student says the academic coach also arranged sex between her daughter and student athletes on the football and basketball teams.

Just heard that she was fired last month.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 11/02/15 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ND style. Not yet to the NCAA level, but with athletes possibly involved....

http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/breaking-notre-dame-sued-for-discrimination/36160340

Quote:
The lawsuit filed in St. Joseph County says the academic coach worked at Notre Dame counseling students and student athletes.

According to those court documents, the woman encouraged him to have sex with her daughter and she would ask him about various aspects of the sexual encounters.

The male student says the academic coach also arranged sex between her daughter and student athletes on the football and basketball teams.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/02/15 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
ND style.

Quote:

The lawsuit alleges the academic coach harassed the student with racially charged comments about his genitalia. The lawsuit also says she would provide hotel rooms, transportation and condoms.

It's my understanding that the university rejected all of these allegations in an administrative hearing and has basically called the lawsuit bullshit, which anyone who bothered to read the complaint probably would too.

It claims some bizarre conspiracy whereby doctors in the university's medical center supposedly drugged the plaintiff to keep him quiet about this. Yeah I'm sure that happened. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

"The allegations against the University of Notre Dame in the complaint are unfounded, as are gratuitous and unfounded references to 'student-athletes' an allegation that is nothing more than a cynical attempt to attract publicity," said university spokesman Paul Browne."

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 11/02/15 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
ND style.

Quote:

It's my understanding that the university rejected all of these allegations in an administrative hearing and has basically called the lawsuit bullshit, which anyone who bothered to read the complaint probably would too.

It claims some bizarre conspiracy whereby doctors in the university's medical center supposedly drugged the plaintiff to keep him quiet about this. Yeah I'm sure that happened. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

"The allegations against the University of Notre Dame in the complaint are unfounded, as are gratuitous and unfounded references to 'student-athletes' an allegation that is nothing more than a cynical attempt to attract publicity," said university spokesman Paul Browne."

Yet ND fired her.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/education/notre-dame-fired-employee-named-in-lawsuit-over-sex-allegations/article_54766504-817c-11e5-ad9b-9f1c7c39a316.html

Quote:
When the student first sought to end the encounters, the suit claims, the woman convinced him he needed mental counseling. The student was counseled by a Notre Dame employee who was a "friend and confidant" of the defendant and who sought to medicate the student to keep him passive, the suit claims.

It could be a legit firing over something unrelated to this issue, but even a homer like you has to admit that it's kind of suspicious.

Where there's smoke, there's usually fire. And I'm seeing a lot of smoke coming from ND way.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: