RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Game Day Forum (edit: NOW LIVE)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retav8or

PostPosted: 11/10/15 1:08 pm    ::: Game Day Forum (edit: NOW LIVE) Reply Reply with quote

Probably addressed but I thought there was a NCAA game day forum, so that the general board would be less cluttered?

Skol Vikings
State of Hockey
Los Lynx
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 11/11/15 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

anyone?

is Shades going to continue the Game Day forum? Hope so. It's one of the most valuable resources here.

PostPosted: 11/11/15 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I actually didn't like it, and would prefer things to stay on one board, without a separate thread for some Power 5 games.

Maybe it would work if we had an ongoing conference thread where we could talk about important games and other conference info. That way we could save Shades some work and centralize the discussions.

(For what it's worth, I never quite got used to scanning all the Game Day conversations for something interesting -- and there were some interesting discussions that were triggered by some blowout or another that I wouldn't have the inspiration to open ...)

PostPosted: 11/11/15 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm with Clay. I'd rather everything be right here.

Shades

PostPosted: 11/11/15 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They keep taking down the Gameday forum without explanation. I guess they believe having too many forums slows down the whole system?

I would think having an archive of Gameday threads would add to Rebkell's uniqueness and value, but I guess Rebkell has to decide its identity. Is it primarily for women's basketball fanatics, that is, people who actually watch the games?

Anyway, if it's a matter of having too many forums, I'm scratching my head why the Gameday forum is sacrificed while scantly used forums like WNBA Collectibles and WNBA Fantasy Game remain standing. Olympics?

I guess it all comes down to how much you value live game day discussions of games. The reason I started to put forth the effort in the first place was I felt that even in this community of supposedly hardcore women's basketball fanatics, there didn't seem to be enough interest in watching the games. The results were the only thing that really mattered. If a community like this doesn't take an interest in watching the games, how do expect the general public to take more of an interest than they do? Isn't that something we all moan about? So I decided to do my part in helping people take more interest in watching the games by letting them know when and where the games are on, link to where they could watch or listen online, and supply live stats.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 11/11/15 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 11/11/15 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It seems the mods take down the gameday forum each year, but put it back up when each season starts as long as we (mostly Shades) request it. Consider this a vote to get the forum started again. I greatly value it and REALLY appreciate all the work that Shades puts into it making games available to see on the internet, etc. Please, let's get it up by Friday's big game. Thanks.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 11/11/15 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
It seems the mods take down the gameday forum each year, but put it back up when each season starts as long as we (mostly Shades) request it. Consider this a vote to get the forum started again. I greatly value it and REALLY appreciate all the work that Shades puts into it making games available to see on the internet, etc. Please, let's get it up by Friday's big game. Thanks.

Seconded. For real, we've had the gameday threads in the main forum before--and things have become unbelievably cluttered. I'd much rather have the game threads in their own space--then those of us who want to open a thread about University of Central Arkansas vs. Hendrix (Okay, for reals tho, something like this could happen) can do so without cluttering up the main forum.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 11/11/15 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I prefer separate the threads for each game. Easier for me to keep track of in my old age. Smile Maybe I;'m just getting lazy, but to skip around from one game to another, and trying to keep track of the one that I'm interested in, is just too much trouble for me. It's also a waste of time to be looking through a conf. mega-thread for the game I'm interested in.

As for maybe missing out on a good conversation, I will look to see the number of replies and if it looks like there is a disproportionate number of replies for how many I think that particular game should have, I'll open it and take a look.

A game between #180 and #245 shouldn't have 25 replies unless something interesting is going on in that thread.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 11/11/15 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Fighting Artichoke Consider this a vote to get the forum started again. I greatly value it and REALLY appreciate all the work that Shades puts into it making games available to see on the internet, etc. .[/quote]

I agree with FA, particularly regarding Shades great work. The only issue I have is that sometimes those threads meander into broader issues that can be hard to find if you aren't following the particular game.

If there aren't separate gameday threads then I would suggest grouping conversations by conference. This may not be easy the first two months but once the conference schedules get going it would probably work well.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/11/15 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with this.

It both keeps this forum less cluttered so that non-game discussions don't get pushed off the page, and makes it easy to find threads about the most significant games, or about any other games that anyone is willing to start and discuss.

I thought it was also great to have a "catchall" thread in that forum, by the way for people to post summaries or observations or comments about games that didn't have their own thread. It was very informative, I thought.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/11/15 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:

Seconded. For real, we've had the gameday threads in the main forum before--and things have become unbelievably cluttered. I'd much rather have the game threads in their own space--then those of us who want to open a thread about University of Central Arkansas vs. Hendrix (Okay, for reals tho, something like this could happen) can do so without cluttering up the main forum.

me four. If it's all on this forum, it also gets harder to pick out other topics, which tend to get lost/pushed out before they get their due.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 11/11/15 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would prefer the "catch-all" be in this forum while Gameday stayed strictly pure gamethreads.... partly for OCD reasons and partly because discussion that should be happening in the appropriate gamethread would often pop up in that thread, sometimes leaving the gamethread overly sparse of comments.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/11/15 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm with you, FA. I personally LOVE the Gameday Forum and have been waiting to see it back. Game discussions get lost on the main forum and it clutters up the place badly. I'm really grateful to Shades for the work he puts in on it.

PostPosted: 11/11/15 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would like to see the Gameday forum back as well.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 11/11/15 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ok, that settles it! Smile

Your turn, Mods.... Wink

PostPosted: 11/11/15 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll have a new gameday forum up later tonight.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 11/11/15 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:

lvf08

PostPosted: 11/11/15 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 11/11/15 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks, Stever.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 11/11/15 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sweet!

thanks, and thanks again to Shades!

PostPosted: 11/11/15 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewforum.php?f=29

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: