RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Recruiting, 2016
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/04/15 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Kim Barnes Arico picked up a verbal from Kysre Gondrezick (pronounced like Kaiser). Gondrezick is the first in-state player to commit to KBA while at Michigan.

Gondrezick's older sister, Kalabra, is a freshman at rival Michigan State this year, setting up some great news stories for the next three years.

Here's a feature on Kysre from March:
http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/news/article/-932626352075087556/benton-harbors-kysre-gondrezick-michigans-top-ranked-player-in-2016-class-weighing-offers-from-countrys-top-programs/

ESPN: http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/164648/kysre-gondrezick

Her mom, Lisa Harvey-Gondrezick, won a national championship at LaTech in 1988.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 11/04/15 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
Kim Barnes Arico picked up a verbal from Kysre Gondrezick (pronounced like Kaiser). Gondrezick is the first in-state player to commit to KBA while at Michigan.

Gondrezick's older sister, Kalabra, is a freshman at rival Michigan State this year, setting up some great news stories for the next three years.

http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/news/article/-932626352075087556/benton-harbors-kysre-gondrezick-michigans-top-ranked-player-in-2016-class-weighing-offers-from-countrys-top-programs/

ESPN: http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/164648/kysre-gondrezick

Maybe we'll get a Michigan-Michigan State national Championship game soon. Just imagine how everyone would seethe at that.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 11/04/15 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
Oregon State gets their future point guard.

http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/208681/mikayla-pivec

Good pick-up for Rueck, and his second 5 star player in a row (W Katie McMillan of 2015 Especially with recruiting at ORegon on the up under Kelly Graves. Rueck is still allegedly in the running for Ionescu.

Ionescu, she is goood! That would be one hell of get for Rueck.

Sabrina is down to Oregon (where her twin brother has committed) and local favorite Cal. Oregon State was in her final 4 but was eliminated just before she eliminated Texas.

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Miramonte-s-Ionescu-remains-undecided-about-6611288.php

mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/05/15 6:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

Maybe we'll get a Michigan-Michigan State national Championship game soon. Just imagine how everyone would seethe at that.

Very Happy I'd be happy with a B1G crown on the Michigan side!

ridor

PostPosted: 11/05/15 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm puzzled that UK Coach Matthew Mitchell was able to snag few great players to play for him despite the seemingly revolving door at UK where many players come in and left. This year, he kicked one player off the team, two left with intent to transfer but worry not, they signed a top 10 player for UK. What's going on in Lexington?

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/06/15 7:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
I'm puzzled that UK Coach Matthew Mitchell was able to snag few great players to play for him despite the seemingly revolving door at UK where many players come in and left. This year, he kicked one player off the team, two left with intent to transfer but worry not, they signed a top 10 player for UK. What's going on in Lexington?

It's not unique to UK. Been happening at Duke for years. Also Cynthia Cooper had several of her recruits leave USC yet she has a top player coming in 2017. Balcomb, as established as she is at Vandy, has had several players leave but has Chas Clayton coming in next year. If transfer trend holds, this will be coming more common.

~UK~

PostPosted: 11/06/15 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:

Rowe was dismissed from Oregon for violation of team rules. She apparently didn't change her ways & was subsequently dismissed from UK.

The freshman that just left had ACL issues in high school & is still not able to go.

It sounds like Harper seems to want to move to a situation where she is the star on the team.

Bad timing but not Mitchell's fault.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 11/06/15 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:
ridor wrote:

Rowe was dismissed from Oregon for violation of team rules. She apparently didn't change her ways & was subsequently dismissed from UK.

The freshman that just left had ACL issues in high school & is still not able to go.

It sounds like Harper seems to want to move to a situation where she is the star on the team.

Regarding Harper, how do you know that's the reason why she transferred? Just curious.

~UK~

PostPosted: 11/06/15 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
ridor wrote:

Regarding Harper, how do you

know that's the reason why she transferred? Just curious.

I've heard it from several people & it's even been mentioned on a local sports radio show plus you can read between the lines on some of Mitchell's comments.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 11/06/15 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
ridor wrote:

I've heard it from several people & it's even been mentioned on a local sports radio show plus you can read between the lines on some of Mitchell's comments.

I think it might be the opposite. She wants to be on a team that has a chance to be final four and championship contender. I kind of did some Twitter stalking and noticed her mom just recently started following Ohio State WBball and the head coach. If she ends up there, she would not be the star, but be apart of a team full of stars. JMO.

~UK~

PostPosted: 11/06/15 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
ridor wrote:

I think it might be the opposite. She wants to be on a team that has a chance to be final four and championship contender. I kind of did some Twitter stalking and noticed her mom just recently started following Ohio State WBball and the head coach. If she ends up there, she would not be the star, but be apart of a team full of stars. JMO.

Good detective skills Shmermerer1. If you dig a little more you'll see more of the story. I guess if you're on a team of stars, then you are a star Wink .

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 11/06/15 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
ridor wrote:

Good detective skills Shmermerer1. If you dig a little more you'll see more of the story. I guess if you're on a team of stars, then you are a star Wink .

On the flip side, Linnae Harper follows Lisa Bluder, Jilly-O, Sophie Brunner, Notre Dame Business School. Maybe those are destinations.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 11/06/15 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
ridor wrote:

On the flip side, Linnae Harper follows Lisa Bluder, Jilly-O, Sophie Brunner, Notre Dame Business School. Maybe those are destinations.

Could be. I thought Bluder was her PAN AMs coach.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/06/15 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
ridor wrote:

So not likely to come home to DePaul?

PostPosted: 11/06/15 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
ridor wrote:

Honestly who knows. I was just going off what I noticed on Twitter. I could be totally wrong. She may want to return to Chicago and be closer to family. I think DePaul would be a great fit for her. I would love it if she joined our team.

~UK~

PostPosted: 11/07/15 7:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
ridor wrote:

Honestly who knows. I was just going off what I noticed on Twitter. I could be totally wrong. She may want to return to Chicago and be closer to family. I think DePaul would be a great fit for her. I would love it if she joined our team.

DePaul would be a really good fit for her but I'd put money on OSU. Bigger stage, bigger stars, Pam Am games connections. Where does McGuff find all of these scholarships? Wink

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 11/07/15 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
ridor wrote:

DePaul would be a really good fit for her but I'd put money on OSU. Bigger stage, bigger stars, Pam Am games connections. Where does McGuff find all of these scholarships? Wink

Uhhhhhhh who at OSU has Pan Am games connections? You're kind of starting to sound bitter. Harper is a good egg and is not a me me me type of person. If anyone is it's the UK head coach. Personally I think Harper wants to be a better basketball player and knows Mitchell is a poor coach.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/07/15 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer, I agree with you that Bruno is a great coach. I really don't know about McGuff. I have a lifelong dislike for tOSU due to being a Wisconsin alum, but that's another story. Like you, I'd love to see Harper at DePaul, but who knows with these kids? She could go to the moon, the way she's tweeting!

PostPosted: 11/07/15 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
ridor wrote:

Uhhhhhhh who at OSU has Pan Am games connections? You're kind of starting to sound bitter. Harper is a good egg and is not a me me me type of person. If anyone is it's the UK head coach. Personally I think Harper wants to be a better basketball player and knows Mitchell is a poor coach.

Mavunga

~UK~

PostPosted: 11/07/15 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
ridor wrote:

Mavunga

Go to the head of the class. Roommates at the Pam Am games.

Shmermer1, I'm not bitter, just disappointed in the state of transfers in college sports. Take a few minutes to listen to Melanie Balcomb on the subject in this podcast: http://www.hoopfeed.com/content/2015/11/05/dishin-swishin-110515-podcast-vanderbilts-melanie-balcomb-on-the-transfer-epidemic-returning-to-prominence-in-the-sec-and-more/

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 11/07/15 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:
Durantula wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
ridor wrote:

Mavunga

Shmermer1, I'm not bitter, just disappointed in the state of transfers in college sports. Take a few minutes to listen to Melanie Balcomb on the subject in this podcast: http://www.hoopfeed.com/content/2015/11/05/dishin-swishin-110515-podcast-vanderbilts-melanie-balcomb-on-the-transfer-epidemic-returning-to-prominence-in-the-sec-and-more/

I listened to it and I completely agree with Balcomb in some cases; however, I don't think Harper is like the kids she was talking about. She wants to get better and that wasn't happening at UK. i think recruiting is messy on both sides if you ask me. Some coaches lie and over promise to get kids to come to their school.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 11/07/15 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:
Durantula wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
~UK~ wrote:
ridor wrote:

Mavunga

I also think Balcomn made an inaccurate statement about scholarships and it being a 4 year investment. A lot of scholarships are year to year in athletics. They are typically not guaranteed. I've seen many many situations of scholarships being pulled and not for behavior or academic issues.

GEF34

PostPosted: 11/07/15 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:

I also think Balcomb made an inaccurate statement about scholarships and it being a 4 year investment. A lot of scholarships are year to year in athletics. They are typically not guaranteed. I've seen many many situations of scholarships being pulled and not for behavior or academic issues.

The past few years some schools, I don't recall if Vanderbilt is one of them, but schools have changed their policy to 4 year guaranteed scholarships. I recall USC made the change for men's and women's basketball and football, and perhaps other sports have been added since then. And I believe the NCAA has allowed schools to offer multi year scholarships for a few years now, so coaches did have the option to do so before the school made the changes to the policies.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 11/07/15 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:

I also think Balcomb made an inaccurate statement about scholarships and it being a 4 year investment. A lot of scholarships are year to year in athletics. They are typically not guaranteed. I've seen many many situations of scholarships being pulled and not for behavior or academic issues.

The past few years some schools, I don't recall if Vanderbilt is one of them, but schools have changed their policy to 4 year guaranteed scholarships. I recall USC made the change for men's and women's basketball and football, and perhaps other sports have been added since then. And I believe the NCAA has allowed schools to offer multi year scholarships for a few years now, so coaches did have the option to do so before the school made the changes to the policies.

I am aware of that, but you are talking of a select few schools that have changed that, so like I said most student athletes are not guaranteed 4 year scholarships.

This particular subject hits home to me cause I was a D1 athlete that transferred after my freshmen year because of unkept promises by my head coach. I have seen athletes scholarships taken away as well. Very disgusting.

GEF34

PostPosted: 11/07/15 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:

I am aware of that, but you are talking of a select few schools that have changed that, so like I said most student athletes are not guaranteed 4 year scholarships.

This particular subject hits home to me cause I was a D1 athlete that transferred after my freshmen year because of unkept promises by my head coach. I have seen athletes scholarships taken away as well. Very disgusting.

There are more than just a select few schools, and there are coaches that are not at those schools that offer guaranteed scholarships, so while what she said is not true of the entire NCAA Division I landscape, it's not a completely inaccurate statement. And I don't know how she runs her program, but perhaps she is speaking more of personal experience, as in she guarantees her players 4 years of scholarship unless they decide to transfer on their own.

Last edited by GEF34 on 11/07/15 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: