RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2015-2016 Transfers and Injuries
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/09/16 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
. These ridiculous "agreements" between the pros and the NCAA are bullshit.

What "agreements"?

I don't think the owners and players associations asked for or received any input from the NCAA before imposing their own draft eligibility requirements. I don't think the NCAA has anything at all to do with it.

It would likely make the whole thing an antitrust violation if the NCAA was involved at all in such restrictions.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/09/16 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

What "agreements"?

I don't think the owners and players associations asked for or received any input from the NCAA before imposing their own draft eligibility requirements. I don't think the NCAA has anything at all to do with it.

It would likely make the whole thing an antitrust violation if the NCAA was involved at all in such restrictions.

Well whatever the hell the "deal" is that says that the men have to play at least a year (or is it now two? I've lost track, since I don't follow MBB at all) and the women can't opt for the draft until after the sophomore year. It's bullshit and turns the colleges into recruiting farms for the pros, especially in the case of the men. Let the pros develop their own minor leagues at their own expense, and let the college players be TRUE scholar-athletes, and stop the silliness.

PostPosted: 04/09/16 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

What "agreements"?

Well whatever the hell the "deal" is that says that the men have to play at least a year (or is it now two? I've lost track, since I don't follow MBB at all) and the women can't opt for the draft until after the sophomore year. It's bullshit and turns the colleges into recruiting farms for the pros, especially in the case of the men. Let the pros develop their own minor leagues at their own expense, and let the college players be TRUE scholar-athletes, and stop the silliness.

It's a rule made by the league, owners and players union.

And as far the women's are concerned, they can on declare early if they turn 22 the year of the draft, their high school graduating class will be completing their 4th year of college or they will graduate with their degree within 3 months of the draft.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/09/16 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

What "agreements"?

And as far the women's are concerned, they can on declare early if they turn 22 the year of the draft, their high school graduating class will be completing their 4th year of college or they will graduate with their degree within 3 months of the draft.

The NBA should adopt a similar rule vis a vis colleges and run their own damn minor league at their own expense; as far as I'm concerned the way it's done now makes a joke out of MCBB. That is what I was talking about. Since I follow neither MCBB (mostly because of that, and other than passing glances at Wisconsin and Tennessee from time to time) nor the NBA, I had no idea of how that worked. I only knew that the "phenoms" were mostly one-and-done, except at a few places. Wisconsin, to their credit, mostly has multi-year players. It's a hard school to get into and the guys who play there mostly do stay and get their degrees because they're smart enough to.

PostPosted: 04/09/16 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

What "agreements"?

The NBA should adopt a similar rule vis a vis colleges and run their own damn minor league at their own expense; as far as I'm concerned the way it's done now makes a joke out of MCBB. That is what I was talking about. Since I follow neither MCBB (mostly because of that, and other than passing glances at Wisconsin and Tennessee from time to time) nor the NBA, I had no idea of how that worked. I only knew that the "phenoms" were mostly one-and-done, except at a few places. Wisconsin, to their credit, mostly has multi-year players. It's a hard school to get into and the guys who play there mostly do stay and get their degrees because they're smart enough to.

I don't know the exact rules in terms of qualifications for players to join, but the NBA does have it's own minor league that they run. It's not as extensive as it is in baseball, but a minor league for the NBA does exist.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/09/16 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="GEF34"]
summertime blues wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

What "agreements"?

I don't know the exact rules in terms of qualifications for players to join, but the NBA does have it's own minor league that they run. It's not as extensive as it is in baseball, but a minor league for the NBA does exist.[/quote

I know they *have* a D-League, but I want them to stop using the colleges and universities as part of it Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 04/09/16 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="summertime blues"]
GEF34 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

What "agreements"?

I don't know the exact rules in terms of qualifications for players to join, but the NBA does have it's own minor league that they run. It's not as extensive as it is in baseball, but a minor league for the NBA does exist.[/quote

I know they *have* a D-League, but I want them to stop using the colleges and universities as part of it Rolling Eyes

The only way that will happen is if the colleges discontinue athletics. Even if the NBA (or every pro league) required everyone to have a degree before they can enter the draft, colleges would still be doing what you say you dislike about it.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/09/16 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The colleges have no say in the matter. And why would, say, the NFL spend the money on a farm system if they don't have to?

I get tired of the Bilas's of the world blaming the colleges for not paying players and wanting to abolish amateur college sports when the correct target is the pro leagues.

Congress should remove the collective bargaining antitrust exemption for age restrictions and then players who want to turn pro could turn pro. And leave the amateur college system alone.

It's interesting that in both baseball and hockey - sports where there IS a choice and players can either go play in farm systems for pay OR go to college - the number of stars choosing to go the unpaid college route has been going up for years.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/09/16 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mirabile dictu, Art and I agree on something! Shocked

PostPosted: 04/09/16 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sophomore Kelly Loftus, the leading scorer for this years Hofstra team that advanced to The quarterfinals of the WNIT is transferring.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/09/16 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let the adults make adult decisions. If you're 18, you should be able to decide if you want to play in the WNBA or not. Or try to play in the WNBA.

Of course, you should be able to choose what school you want to work for (be compensated at), but only administrators and coaches are allowed to do that.

PostPosted: 04/09/16 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Let the adults make adult decisions. If you're 18, you should be able to decide if you want to play in the WNBA or not. Or try to play in the WNBA.

Of course, you should be able to choose what school you want to work for (be compensated at), but only administrators and coaches are allowed to do that.

Preach Clay Very Happy

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/09/16 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Norfolk State combo G Quiera Gilmore is transferring. She has 4 years remaining (redshirt?).

PostPosted: 04/09/16 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Sophomore Kelly Loftus, the leading scorer for this years Hofstra team that advanced to The quarterfinals of the WNIT is transferring.

She's not a sophomore, she was actually a junior this season, so she'll only have 1 year remaining and I'm pretty sure she'll have to sit a year. She averaged 12.2 points per game.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/09/16 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Preach Clay Very Happy

You probably ought to complain about the pros first. They're the ones with drafts. They're the ones who tell you you have to play in Buffalo or Cleveland or Detroit whether you want to or not. They're the ones who say you can't change teams for six years. They're the ones who can "tag" you so you can't ever play anywhere else.

Last time I looked nobody tells you what college you have to attend. You get to sign that LOI with anyone who offered you a scholarship.

But you should be able to choose whether you want to play professionally or as an amateur. Just as colleges should be free to choose to offer only scholarships, and to play only against other schools who offer only scholarships.

Players shouldn't have to play amateur when they want to turn pro, and schools shouldn't have to run professional sports teams when they only want to sponsor amateur sports.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/10/16 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Preach Clay Very Happy

You probably ought to complain about the pros first. They're the ones with drafts. They're the ones who tell you you have to play in Buffalo or Cleveland or Detroit whether you want to or not. They're the ones who say you can't change teams for six years. They're the ones who can "tag" you so you can't ever play anywhere else.

Last time I looked nobody tells you what college you have to attend. You get to sign that LOI with anyone who offered you a scholarship.

But you should be able to choose whether you want to play professionally or as an amateur. Just as colleges should be free to choose to offer only scholarships, and to play only against other schools who offer only scholarships.

Players shouldn't have to play amateur when they want to turn pro, and schools shouldn't have to run professional sports teams when they only want to sponsor amateur sports.

As mentioned before, if college students had a signed agreement with the NCAA about how the process worked, and that agreement was negotiated with both sides approving, then great. But the colleges make all the decisions, rake in hundreds of millions of dollars, and then claim the workers not only don't deserve any of the profits, but have to follow rules they had no say in.

PostPosted: 04/10/16 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jesus Christ, here we go again... Rolling Eyes

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/10/16 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Preach Clay Very Happy

As mentioned before, if college students had a signed agreement with the NCAA about how the process worked, and that agreement was negotiated with both sides approving, then great. But the colleges make all the decisions, rake in hundreds of millions of dollars, and then claim the workers not only don't deserve any of the profits, but have to follow rules they had no say in.

Why in the world do the schools have to negotiate? They say "We give scholarships, we don't pay players, we only play against schools that follow the same rules we do. Don't like that? Don't come here. Nobody has a gun to your head."

Next you'll tell us they have to "negoiate" with students over the tuition charges, number of credits and grade point needed for graduation, and whether math and a foreign language are required. Same difference.

By the way, not one person subjected to a pro sport draft was part of any negotiation over that obligation to go to the one specific team that owns their draft rights.

colt13

PostPosted: 04/10/16 4:29 pm    ::: Taya Reimer Chooses Spartans Reply Reply with quote

http://www.ndinsider.com/basketball/womens/former-notre-dame-f-taya-reimer-announces-transfer-to-michigan/article_3e0f7e60-ff4c-11e5-9e7d-f31e725c6162.html

Merchant reloads.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/10/16 4:33 pm    ::: Re: Taya Reimer Chooses Spartans Reply Reply with quote

colt13 wrote:
http://www.ndinsider.com/basketball/womens/former-notre-dame-f-taya-reimer-announces-transfer-to-michigan/article_3e0f7e60-ff4c-11e5-9e7d-f31e725c6162.html

Merchant reloads.

Immediately eligible with two years left. Hope her hearts into it.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/10/16 5:09 pm    ::: Re: Taya Reimer Chooses Spartans Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
colt13 wrote:

Merchant reloads.

Anybody know how the ACC/Big10 challenge pairings are made?

Would they match up ND and MSU?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/10/16 7:20 pm    ::: Re: Taya Reimer Chooses Spartans Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
colt13 wrote:

Merchant reloads.

Anybody know how the ACC/Big10 challenge pairings are made?

Would they match up ND and MSU?

Oooh, that might get a little chippy.

PostPosted: 04/10/16 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tiara Davenport, 6' So Guard, transferring from LA Tech.

colt13

PostPosted: 04/12/16 5:45 pm    ::: Sara Hattis Reply Reply with quote

http://texassports.com/news/2016/4/12/sara-hattis-concludes-texas-womens-basketball-career.aspx?path=wbball

A graduate student moving on.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/12/16 5:55 pm    ::: Re: Taya Reimer Chooses Spartans Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
colt13 wrote:

Merchant reloads.

....and her HEAD. Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: