RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2015-2016 Transfers and Injuries
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PRballer

PostPosted: 04/01/16 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Azura Stevens and Angela Salvadores are leaving Duke. http://www.swishappeal.com/2016/4/1/11345868/duke-stevens-salvadores-leave-program?utm_campaign=swishappeal&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

I wish I could say I am Shocked but I'm not. Hemorrhaging both staff and student athletes at incredibly high rates. Vast drop in attendance. No NCAA tournament. Missed out on Sweet 16s, losing major ground in the ACC. And honestly, her first two team in 2007-8 and 2008-9 didn't pass the "eye test." They looked boring and poorly coached and she had good players on those teams that Gail recruited.

I've followed the Duke women's program and what Gail built since 1992-1993 when she first arrived. Her best teams in the later years were FUN to watch and Cameron was the toughest place to play, as most opposing coaches noted. Dominated the ACC, strong showings in March. Her natty was coming.

This joke of a coach has the program in a free fall and has ruined the women's basketball program at Duke. Missing the NCAAs this year and the saddest part is that more and more, people will care less and less.

Do something, Duke. Soon.

lvf08

PostPosted: 04/01/16 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not surprised...

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/01/16 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
POLOinMD wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Durantula wrote:
Kaydra Duckett and Jatarie White are transferring from South Carolina. White was a McDonald's All American in 2014.

Whoa! White is transferring? Who have they got coming in?

Relative to post players they have Mikiah Harrigan coming in out of Florida.

South Carolina will have Gray and Davis available after sitting out this year.

. . .and much less depth at both guard and post, no experienced leadership at guard, and most importantly, even less of a competent point guard than before.

Gray and Davis where both leaders at there last schools. The only issue I see with South Carolina next year is the game plan, Dawn will have a hard time telling Davis more so then Gray when and when not to shoot.

Neither is a point guard. Cuevas? Good luck with that.

And I certainly wouldn't call Davis a "leader" unless you mean in number of shots attempted.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 04/01/16 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/01/16 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happy for the Duke transfers.

Azura, you can be a part of returning UConn to glory. Wink

PostPosted: 04/01/16 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two quality players ... and young ones ... leave Duke.

Presumably both will stay on the East Coast ...

A guess based on nothing but history: Prize recruit Leaonna Odom lasts, at most, two years.

PostPosted: 04/01/16 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
POLOinMD wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Durantula wrote:
Kaydra Duckett and Jatarie White are transferring from South Carolina. White was a McDonald's All American in 2014.

. . .and much less depth at both guard and post, no experienced leadership at guard, and most importantly, even less of a competent point guard than before.

Gray and Davis where both leaders at there last schools. The only issue I see with South Carolina next year is the game plan, Dawn will have a hard time telling Davis more so then Gray when and when not to shoot.

And I certainly wouldn't call Davis a "leader" unless you mean in numbe if shots attempted.

Good luck with Davis, her mother will kill the team if her babe don't shoot 50% of all shots.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/01/16 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Two quality players ... and young ones ... leave Duke.

Presumably both will stay on the East Coast ...

A guess based on nothing but history: Prize recruit Leaonna Odom lasts, at most, two years.

Salvadores is turning pro, evidently.

Odom might stay longer, after all McCallie may be gone before two years.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/01/16 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

BITE YOUR TONGUE!!!!

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/01/16 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lvf08 wrote:
Not surprised...

The other shoe hasn't dropped yet...

~rAf
Queenie

PostPosted: 04/01/16 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

Or she could follow big sister's example. Wink

PostPosted: 04/01/16 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Azura Stevens isn't transferring because of lack of playing time, to be closer to home (Raleigh, NC), or a desire to go pro. She must want to be in a more successful program.

Transferring to another ACC school is probably out. Based mainly on cleromancy, I predict Stevens will transfer to a non-ACC school currently attended by one of her USAB U19 teammates or coaches.
PRballer

PostPosted: 04/01/16 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Azura Stevens isn't transferring because of lack of playing time, to be closer to home (Raleigh, NC), or a desire to go pro. She must want to be in a more successful program.

Transferring to another ACC school is probably out. Based mainly on cleromancy, I predict Stevens will transfer to a non-ACC school currently attended by one of her USAB U19 teammates or coaches.

Ah! Her sister Da'shena was pretty successful under Kim Barnes Arico at St. John's....so maybe she'll become a Wolverine? I like that.

Other guesses would be Connecticut, Maryland or South Carolina. Agree ACC is probably out.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/01/16 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

There is only one valid conclusion a person can reach from these two players leaving and their statements about leaving: the Duke coach flat out SUCKS. All those on rebkells who have for whatever warped reason have loved to defend this coach - it's time to give up. I strongly suspect their only motivation was the desire to be irritating to the already suffering Duke fans. The players are speaking with their feet as the fans have been doing.

Azura' Stevens did her homework and figured out her potential earnings IF SHE DEVELOPS HER GAME EACH YEAR. Put simple - for her she was risking her future by staying at Duke. I am on record predicting her departure as well as Angela's. Neither one could afford to stay at Duke due to how playing for this coach would cost them in lifetime earnings.

~rAf
greatgator

PostPosted: 04/01/16 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

There is only one valid conclusion a person can reach from these two players leaving and their statements about leaving: the Duke coach flat out SUCKS. All those on rebkells who have for whatever warped reason have loved to defend this coach - it's time to give up. I strongly suspect their only motivation was the desire to be irritating to the already suffering Duke fans. The players are speaking with their feet as the fans have been doing.

Azura' Stevens did her homework and figured out her potential earnings IF SHE DEVELOPS HER GAME EACH YEAR. Put simple - for her she was risking her future by staying at Duke. I am on record predicting her departure as well as Angela's. Neither one could afford to stay at Duke due to how playing for this coach would cost them in lifetime earnings.

I don't know that about the lifetime earnings concern, but I'm convinced that Duke WBB under McCallie's watch is like a sinking ship.
Azura is also recovering from an Achilles injury, and those take time to fully heal. Sitting out a year may be the best thing for her physical health in the long run.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 04/01/16 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Ah! Her sister Da'shena was pretty successful under Kim Barnes Arico at St. John's....so maybe she'll become a Wolverine? I like that.

Other guesses would be Connecticut, Maryland or South Carolina. Agree ACC is probably out.

SC is having enough problems right now with its recent transfers and Geno is not in the habit of accepting transfers but you never know as his only two transfers were Natalie Butler from Georgetown and Brittany Hunter from Duke. Agree with Maryland or Michigan as possible landing spots.

PostPosted: 04/01/16 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
PRballer wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

SC is having enough problems right now with its recent transfers and Geno is not in the habit of accepting transfers but you never know as his only two transfers were Natalie Butler from Georgetown and Brittany Hunter from Duke. Agree with Maryland or Michigan as possible landing spots.

Not sure Maryland has room. If she transfers to Maryland, she would need a scholarship this fall even though she is unable to play until the following fall. Of course if Maryland gets an opening because a player transfers, then there's room.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/01/16 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
POLOinMD wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Durantula wrote:

And I certainly wouldn't call Davis a "leader" unless you mean in number of shots attempted.

Didn't Gray play a lot of point at UNC? Maybe in tandem with Cuevas, Dawn has a plan...??? Can't say pg was a forte this year, tho, either.

PostPosted: 04/02/16 12:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
There is only one valid conclusion a person can reach from these two players leaving and their statements about leaving: the Duke coach flat out SUCKS.

rAf, take a minute here and tell us how you REALLY feel! Shocked Of course, I kept thinking and thinking, over the season, how Azura NEEDED desperately to be out of that program, for her own good. I'm glad it's happened. [That said, I think she'd make a dynamic 4 player to Oklahoma's 6'9" incoming frosh, Mulkey. Dreaming's Free, right? Cool ]

What I find IMMENSELY puzzling is how such a program of such (past) renown could l.i.n.g.e.r. on so long, in such obvious distress, with no remediation in sight. What level of Bad Karma did Duke attain to be the scene of such a travesty? And then, there's the Tobacco Road rival, UNC, in the shitter too. Shocked 2 former powerhouses, in a historically rich rivalry, going down the tubes together.

All of this topic aside, I must express my thanks to all of you who take the time to scour the various media, and condense the Good Stuff into a palatable 10 minute read.

PostPosted: 04/02/16 2:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
Sophomore Whitney Jennings and freshman Tagyn Larson are leaving the Iowa Hawkeye basketball program. Larson, a 6'2 wing out of South Dakota redshirted. Jennings started in 62 of 67 games for Iowa and this past season averaged 9 ppg and 3 apg. Says she wants to be closer to home.

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/whitney-jennings-transferring-from-iowa-20160323

Word is that Jennings will be transferring to Butler. She will help them quite a bit.

Also speculation she will go NAIA and play at aid kana Wesleyan.

Translation please?

I believe that was a typo for Indiana Wesleyan University in Kokomo, 26.3 miles from her hometown of Logansport, Indiana. Butler University in Indianapolis is 67.5 miles away.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 04/02/16 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
PRballer wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

South Carolina is being rumored as a possible transfer destination. By the way, UConn also accepted Jess McCormack as a transfer. (I read that over on the Boneyard.)

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/02/16 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She won't get to do this but if I was a recruit I'd want to see how South Carolina integrates Kaela Davis into their system before deciding to play there. She is a high volume shooter and I wonder if that will work at SC given that their posts are so good. Also Stevens will be eligible after Coates leaves. Stevns doesn't seem like a true 5 especially in the rough and tough SEC, she would rather be more of a face up 4 but Wilson is also in the same boat. In general the style of play in the SEC seems not to be conducive to Stevens' strengths. Grind it out, lower scoring half court games don't seem to play to her strengths.

Maybe Pac 12 or Big 10 schools are worth a look since she cant play in the ACC now unless she wants to sit out 2 years.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 04/02/16 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

deleted.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 04/02/16 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
She won't get to do this but if I was a recruit I'd want to see how South Carolina integrates Kaela Davis into their system before deciding to play there. She is a high volume shooter and I wonder if that will work at SC given that their posts are so good. Also Stevens will be eligible after Coates leaves. Stevns doesn't seem like a true 5 especially in the rough and tough SEC, she would rather be more of a face up 4 but Wilson is also in the same boat. In general the style of play in the SEC seems not to be conducive to Stevens' strengths. Grind it out, lower scoring half court games don't seem to play to her strengths.

Maybe Pac 12 or Big 10 schools are worth a look since she cant play in the ACC now unless she wants to sit out 2 years.

With Coates and Wilson can not see Stevens playing behind them or being displaced and playing a position she is not familiar with.You are right with Davis there won't be enough basketballs to go around. Not a good fit.

Last edited by Oldfandepot2 on 04/02/16 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 04/02/16 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:

What is the rule for intra-conference transfers in the ACC? It may be that she has to sit out only a single year, but she loses a year of eligibility in doing so. Thus if she transfers to an ACC school, she would have a single year of eligibility left, whereas if she transferred out of conference, she would still have to sit out a year, but would have 2 years of eligibility remaining. If that is true, would that be much of a deterrent? Would Azura want to stay at a school for a 5th year if she were eligible to go to the WNBA and she had already received her degree?

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 04/02/16 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Durantula wrote:

What is the rule for intra-conference transfers in the ACC? It may be that she has to sit out only a single year, but she loses a year of eligibility in doing so. Thus if she transfers to an ACC school, she would have a single year of eligibility left, whereas if she transferred out of conference, she would still have to sit out a year, but would have 2 years of eligibility remaining. If that is true, would that be much of a deterrent? Would Azura want to stay at a school for a 5th year if she were eligible to go to the WNBA and she had already received her degree?

She has as stated an Achilles injury so sitting out a year is no problem. If her intent is to grow her game before becoming eligible for the WNBA draft then having the option to stay or not to grow her game would be a plus. However if she has already decided that come hell or high water she is leaving after four years then that option is mute. We frankly don't know.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 13 of 16

Jump to: