RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2015-2016 Transfers and Injuries
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis4632

PostPosted: 04/02/16 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
Durantula wrote:
She won't get to do this but if I was a recruit I'd want to see how South Carolina integrates Kaela Davis into their system before deciding to play there. She is a high volume shooter and I wonder if that will work at SC given that their posts are so good. Also Stevens will be eligible after Coates leaves. Stevns doesn't seem like a true 5 especially in the rough and tough SEC, she would rather be more of a face up 4 but Wilson is also in the same boat. In general the style of play in the SEC seems not to be conducive to Stevens' strengths. Grind it out, lower scoring half court games don't seem to play to her strengths.

Maybe Pac 12 or Big 10 schools are worth a look since she cant play in the ACC now unless she wants to sit out 2 years.

With Coates and Wilson can not see Stevens playing behind them or being displaced and playing a position she is not familiar with.You are right with Davis there won't be enough basketballs to go around. Not a good fit.

Barring injury, Coates (a senior) will be gone when Stevens is elibigle to play. I agree with the rest of the your post.
X

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/02/16 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Durantula wrote:
She won't get to do this but if I was a recruit I'd want to see how South Carolina integrates Kaela Davis into their system before deciding to play there. She is a high volume shooter and I wonder if that will work at SC given that their posts are so good. Also Stevens will be eligible after Coates leaves. Stevns doesn't seem like a true 5 especially in the rough and tough SEC, she would rather be more of a face up 4 but Wilson is also in the same boat. In general the style of play in the SEC seems not to be conducive to Stevens' strengths. Grind it out, lower scoring half court games don't seem to play to her strengths.

Maybe Pac 12 or Big 10 schools are worth a look since she cant play in the ACC now unless she wants to sit out 2 years.

What is the rule for intra-conference transfers in the ACC? It may be that she has to sit out only a single year, but she loses a year of eligibility in doing so. Thus if she transfers to an ACC school, she would have a single year of eligibility left, whereas if she transferred out of conference, she would still have to sit out a year, but would have 2 years of eligibility remaining. If that is true, would that be much of a deterrent? Would Azura want to stay at a school for a 5th year if she were eligible to go to the WNBA and she had already received her degree?

She has as stated an Achilles injury so sitting out a year is no problem. If her intent is to grow her game before becoming eligible for the WNBA draft then having the option to stay or not to grow her game would be a plus. However if she has already decided that come hell or high water she is leaving after four years then that option is mute. We frankly don't know.

I don't know where this rumor started about Azura' having an Achilles injury. She had a tear of her plantar fascia. She will definitely benefit from having time to fully heal, but should not need a whole year.

~rAf
Queenie

PostPosted: 04/02/16 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will be very disappointed in Stevens if she picks South Carolina, and very, VERY, suspicious of Dawn Staley. She's picked up an awful lot of high-profile transfers very quickly.

PostPosted: 04/02/16 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I will be very disappointed in Stevens if she picks South Carolina, and very, VERY, suspicious of Dawn Staley. She's picked up an awful lot of high-profile transfers very quickly.

The only suspicious part (imo) would be, Why in HELL would a player like Azura want to go to a place like SC, where they've just lost a highly-ranked post player (White) to attrition/lack of playing time....but again, Coates will be gone til Azura is eligible. Who knowz?

Re: the 'other' high profile transfers (Gray, Davis?) I'm thinking they probably wanted SC more than SC needed them, no?

PostPosted: 04/02/16 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Queenie wrote:

The only suspicious part (imo) would be, Why in HELL would a player like Azura want to go to a place like SC, where they've just lost a highly-ranked post player (White) to attrition/lack of playing time....but again, Coates will be gone til Azura is eligible. Who knowz?

Re: the 'other' high profile transfers (Gray, Davis?) I'm thinking they probably wanted SC more than SC needed them, no?

The surprising thing is of their high profile transfers no other schools had a chance, they took a visit to SC and that was it, you never heard about other visits, other schools in contention. When that happens people tend tio suspect these things are worked out prior to the transfer being made public which is not really kosher.

greatgator

PostPosted: 04/02/16 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:

I don't know where this rumor started about Azura' having an Achilles injury. She had a tear of her plantar fascia. She will definitely benefit from having time to fully heal, but should not need a whole year.

My error, I apologize.
I think I had been reading about the Duke quarterback who suffered his second achilles injury and mis spoke.

sammieee

PostPosted: 04/03/16 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Not really, SC hasn't recruited well outside of the 2014 class. They will need a monster 2017 and 2018 class if they want to stay in the Top 10 after Wilson graduates. Landing Stevens may help a bit if she decides to stay 2 years, otherwise, it will be a team full of freshman and sophomores after 2018.

They are still in the running for a pretty good PG Tyasha Harris for the c/o 2016. If they somehow land her and Stevens, puts the pressure slightly off Dawn to reel in a huge 2017/2018 class.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 04/03/16 1:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

If they had not transferred SC's starting wings next year would probably be Cuevas and Cliney, with a freshman starting at point. By elite or any standards, that's a very weak backcourt.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/03/16 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Howee wrote:

If they had not transferred SC's starting wings next year would probably be Cuevas and Cliney, with a freshman starting at point. By elite or any standards, that's a very weak backcourt.

It's still a weak backcourt. Recruiting stars don't tell the whole story.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 04/03/16 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
Howee wrote:

What's the whole story?

Dawn's problem is that she's depending on North Carolina and South Carolina for elite players and those states don't produce that type of players every year. There will be 1 to 3 year window where there's elite players in those states and then there's a at least a 3 year drop off until elite talent rises again. Not to mention that she has to keep other schools from getting those players as well. She pulled out all the stops just to keep A'ja Wilson from the state and ending up at UConn or UNC.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/03/16 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
Howee wrote:

What's the whole story?

Dawn's problem is that she's depending on North Carolina and South Carolina for elite players and those states don't produce that type of players every year. There will be 1 to 3 year window where there's elite players in those states and then there's a at least a 3 year drop off until elite talent rises again. Not to mention that she has to keep other schools from getting those players as well. She pulled out all the stops just to keep A'ja Wilson from the state and ending up at UConn or UNC.

The whole story is that the two transfers were very highly rated out of HS, but they don't fill SCar's gaping hole at pg. Davis is certainly neither a pg nor a floor leader. I like Gray as a player and she can provide leadership, but she's not a pg or a quarterback for the team.

SCar was already hurting at pg this year and now lost everyone resembling a competent pg to graduation. They also lost their floor leader in Mitchell and have to hope Gray can fill that void. Roy jacked up 17 shots in their tournament loss (while Coates only got 7 shots even though she made every one of them); I'm sure Davis will be happy to fill that jack-it-up role. And that leaves the ball in the hands of Cuevas. She'll have to go into sleep in a cocoon this summer and come out as a beautiful pg butterfly for SCar to not have an even bigger problem at guard than they had this year.

So they added a lot of recruiting stars but did not fully solve their problem with those additions.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/03/16 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Come West young woman...where the air is fresh and clean.

- Amanda Gorman
Durantula

PostPosted: 04/04/16 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lauren Saiki is transferring out of West Virginia. California player

Durantula

PostPosted: 04/04/16 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mikala McGhee is transferring from George Mason, 5th year immediately eligible player.

Aliyah Kirkpatrick transferring from Winthrop, immediately eligible.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/04/16 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not a transfer, but per Twitter, Aerial Powers is foregoing her senior season at MSU and declaring for the WNBA draft.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/05/16 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good for her, i guess, but i don't like to see talent leave the college game.

PostPosted: 04/05/16 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

Neither do I. Has she graduated? A lot of players do graduate in 3 years because they're on campus during the summer.

PostPosted: 04/05/16 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Neither do I. Has she graduated? A lot of players do graduate in 3 years because they're on campus during the summer.

She tore her Achilles prior to her freshman year and sat out 2012-13. This concluded her 4th year on campus. I have no idea if she got her degree or not.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/05/16 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

She tore her Achilles prior to her freshman year and sat out 2012-13. This concluded her 4th year on campus. I have no idea if she got her degree or not.

It's said she'll get her degree in May. Despite missing her frosh season and some games this year she is still the all time leading scorer for Spartan women's basketball.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/05/16 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

It's said she'll get her degree in May. Despite missing her frosh season and some games this year she is still the all time leading scorer for Spartan women's basketball.

Well then, there is no REAL reason for her to stay if she does not intend at this time to get a graduate degree. People don't need to get on her case.

PostPosted: 04/05/16 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Well then, there is no REAL reason for her to stay if she does not intend at this time to get a graduate degree. People don't need to get on her case.

Agreed...and I don't think people should get on her even if she wasn't getting her degree. I mean, her lifelong dream has been to play professional basketball and it's finally staring her in the face. Even if she makes half of the max a player can get paid ($107k is max), she will still make more than a vast majority of Americans today. Not to mention she can make some big money in a foreign league.

How do you fault someone when they can realize their dream?

Though it isn't easy, people can always go back and get their degree if they so desire.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/05/16 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Agreed...and I don't think people should get on her even if she wasn't getting her degree. I mean, her lifelong dream has been to play professional basketball and it's finally staring her in the face. Even if she makes half of the max a player can get paid ($107k is max), she will still make more than a vast majority of Americans today. Not to mention she can make some big money in a foreign league.

How do you fault someone when they can realize their dream?

Though it isn't easy, people can always go back and get their degree if they so desire.

Well, being the daughter of a university professor, I have a somewhat different view on this than you do, I expect. I don't like colleges being used as recruiting farms for the pros (either sex, any sport) and think the pros should develop their own damn minor league systems at their own expense. Period. Universities are for learning.
That said, I have nothing against athletic scholarships, BUT the students being awarded them should have the ability and intentions of earning a degree in something. If a student finishes his/her degree prior to finishing out their eligibility and wishes to go pro, as Aerial Powers seems about to (and as Candace Parker did) then there is no reason s/he should not go ahead. Conversely, if s/he has finished his/her eligibility but not yet finished the degree, for whatever reason, then let them go pro and come back later. But the "one and done" stuff is abominable on the men's side and I'd hate to see it start on the women's. These ridiculous "agreements" between the pros and the NCAA are bullshit.

PostPosted: 04/09/16 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Juniors-to-be Jasmine Cincore and Nat Romeo have asked for and received a release from Nebraska. Cincore is from Memphis and Romeo is from Northern California.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/09/16 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Juniors-to-be Jasmine Cincore and Nat Romeo have asked for and received a release from Nebraska. Cincore is from Memphis and Romeo is from Northern California.

big loss, especially Romeo.

- Amanda Gorman
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/09/16 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

big loss, especially Romeo.

Romeo has actually claimed to be in a wait-and-see mode, waiting to see who the Huskers hire. But she has said some things about her teammates that are non to flattering following Yori's departure so I don't see her staying.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: