RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tarheels' Short Bench

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ripleydc

PostPosted: 08/26/15 7:09 am    ::: Tarheels' Short Bench Reply Reply with quote

Only 9 players listed on UNC's 2015-16 roster, and that includes one transfer who isn't eligible until 2016-17 season. Shocked

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 08/26/15 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Focusing on the positive, just look at all the scholarship room!

Yeah, the defections have devastated the program. Have the students enrolled now, or could there be more last second defections? Watts and Walker both look good, so it would have been a very nice freshman class if Willock had enrolled as planned. Another positive is that these young players will get lots of playing time.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 08/26/15 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If they're on the roster now in late August, I assume all 9 are enrolled.

True, they have a couple of pretty highly-ranked freshmen who will definitely see lots and lots of playing time. Good for them.

A few years back, Maryland was down to 7 healthy players (attrition from injuries) for a good part of the season. It worked OK for a while, but by tournament time, all those minutes took their toll and that's when the short bench really hurt.

ACC's a tough conference, playing with such a short bench will not be easy. And all 8 better stay healthy, all season!!!

Davis4632

PostPosted: 08/26/15 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Focusing on the positive,[/B] just look at all the scholarship room![/B]

Yeah, the defections have devastated the program. Have the students enrolled now, or could there be more last second defections? Watts and Walker both look good, so it would have been a very nice freshman class if Willock had enrolled as planned. Another positive is that these young players will get lots of playing time.

UNC has 7 verbals for the 2016 class and 3 of them gave their verbal within the past 3 days. Most of them are 3 star players that will need to be coached up and I'm not sure they will get it.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/26/15 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This could get real ugly real quick.

PostPosted: 08/27/15 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hopefully this will give Erika Johnson a chance to finally make an impact.

She was considered one of the best players ever out of Washington and the #21 recruit in the land when she went first to Cal, then to UNC and got hurt.

Like to see her get some minutes her senior year. Perhaps she will shine as once expected.

willtalk

PostPosted: 08/28/15 3:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see why having a short bench should create that much difficulty. They could just add a few chairs. I mean most teams don't sit on benches anymore anyway so they could just lose the short bench entirely and use all chairs.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/07/15 12:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

It's been ugly for quite awhile over in Chapel Hill. Sylvia getting her comeuppance, which from what I've read, is a long time coming. Jim Davis, formerly of Clemson, should be first in the applause line. We've known about her negative, anti-gay recruiting, but that's just the tip of iceberg Sylvia. She's been playing with a house of cards and it's time for it to fall.

I am not okay with WBB taking the brunt for all the antics pulled at UNC for many years. I hope the Hatch leaves to protect her health.

~rAf
#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 09/08/15 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

It's been ugly for quite awhile over in Chapel Hill. Sylvia getting her comeuppance, which from what I've read, is a long time coming. Jim Davis, formerly of Clemson, should be first in the applause line. We've known about her negative, anti-gay recruiting, but that's just the tip of iceberg Sylvia. She's been playing with a house of cards and it's time for it to fall.

I am not okay with WBB taking the brunt for all the antics pulled at UNC for many years. I hope the Hatch leaves to protect her health.

Anti-gay recruiting? Can't be true.
PRballer

PostPosted: 09/08/15 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Supposedly Hatchell has had no problem recruiting gay players for her own program. There has been hints and rumors (from others, no I) of negative recruiting towards other programs.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 09/09/15 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Supposedly Hatchell has had no problem recruiting gay players for her own program. There has been hints and rumors (from others, no I) of negative recruiting towards other programs.

Okay thanks, I get it now.
Howee

PostPosted: 09/13/15 12:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:

I'm not clear on how that makes sense....looking at Sylvia, I can't imagine any recruit/parent 'believing' her about ANOTHER programs 'gayness'?? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 09/13/15 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
...looking at Sylvia, I can't imagine any recruit/parent 'believing' her about ANOTHER programs 'gayness'?? Rolling Eyes

What does this mean?

Howee

PostPosted: 09/13/15 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greatgator wrote:
Howee wrote:
...looking at Sylvia, I can't imagine any recruit/parent 'believing' her about ANOTHER programs 'gayness'?? Rolling Eyes

What does this mean?

Think about it: the implication in the post to which I responded is that Sylvia might be telling prospective recruits/parents that *They* (the other competing programs) are more tolerant of lesbians in their program, whether it's players or coaches, as if that's a Bad Thing. ("There has been hints and rumors (from others, no I) of negative recruiting towards other programs.")
That would be tantamount to Sylvia throwing Big Rocks from the deck of her Glass House. Simple, really.

PostPosted: 09/14/15 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Sylvia throwing Big Rocks from the deck of her Glass House. Simple, really.

I guess I'm not clued in enough to know what this means either.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: