RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Next generation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/15/15 1:37 pm    ::: Next generation Reply Reply with quote

I'd be interested in who people think might be the next generation of really good WBB head coaches. Some might be assistants now, or coaching at mid-majors or maybe are even still playing. I know Niele Ivey has been mentioned in previous threads as a possible candidate here and there, but she hasn't yet shown an inclination to leave Notre Dame, and a lot of the "possibles" won't want to leave where they are just yet, but the day will come, because the current top coaches won't coach forever.

One who's always looked like a real possibility to me is Kyra Elzy, currently associate head coach at Tennessee. She's a good recruiter and doesn't seem to ever lose her cool. It wouldn't surprise me to see her in the ranks of head coaches one day, although I'd hate to see her leave the Lady Vols. I wonder if maybe Michele Van Gorp won't make a move sooner or later too. She seems to be highly thought of by the players. Kellie Harper maybe got catapulted into the ranks of the majors a little too soon, but she's building a nice program at Missouri State and possibly could move back up to the majors in a few years if she wants to. As for current players, I've always thought point guards make pretty good coaches so I naturally think of someone like Sue Bird, who seems to have the temperament for it. I'm not mentioning Jen Rizzotti because she does not seem to have shown the slightest inclination to move one inch from Hartford.

PostPosted: 08/15/15 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unless things have changed Elzy it is my understanding that Elzy has never wanted to be a head coach. Shocked She would be a really good one.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/15/15 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

~UK~ wrote:
Unless things have changed Elzy it is my understanding that Elzy has never wanted to be a head coach. Shocked She would be a really good one.

Maybe not now. Ten years down the road things could change.

PostPosted: 08/15/15 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thank Tennessee Dean Lockwood would make a great head coach.

dtrain34

PostPosted: 08/16/15 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tamara Inoue at New Mexico State. Associate Head Coach and handles a lot of important duties for a mid-major champion squad.

~UK~

PostPosted: 08/16/15 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amber Smith at La Tech will be a good coach.

Queenie

PostPosted: 08/16/15 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to seeing what Stephanie Oliver does in her first HC job over at LIU.

(I also think Megan Duffy and Joy McCorvey will be fantastic head coaches someday, but I acknowledge my biases in this matter.)

(now with spelling variations)
Durantula

PostPosted: 08/16/15 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just some hypotheticals about some of these up and comers.

If a UConn assistant took a job at say Boston College, would they have success recruiting?

Could Kyra Elzy beat out Tennessee for recruits if she was at Vanderbilt? Could Niele Ivey beat out Notre Dame for recruits if she was at Purdue or Indiana?

In women's basketball I feel like the same programs recruit well even when they lose assistants. In men's basketball I think its different because many schools recruit elite players. Its challenging to see an assistant recruit well at a power school and assume it will work when you take them away from Tennessee's tradition, Duke's academics or whatever. Case in point, Duke has lost a bunch of assistants but no matter who is on their staff they recruit at an elite level. Al Brown is away so they have DOBO on the trail, they lose Stafford-Odom, Cheek, and whoever and it doesn't even matter. So in the end its hard to tell how important an individual assistant is in all of this.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 08/16/15 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As far as current WNBA players go, Taurasi, Catchings, Bird, Whalen, Taylor and Vandersloot are the names that jump out at me as having what it takes to be great coaches. They all understand the game so well.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/16/15 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Its challenging to see an assistant recruit well at a power school and assume it will work when you take them away from Tennessee's tradition, Duke's academics or whatever.

Depends on the assistant. Jeff Walz seems to be competing with Maryland just fine. Cori Close at UCLA is recruiting about as well as Florida State.

PostPosted: 08/16/15 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Double

PostPosted: 08/16/15 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Durantula wrote:
Its challenging to see an assistant recruit well at a power school and assume it will work when you take them away from Tennessee's tradition, Duke's academics or whatever.

Depends on the assistant. Jeff Walz seems to be competing with Maryland just fine. Cori Close at UCLA is recruiting about as well as Florida State.

I'm not saying it never happens but just saying its hard to predict. Walz was aided by conference realignment but no doubt he has been great. If Louisville was in the ACC at the time they were hiring, maybe they don't even hire him given his lack of HC experience, but Louisville job wasn't as good when Walz took it. About UCLA, I'm not really sold on them yet. FSU would be rated higher if scouts ranked overseas players because their best players are from Spain and Canada. Just watching UCLA last year its hard to objectively say they were more talented. The rankings would tell you that but I'd take FSU's roster over UCLA's.

And while MD and FSU recruit well I was thinking of schools that either have such strong tradition (UConn, Tenn) and/or elite academics (ND, Duke), that make recruiting so consistent regardless of 1 assistant leaving.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/16/15 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:

If a UConn assistant took a job at say Boston College, would they have success recruiting?

Could Kyra Elzy beat out Tennessee for recruits if she was at Vanderbilt? Could Niele Ivey beat out Notre Dame for recruits if she was at Purdue or Indiana?

In women's basketball I feel like the same programs recruit well even when they lose assistants. In men's basketball I think its different because many schools recruit elite players. Its challenging to see an assistant recruit well at a power school and assume it will work when you take them away from Tennessee's tradition, Duke's academics or whatever. Case in point, Duke has lost a bunch of assistants but no matter who is on their staff they recruit at an elite level. Al Brown is away so they have DOBO on the trail, they lose Stafford-Odom, Cheek, and whoever and it doesn't even matter. So in the end its hard to tell how important an individual assistant is in all of this.

I strongly doubt that Elzy would ever go anywhere near Vandy. Their program is not her style. Elsewhere in the SEC, maybe, or totally out of the SEC would be my bet. She's a Kentucky girl, but I don't see her at UK or Louisville as those seem to be pretty well sewed up for the foreseeable future. Same thing, but a different venue, for Ivey. They're both well known and pretty well respected in the WBB world. Ivey, for instance, might do well at a top Big East school--and wasn't she also mentioned in connection with Minnesota a while back? There are a lot of other factors at work besides where they played college ball, or where they currently reside.

PostPosted: 08/17/15 6:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Durantula wrote:

I strongly doubt that Elzy would ever go anywhere near Vandy. Their program is not her style. Elsewhere in the SEC, maybe, or totally out of the SEC would be my bet. She's a Kentucky girl, but I don't see her at UK or Louisville as those seem to be pretty well sewed up for the foreseeable future. Same thing, but a different venue, for Ivey. They're both well known and pretty well respected in the WBB world. Ivey, for instance, might do well at a top Big East school--and wasn't she also mentioned in connection with Minnesota a while back? There are a lot of other factors at work besides where they played college ball, or where they currently reside.

IMHO IF Kyra eventually becomes a HC she could EASILY end up at UK. Can't say many coaching jobs are sewn up for the foreseeable future!

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/17/15 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The five most important qualities for coaching success are: recruiting, recruiting, recruiting, recruiting and recruiting. Recruiting power is a necessary but not sufficient condition for coaching stardom.

So, the star head coaches of the future will be the best recruiters from the current ranks of assistant coaches, head coaches at smaller schools, and those who are still playing.

Recruiting power can be seen in coaches such as Kevin McGuff and, at a lower level, Courtney Banghart.

There is a problem for the next generation of potential great recruiters -- the very tiny talent pool of elite WBB players. As long as the current top recruiters are soaking up almost that entire pool year after year, there's never much top talent left for the next generation of star coaches to recruit in order to prove themselves.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/17/15 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would like to see her get out from under Curry's shadow at Alabama and try working for someone else for different experience, but Shereka Wright is another one to keep an eye on. She has a decade of experience in major conferences (though minor programs in those conferences) and knows the game incredibly well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: