RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2015-2016 Coaches Hot Seat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 12/29/15 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

grrlagent wrote:
Queenie wrote:
How is Nikki formerly-Caldwell-but-I-can't-remember-her-married-name-right-now able to sit down on a seat as hot as the surface of the sun?

We. Are. Screwed. LSU that is....we won't be getting rid of Fargas anytime soon after Alleva's epic mis-handling of the Les Miles situation. LSU basketball is in a tailspin we won't soon recover from. Sue Gunter is turning over in her grave.

They never should have fired Pokey Chatman

PostPosted: 12/29/15 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
grrlagent wrote:
Queenie wrote:
How is Nikki formerly-Caldwell-but-I-can't-remember-her-married-name-right-now able to sit down on a seat as hot as the surface of the sun?

We. Are. Screwed. LSU that is....we won't be getting rid of Fargas anytime soon after Alleva's epic mis-handling of the Les Miles situation. LSU basketball is in a tailspin we won't soon recover from. Sue Gunter is turning over in her grave.

Uhhhhh she was sleeping with a girl on the team from what I recall. I don't think the athletic department had a choice. Lol.

PRballer

PostPosted: 12/30/15 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
pilight wrote:
grrlagent wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Uhhhhh she was sleeping with a girl on the team from what I recall. I don't think the athletic department had a choice. Lol.

Previous team! Not the same. Very Happy

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 12/30/15 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
pilight wrote:
grrlagent wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Previous team! Not the same. Very Happy

Even so. That's a PR nightmare.

Durantula

PostPosted: 01/04/16 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is an unusual year thus far, almost all of the coaches people would think are on the hot seat are having career years or just have some big wins. Auburn knocks off previously undefeated Kentucky. Virginia Tech upsets Tennessee, Virginia blows out Miami in the 1st ACC game, Florida off to a strong start this year.

I think maybe the more interesting thing to watch is retirements, some coaches are getting up there in age and at the same time are going to be graduating some of their better players without bringing in top recruits, so their outlook may change things.

But strictly hot seat, hard to think of any obvious candidates right now except Arizona. Illinois came to mind but I think they have an interim AD so that makes things tricky.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 01/05/16 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
This is an unusual year thus far, almost all of the coaches people would think are on the hot seat are having career years or just have some big wins. Auburn knocks off previously undefeated Kentucky. Virginia Tech upsets Tennessee, Virginia blows out Miami in the 1st ACC game, Florida off to a strong start this year.

I think maybe the more interesting thing to watch is retirements, some coaches are getting up there in age and at the same time are going to be graduating some of their better players without bringing in top recruits, so their outlook may change things.

But strictly hot seat, hard to think of any obvious candidates right now except Arizona. Illinois came to mind but I think they have an interim AD so that makes things tricky.

Terri Williams-Flournoy certainly helped her odds by Auburn upsetting Kentucky Sunday. However, the seat is still very warm and a blowout loss to Miss State this week would undo that good will in a hurry. Due to a lack of quality recruiting, depth is a major issue.

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/06/16 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And Arizona just beat Cal ...

PostPosted: 01/20/16 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The first coaching change has occurred. futureisbright can start up the new coaching changes thread now. Does a great job with it each year. It looks pretty bad that the interim coach is an assistant coach from the men's program. No one from the women's staff could just finish out the season? The men's coach recruited none of these players, probably has never coached women and has no idea about personnel from their future opponents like you'd think a WBB assistant would know.

http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/norfolk-state/basketball/norfolk-state-ousts-women-s-basketball-coach/article_c463195b-6ece-58bd-8c26-3c47866880bb.html

Norfolk State womens basketball coach Debra Clark has been relieved of her duties and reassigned within the athletic department, the school announced Wednesday.

Larry Vickers, the top assistant coach in the NSU mens program, will assume the role of interim head womens coach for the rest of the season.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 01/20/16 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I found the following from the article to be interesting:

Quote:
Vickers, who is in his eighth season at the school, will continue to assist with the mens program. Assistant womens coach Lou Hamilton and graduate assistant Kquanise Byrd will continue in their roles with the womens team.

Assistant womens coach Lashondra Dixon-Gordon will be reassigned along with Clark.

Vickers "is very familiar not only with the mens basketball players, but the womens team as well, Miller said. This will give us some continuity with the student-athletes in order to complete the season.

So, he will keep being an asst with the men while also being the head coach for the women??? WTF?? And he will provide continuity? Again, WTF?

Interesting that an asst will also be reassigned. I have to think there is quite a bit more to this story than just the wins & losses.

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 01/20/16 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On it! Thanks!

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/21/16 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Norfolk State is winless, player Amber Brown was just in a coma for 2 weeks due to diabetes and multiple strokes, and now two coaches are fired with a ludicrous interim plan. I'd hate to be a player on this team.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/21/16 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
The first coaching change has occurred. futureisbright can start up the new coaching changes thread now. Does a great job with it each year. It looks pretty bad that the interim coach is an assistant coach from the men's program. No one from the women's staff could just finish out the season? The men's coach recruited none of these players, probably has never coached women and has no idea about personnel from their future opponents like you'd think a WBB assistant would know.

http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/norfolk-state/basketball/norfolk-state-ousts-women-s-basketball-coach/article_c463195b-6ece-58bd-8c26-3c47866880bb.html

Norfolk State womens basketball coach Debra Clark has been relieved of her duties and reassigned within the athletic department, the school announced Wednesday.

Larry Vickers, the top assistant coach in the NSU mens program, will assume the role of interim head womens coach for the rest of the season.

WTF? This is just plain CRAZY, not to mention STUPID. Not to mention overloading the poor guy. Jeez. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 01/21/16 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

are you insinuating that Cal's Gottlieb is on the hot seat? if so, please lay out your reasons. thanks, Clay.

PostPosted: 01/21/16 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone think the seat is warming up for Joanne P. at Duke? They (and Lady Vols, although less so) seem to be in free fall.

greatgator

PostPosted: 01/21/16 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speebs56 wrote:
Anyone think the seat is warming up for Joanne P. at Duke? They (and Lady Vols, although less so) seem to be in free fall.

I wish, but her contract runs through the 2018-2019 season.

3 more years....ugh

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/21/16 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
ClayK wrote:

are you insinuating that Cal's Gottlieb is on the hot seat? if so, please lay out your reasons. thanks, Clay.

Not at all ... but Niya Butts got a win that looked better at the time than it does now. A couple more and maybe she hangs on at Arizona.

PostPosted: 01/22/16 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
scullyfu wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Not at all ... but Niya Butts got a win that looked better at the time than it does now. A couple more and maybe she hangs on at Arizona.

gotcha. thanks for the explanation. i love me some LG. Smile

PostPosted: 01/22/16 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All these speculations assume that there are ADs out there who actually CARE about WBB......

PostPosted: 01/22/16 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
ClayK wrote:
scullyfu wrote:
ClayK wrote:

gotcha. thanks for the explanation. i love me some LG. Smile

That's interesting. You seem to have overlooked some California game threads where Gottlieb is needlessly bashed. Maybe you should provide some input.
http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=86935

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/22/16 1:32 pm    ::: Slightly OT Reply Reply with quote

Caring is relative. This softball coach's AD has made a public statement recently about how much he supports her because of her values and development of student-athletes. The AD is considered to be one of the best in the business. The coach's bio starts with this:

"**** has instilled core values in the **** softball program, developing student-athletes that are successful on the field, in the classroom and in the community. Under ***'s leadership, these values allow her players to not only become successful during their college career, but in their future endeavors as well. As the records indicate, ***'s impact as a mentor and coach has been felt for years in the program she has built into one of the most competitive in the ****(power 5) conference."

Then the record: Under .500 for her entire stint at the school. Last winning season was 2007. Last winning season in conference was 2003. 4 trips to the NCAAs with the last one in 2004.

bullsky

PostPosted: 01/25/16 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure if the Illinois program cares enough to place him in the Hot Seat but Matt Bollant is having another terrible year at Illinois. 8-11, the schedule was not that tough to begin with. He just added a volleyball player to the roster. This is all after the summer/fall filled with allegations of racism/segregation. I've given up on the Illini for the time being because I think they should've canned Bollant. I won't invest in the program again until he's gone.

PostPosted: 01/27/16 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Beating Kentucky was nice - and the overtime period against Arkansas Sunday was nice - but lack of depth on bench - and getting shorter next year...no "big" coming in unless a JUCO shows up.....next year is the last year of her contract (I believe)....IMO we need some staff changes - should have already been done. The bright spot is Alli Smalley-Bracewell on the sidelines.....

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 01/27/16 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

warladytigers wrote:
Beating Kentucky was nice - and the overtime period against Arkansas Sunday was nice - but lack of depth on bench - and getting shorter next year...no "big" coming in unless a JUCO shows up.....next year is the last year of her contract (I believe)....IMO we need some staff changes - should have already been done. The bright spot is Alli Smalley-Bracewell on the sidelines.....

We needed a new recruiting coordinator 2 years ago. You are spot on concerning our glaring lack of an interior game due to not having enough size inside the paint. After we lose Tanner this year, we will really get pushed around.

If you look at the talent level in the program under Fortner and compare that to the team now, it looks like a comparison of a team with SEC caliber talent (Fortner's team) with that of Troy State. Being unwilling to make staff changes will be Williams-Flournoy's undoing at Auburn if things remain as they are. During her introductory presser, Williams-Flournoy said that she had walked into a gold mine in terms of roster and facilities. The facilities are still in place.

I also love seeing Alli involved with the program. I wish she had more input into the team. I have wondered how much pressure it took before she was hired.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/28/16 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Should CV Stringer retire? It seems she and Rutgers are just treading water, mired in mediocrity. For 8 straight years, they've lost betwen 9 and 14 games while either missing the Tournament or exiting early. She has some talent. I don't expect her to land significantly better talent than she has right now. So I doubt she can recruit her way out. But when they start getting killed by Indiana, there are obviously issues.

So is she on the hot seat? How much longer can Rutgers tolerate this level of performance? Or should she just face up to the situation and retire on her own? Maybe Rutgers can make her an Asst AD, or an advisor to the President on women's sports, or something. She's probably earned a soft landing. But they need to do something to break out of this rut. 'Cause right now they are going nowhere.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 01/29/16 1:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

warladytigers wrote:

Break out the blow torch! Gas is cheap again.......Auburn's Terri Williams-Flournoy's seat just got to the scorching brow level of heat. You don't lose to UGA by 30+ and it go unnoticed. She makes a half million bucks for crying out loud.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: