RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

It's time: Top 25
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddubdawg

PostPosted: 08/24/15 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I can be a homer just as easily as anyone else, but I have to ask why is Louisville so high in so many folks' opinions. I looked over their roster and they have 6 freshmen, 3 sophomores and 1 junior. I love me some Coach Walz and what he gets out of what he has, which with these last two classes, is great potential, but that is a lot of youth and remember they are in the ACC now. Is the ACC just not that strong? Are these young players really going to be able to mesh that quickly to be a top 15 program? I think in two years, heck, maybe even one, they will be, but now, that seems like a lot to expect from this team and I love them and always support. Also go Dawgs, as in UW, my other homer team, whom I do expect better things from even with their player losses. Anyway, just wondering.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 08/25/15 4:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Dead Wrong in Public once again:

1. UConn
2. Notre Dame
3. Baylor
4. Texas
5. South Carolina
6. Florida State
7. Ohio State
8. Tennessee
9. Mississippi State
10. Arizona State
11. Duke
12. Louisville
13. Oregon State
14. Maryland
15. South Florida
16. Rutgers
17. Texas A&M
18. Kentucky
19. Florida Gulf Coast
20. Syracuse
21. Green Bay
22. James Madison
23. California
24. Northwestern
25. Chattanooga

That's a solid too 25. Only beef I really have is ASU at #10. I feel like they overachieved last year which was proven in the NCAA tourney. They also lost their best defensive stopper Promise A.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 08/25/15 5:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

1. UConn
2. Notre Dame
3. Baylor
4. Texas
5. South Carolina
6. Florida State
7. Ohio State
8. Tennessee
9. Mississippi State
10. Arizona State
11. Duke
12. Louisville
13. Oregon State
14. Maryland
15. South Florida
16. Rutgers
17. Texas A&M
18. Kentucky
19. Florida Gulf Coast
20. Syracuse
21. Green Bay
22. James Madison
23. California
24. Northwestern
25. Chattanooga

That's a solid too 25. Only beef I really have is ASU at #10. I feel like they overachieved last year which was proven in the NCAA tourney. They also lost their best defensive stopper Promise A.

Overachieved by losing to Florida State by one point? Okay then.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 08/25/15 6:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

1. UConn
2. Notre Dame
3. Baylor
4. Texas
5. South Carolina
6. Florida State
7. Ohio State
8. Tennessee
9. Mississippi State
10. Arizona State
11. Duke
12. Louisville
13. Oregon State
14. Maryland
15. South Florida
16. Rutgers
17. Texas A&M
18. Kentucky
19. Florida Gulf Coast
20. Syracuse
21. Green Bay
22. James Madison
23. California
24. Northwestern
25. Chattanooga

I was going off recollection. My apologies. I still believe they won't even be a top 25 team next year. Promise A was a major contributor to their success. Can't wait to find out!!

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/25/15 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Pac-12 is really confusing this year ... candidates for finishing first: Arizona State, Oregon State, Stanford. Teams that might be pretty good: Cal, UCLA, USC. Wild card: Oregon.

I think they'll wind up beating each other and not getting great seeds in the tournament, but all of those teams mentioned would not be a team I would want to see in the second round.

As for Louisville, I think Jeff Walz is one of the best coaches in the country, and there's talent on the roster. My feeling is he'll get the most out of that talent, pull a couple upsets and do well. That said, the roster is thin and a key injury could do them in.

PostPosted: 08/25/15 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

1. UConn
2. Notre Dame
3. Baylor
4. Texas
5. South Carolina
6. Florida State
7. Ohio State
8. Tennessee
9. Mississippi State
10. Arizona State
11. Duke
12. Louisville
13. Oregon State
14. Maryland
15. South Florida
16. Rutgers
17. Texas A&M
18. Kentucky
19. Florida Gulf Coast
20. Syracuse
21. Green Bay
22. James Madison
23. California
24. Northwestern
25. Chattanooga

I was going off recollection. My apologies. I still believe they won't even be a top 25 team next year. Promise A was a major contributor to their success. Can't wait to find out!!

Going from #8 to outside the top 25 because of the loss of their third leading scorer--seems a bit extreme to me especially given the Sun Devils style of play.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/25/15 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Going from #8 to outside the top 25 because of the loss of their third leading scorer--seems a bit extreme to me especially given the Sun Devils style of play.

Maybe, but it's not like they were a slam dunk top 10 team all year. Mid December they were still unranked, and it was March before they made the top 10. So, did they overperform at the end of last year and might be expected to fall back? Or were they a legit top 10 team all year that just didn't get enough credit? We'll see. But I can understand there being some skepticism.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/25/15 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Charli always gets the most out of what she has, PAC teams hate to play ASU.

I disagree on Walz Clay, I never see improvement in his players and the talent he has reeled in, leave Louisville with the same bad habits, just look at Shimmel, overweight and Angel still dislike her attitude. I think he babies certain players and plays dysfunctional basketball. He and Friese seem to have the same pitch to recruits - "coach said I was the missing piece to the puzzle".

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 08/25/15 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

1. UConn
2. Notre Dame
3. Baylor
4. Texas
5. South Carolina
6. Florida State
7. Ohio State
8. Tennessee
9. Mississippi State
10. Arizona State
11. Duke
12. Louisville
13. Oregon State
14. Maryland
15. South Florida
16. Rutgers
17. Texas A&M
18. Kentucky
19. Florida Gulf Coast
20. Syracuse
21. Green Bay
22. James Madison
23. California
24. Northwestern
25. Chattanooga

She wasn't just their third leading scorer. You should know better than to look at someone based on their scoring. She was their best defensive player and did all of the scrappy stuff. Promise will be a huge roll to fill. And yes I still think they overachieved last year. JMO.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 08/25/15 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

1. UConn
2. Notre Dame
3. Baylor
4. Texas
5. South Carolina
6. Florida State
7. Ohio State
8. Tennessee
9. Mississippi State
10. Arizona State
11. Duke
12. Louisville
13. Oregon State
14. Maryland
15. South Florida
16. Rutgers
17. Texas A&M
18. Kentucky
19. Florida Gulf Coast
20. Syracuse
21. Green Bay
22. James Madison
23. California
24. Northwestern
25. Chattanooga

She wasn't just their third leading scorer. You should know better than to look at someone based on their scoring. She was their best defensive player and did all of the scrappy stuff. Promise will be a huge roll to fill. And yes I still think they overachieved last year. JMO.

See, I think that Promise was important, but given the fact that the Sun Devils essentially played a hockey-style rotation last year, I think that the players behind Promise are better prepared to step into that void, than say most other teams who lost a player of Promise's calibre.

chinafan

PostPosted: 08/25/15 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Here's my quick early shot at a top 25:

1 Connecticut
2 Notre Dame
3 South Carolina
4 Baylor
5 Duke
6 Tennessee
7 Florida State
8 Ohio State
9 Louisville
10 Texas A&M
11 Michigan St
12 Maryland
13 Cal
14 Texas
15 Kentucky
16 Nebraska
17 George Washington
18 Syracuse
19 Oregon St
20 Rutgers
21 Dayton
22 Stanford
23 Arizona St
24 Oklahoma St
25 Northwestern

Cal? After losing Boyd and Gray?

I somehow don't see Cal unseating Oregon State who only loses Ali Gibson this year.

Yes Cal. It's not just who you lose, it's also who you add. Cal has by far the best freshman class and I think Anigwe can be a real difference maker. Maybe even the best center in the PAC as a freshman.

Cal also gets Chen Yue from China who according to ESPN is another 5-star recruit. She never played in FIBA junior competitions but don't be fooled, this may be the best Asian U18 prospect.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 08/25/15 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ohio State will be at least elite eight, if not final four this year.

Amazing amount of talent becoming active this year after injuries and transfers.

One of the top backcourts in the country, led by the most exciting player in the country.

Then addi Mavunga next year too.

McGuff is doing big things quickly. Coach McGraw is proud of his success I'm sure; he's going to be the biggest success in the long run of her coaching tree IMO.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/25/15 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

I disagree on Walz Clay, I never see improvement in his players and the talent he has reeled in, leave Louisville with the same bad habits, just look at Shimmel, overweight and Angel still dislike her attitude. I think he babies certain players and plays dysfunctional basketball. He and Friese seem to have the same pitch to recruits - "coach said I was the missing piece to the puzzle".

Oh right, Schimmel is still just awful in the WNBA. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 08/25/15 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:

Yeah, obviously Angel McCoughtry was the #1 recruit in the country when Louisville landed her. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 08/25/15 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

Amazing amount of talent becoming active this year after injuries and transfers.

One of the top backcourts in the country, led by the most exciting player in the country.

Then add Mavunga next year too.

Wow.... we're on the same page.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
PRballer

PostPosted: 08/25/15 11:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UCLA could be special this year. I like that team and its balance.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 08/26/15 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

McGuff is doing big things quickly. Coach McGraw is proud of his success I'm sure; he's going to be the biggest success in the long run of her coaching tree IMO.

Or maybe he'll become the next Foster at Ohio State. Consistently winning the Big 10 but falling early in NCAA's. Does anyone remember when Xavier was supposed to be that team that made it to the Final Four? Ta'shia Phillips, Amber Harris, Special Jennings, I'm sure that McGuff can get the talent, but can he get over the hurdle? That remains to be seen.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 08/26/15 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

Or maybe he'll become the next Foster at Ohio State. Consistently winning the Big 10 but falling early in NCAA's. Does anyone remember when Xavier was supposed to be that team that made it to the Final Four? Ta'shia Phillips, Amber Harris, Special Jennings, I'm sure that McGuff can get the talent, but can he get over the hurdle? That remains to be seen.

I very well remember the incredible full court sprint by Jeannette Pohlen that allowed Stanford to escape against Xavier. I certainly don't blame McGuff for that. At this point I'm not sold on Ohio State for this season, but McGuff has this team on the right track and it looks like Ohio State and Maryland will be the beasts of the Big 10 for the rest of the decade.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/26/15 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure of your point re Shimmel and McCoughtry Rolling Eyes Thought you would want some rolly eyes to make you feel better. Both players did not improve at Louisville, they came out the same as they went in and with the same bad habits. Neither are particularly good team players, they are very self centered and have shown to have some issues re work ethic for Shimmel and mental issues for McCoughtry.

PRballer

PostPosted: 08/26/15 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

I very well remember the incredible full court sprint by Jeannette Pohlen that allowed Stanford to escape against Xavier. I certainly don't blame McGuff for that. At this point I'm not sold on Ohio State for this season, but McGuff has this team on the right track and it looks like Ohio State and Maryland will be the beasts of the Big 10 for the rest of the decade.

It's way too early to compare McDuff to Foster obviously, but McDuff is already making a huge splash with recruiting. I think they are Sweet 16 this year and Final Four next year (2017) with Mavunga and Hart on the low blocks and Mitchell, Calhoun, Kianna Holland and Shayla Cooper on the wing/backcourt.

Scary talented group of 6 right there if all healthy and that of course doesn't include the other kids on the roster or incoming and future recruits (to be honest, I haven't done that much reading about the others...)

summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/26/15 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Not sure of your point re Shimmel and McCoughtry Rolling Eyes Thought you would want some rolly eyes to make you feel better. Both players did not improve at Louisville, they came out the same as they went in and with the same bad habits. Neither are particularly good team players, they are very self centered and have shown to have some issues re work ethic for Shimmel and mental issues for McCoughtry.

Says the guy whose team is fading....fading...

PostPosted: 08/26/15 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:

It's way too early to compare McDuff to Foster obviously, but McDuff is already making a huge splash with recruiting. I think they are Sweet 16 this year and Final Four next year (2017) with Mavunga and Hart on the low blocks and Mitchell, Calhoun, Kianna Holland and Shayla Cooper on the wing/backcourt.

Scary talented group of 6 right there if all healthy and that of course doesn't include the other kids on the roster or incoming and future recruits (to be honest, I haven't done that much reading about the others...)

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 08/26/15 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Not a bad top ten Clay. I think some are underestimating ND, not sure why but they have been proved wrong before, their returners are good enough to keep them there. After top ten it's a crap shoot and could be a lot of the usual suspects as experience can go a long way.

Allen will really have to step her game up if ND is to make it past the Sweet 16 this year. Turner will get hers, but when teams start to game plan for her someone else will have to step up. Unlike years past Ogunbowale, Patberg, and Mabrey won't play with 2 elite/All Conference guards, Llyod had Diggins and K-Mac, Diggins had Barlow, Schrader, and Lechlitner. Michaela Mabrey will be depended on, but she hasn't been that dependable.
bullsky

PostPosted: 08/26/15 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

1. UConn
2. Notre Dame
3. Baylor
4. Texas
5. South Carolina
6. Florida State
7. Ohio State
8. Tennessee
9. Mississippi State
10. Arizona State
11. Duke
12. Louisville
13. Oregon State
14. Maryland
15. South Florida
16. Rutgers
17. Texas A&M
18. Kentucky
19. Florida Gulf Coast
20. Syracuse
21. Green Bay
22. James Madison
23. California
24. Northwestern
25. Chattanooga

I'm not terribly familiar with either team but are Mississippi St and Arizona St really Top 10? I would switch them out for Maryland and Louisville, but that's just me.

Good list, though! Hoping DePaul can join Northwestern in the Top 25 Very Happy

PostPosted: 08/26/15 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
ClayK wrote:

1. UConn
2. Notre Dame
3. Baylor
4. Texas
5. South Carolina
6. Florida State
7. Ohio State
8. Tennessee
9. Mississippi State
10. Arizona State
11. Duke
12. Louisville
13. Oregon State
14. Maryland
15. South Florida
16. Rutgers
17. Texas A&M
18. Kentucky
19. Florida Gulf Coast
20. Syracuse
21. Green Bay
22. James Madison
23. California
24. Northwestern
25. Chattanooga

I'm not terribly familiar with either team but are Mississippi St and Arizona St really Top 10? I would switch them out for Maryland and Louisville, but that's just me.

Good list, though! Hoping DePaul can join Northwestern in the Top 25 Very Happy

Are you very familiar with Louisville? While they certainly have a ton of talent, it's all concentrated in the sophomore and freshman classes. They have no seniors and only 1 junior (who never averaged more than 3 points/game in her first 2 years). Thus they will almost certainly start only freshmen and sophomores. The only returning starters are sophomores Mariya Moore and Myisha Hines-Allen. They should struggle but the next two years should be amazing. See roster link below:

http://www.gocards.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/lou-w-baskbl-mtt.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: