RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Best statistical "power" frontcourt duo next seaso

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which duo will have the most PPG+RPG+BPG?
UConn: Breanna Stewart & Morgan Tuck
43%
 43%  [ 14 ]
Notre Dame: Brianna Turner & Taya Reimer
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
S. Car.: A'ja Wilson & Alaina Coates
50%
 50%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 32

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/26/15 2:25 pm    ::: Best statistical "power" frontcourt duo next seaso Reply Reply with quote

"Power" = points per game + rebounds per game + blocks per game.

Which frontcourt duo will produce the most "power" next season?
LDYVOLS4EVER

PostPosted: 07/26/15 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would add Russell and Graves to that list.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/26/15 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd add them if I could, but I don't seem to be able to edit poll choices after posting.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/26/15 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nina Davis is a stat monster. I wouldn't be surprised to see Baylor's frontcourt right up there.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/26/15 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I decided to ask about two player couples rather than a three player frontcourt. Who would you pair with Nina Davis?

FSU could be in the running with Adut Bulgak and Shakayla Thomas.
Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 07/26/15 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see Breanna Stewart playing the 3 next year, so that tandem wan't fly.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/26/15 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ladyvol777 wrote:

It's not relevant what so-called position the two players play. I've tried to pick the two frontcourt players on selected teams who I expect to provide the most statistical "power", as defined.

I'm also hopeful that voters will give some consideration to the three choices I've selected and how I have defined "power". The idea isn't to vote for your favorite pair or for the pair you think the best. The question is a statistical one: who will have the most PPG+RPG+BPG. To estimate that, one has to take into consideration the quality of the competition, the style of offense the team plays, and how many minutes the pair will be in the lineup.
Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 07/26/15 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Ladyvol777 wrote:

It's not relevant what so-called position the two players play. I've tried to pick the two frontcourt players on selected teams who I expect to provide the most statistical "power", as defined.

I'm also hopeful that voters will give some consideration to the three choices I've selected and how I have defined "power". The idea isn't to vote for your favorite pair or for the pair you think the best. The question is a statistical one: who will have the most PPG+RPG+BPG. To estimate that, one has to take into consideration the quality of the competition, the style of offense the team plays, and how many minutes the pair will be in the lineup.

The way you have it it should be 3 players. Breanna Stewart & Morgan Tuck will only play about 5 games with some competition the other 30 games will be give me games with very little competition, so they should win this trade hands down. If A'ja Wilson & Alaina Coates played the games UConn playes they would win it hands down. The same with Brianna Turner & Taya Reimer

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 07/27/15 7:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ladyvol777 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Ladyvol777 wrote:

The way you have it it should be 3 players. Breanna Stewart & Morgan Tuck will only play about 5 games with some competition the other 30 games will be give me games with very little competition, so they should win this trade hands down. If A'ja Wilson & Alaina Coates played the games UConn playes they would win it hands down. The same with Brianna Turner & Taya Reimer

Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 07/27/15 8:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ladyvol777 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Ladyvol777 wrote:

You are assuming and incorrectly that playing against lesser opponents in the AAC that Stewart and Moriah will play as many minutes as they do against the likes of USF or ND or SC which they will not, but then again the same can be said about the Lady VOLS in SEC when they play their much weaker sisters, the starters will see less minutes unless Holly continues to keep those games competitive. So it is a wash. Still believe they should utilize the ER category on a consistent basis as this could to an extent resolve issues like these but then again the sytem each player is in would also have to be factored in. How, who knows?

PostPosted: 07/27/15 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stewart & Tuck combined stats for 2014-15:

GMs: 78
MPG: 53.82
PPG: 32.0
RPG: 13.3
BPG: 3.0

Coates & Wilson:

GMs: 73
MPG: 40.93
PPG: 24.2
RPG: 14.5
BPG: 3.2

Turner & Reimer:

MPG: 50.4
PPG: 24.0
RPG: 14.0
BPG: 3.6

First, UConn plays a more up-tempo offense than USC which is more defensively oriented. I expect with both Coates and Wilson becoming full-time starters compared to coming off the bench last season, that Stewart and Tuck will still take more shots per game and even play more minutes per gm than the Gamecocks, as that's more to the pattern of Auriemma's teams than it is with Staleys'. UConn will have the transfer Butler step in and play minutes, while USC has Imovbioh and White to take minutes from Coates and Wilson.

Still, judging from the above stats UConn's tandem scored a point for every 1.68 minutes on the court, while the USC duo scored every.....1.69 minutes. Dead even there. I expect even with the other posts for South Carolina, that Alaina and A'ja get more than the 19-20 minutes per gm they got last season.

The rebounds go to USC's favor - Tuck wasn't a big rebounder last season, and she may improve here or she may not with Butler taking a bigger role in the paint. USC edges UConn in shot-blocking: USC actually fell off quite a bit in this area from 2013-14, when Ibiam and Coates averaged 5-6 blocked shots between them per game. Imovbioh was not a big shot-blocker at UVA, but White was a solid one in HS, so we'll see how they factor into the story, or if both Coates and Wilson improve in this area....

With Notre Dame, Turner & Reimer averaged scoring a point every 2.1 minutes. They each could see a boost here next season as Lloyd was a prolific scorer and shooter, and with her departure they should have more of the offensive lion's share of shot opportunities....

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/27/15 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:

Coates & Wilson:

Turner & Reimer:

First, UConn plays a more up-tempo offense than USC which is more defensively oriented. I expect with both Coates and Wilson becoming full-time starters compared to coming off the bench last season, that Stewart and Tuck will still take more shots per game and even play more minutes per gm than the Gamecocks, as that's more to the pattern of Auriemma's teams than it is with Staleys'. UConn will have the transfer Butler step in and play minutes, while USC has Imovbioh and White to take minutes from Coates and Wilson.

Still, judging from the above stats UConn's tandem scored a point for every 1.68 minutes on the court, while the USC duo scored every.....1.69 minutes. Dead even there. I expect even with the other posts for South Carolina, that Alaina and A'ja get more than the 19-20 minutes per gm they got last season.

The rebounds go to USC's favor - Tuck wasn't a big rebounder last season, and she may improve here or she may not with Butler taking a bigger role in the paint. USC edges UConn in shot-blocking: USC actually fell off quite a bit in this area from 2013-14, when Ibiam and Coates averaged 5-6 blocked shots between them per game. Imovbioh was not a big shot-blocker at UVA, but White was a solid one in HS, so we'll see how they factor into the story, or if both Coates and Wilson improve in this area....

With Notre Dame, Turner & Reimer averaged scoring a point every 2.1 minutes. They each could see a boost here next season as Lloyd was a prolific scorer and shooter, and with her departure they should have more of the offensive lion's share of shot opportunities....

Very informative post that took some research effort to compile. Thanks for your factual contribution.
Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 07/27/15 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:

Coates & Wilson:

Turner & Reimer:

Thanks

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 07/28/15 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So basically what is being said is we are just speculating, extrapolating based upon an apple and oranges comparison from this year to last which of those three will lead in those categories. OK, I'm good with that, afterall it is summer.

I guess like your Klingon post, Glen, it is not to ever to be seriously considered but rather in this down time before the season begins it is light entertainment which is great. Again, nice summer filler which I appreciate and thank you for these fillers before the main events. Keep them coming please.

Boy, Gamecock that is an awful lot of work for a thread that is akin to those fluffy summer movies. Nice job though. Thanks.

PostPosted: 08/05/15 6:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stewart and stuck. No one else comes close.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: