RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Zandalasini to stay in Italy and resign w FamilaSchio
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LadyLionsFan

PostPosted: 07/15/15 4:00 pm    ::: Zandalasini to stay in Italy and resign w FamilaSchio Reply Reply with quote

Her decision of course, but she could have gotten a world class education at any number of schools that were interested in her.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/16/15 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or maybe she can get a really good education in Italy and make a bunch of money while doing so.

PostPosted: 07/16/15 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Or maybe she can get a really good education in Italy and make a bunch of money while doing so.

Really. The US does not have a lock on good education.

PostPosted: 07/16/15 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yep, lots of excellent schools across the globe. Good for her...cash in while she's still young and healthy.

blaase22

PostPosted: 07/16/15 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does that mean she's eligible for the draft in 2016?

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 07/16/15 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Have you seen Italy's economy lately?

themick1952

PostPosted: 07/17/15 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Have you seen Italy's economy lately?

I'm not sure what Italy's economy has to do with getting a good education there.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/17/15 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good Cannoli > good education

PostPosted: 07/17/15 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Does that mean she's eligible for the draft in 2016?

She turned 19 in March, which made her eligible for this year's draft, I believe.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 07/17/15 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very smart financial move. I believe we will be seeing a lot more opting for this route.

LadyLionsFan

PostPosted: 07/17/15 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For Summertime Blues:

I'd have to go back and recheck...but according to U.S. News & World Report, something like 38 of the top 50 unversities in the world were located in the good old U.S.A.

Last edited by LadyLionsFan on 07/17/15 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
LadyLionsFan

PostPosted: 07/17/15 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From what I have read about Eurpean basketball teams being hit hard in recent years financially, not sure how Zandalasini is going to make "a bundle." She'll make something but it won't be anywhere close to a bundle.....

LadyLionsFan

PostPosted: 07/17/15 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For Conway Gamecock:

Exactly, the notion that she will make "a bundle" playing in Italy is complete nonsense.

Last edited by LadyLionsFan on 07/17/15 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
LadyLionsFan

PostPosted: 07/17/15 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

for Purdueloser:

Stupid post..."lots of good schools across the globe," Ah she says she will be playing in ITALY Unless she plans on flying hundreds or thousands of miles everyday to this outstanding school "across the globe" she would be going somewhere in Italy. Quick: name five, just five world class universities in Italy. No cheating...you can't go and Google some schools aftter trying to come across as some authority on "good schools around the globe." LOL You should just quit while you are behind.....

LadyLionsFan

PostPosted: 07/17/15 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To all who posted about the "good education" that Zandalasini will get. I will bet good money that where ever she goes to school will grossly pale in comparison say to a Stanford or a Duke or many other elite U.S. schools that Zandalasini reportedly had an interest in attending. Because that is a bet I will win all day...everyday.

Queenie

PostPosted: 07/17/15 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LadyLionsFan wrote:
for Purdueloser:

Stupid post..."lots of good schools across the globe," Ah she says she will be playing in ITALY Unless she plans on flying hundreds or thousands of miles everyday to this outstanding school "across the globe" she would be going somewhere in Italy. Quick: name five, just five world class universities in Italy. No cheating...you can't go and Google some schools aftter trying to come across as some authority on "good schools around the globe." LOL You should just quit while you are behind.....

Lay off the personal insults.

(now with spelling variations)
LadyLionsFan

PostPosted: 07/17/15 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From the U.S. News & World Report Top 50 World Universities, some notables:

1, Eight of the first ten schools are in the United States, the other two are Cambridge & Oxford. Harvard is listed as # 1.

2. Not one single university in Italy made the Top 50 list.

3. There are only THREE universiteis from the continent of Europe (not counting the UK here) on the list. The Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich is listed at only # 26. Checking in at # 46 is the Pierre & Marie Curie University of Paris. Finishing out those THREE universities is the University of Munich in Munich, Germany.

4. The vast majority are in the United States as I mentioned in an earlier post. There are a handful in the UK, Australia and Canada.

Since Zandalasini will be staying in Italy and playing ball in Europe...there are only THREE universities that are considered "world class elite" by U.S. News & World Report (other publications have very similar rankings) that are somewhat nearby in Switzerland, France and one in Germany. Somehow I don't think that Zandalasini will be attending Cambridge or Oxford so the obvious question that just SCREAMS to be asked here of the know nothing's that post before getting their facts straight is this: Where pray tell is Zandalasini going to get this outstanding global education that some here have mentioned?!?

This is why I said that if she even goes to university that I would bet good money that any one of about 30 or more U.S. schools would be head and shoulders better than where she will end up going.

Next.....

LadyLionsFan

PostPosted: 07/17/15 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just wanted to add that universities that various publications listed Zandalasini as having an interest in included: Stanford which is # 4 on the list in the world, UCLA # 8, Duke University at # 20, Northwestern at # 25 and there could have been a few more. Wisconsin, Ohio State, Minnesota also where on the list.

NOTE: There is a conspicuous absence of any school from the continent of Europe in the Top 10.

Bottom line is that if she goes to university at all...that wherever she goes would most likely not be in the Top 100 schools in the United States.

Think people: THIS is why students come from all over the world to attend university in the U.S. Now that I am done making you all look so very foolish, I'm done for the night. I actually have a life, unlike some on here who seem to live on this message board. You know who you are. It's summer, go out and enjoy the weather. LOL

Link: http://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/rankings

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 07/17/15 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. Someone's true colors really shining through.

Honestly, people can get a great education just about anywhere. It all depends on the individual program at each school and quite honestly what effort a person puts into it.

For the record, my comment about "schools across the globe" was in response to Clay's observation that the US does not have a lock on good education. So, in other words, it didn't just pertain to this particular young woman but as a follow-up that yes, there are actually ways to get a good education without coming to the US of A. But hey, keep on coming at me as that appears to be your thing.

beknighted

PostPosted: 07/17/15 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not sure I'd give a huge amount of weight to the USNWR rankings, even just for U.S. schools.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/17/15 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
I'm not sure I'd give a huge amount of weight to the USNWR rankings, even just for U.S. schools.

Like them or not, they're the most relied upon rankings.

But if you prefer the Times of London World University Rankings you'll find Italy has a grand total of ONE in their top 200 (Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa, No. 63). Even
Turkey has four in the top 200. I don't think by any measure Italy is considered a hotbed of elite higher education.

That said, it's a choice. It's her choice for better or worse. Hope it works out for her and she's happy.

This isn't like telling her she's nuts not to travel to a different state in the US. People are asking her to uproot her life, travel to a different continent with a different language. Whether any Italian university is considersd elite in the world I'm sure she'll be fine if she intends to settle down in Italy.

awhom111

PostPosted: 07/18/15 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Very smart financial move. I believe we will be seeing a lot more opting for this route.

Oddly enough, the trend seems to be moving in the opposite direction in some countries. I think we hit the high water mark on pay in nearly every country a couple of years ago, so college is starting to become a more attractive option for anyone who is not going to be paid to contribute. Zandalasini will be expected to play a decent amount of minutes this season, so she is probably going to be paid enough to make it worth her while. I wonder what the final count on incoming freshman from Spain alone will be this year. It seems pretty high to me at this point.

Queenie

PostPosted: 07/18/15 7:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LadyLionsFan wrote:
Just wanted to add that universities that various publications listed Zandalasini as having an interest in included: Stanford which is # 4 on the list in the world, UCLA # 8, Duke University at # 20, Northwestern at # 25 and there could have been a few more. Wisconsin, Ohio State, Minnesota also where on the list.

NOTE: There is a conspicuous absence of any school from the continent of Europe in the Top 10.

Bottom line is that if she goes to university at all...that wherever she goes would most likely not be in the Top 100 schools in the United States.

Think people: THIS is why students come from all over the world to attend university in the U.S. Now that I am done making you all look so very foolish, I'm done for the night. I actually have a life, unlike some on here who seem to live on this message board. You know who you are. It's summer, go out and enjoy the weather. LOL

Link: http://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/rankings

You're done for more than the night. See you in August.

(now with spelling variations)
summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/18/15 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:

USNWR is very, shall we say, US-centric. DUH.

And maybe Ms. Zandalisini just doesn't WANT to leave home. Ever think of THAT?

PostPosted: 07/18/15 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought it was still July 4 ...

So Italy's best colleges aren't respected in Great Britain. I have no doubt there's some validity in that, but you know, a lot of people have gotten very good educations at universities not listed by USNWR (which gets little respect, as I understand it) and the Times of London.

And if you want to live and work in Italy, it would seem to be an Italian degree would be pretty valuable, especially when you factor in connections and people you know.

I do apologize for using the phrase "make a bundle." She might only make $50,000 a year, or maybe even $40,000 (rookie scale in the WNBA). How much does a college athlete in the U.S. get paid out of the tens of millions of dollars in athletic income the Power 5 schools receive?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: