RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sylvia's contract not extended.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/26/15 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
UNC Chapel Hill said they spent over $7.5 million on legal, PR expenses to date from the recent academic scandal.

UNC posted detailed information on the Carolina Commitment website in response to a public records request from The News & Observer seeking "legal/public relations bills for the UNC scandal."

The university said it estimates they spent approximately $7,565,940 to date for services from three law firms and one public relations agency.

http://abc11.com/education/unc-$75m--spent-on-legal-pr-from-academic-scandal/1051987/

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/27/15 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
UNC has hired Sean May as an assistant basketball coach.

May was one of the players at UNC who may have benefitted from the paper classes. In fact, we distinctly remember him saying at one point that he was able to take a lot of independent study classes which helped him free up time to concentrate on basketball. Does anyone else remember that?

So our feeling is this. If he's going to become a coach at UNC, it's incumbent upon him and upon the basketball program and university to clear this up right away: did he ever take paper classes? Is his degree from UNC legitimate?

For his part, May can do this by releasing his transcripts. Did he take any AFAM independent study classes? Five players on that team were implicated. Is he one of them?

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2015/10/26/9618360/has-unc-hired-a-beneficiary-of-uncs-paper-class-scheme

And yes, Sean May did make those statements:

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/27/15 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More about Wayne Welden and men's basketball:

Quote:
The mens basketball team appears to be tied to roughly 40 exhibits, judging by the academic support staff identified in them. Nearly all of the emails speak to athletes enrollments in AFAM classes and, in some cases, the grades they received.

Some emails appear to go beyond the AFAM classes. One shows Jan Boxill, former faculty chair and philosophy professor, changing grades only slightly for two athletes on a philosophy quiz in summer 2005.

Wayne Walden, the academic counselor brought from Kansas by head basketball coach Roy Williams in 2003 after he returned to Chapel Hill, is referenced in nearly 20 exhibits, and longtime tutor Janet Huffstetlers name appears in 30.

Several of Huffstetlers emails show her sending players papers to Crowder. Tutors are not supposed to do this because its harder to tell if the paper is the students work.

Huffstetler is an office manager for an architectural firm in Chapel Hill that specializes in athletic facilities, including several at UNC. She does not have a college degree. She said she was hired to help the athletes organize their work, but the correspondence suggests she was running study sessions and helping basketball players with their papers.

The emails show interactions that go as far back as the spring 2005 semester, when the mens basketball team won the national championship. An email between Crowder and Walden, dated Jan. 5, 2005, and titled Re: Spring 2005 speaks to enrolling players in AFAM classes.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article24026728.html#storylink=cpy

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/27/15 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More about Janet Huffstetler, Wayne Welden, and men's basketball:

Quote:
Wainstein found that from 1993 until Crowders retirement in 2009, she created classes that never met and issued grades for papers that she barely read. Athletes accounted for roughly half the 3,100 students in the classes.

An email in September 2005 shows Huffstetler twice pressed Crowder to place the learning-disabled basketball player in one of what Crowder called her independent study type classes. Wainstein confirmed it was a fake class designed to look like a lecture class.

Facing pressure from on-high to reduce the number of those classes, Crowder initially declined Huffstetlers requests, but then relented when basketball academic counselor Wayne Walden asked if she could help. Walden, who had replaced Burgess McSwain in 2003, said the basketball player was getting a little overwhelmed and needed a class in which he could work on his reading and writing skillls.

Crowder told Walden in the email that Janet assures me that she can work with the student and that it will be in his best long term interest to take this class.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/unc-scandal/article15350189.html#storylink=cpy

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/27/15 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Quote:
UNC Chapel Hill said they spent over $7.5 million on legal, PR expenses to date from the recent academic scandal.

UNC posted detailed information on the Carolina Commitment website in response to a public records request from The News & Observer seeking "legal/public relations bills for the UNC scandal."

The university said it estimates they spent approximately $7,565,940 to date for services from three law firms and one public relations agency.

http://abc11.com/education/unc-$75m--spent-on-legal-pr-from-academic-scandal/1051987/

Make that over $10 million.

Quote:
The legal and public relations costs from UNC-Chapel Hills fake-class scandal have climbed well past $10 million, according to billing records released Monday.

Kenneth Wainsteins firm has charged roughly $5.8 million for investigation and record production.

Public relations costs now over $2 million.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/unc-scandal/article41475339.html#storylink=cpy

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/30/15 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/30/15 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 11/03/15 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2008-2009 was a year in which UNC men's basketball won a national title. 16 enrollments from men's basketball in AFAM classes during that season.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 11/04/15 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
UNC football player Tydreke Powell. There's no way to prove that who he is unless he decides to confirm his comments publicly. If his is him, though, he has some damning things to get off of his chest.

He says a number of things, most notably calling Roy Williams "a snake" and saying that he obviously knew what was going on.

From the call: "Listen, let me tell you this right here. One thing about Carolina, man, if you ain't got a class with a basketball player, you [better] go find one. If you got one with [them], you know it's an A ... Butch Davis kinda turned it around, but we still didn't get no respect. But when these guys, when you walked into class and saw a basketball player, if you dropped that class, I mean you were just ignorant, man."

He also made a direct allegation at a particular player, whose name was beeped out, saying that the basketball player never came to class except for tests and that a girl took those for him, apparently in exchange for athletes "running a train" on her.

Someone will have to get him to affirm his comments, but either way, this is not good news for Williams, who is already under a certain amount of pressure.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2014/11/11/7200363/former-unc-football-player-tydreke-powell-launches-multiple

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 11/04/15 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WRAL has converted the 200,000+ pages that UNC provided (the data dump) so they are text searchable:

http://www.wral.com/search-thousands-of-unc-scandal-records/15030171/

Wayne Walden is mentioned 117 times, by my count. He is the academic advisor that Roy Williams brought with him from Kansas.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 11/04/15 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

April 2013 - Roy Williams does not use email:

Link here

Yet (from 2011):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CS6J3gqUAAAncUQ.jpg

This email is from other UNC employees, talking about a high profile golf coach who is visiting the campus and what his schedule will be. He does not use email, but communication about a recruiting visit (itinerary, locations, etc.) is sent via email to Roy Williams?

And if you use the WRAL engine to search for "raw20" (the first part of Roy Williams's email address), it comes back with 300 results.

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/04/15 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UNC's only hope is that this just blows over. Any chance of that?

PostPosted: 11/04/15 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

NC State and Duke fans won't allow it. Wink

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/04/15 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

loneycafe wrote:
ClayK wrote:

NC State and Duke fans won't allow it. Wink

CamrnCrz1974 will take all his paper and notes and hold a one person sit in in Mark Emmert's office. They'll have to pry his fingers off Emmert's desk chair. Laughing Laughing Laughing

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 11/09/15 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

CamrnCrz1974 will take all his paper and notes and hold a one person sit in in Mark Emmert's office. They'll have to pry his fingers off Emmert's desk chair. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Interesting that you have no comment on any of the links I posted, the analysis I provided, or anything substantive, after making grandiose proclamations in previous posts in this thread.

Will not need a sit-in in Emmert's office. He can read. But will he punish a blue blood for 18 years of systemic academic fraud the way the university and program should be punished? Highly unlikely, IMHO.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/09/15 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Interesting that you have no comment on any of the links I posted, the analysis I provided, or anything substantive, after making grandiose proclamations in previous posts in this thread.

Will not need a sit-in in Emmert's office. He can read. But will he punish a blue blood for 18 years of systemic academic fraud the way the university and program should be punished? Highly unlikely, IMHO.

You keep dribbling out-of-context and sometimes outright distorted information. Most of it has been publicly available with context for months or years for anyone interested. I wasted my time engaging you several times. You don't discuss, you simply lash out and stomp your feet. I'm not inclined to repeat that.

This thread has gone on for weeks sometimes with nothing but you replying to your own posts.

Your bizarre crusade against your rival is really beyond the pale. I have no idea what you think the point of this is. It's a strange hobby. And I don't even like UNC.

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/09/15 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with CameronCrazy on this one ...

This is blatant, proven academic fraud. If the NCAA wants anyone to believe it takes the idea of student-athletes seriously -- which of course it does not -- then UNC should be punished, and severely.

But nothing's going to happen to a team SI, for one, has as No. 1 in the nation.

PostPosted: 11/09/15 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

This is blatant, proven academic fraud. If the NCAA wants anyone to believe it takes the idea of student-athletes seriously -- which of course it does not -- then UNC should be punished, and severely.

But nothing's going to happen to a team SI, for one, has as No. 1 in the nation.

I think you know that's not the point all. Not one person here has defended UNC. And everyone will be offended if the NCAA drops the ball. But that doesn't excuse an incessant crusade of misleading out of context tidbits and half truths. If you or anyone is interested in actual facts, Kenneth Wainstein's report is publicly available. Nothing else of value has been added by this thread. I question whether this forum is an appropriate place for one anonymous poster's personal crusade against a rival school. It's unfair and pretty unseemly, frankly.

There's nothing new here. It's just the same selective bits repackaged and regurgitated ad nauseum.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/09/15 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I think you know that's not the point all. Not one person here has defended UNC. And everyone will be offended if the NCAA drops the ball. But that doesn't excuse an incessant crusade of misleading out of context tidbits and half truths. If you or anyone is interested in actual facts, Kenneth Wainstein's report is publicly available. Nothing else of value has been added by this thread. I question whether this forum is an appropriate place for one anonymous poster's personal crusade against a rival school. It's unfair and pretty unseemly, frankly.

There's nothing new here. It's just the same selective bits repackaged and regurgitated ad nauseum.

Artbest, all excerpts CamCrz has posted are relevant here. This thread is about why WBB coach was not contract extended while MBB coach was, despite the overwhelming evidence that MBB coach was VERY involved in the fraud. There is a holy hoarde of Duke and NC State fans paying a LOT more attention to this. CamCrz is selecting a few to post here on this thread. Step off your holy high horse for just a minute - or even a nanosecond. Your attitude is highly offensive at the very least. Nobody here is defending UNC, but they've got $10 mil and counting (of public dollars) defending themselves. The public should uniformly be pressuring the NCAA to act justly. There is so much evidence, I'm thankful somebody has taken the time to search and give us the condensed version.

~rAf
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/09/15 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Artbest, all excerpts CamCrz has posted are relevant here. This thread is about why WBB coach was not contract extended while MBB coach was, despite the overwhelming evidence that MBB coach was VERY involved in the fraud. There is a holy hoarde of Duke and NC State fans paying a LOT more attention to this. CamCrz is selecting a few to post here on this thread. Step off your holy high horse for just a minute - or even a nanosecond. Your attitude is highly offensive at the very least. Nobody here is defending UNC, but they've got $10 mil and counting (of public dollars) defending themselves. The public should uniformly be pressuring the NCAA to act justly. There is so much evidence, I'm thankful somebody has taken the time to search and give us the condensed version.

There's nothing new. This is just the same rehashed stuff taken out of context. That Duke and NCSt fans are obsessed with it doesn't change that. This thread is a one man crusade. "Justified" by a bunch of unfounded speculation about what the NCAA might do. What not wait and see what they do do instead of crying about strawmen of your own creation.

It's not my board, but if it was I'd lock this thread until there was something new and newsworthy to discuss. There hasn't been in many months. It's just the same public stuff over and over and over again. I guess beating dead horses must be a special tradition in Durham. And it's not the "condensed" version, it's the highly selective Duke version. It's not information, it's propaganda.

And be honest. This isn't even about womens basketball. You don't care if Sylvia gets hammered. Indeed you'll be as offended as everyone else if she skates by. This is just another means for dukies to bash their main rival men's program. Suddenly for the first time in your life you're a big supporter of Hatchell just so you can complain about Roy Williams.

BTW, please explain what constructive steps you've taken to "pressure" the NCAA. Yeah. That's what I thought.

goforit77

PostPosted: 11/10/15 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

You keep dribbling out-of-context and sometimes outright distorted information. Most of it has been publicly available with context for months or years for anyone interested. I wasted my time engaging you several times. You don't discuss, you simply lash out and stomp your feet. I'm not inclined to repeat that.

This thread has gone on for weeks sometimes with nothing but you replying to your own posts.

Your bizarre crusade against your rival is really beyond the pale. I have no idea what you think the point of this is. It's a strange hobby. And I don't even like UNC.

What is out of context or distorted? Please elaborate..

goforit77

PostPosted: 11/10/15 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nt

Last edited by goforit77 on 11/10/15 8:59 am; edited 2 times in total
goforit77

PostPosted: 11/10/15 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/10/15 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

goforit77 wrote:

Not getting into it again. If you're interested in a full discussion rather than carefully selected bits, you can read the full report right here.

http://www.cadwalader.com/uploads/news/fc585d6ff2bbffee5f75041ef9d4fad2.pdf

The exhibits and other documents are available on the UNC website here.

http://www.unc.edu/spotlight/wainsteins-report-into-irregular-classes-released/

goforit77

PostPosted: 11/10/15 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
goforit77 wrote:

Not getting into it again. If you're interested in a full discussion rather than carefully selected bits, you can read the full report right here.

http://www.cadwalader.com/uploads/news/fc585d6ff2bbffee5f75041ef9d4fad2.pdf

The exhibits and other documents are available on the UNC website here.

http://www.unc.edu/spotlight/wainsteins-report-into-irregular-classes-released/

I didn't think so...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: