RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Former Illinois Players File Federal Civil Rights Suit
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mzonefan

PostPosted: 07/01/15 12:33 pm    ::: Former Illinois Players File Federal Civil Rights Suit Reply Reply with quote

Story:
http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2015-07-01/former-ui-womens-basketball-players-file-suit.html

Copy of suit: http://www.news-gazette.com/sites/all/files/pdf/2015/07/01/Filed_complaint_-_U._of_I..pdf

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/01/15 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Scary stuff ...

If Bollant actually did these things, it's awful.

On the other hand, all of this is hard to prove and will probably come down to he said/she said ...

Caught in the middle: the white players. They are the ones whose testimony will determine the outcome of the case, I'm guessing. Bollant will say he didn't; the black players will say he did. So the only "unbiased" group are the other players.

Ugly all around ...

PostPosted: 07/01/15 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the allegations are true these folks all need to lose their jobs, but I always wonder just what the monetary damages are in a case like this. It's not like they lost a promotion or a raise. Did any of them lose a scholarship? I didn't notice they are alleging they sat on the bench. And obviously they were recruited. So what's their monetary loss?

pilight

PostPosted: 07/01/15 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Deadspin is also covering this

http://deadspin.com/lawsuit-illinois-womens-basketball-coach-is-incredibly-1715220904

PostPosted: 07/01/15 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did anyone NOT see this coming after the initial story broke a few weeks back?
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 07/01/15 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is just a very bad situation...and right as we head into the very busy July recruiting period.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 07/01/15 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Caught in the middle: the white players. ..

One clarification, only 5 of the seven plaintiffs are African American, Two of the plaintiffs, Taylor Gleason and Jacqui Grant, are white, but were presumably .seen as black sympathizers. I guess Bollant never had to deal with those people at UWGB.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/01/15 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
I guess Bollant never had to deal with those people at UWGB.

He got what he recruited...

PostPosted: 07/01/15 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Segregated practices?

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Queenie

PostPosted: 07/01/15 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Segregated practices?

Shocked Shocked Shocked

The segregated hotel rooms on the road freaked me out more.

Honestly, I'm astounded that a coach in the 21st century could serve up a pile of shit this steaming. I mean, seriously, what the hell! I'm almost hoping there's an element of bullshit to it, because otherwise I may have to despair of humanity.

PostPosted: 07/01/15 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

Bollant's only been at IL for 3 seasons....what class/level are the plaintiffs? Juniors or Seniors would not have been his recruits, right?

I never followed him closely, other than when he did well with Green Bay in the tourney; someone that bright at The Game AND living in this century has no justifiable reason to behave like this. IFF it's true, of course, but....how could it reach this state and NOT have some validity?? Shocked

PostPosted: 07/01/15 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In one respect, I feel similarly to this as I did to the Rene Portland homophobia: When you went into coaching, who exactly did you think would be on your teams?

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 07/01/15 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Scary stuff ...

On the other hand, all of this is hard to prove and will probably come down to he said/she said ...

Caught in the middle: the white players. They are the ones whose testimony will determine the outcome of the case, I'm guessing. Bollant will say he didn't; the black players will say he did. So the only "unbiased" group are the other players.

Ugly all around ...

What about the Black players that are still on the team? What opportunity if any will they have to say anything related to this case? Will they be called to testify?

bullsky

PostPosted: 07/02/15 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When 1 person comes forward, there's an ounce of doubt. When 7 players all come forward with the same story, then you almost have to believe it. And these weren't scrubs who were mad they didn't get playing time. Grant, Tuck, Livingson, and Coleman were big contributors. Smith was for her first three seasons and Gleason and Oden were decent bench players.

This could easily be a program destroyer if they don't act quickly. I'm ashamed that U of I would let this happen and I won't support the team until Bollant packs his bags. He can take his bible with him.

PostPosted: 07/02/15 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is just awful. Segregated practices and hotel rooms? My God.

It's an interesting question what kind of damages there are here, but if even some of this is true the university never wants this to go to trial.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 07/02/15 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Scary stuff ...

Ugly all around ...

What about the Black players that are still on the team? What opportunity if any will they have to say anything related to this case? Will they be called to testify?

Matt Wettersten at WCIA sports TV says he's been told other players will be joining the suit. It wasn't indicated if they were current or former ones.

bullsky

PostPosted: 07/02/15 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

Bollant's only been at IL for 3 seasons....what class/level are the plaintiffs? Juniors or Seniors would not have been his recruits, right?

I never followed him closely, other than when he did well with Green Bay in the tourney; someone that bright at The Game AND living in this century has no justifiable reason to behave like this. IFF it's true, of course, but....how could it reach this state and NOT have some validity?? Shocked

Plaintiffs by class

2015: 3 (Tuck, Oden, Smith)
2017: 3 (Grant, Livingston, Gleason)
2018: 1 (Coleman)

PostPosted: 07/02/15 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I remain absolutely appalled by this whole thing. If even any of it is true, Bollant ought to be taken out into the middle of Lake Michigan and dropped off without a life jacket.

PostPosted: 07/02/15 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
In one respect, I feel similarly to this as I did to the Rene Portland homophobia: When you went into coaching, who exactly did you think would be on your teams?

I mean, REALLY!! Just how stupid can they BE?

bullsky wrote:
Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

Plaintiffs by class

So that would indicate a mixed group, re: recruitment, right? And whom did Bollant replace--was that Portland's ol' buddy, Grentz?

PostPosted: 07/02/15 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Plaintiffs by class

So that would indicate a mixed group, re: recruitment, right? And whom did Bollant replace--was that Portland's ol' buddy, Grentz?

No, he replaced Jolette Law, who was the successor to Grentz.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 07/03/15 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Scary stuff ...

Ugly all around ...

Matt Wettersten at WCIA sports TV says he's been told other players will be joining the suit. It wasn't indicated if they were current or former ones.

Keirra Morris may join the lawsuit as well. Former player who had a career ending injury.

http://www.tidewaterreview.com/sports/ct-illinois-athletics-spt-0703-20150702,0,6397198.story

Quote:
Morris told the Champaign News-Gazette that coaches reneged on their promise to allow her to fulfill a role of student manager after her injury and purposely ostracized her.

On a related note, (don't know if this has been posted here), former star Karisma Penn weighed in on the situation. Penn was part of that high profile class that Jolette Law pulled in. Penn really never seemed to develop during Law's tenure but under Bollant, she appeared to experience a considerable jump in performance. Had a great senior season.

Quote:
While she didnt feel the coaches mistreated her, she said she thinks some players would feel that. She said shes stayed in touch with Alexis Smith, Nia Oden and Taylor Tuck, and that theyve said the coaching staff has progressively gotten worse.

They said as soon as I left, the coaching staff pretty much went insane, Penn said.

http://assets.news-gazette.com/news/local/2015-07-01/former-star-weighs-allegations.html

http://assets.news-gazette.com/news/local/2015-07-01/former-star-weighs-allegations.html

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 07/04/15 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have talked with a few pretty high profile high school coaches in the greater Chicago area and this is resonating pretty loudly amongst the group. Let's just say it's going to be very hard for Bollant & Illinois to recruit any kids from that area, regardless of race.

The University of Illinois is probably going to have to make a decision regarding their head women's basketball coach soon. I have no idea what the legal ramifications would be of a dismissal but I'm not sure how they are going to stay with the current regime.

This is a very bad situation all the way around.

Howee

PostPosted: 07/04/15 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
I have talked with a few pretty high profile high school coaches in the greater Chicago area and this is resonating pretty loudly amongst the group. Let's just say it's going to be very hard for Bollant & Illinois to recruit any kids from that area, regardless of race.

The University of Illinois is probably going to have to make a decision regarding their head women's basketball coach soon. I have no idea what the legal ramifications would be of a dismissal but I'm not sure how they are going to stay with the current regime.

I can't think of even one person/party that in any way benefits from this strategy of the coaches: what the HELL were they thinking? If their intent was to build/strengthen the team's w-l record, that clearly was a missed target.

PostPosted: 07/04/15 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:

Do they make that decision now? Do they go another season, and let the coach go because of W/L record? What if somehow improbably, they have a great season? Do they settle The suit out of court?

Honestly, this has gone far enough where Inthink the AD needs to be worried about his job. Who is going to want to coach in this fiasco.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 07/04/15 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:

Do they make that decision now? Do they go another season, and let the coach go because of W/L record? What if somehow improbably, they have a great season? Do they settle The suit out of court?

Honestly, this has gone far enough where Inthink the AD needs to be worried about his job. Who is going to want to coach in this fiasco.

I honestly don't know. The longer this goes, the more damage this is going to do to their program. There will be more and more conversations amongst people as this goes on, especially with July being such a huge travel month for AAU teams. Coaches talk to each, both high school as well as club.

However, on the flip side, if they fire the staff now, they are obviously presuming guilt as opposed to innocence. They really are in a tough situation from all sorts of perspectives.

One of the HS coaches (who happens to be a black female) made the comment that even if half of what is in the suit is true, it's horrible and despicable in this day and age.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: