RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Who will be UConn's 5th starter next season?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who's number five?
Saniya Chong (Jr, G, 5-9)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Natalie Butler (transfer Jr, C, 6-5)
39%
 39%  [ 11 ]
Courtney Ekmark (So, G, 6-0)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Gabby Williams (So, F, 5-11)
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
D'Janae Boykin (Fr, F, 6-0)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Napheesa Collier (Fr, F, 6-1)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Katie Lou Samuelson (Fr, F/G, 6-3)
53%
 53%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 28

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/20/15 8:26 am    ::: Who will be UConn's 5th starter next season? Reply Reply with quote

Assume the four returning starters will start again: Stewart, Tuck, Jefferson, Nurse.

Who is most likely to be the 5th starter for most of the season?
Shades

PostPosted: 06/20/15 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Isn't it fairly standard practice that the national Gatorade POY becomes a 4 year starter?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
linkster

PostPosted: 06/20/15 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didn't we already have this thread?

I at one time thought Butler, but looking at the roster I now believe she will come off the bench as the replacement for both Stewart and Tuck. Of those remaining, it would seem that it will be among Samuelson, Collier and Williams.
First, it isn't a question of replacing Lewis. Geno never tries to replace a player, he puts a team together with what he has in front of him and this coming season he has a multitude of possibilities.

Whomever starts will need to play defense, rebound and be an aggressive offensive player. The player who has best shown all of those attributes is Williams. It was problematic if she would even play last season. The only thing she has yet to show is an outside shot. The starting position his her's to lose IMO.

The 3 freshmen all have a shot, but they need to show an ability to play at the next level. Highlight videos are poor predictors and the only games I have watched were Samuelson's and frankly I saw little more than a fantastic outside shot coupled with a lightning fast release. There was little in the way of defense and she didn't move with any urgency. Collier is reputed to be a polished player with a questionable perimeter shot but having never watched her I can't say more. Boykin is intriguing but again, I've never seen her beyond a highlight video that displayed a wonderful high arcing 3 point shot. Missing a great deal of her senior year may have set her development back. Chong is the first guard off the bench and the backup pg. I can't see Geno starting 3 guards. Ekmark would need to show improvement in quickness and in shooting ability.

The best I can guess is that it's between Williams, Collier and Samuelson. And who among them will be decided during fall practice, not in some "tale of the tape " midsummer evaluation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: