RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Stephanie Mavunga granted release to transfer from UNC
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis4632

PostPosted: 06/19/15 4:08 pm    ::: Stephanie Mavunga granted release to transfer from UNC Reply Reply with quote

http://m.goheels.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?atclid=210159457&DB_OEM_ID=3350&

The hits continue for UNC and this one is a massive blow. Sylvia is still in deep denial about the situation her program is in.

AJMMs

PostPosted: 06/19/15 4:16 pm    ::: Re: Stephanie Mavunga granted release to transfer from UNC Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
http://m.goheels.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?atclid=210159457&DB_OEM_ID=3350&

The hits continue for UNC and this one is a massive blow. Sylvia is still in deep denial about the situation her program is in.

That is so sad for the players. It's not like they don't want to stay and they seem to have really enjoyed being a Tar Heel. It's just that they can't stay in that situation really. Good luck to her and the others. Also, Jessica Washington seems to not be in any rush to make a decision. Good for her in taking her time.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 06/19/15 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I heard this was gonna happen...quite a shame for the Tar Heel program. Will be interesting to see where she ends up and who has scholarships available.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/19/15 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't they have a whole bunch of good incoming recruits? How many of them are going to bail out? What's the over/under on how soon Cherry transfers?

My guess is that the NCAA lets them all transfer and play immediately.

PRballer

PostPosted: 06/19/15 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also curious if there is a limit on ACC transfers.

Queenie

PostPosted: 06/19/15 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The ship be sinking. Although, at this rate, the ship might well be sunk.

PostPosted: 06/19/15 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Incoming freshman Destinee Walker enrolled at UNC this week. The freshmen and the verbals for 2016 have the option because of time to wait on the decision of the NCAA that the upperclassmen don't have. I think I at most UNC will get a 2 year post season ban but it just a matter of which season will it start.

I wonder what will McDaniel do? She's going to either be a redshirt junior or a 4 year senior depending on the decision if she qualifies for a medical redshirt.

terpsforever

PostPosted: 06/19/15 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wonder where she will go! TN??

Durantula

PostPosted: 06/19/15 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Don't they have a whole bunch of good incoming recruits? How many of them are going to bail out? What's the over/under on how soon Cherry transfers?

Stephanie Watts and Destinee Walker just enrolled at UNC a few days ago. I really wonder if the timing of these transfers would have affected anything. For instance, if the incoming freshmen knew before hand that Mavunga and Gray were leaving, would they have asked out of their LOI? They are now on campus and would have to sit out a year if they transferred, but last week they could have asked out with no penalty.

Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 06/19/15 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

terpsforever wrote:

I thank she will be block from Tennessee I know Gray WAS blocked from Tennessee. Hatchell is still salty about DeShields transferring to Tennessee.

AJMMs

PostPosted: 06/19/15 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Stephanie Watts and Destinee Walker just enrolled at UNC a few days ago. I really wonder if the timing of these transfers would have affected anything. For instance, if the incoming freshmen knew before hand that Mavunga and Gray were leaving, would they have asked out of their LOI? They are now on campus and would have to sit out a year if they transferred, but last week they could have asked out with no penalty.

Well there's this renege from 2016 NC commit.

https://twitter.com/PBevBallNPrep/status/612052842635857923

themick1952

PostPosted: 06/19/15 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ladyvol777 wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

I thank she will be block from Tennessee I know Gray WAS blocked from Tennessee. Hatchell is still salty about DeShields transferring to Tennessee.

No, you don't know she was blocked. You heard she was on The Summitt.

Independent conformation of that statement would be helpful.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/20/15 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

When the NCAA hammered USC and PSU they gave all players the right to transfer anywhere and play immedietly. I don't know how the timing will work out for the NCAA's decision but if UNC gets a couple year post season ban, I would expect the same. So those players might not ever have to sit out.

Durantula

PostPosted: 06/20/15 7:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Durantula wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

When the NCAA hammered USC and PSU they gave all players the right to transfer anywhere and play immedietly. I don't know how the timing will work out for the NCAA's decision but if UNC gets a couple year post season ban, I would expect the same. So those players might not ever have to sit out.

I think you're right, and the timing thing could throw things off and make a player serve a redshirt year. Syracuse men got a postseason ban this past season and they only found out in February. Let's say UNC gets a similar timeframe for a decision, would it be worth it for Staley or whoever gets MaVunga to play them for 1 or 2 months and waste a year of eligibility? That's the tricky part and maybe if they think they have a shot at a title they just go for it anyways? I personally wouldn't though.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/20/15 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Durantula wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I think you're right, and the timing thing could throw things off and make a player serve a redshirt year. Syracuse men got a postseason ban this past season and they only found out in February. Let's say UNC gets a similar timeframe for a decision, would it be worth it for Staley or whoever gets MaVunga to play them for 1 or 2 months and waste a year of eligibility? That's the tricky part and maybe if they think they have a shot at a title they just go for it anyways? I personally wouldn't though.

The NCAA knows that. That's why I think they'll allow all these UNC players transferring in anticipation of penalties to play immedietly. They already grant waivers like water for almost any excuse, and this one is better than most.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/20/15 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ladyvol777 wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

Thats Horrible If True , I Never Pegged Hatchell As That Kind Of A Lady But I can never judge a book by its cover. Stephanie At Tennessee with Graves And Russell Would Make Them Very Very Special . Theres No Room For Her At USC with The Incoming Transfers And Aja/Alaina Racking Up The Post. I Doubt An Established Post Force Like Stephanie would like to come off the bench with limited Minutes.

PostPosted: 06/20/15 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USC is currently out of remaining available scholarships to give to any more UNC transfers, lol. I'm sure with all the "tampering" by Dawn Staley and her staff with these players, that Mavunga knew this situation months ago. Rolling Eyes

Now, as far as the 2016 prospects - USC will lose 5 players after next season (Mitchell, Sessions, Dozier, Imovbioh, & Roy), so there will be plenty of room on the Dawn Train, so come on board and tell your friends!

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 06/20/15 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AJMMs wrote:
Well there's this renege from 2016 NC commit.

https://twitter.com/PBevBallNPrep/status/612052842635857923

Jones verbally committed when she was in the 8th grade. Yet another example of the ridiculousness of having children that young commit to a college. At least she has time to make a good decision now.

terpsforever

PostPosted: 06/21/15 6:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TN needs posts, right? Seems like the perfect landing spot for her.

linkster

PostPosted: 06/21/15 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

terpsforever wrote:

Certainly perfect for Tenn. But with Russell entrenched at the post will Mavunga be happy doing all the dirty work of rebounding and playing in an antiquated offense when she could be the feature post elsewhere?

Perhaps Mavunga was attracted to UNC due to their unstructured offense and would be happier in a similar scheme.

Other than Russell Tenn has had little success signing elite posts for quite a few years. There must be a reason for that.

Lillian Hidgepork

PostPosted: 06/21/15 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would be interested in knowing exactly who and what players from what schools that had been talking to Mavunga prior to her leaving. I have heard that there was some heavy recruiting going on by a player or so.......Dont be surprised if Ohio St does not get involved or even Kentucky along with Tennessee and Purdue.

Howee

PostPosted: 06/21/15 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Poor Sylvia must have a wicked-bad case of The Vapors by now.

PostPosted: 06/22/15 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

Certainly perfect for Tenn. But with Russell entrenched at the post will Mavunga be happy doing all the dirty work of rebounding and playing in an antiquated offense when she could be the feature post elsewhere?

Perhaps Mavunga was attracted to UNC due to their unstructured offense and would be happier in a similar scheme.

Other than Russell Tenn has had little success signing elite posts for quite a few years. There must be a reason for that.

I'd take Mavunga over Russell Anyday.

Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 06/22/15 9:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
linkster wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

I'd take Mavunga over Russell Anyday.

Not me, Mercedes Russell will be the best 5 this year, but Te'a Cooper will be the one that will take us to promised land.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/22/15 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It might also be interesting to backtrack and look at what schools were recruiting Mavunga and which were on her shortlist before she signed with UNC. That might also give some insight into where she could end up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: