RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

So Glenn, you usually know all these New England girls,

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/07/15 11:26 pm    ::: So Glenn, you usually know all these New England girls, Reply Reply with quote

What can you tell us about UConn's latest 2016 committ, Molly Bent?

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 06/08/15 6:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's a brief article that was in yesterday's local paper.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/08/15 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will she end up riding the pine for her "dream school"? Inquiring minds want to know. Not that there's anything bad about that, but from the article I saw, she could have gone to Ivy League schools. Of corse those COST and don't give schollies, so there we are.

PostPosted: 06/08/15 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Will she end up riding the pine for her "dream school"? Inquiring minds want to know. Not that there's anything bad about that, but from the article I saw, she could have gone to Ivy League schools. Of corse those COST and don't give schollies, so there we are.

Ivy League schools do give scholarships. Just not specifically for athletics.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/08/15 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Homyonkel wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

What I meant was no athletic schollies. And who's to say she'd qualify for an academic....so there we are. Those academics are hard to get, especially the full ride kind. Ask me, my brother went to Harvard on scholarship and it wasn't a full ride, and it cost my parents out the wazoo, even in those days. (1960s)

PostPosted: 06/08/15 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Homyonkel wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

What I meant was no athletic schollies. And who's to say she'd qualify for an academic....so there we are. Those academics are hard to get, especially the full ride kind. Ask me, my brother went to Harvard on scholarship and it wasn't a full ride, and it cost my parents out the wazoo, even in those days. (1960s)

Your quote from the article that she "could have gone to Ivy League schools" led me to believe that meant she had the qualifying grades to accomplish that. And it has been felt over the years that athletes with need have a slight advantage over non-athletes.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/08/15 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Homyonkel wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

These days most elite universities (I mean elite elite, not just very good) don't give merit-based scholarships; all aid is need-based.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/08/15 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Never heard of her.

She doesn't seem to be ranked and all her YouTube videos have been mysteriously taken down.

I only know what I've read, like others. Bent apparently is a high honor student who had interest from Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Brown and Dartmouth, where she could have played a lot and gotten an Ivy League education and degree.

As is, she'll be a point guard in the same UConn class as point guard Crystal Dangerfield, who is ranked in the top three of 2016 by all services and is a USAB player.

It's interesting that UConn has spent two of their three 2016 scholarships so far on unknown and (then) unranked players, Kyla Irwin and Molly Bent. What UConn really needs from 2016, in my opinion, is a center. (I'm assuming transfer center Natalie Butler will be EOB until I see actual playing time evidence otherwise.)

In the absence of any inside insight, UConn's 2016 recruiting so far could be interpreted in various ways:

-- UConn thinks it has a quality center (Lauren Cox, Joyner Holmes or Tori McCoy) in the bag to join point guard star Dangerfield, so they are willing to spend a couple of scholarships on compatible bench players.

-- Aside from Dangerfield, UConn thinks it is blanking on top bigs and recruits in general, as they did in 2013, so they are taking whoever seems reasonable and quickly available.

-- UConn wants some white players.

-- UConn coaches see in Irwin and Bent significant talent potentials that are not discernible by scouts and ranking services.

I really have no idea or even a good guess as to what is closest to the truth.
PhillyCat

PostPosted: 06/08/15 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno will try to sign a 2016 post but otherwise has moved on to the 2017 class (and beyond) where UConn looks good with its targets.

Geno would love to get Cox but she's a long-shot. Of course, getting her to visit was a long-shot and it looks like that may happen. UConn has made up some ground with Cox but ultimately she'll likely go elsewhere. Holmes is out of the question for UConn and has been for a long time. The situation with McCoy is unclear; Geno visited in the spring but did not extend an offer. There may be one other post he's looking at for 2016.

There's no great mystery to Irwin and Bent. The staff saw some things that made them want both kids as part of the program. Maybe they'll develop and become contributing role players or maybe they'll play end-of-the-bench minutes. Either way they'll be great teammates.

Homyonkel

PostPosted: 06/08/15 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Homyonkel wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

These days most elite universities (I mean elite elite, not just very good) don't give merit-based scholarships; all aid is need-based.
Which is why I used the term "with need".

linkster

PostPosted: 06/08/15 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From the various links on the UConn boards it seems that her father, her former HS coach, contacted someone at UConn and that the UConn coaches saw her at the Deep South AAU tournament. In addition to being offered by several Ivies, she was reported to have offers from Vandi and Kentucky which also occurred as result of her play in the Deep South.

Seems to me that last year at this time the opinion of some on this board was that Nurse was destined for the bench.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/08/15 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
From the various links on the UConn boards it seems that her father, her former HS coach, contacted someone at UConn and that the UConn coaches saw her at the Deep South AAU tournament. In addition to being offered by several Ivies, she was reported to have offers from Vandi and Kentucky which also occurred as result of her play in the Deep South.

Seems to me that last year at this time the opinion of some on this board was that Nurse was destined for the bench.

You're not seriously equating the two, are you? Nurse was playing on the Canadian senior team and was highly ranked on those recruiting sites that include Canadian players.

Until a week ago, no one, including UConn fans, had ever heard of this girl.

Now maybe she's just as good, but the situations of the two players are not remotely comparable.

Maybe since the other AAC teams evidently aren't going to recruit UConn-type players, Geno has decided to recruit AAC-type players. Razz Razz Razz

summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/08/15 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Homyonkel wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Homyonkel wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Your quote from the article that she "could have gone to Ivy League schools" led me to believe that meant she had the qualifying grades to accomplish that. And it has been felt over the years that athletes with need have a slight advantage over non-athletes.

My brother was an athlete (soccer goalie) and had been a scholarship boy at Exeter. My dad was a professor at one of the poorer paying schools in the B1G (it was the Big Ten then) and had another kid--me--in college at the time, and later a third, so we were fairly needy. Despite fairly stellar academics, Brother still only got a partial scholly from Harvard, so they aren't exactly forthcoming in spite of their enormous endowment......

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 06/08/15 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/blogs/dog-house/Point-Guard-Molly-Bent-Commits-to-UConn-306492761.html

“That’s what I told them,” Bent told SNY.com's Carl Adamec on Friday. “From what they told me, one of the coaches was walking by and there was something that I did in my game that caught their eye. They watched a little bit and then (assistant coach) Shea Ralph got in touch with my AAU coach. I was so excited.

I guess it can be as simple as that.

PostPosted: 06/08/15 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:

You're not seriously equating the two, are you? Nurse was playing on the Canadian senior team and was highly ranked on those recruiting sites that include Canadian players.

Until a week ago, no one, including UConn fans, had ever heard of this girl.

Now maybe she's just as good, but the situations of the two players are not remotely comparable.

Maybe since the other AAC teams evidently aren't going to recruit UConn-type players, Geno has decided to recruit AAC-type players. Razz Razz Razz

Quote:
You're not seriously equating the two, are you?

Nope. Just trying to remind some of their uninformed rush to judgement last summer. However ......

Quote:

some never learn. Rolling Eyes

linkster

PostPosted: 06/09/15 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's some comments from her AAU coach. It seems she missed AAU tournaments that would have given her more exposure because she played soccer.

http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/2015/06/latest-uconn-commit-doesnt-take-any.html

Coach's tend to embellish so I'll wait and see. Her prep team plays a couple of CT schools so maybe we'll get some video in the winter. But from the initial impression, UConn landed a "Jill Armstrong, all-american girl" type.

linkster

PostPosted: 06/09/15 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

double post

PhillyCat

PostPosted: 06/09/15 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone thinks she's an SEC-type player:

"This year we went to the Deep South, we ended up playing team from Georgia, the Celtics, we ended up beating them by six," Edgehill said, "Molly played great, Geno and Shea were there, came next couple of games. The Kentucky coach (Matthew) Mitchell came up to me after one of the games in the Deep South and said 'she could play for us right now.'"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: