RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

What player in the 2016 class would you most like for your..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LadyLionsFan

PostPosted: 06/06/15 3:52 pm    ::: What player in the 2016 class would you most like for your.. Reply Reply with quote

favorite team to get a commit from? As a Penn State Lady Lions fan I would love to see them get Sabrina Ionescu on board. Ionescu is a 6-0 junior from Miramonte H.S. in Walnut Creek, CA. She is currently ranked as the #6 player in the country by ESPN Hoopgurlz and the #1 guard. Ionescu was named to the 2013 USA Basketball Women's U16 national team even though she was not invited to the tryouts and made the squad as a walk-on. In 2014 she was again named to the USA U17 national team.

Ionescu just keeps getting better almost exponentially since exploding onto the national scene back in 2013. She is basically a 'walking triple-double'. She had one game this past high school season in which she had a quadruple-double: 24 points, 12 rebounds, 11 assists and 10 steals. Ionescu has combo guard skills and could probably even play small forward if she keeps growing.

For those interested a few links to articles about Ionescu's skyrocketing career:

http://www.sportstarsonline.com/content/sabrina-ionescu-orinda-basketball

http://www.fullcourt.com/prep/23283/two-surprising-additions-one-stunning-omission-highlight-usa-u16-roster

http://archive.usab.com/bios/ionescu_sabrina.html

http://www.calstars.org/news_article/show/385420?referrer_id=86852-news

http://www.calhisports.com/2013/11/12/girls-bb-sabrina-ionescu-million-to-one-shot/

Ionescu Videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3JidvUvKl0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izH3xQ58Jww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZxIDt3MloQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geVcp0rlgmw

Her skills have gotten to where she is now on Gatorade National POY watch list. The thing I love about this kid is she just keeps getting better with every outing. Her best basketball is ahead of her and I predict she will be a star in women's hoops at the next level and beyond. As good as Kelly Mazantte and Maggie Lucas were at Penn State this kid would rewrite the Lady Lions record books. Anyhow, that is my pick as the Lady Lions need a scorer.

Last edited by LadyLionsFan on 06/07/15 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 06/06/15 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Small correction. She was not selected for U17 she was added after Cooper could not play.

LadyLionsFan

PostPosted: 06/07/15 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This kid is becoming a scoring machine. Seems to score at will. Had a 40 point game as a sophomore in a game that she played just 24 minutes. An while she used to be listed as 5-10, then 5-11, she is now listed as 6-0 and she's looks closer to 6-1 than 6-0. Might not be done growing.

The following is a list of some of the schools recruiting Ionescu and this is from back in May of 2014...so no doubt the list is much larger by now.

List: Maryland, Notre Dame, Ole Miss, Florida, Ohio State, Arkansas, Purdue, Oregon, UCONN, Duke, Texas, Oklahoma, Louisville, Cal, Stanford, Washington, Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, UCLA, USC and Oregon State. Again, not a complete list by any stretch.

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/07/15 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've watched Ionescu since she was in fourth grade, and have actually worked with her in camps a couple times. Very good player, but her list is down to about five right now -- and from what I know, Penn State is not on it.

She plays for CalStars during the summer (they play the Nike circuit) so you can get a look at her. She's about 6-0 now, excellent defender, good shooter, very, very, very competitive.

PostPosted: 06/07/15 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I've watched Ionescu since she was in fourth grade, and have actually worked with her in camps a couple times. Very good player, but her list is down to about five right now -- and from what I know, Penn State is not on it.

She plays for CalStars during the summer (they play the Nike circuit) so you can get a look at her. She's about 6-0 now, excellent defender, good shooter, very, very, very competitive.

I heard Oregon is sort of a sleeper in her recruitment. Kelly Graves is going to need a recruiting breakthrough if he wants to get into the top end of the PAC 12. He's not going to have the talent advantage like he had at Gonzaga, in the PAC 12, but he can close the gap somewhat.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/07/15 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Just a guess but I'd be surprised if her "list" is longer than two - Stanford and Cal.

What do you hear about Leaonna Odom, by the way? Any feeling where she's headed?

LadyLionsFan

PostPosted: 06/08/15 5:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure she is not considering Penn State.....this thread was intended to be a 'wish list' of what ONE player would you want for your favorite team to get. Thought it would be a fun thread...no one has really responded to the spirit of the thread topic.....I have felt all along that she would wind up at Stanford as it is just 50 miles from Walnut Creek.

LadyLionsFan

PostPosted: 06/08/15 5:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Her list well could be "down to about five right now," but that won't stop schools from recruiting her until she has signed her LOI. Decommits do happen, although not as much in women's basketball. Joe Hampton a class of 2016 recruit for Penn State, actually originally committed to Penn State last August, then he later decommited and very recently has recommitted to the Nittany Lions. People often forget we are talking about teenagers.

newkid

PostPosted: 06/08/15 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For Texas, Joyner Holmes.
http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/167765/joyner-holmes

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/08/15 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Just a guess but I'd be surprised if her "list" is longer than two - Stanford and Cal.

What do you hear about Leaonna Odom, by the way? Any feeling where she's headed?

My understanding is that Stanford is not in the picture for Ionescu -- and remember, some kids want to go away for school (I know I did). I'm not claiming I know anything about Ionescu in this case, but sometimes staying close to home is an advantage in recruiting and sometimes it isn't.

Odom is a SoCal girl, so I have no insight.

PostPosted: 06/08/15 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know nothing about recruiting, and I kind of like it that way, but if a top-notch tall post wanted to commit to St. John's, that'd be shiny.

PostPosted: 06/08/15 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

My understanding is that Stanford is not in the picture for Ionescu -- and remember, some kids want to go away for school (I know I did). I'm not claiming I know anything about Ionescu in this case, but sometimes staying close to home is an advantage in recruiting and sometimes it isn't.

Odom is a SoCal girl, so I have no insight.

Stanford has never been in the picture for Ionescu. There's one message board poster who keeps saying Oregon is where Ionescu will land, though Cal fans are hoping that's not true.

Speaking of Stanford, I expected BC's Aislin Konig would land there, though I hadn't heard whether she made it past admissions. In any event, she landed at NC State which is a good recruit for them. The PN folks love her game.

Interesting that Valerie Higgins has moved north and will now be playing with CalStars (w/ Ionescu). Higgins and Odom are HS teammates, won Nike Nationals with Team Taurasi last year and talked of playing together in college. Some have joked that Higgins has finally grown weary of playing with Odom who carries around some red flags (3 HS/3 years, etc.).

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 06/08/15 1:38 pm    ::: Indious you fans have a history of supporting their teammate Reply Reply with quote

Maren WalSeth and North DakotA State really need to land in town product Sarah Jacobson. Jacobson, 2016 prospect is the leader of the two-time defending state class a champion Fargo Shanley. She is the daughter of bison great Pat Smykowski one of the top scores In Bison womens basketball history. Her brother, AJ, is a junior to be on the North Dakota State men's team. Bison fans are nutsi supporters of their successful athletic teams and support was high for the Women in the 90s when they won five Division II national titles. Jacobson is a legit D1 prospect and can help build that support for Walseths program

LadyLionsFan

PostPosted: 06/08/15 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I know nothing about recruiting, and I kind of like it that way, but if a top-notch tall post wanted to commit to St. John's, that'd be shiny.

Here ya go:

http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/189420/felicia-aiyeotan

Watch her on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JHVTuFHx4Q

She's still kind of learning the game so lots of potential upside to this post player. UCONN is interested so I figure if Geno wants her she must be pretty good.....

Last edited by LadyLionsFan on 06/08/15 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
LadyLionsFan

PostPosted: 06/08/15 2:06 pm    ::: Re: Indious you fans have a history of supporting their team Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Maren WalSeth and North DakotA State really need to land in town product Sarah Jacobson. Jacobson, 2016 prospect is the leader of the two-time defending state class a champion Fargo Shanley. She is the daughter of bison great Pat Smykowski one of the top scores In Bison womens basketball history. Her brother, AJ, is a junior to be on the North Dakota State men's team. Bison fans are nutsi supporters of their successful athletic teams and support was high for the Women in the 90s when they won five Division II national titles. Jacobson is a legit D1 prospect and can help build that support for Walseths program

I have started to keep tabs on NDSU for obvious reasons. I think it was a bad move at least for the NDSU Women's basketball program to make the jump form D II to D I. Maren has her work cut out for her. Just a hunch, but the NDSU gig is Maren's first as a HC and I'm pretty sure that she will in time try to parlay that into a HC job at a B1G school...probably Penn State would be her first choice if Coquese ever stepped down or possibly the University of Minnesota or a B1G school in the Midwest as a last alternative. The first B1G Women's HC job that comes open I would be surprised if she did not apply for the position.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 06/08/15 2:51 pm    ::: Re: Indious you fans have a history of supporting their team Reply Reply with quote

LadyLionsFan wrote:

I have started to keep tabs on NDSU for obvious reasons. I think it was a bad move at least for the NDSU Women's basketball program to make the jump form D II to D I. Maren has her work cut out for her. Just a hunch, but the NDSU gig is Maren's first as a HC and I'm pretty sure that she will in time try to parlay that into a HC job at a B1G school...probably Penn State would be her first choice if Coquese ever stepped down or possibly the University of Minnesota or a B1G school in the Midwest as a last alternative. The first B1G Women's HC job that comes open I would be surprised if she did not apply for the position.

Bison fans are pretty used to training coaches for the next level. One year ago, Craig Bohl left NDSU for Wyo after winning third straight FCS national title and former men's basketball coach Saul Phillips left for Toledo after leading the Bison to an NCAA win over OKlahoma. Those programs kept producing this season reloading and matching their previous seasons accolades. Walseth is a welcome addition, albeit temporarily, to the Herd. She's young, played and coached at a B1G school, and has local connections. She seems to jive with the Fargo scene.

While the womens basketball team may have been a "casualty" of the move the success of the other Bison programs could serve as a How-To-Book on how to transition up. Football has won 4 national championships at the FCS level, defeated 5 FCS programs and provided the necessary backdrop for two College Gameday visits to Fargo. Basketball has 3 NCAA appearances in 7 years and returns a team primed to build on that. Wrestling will receive an invite to join the XII and softball is a perennial participant in the NCAA postseason tourney. The fact that the necessary donors and resources came forward to propel this program forward lead me to believe that NDSU will look to take advantage of the changing NCAA landscape to move up onceagain.

LadyLionsFan

PostPosted: 06/08/15 5:59 pm    ::: Re: Indious you fans have a history of supporting their team Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:

Regarding Sarah Jocobson...I am not familiar with her. I've learned some about the team and their rich D II history. I think Brooke LeMar will be greatly missed. I know that overall there is very little size on the squad. Hopefully Maren can bring in some good post players as she was a big in college. It sounds like maybe Brianna Jones the 6-1 JUCO player will be able to make an impact. Again the main thing I see that is lacking is lack of size, especially for playing in Division I.

To me most of what separates the top schools from everyone else is the recruiting. There are other factors sure, but for the most part the teams that have the horses are he teams that win Look at UCONN...their entire lineup from year-to-year is comprised of virtually all 5 star blue chip recruits.

No offense intended to you or any NDSU Bison fans; but I see NDSU as a hard sell to make to a recruit. First, Fargo is in the middle of nowhere. Second the winters are brutal, not a selling point to most recruits. Third, while there is some talent there no doubt, North Dakota and the surrounding area is not one of the hotbeds for girls high school basketball. Also. Walseth is not going to be able to recruit nationally, not successfully anyhow. So what to do?!

IMHO, the JUCO route and landing a transfer here and there might be her best options. I think she still has 3 scholarships to give, but is on record as saying that she won't use those just to fill out the roster. Would only use one if a player was available that could "make an immediate impact." I think that is wise, but leads back to this being a hard sell. IMHO, I don't see the Bison women's basketball team having any success remotely approaching the kind of success they enjoyed when playing in Division II.

Having said that: there is always what I call the Boise State effect.

Stephen Shirley

PostPosted: 06/09/15 2:57 pm    ::: An elite post Reply Reply with quote

I'll take an elite post player at Middle TN.

Cheyenne Parker gave Lady Raider fans a taste of what a great post player with size can do in her 22 games in Murfreesboro. Ebony Rowe was fantastic for four years. But she was 6'1". Alysha Clark was a scoring machine in the paint at 5'11".

Give me a legit 6'4" or 6'5" post players with dominant skills. Lauren Cox, #1 prospect, fits the bill.

LadyLionsFan

PostPosted: 06/09/15 4:22 pm    ::: Re: An elite post Reply Reply with quote

Stephen Shirley wrote:
I'll take an elite post player at Middle TN.

Cheyenne Parker gave Lady Raider fans a taste of what a great post player with size can do in her 22 games in Murfreesboro. Ebony Rowe was fantastic for four years. But she was 6'1". Alysha Clark was a scoring machine in the paint at 5'11".

Give me a legit 6'4" or 6'5" post players with dominant skills. Lauren Cox, #1 prospect, fits the bill.

"Give me a legit 6'4" or 6'5" post players with dominant skills. Lauren Cox, #1 prospect, fits the bill."

Great choice! Yeah, Lauren Cox would be a welcome addition at any school.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 06/09/15 4:25 pm    ::: Re: An elite post Reply Reply with quote

I'd sure like to see Sabrina down here at UCLA. But I'm much like Queenie, who put it very well: I don't really know anything about recruiting, and I kind of like it that way.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 06/10/15 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I want Destiny Slocum to recommit to Washington.

Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 06/10/15 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

She is going to Tennessee...

Durantula

PostPosted: 06/10/15 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ladyvol777 wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

She is going to Tennessee...

She committed or you are predicting she goes to Tennessee? Hard to tell by your post.....

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 06/11/15 2:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ugh...really? I get that Tennessee has what it has as far as basketball is concerned...but on every other level I ask: why the F&#% would anyone choose Knoxville over Seattle? It's like choosing a sandbox over a beach.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/11/15 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Ugh...really? I get that Tennessee has what it has as far as basketball is concerned...but on every other level I ask: why the F&#% would anyone choose Knoxville over Seattle? It's like choosing a sandbox over a beach.

It doesn't rain all the time, for one thing. And Knoxville is not nearly as bad as you would like to think it is. I lived there for a long time. It's a pretty great place.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: