RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

World U18 3x3 championship on line today and this weekend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/05/15 11:14 am    ::: World U18 3x3 championship on line today and this weekend Reply Reply with quote

It actually started yesterday.

You can get the live stream at
http://www.fiba.com/3x3U18WC/2015/videos The quality is really excellent.

BTW, even though it's a live feed, you can go back and see the games you missed today just by moving the time bar at the bottom of the video back to where you want to be. The next US game is at 2:30 EDT this afternoon (I think Confused )

You can see the Day 1 (Thursday) stream at

http://www.fiba.com/3x3U18WC/2015/Day-1---Live-Stream---2015-FIBA-3x3-U18-World-Championships

The US-Swiss game yesterday starts at about 1:53. Warning - this first game was really ragged. In particular there were a ton of missed FTs, which you just can't afford to do in this format. But then, it's the first international 3x3 game for three of the US players. Things settled down after that.

The schedule and results are at
http://www.fiba.com/3x3U18WC/2015/games Make sure you've clicked on women at the top. They are playing both men's and women's U18 at the same time. Indeed, they alternate playing like 4 women's then 4 men's games, and so on, on each court.

Note that in the preliminary rounds, only the Court 1 games are broadcast.

Hungary time is EDT + 6.

I won't report the results so as not to spoil it for those who want to watch. If you want to know, just click on the schedule link above.

BTW, the US team consists of Kristine Anigwe, Natalie Chou, Erin Boley and Arike Ogunbowale. Ogunbowale already has two international 3x3 gold medals. The other three are rookies.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/05/15 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BTW, the US got two of 3x3 Planet's "top five plays of the day" for yesterday. #4 by the women, #1 by the men. (video below).

The US men have traditionally not taken FIBA 3x3 very seriously. This may be the best team the US men have ever sent. They look really good.

Also, if you ever wanted to see the difference between the men's and women's games, watch a little of these 3x3. Entirely different game being played.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NZpK5pdR1kg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/05/15 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA vs Egypt coming up in a few minutes, right here:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Rgyg2EfdxSg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/05/15 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After 4 games of pool play, Ogunbowale ranks 2nd overall in scoring among the women with 28 pts. Boley ranks 14th with 19 pts, Chou is 25th with 15 pts, and Anigwe is 33rd with 14 pts.

For the first time, the US started raining 2s (beyond the arc shots) in today's second game against Egypt.

You get 1 pt for a field goal or free throw, 2 pts from behind the arc. First team to 21, or leader after 10 minutes, wins.

If you go to OT, you have to win by 2.

I really enjoy these games. They are fast paced and a lot of fun. There is a 10 second shot clock, so not a lot of time to work for a shot. Usually one pass and either a drive or a shot. Each game is over in about 15 minutes or less.

Plus, on the women's side, the US tends to have players who are simply more talented and skilled than anyone else. We've usually been shorter than some teams, but this year Anigwe at 6'5" is a real force and with Boley at 6'2" as well, we have good size this time.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/06/15 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Both the mens and womens US teams are through to the quarterfinals. Coincidentally both beat Spain today in the rounds of 16.

In one of the most remarkable feats Payton Pritchard of the US men hit NINE 2 pt (behind the arc) shots. We're not talking a 40 minute game here, but a span of four minutes and fourteen seconds. Watch this highlight on youtube. Unbelievable. Even the Spanish players were smiling at the end.

http://youtu.be/NsA6bXDw48g

Pritchard is committed to Oklahoma.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 06/07/15 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow now I understand why players say they don't like playing with Ogunbowale, she would rather take a circus shot than pass the ball. She has a giant compared to Israel around the basket and dribbles down the clock to get her own shot. Question is will Muffet allow her to do this?

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 06/07/15 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Wow now I understand why players say they don't like playing with Ogunbowale, she would rather take a circus shot than pass the ball. She has a giant compared to Israel around the basket and dribbles down the clock to get her own shot. Question is will Muffet allow her to do this?
r

3x3 is organized street ball so it is unfair to extrapolate from what they are doing here to what they are going to do on the full court hardwood. As I could not determine from watching the three recruits for UCONN play in the 3x3 last year how they will fair this year, I shall not be judgemental of any of the 3x3 players this year. I shall say this, watching Arike in other full court venues she is a gifted player whom any coach would love to have on their team.

PostPosted: 06/07/15 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well they just lost!

Durantula

PostPosted: 06/07/15 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is this the first time a country other than USA won gold for 3 on 3? They are showing the men's championship and USA isn't even in it! Not in the 3rd place game either. Down year for USA I guess

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 06/07/15 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The guys never really win but the women have dominated previously.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/07/15 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:
r

3x3 is organized street ball so it is unfair to extrapolate from what they are doing here to what they are going to do on the full court hardwood. As I could not determine from watching the three recruits for UCONN play in the 3x3 last year how they will fair this year, I shall not be judgemental of any of the 3x3 players this year. I shall say this, watching Arike in other full court venues she is a gifted player whom any coach would love to have on their team.

There's a 12 second shot clock. Most of the time it's a matter of whoever gets the ball shoots. One shot max.

Anyone expecting a lot of passing has never watched 3x3.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 06/08/15 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, I watch a lot of basketball period, including 3x3. So are you saying France was the exception LOL. 12 seconds is a lot longer than one thinks, it only takes a few seconds to make passes as France showed, whereas pointless dribbling wastes clock.

The dagger for the US was Ogunbowales poor shot selection in taking a shot from behind the arc.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/08/15 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Well, I watch a lot of basketball period, including 3x3. So are you saying France was the exception LOL. 12 seconds is a lot longer than one thinks, it only takes a few seconds to make passes as France showed, whereas pointless dribbling wastes clock.

The dagger for the US was Ogunbowales poor shot selection in taking a shot from behind the arc.

Ogunbowale has THREE USA Basketball Gold medals to her credit already, and now a silver. I think she knows how to play and win the game.

The US had a 4 pt lead . Then France hit several key 2 pt shots at critical moments. They didn't win by working the ball. The US missed their 2 pt attempts. it's a short game. If you make a few mistakes or your opponent makes a couple good shots, that can be all it takes to change the outcome.

That's the way it goes sometimes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: