RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Cecilia Zandalasini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LadyLionsFan

PostPosted: 05/30/15 3:18 pm    ::: Cecilia Zandalasini Reply Reply with quote

Has anyone heard anything about what schools she might be considering?

In what was a big surprise the Head Coach of the women's Italian team did not select Zandalasini for summer play. As most know, ESPNW has her ranked as the #4 player in the 2015 class and I think that she and just one other recruit in their Top 100 have not signed an LOI yet.

Are there different rules for International players regarding when they must sign their NLI? I thought that the late signing period was in May? Anyhow would like to hear opinions, guesses and pure speculation as to what school you think Zandalasini might end up at. I'm hoping (long shot) that it is a certain B1G school, but something tells me that Geno Auriemma will end up landing her as Zandy has said that she is a huge Diana Taurasi fan and of course Geno is Italian-American which probably doesn't hurt UConn's chances, that and the 3 straight NCAA titles.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 06/01/15 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From her DOB she is older so that May have something to do with it. Don't know why she would go to college when she can earn money in Europe.

LadyLionsFan

PostPosted: 06/01/15 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
From her DOB she is older so that May have something to do with it. Don't know why she would go to college when she can earn money in Europe.

Many of the teams in Europe don' have the money to pay younger players very well and so in recent years more and more young European girl players are coming to the U.S. to get a more or less free education via a basketball scholarship. A four year degree from a top U.S. university is a gift that just keeps on giving for a lifetime. It is a no brainer. It's a wonder more talented European girls don't follow suit.

GEF34

PostPosted: 06/01/15 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to this article I found she was suppose to visit schools after she played for her National Team during the summer, so unless she is going to be playing in the University Games or some other "under-age" tournament (not sure what age limit tournaments they have going on this summer) her plans may have changed, or she may still wait till the plans times to make her visit.

Quote:
She is said to be considering a bunch of options, from South Florida to Minnesota to South Carolina and California. Throw in Florida, Mississippi State, Indiana, Texas, UCLA and more.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/12693734/meet-8-unsigned-seniors-turn-big-college-stars

As for as the signing period, once the periods have passed and summer begins people can just enroll at a school of their choosing and sign for a scholarship papers when they enroll, as long as the school has scholarships available.

LadyLionsFan

PostPosted: 06/01/15 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
According to this article I found she was suppose to visit schools after she played for her National Team during the summer, so unless she is going to be playing in the University Games or some other "under-age" tournament (not sure what age limit tournaments they have going on this summer) her plans may have changed, or she may still wait till the plans times to make her visit.

Quote:
She is said to be considering a bunch of options, from South Florida to Minnesota to South Carolina and California. Throw in Florida, Mississippi State, Indiana, Texas, UCLA and more.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/12693734/meet-8-unsigned-seniors-turn-big-college-stars

As for as the signing period, once the periods have passed and summer begins people can just enroll at a school of their choosing and sign for a scholarship papers when they enroll, as long as the school has scholarships available.

Yeah, saw that. The HC of the Italian team did not select her for the national team. So will she wait until August still to do her planned visits or will she move those visits up to June or July?

IMHO, she should be ranked the #1 player in the 2015 class. She can start for any team in the country and as a freshman. If Kia Nurse was good enough to start for UConn, then Cecilia Zandalasini would start for them easy.

GEF34

PostPosted: 06/01/15 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LadyLionsFan wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, saw that. The HC of the Italian team did not select her for the national team. So will she wait until August still to do her planned visits or will she move those visits up to June or July?

IMHO, she should be ranked the #1 player in the 2015 class. She can start for any team in the country and as a freshman. If Kia Nurse was good enough to start for UConn, then Cecilia Zandalasini would start for them easy.

I just looked it up and the U20 European Championships are from July 2 - July 12. She is listed on the U20 Italian National Team roster on the tournament page, so it appears she is still unavailable in June and July, at least the beginning of July, unless she decides to remove herself from the U20 team or gets cut, which if she is as good as advertised, is highly unlikely.

http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_KNce8jInH7Qj1EsyH5rjn2.teamID_307.compID_FBoLIZ9eGMw1MS4DX8h1D2.season_2015.roundID_10460.html

LadyLionsFan

PostPosted: 06/02/15 6:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was going by this article here:

http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_Xujd4UHOHkwn9rrgZYaDP2.articleMode_on.html

Regarding if Zandalasini is "as good as advertised", I think she is. Look what Breanna Stewart has accomplished at UConn. I'm confident that Zandalasini will be the same type of impact player for whatever school she decides to go to. Doesn't mean she will be on several NC teams...you need a strong supporting cast for that like they have at UConn...but she is very good and will elevate the play of those around her. This kid is going to be rewriting some record books.

For those totally unfamiliar with Zandalasini:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhyheYQ-YtA

LadyLionsFan

PostPosted: 06/02/15 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke University's Angela Salvadores of Spain and Cecilia Zandalasini of Italy playing in the U16 European Championship game back in 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UljmdiIz_Eo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: