RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Lexie Brown asking for Release from Maryland WBB
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/11/15 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

terpsforever wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
ThreeBall25 wrote:
Is this addition by subtraction for Maryland? More touches/shots for SWK and Jones isn't a bad thing I don't think. Brown struck me as a "me first" type of point guard, ala Renee Montgomery in her early UConn years. A bit of a chucker if you will.

If it means they finally focus more on getting the ball into Jones, then you may be right. But there's also a reality that Brown was more talented than any of the other guards. So does an improvement in chemistry and style make up for that? We shall see.

Brown was pretty much eye-to-eye with the other top 2 scorers for the Terps (13.3 ppg to their 13.5 & 13.3 averages), and didn't shoot much worse than the other 2. She averaged more minutes than the other 2 despite playing 1 game fewer than them. The majority of her FG attempts were from behind the 3-pt arc and her 3ptFG% was decent. The Terps only had 2 players with 100+ 3pt Fg attempts, and Brown had 40% of the team's total numbers. Sounds like to me MD needed her to shoulder their perimeter scoring load. Because of this Brown's FG% was .414 but inside the 3pt arc she shot 48.9% (90-184).

Jones averaged 8 minutes per game less than Brown did - probably because she was called for more fouls than anyone else (100 fouls compared to the next most at 78 ), which means she probably spent more time on the bench in foul trouble. 8 minutes is 20% of a game's length...

Brown did lead the team in assists and steals and had a decent A:TO ratio. Nothing really stands out to me to suggest addition by subtraction with her leaving....

Brown is an absolute loss for MD. She hit big shots in key moments. Assist to TO was good. Biggest loss in my opinion for this program ever. We will survive but no doubt, we won't be as good next yr. we will rebound after that.

No Final Fours For MD With This Blow For A While Imo. OSU Benefits The Most! Especially in 2017 When Calhoun And Mitchell Team Up on the B1G10

PostPosted: 06/12/15 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brandon Clay ‏@BrandonClayPSB 6h6 hours ago

BREAKING: Former Maryland guard Lexie Brown is slated to visit Duke this week after visiting Louisville last weekend.

Shades

PostPosted: 06/12/15 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PhillyCat wrote:

BREAKING: Former Maryland guard Lexie Brown is slated to visit Duke this week after visiting Louisville last weekend.

This is bad news for the McCallie haters. Smile

I guess it's not about being homesick.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 06/12/15 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
PhillyCat wrote:

Coach P has always been good at convincing talent to come to Duke. It's the trouble she's had keeping them there and the lack of player development while in Durham that infuriates Dukies.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 06/13/15 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Shades wrote:
PhillyCat wrote:

Coach P has always been good at convincing talent to come to Duke. It's the trouble she's had keeping them there and the lack of player development while in Durham that infuriates Dukies.

Artichoke - you are absolutely correct. We're done celebrating great recruiting classes. Actual post season success has been lacking. I don't see her coming to Duke with two outstanding PG's coming in. Unless Salvadores can't pass the English test. And I learned not to pay attention to Shades who seems to think it's funny that we're stuck with a dud of a coach.

~rAf

Last edited by readyAIMfire53 on 06/13/15 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Durantula

PostPosted: 06/13/15 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Shades wrote:
PhillyCat wrote:

Artichoke - you are absolutely correct. We're done celebrating great recruiting classes. Actual post season success has been lacking. I don't see her coming to Duke with two outstanding PG's coming in. Unless Salvadores can't pass the English test.

Louisville has two great guards coming in, Cole is a PG and I've seen some people say Durr can handle the point too, so its a wash.

Duke and Louisville went just as far in NCAAs this year and Duke had to deal with a lot more injury problems so if they underachieved this year what did Louisville do? At least Duke lost to a higher seed, Louisville lost to a worse seed. I am not saying Louisville is worse than Duke but the whole attitude that Duke can't stack up with these other teams is not always true.

icey23

PostPosted: 06/13/15 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Umm I wonder if Nikki Caldwell has jump on this? She loves guards I'm shock she hasnt lured Lexie in lol

PostPosted: 06/14/15 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

South Carolina really makes the sense for Lexi. Big crowds too which she will love. Lexi is outgoing and a very confident lady--she likes the big stage. Add some big crowds and she will be in her element. Plus they need a PG that can shot the 3. This is a no brainer to me.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/14/15 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

terpsforever wrote:
South Carolina really makes the sense for Lexi. Big crowds too which she will love. Lexi is outgoing and a very confident lady--she likes the big stage. Add some big crowds and she will be in her element. Plus they need a PG that can shot the 3. This is a no brainer to me.

This would be a conspiracy too me.... Confused

PostPosted: 06/15/15 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lexi to Duke per Lexi.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 06/15/15 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ball4life wrote:
Lexi to Duke per Lexi.

http://www.swishappeal.com/2015/6/15/8750069/lexie-brown-to-transfer-to-duke

linkster

PostPosted: 06/15/15 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 06/15/15 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmm...I wonder how Angela Salvadores and Kyra Lambert feel about this? I'm predicting one of them does not finish their career at Duke.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/15/15 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mmmm........well, somebody is going to be sorry they went to Duke. Hard to say who, though.

PostPosted: 06/15/15 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What a get for McCallie! Congrats to Duke fans

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 06/15/15 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

LOL. From a team full of posts with nary a PG in sight...to a team full of PG's and no posts coming in. With JPM, it's all about getting the highest ranked players, whether they make sense playing together or not. The proof is in the pudding.

~rAf
terpsforever

PostPosted: 06/15/15 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This makes zero sense to me. ZERO. Unless they have some degree program or there is a boy involved...I'm confused.... From a final four team to Duke where the offense sucks. There has to be a boy involved or something. Duke?? What the heck Lexi Brown.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 06/15/15 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

terpsforever wrote:
This makes zero sense to me. ZERO. Unless they have some degree program or there is a boy involved...I'm confused.... From a final four team to Duke where the offense sucks. There has to be a boy involved or something. Duke?? What the heck Lexi Brown.

I have to say, this seems pretty insulting to Lexie. (And you might want to spell her name correctly.)

When Lexie committed to the Terps, it was to an ACC school. Many away games, not to mention the ACC Tournament, would be do-able for her family. The B1G? Trips to Nebraska and Iowa in the winter? Not so much.

Duke is closer to her home than College Park is, and she's back in the ACC. At a school where her degree will be far more meaningful than it would be from, well, Louisville, for example.

Duke fans are fortunate, congrats to them, and I wish Lexie all the best.

Durantula

PostPosted: 06/15/15 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Shades wrote:

LOL. From a team full of posts with nary a PG in sight...to a team full of PG's and no posts coming in. With JPM, it's all about getting the highest ranked players, whether they make sense playing together or not. The proof is in the pudding.

I was waiting for someone to spin this negatively for JPM lol. Can't people just admit this is a good pick up? Brown is a good player, should JPM not take her because she has a bunch of guards coming in, who have played 0 college games in Salvadores and Lambert? If they were so worried about competition why commit to a school that would take both of them? Go somewhere that would only take 1 2015 PG. This isn't little league, Duke should recruit the best players they can and if they can't beat her out they can come off the bench. Do you really go to a top team like Duke and expect to be handed a position? Duke probably has no posts coming in because they have a bunch of highly rated posts already there.

Last edited by Durantula on 06/15/15 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Durantula

PostPosted: 06/15/15 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

I have to say, this seems pretty insulting to Lexie. (And you might want to spell her name correctly.)

When Lexie committed to the Terps, it was to an ACC school. Many away games, not to mention the ACC Tournament, would be do-able for her family. The B1G? Trips to Nebraska and Iowa in the winter? Not so much.

Duke is closer to her home than College Park is, and she's back in the ACC. At a school where her degree will be far more meaningful than it would be from, well, Louisville, for example.

Duke fans are fortunate, congrats to them, and I wish Lexie all the best.

I don't really buy the away game thing as a reason for leaving. Duke played 34 games last year, 8 were ACC road games. Of those 8 road games, many could be just as far as Big 10 schools. Notre Dame, Syracuse, Boston College, Miami are not close. Virginia and Virginia Tech aren't very close either. So we are talking about maybe a small handful of games that are going to be definitely drivable, close games. Looking at Maryland's schedule, they didn't play at Iowa but if they did, is it any worse than @ ND, @ BC, @ Syracuse weather wise?

They are probably flying to Duke and flying to Maryland for games since its hard to make 5+ hour drive on weeknights It might be easier to fly to Maryland anyways because its centrally located near DC and Baltimore. with multiple big airports compared to Duke where you have just RDU.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/15/15 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

terpsforever wrote:

Didn't you notice the pattern to her visits?

She wants to play in the ACC. Can't say I blame her. McGraw likely had zero interest, so why not Duke? Although I would have thought her game would have fit better at UNC.

terpsforever

PostPosted: 06/15/15 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

She wants to play in the ACC. Can't say I blame her. McGraw likely had zero interest, so why not Duke? Although I would have thought her game would have fit better at UNC.

Neither one of those schools help her game. UNC's offense is a chaotic hot mess and Duke's is not existent. I would have rather seen her at ND of LV although I know they already have good PG's. But maybe she could have competed for playing time.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 06/16/15 2:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Shades wrote:

You guys would've had some PGs with experience if Alexis Jones and Kianna Holland decided not to transfer. Coach P can get the posts to stay but it's those guards that will leave the program if they are recruited over, homesick, don't like the style of play, etc.

I never even though of UNC being a possible destination for Brown. They just got a transfer in Paris Kea from Vanderbilt and Jamie Cherry would be in the same class on the court as Brown. Maybe Maryland can go after Jessica Washington because she still available.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/16/15 8:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

terpsforever wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

Neither one of those schools help her game. UNC's offense is a chaotic hot mess and Duke's is not existent. I would have rather seen her at ND of LV although I know they already have good PG's. But maybe she could have competed for playing time.

If I were an even halfway serious student, I would not go NEAR UNC right now. There are more things about the place that are a hot mess than its WBB offense.

PostPosted: 06/16/15 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
has any Maryland/ Brenda Frese player ever mad a USAB team? outside of Langhorn? maybe with her Dad working in the NBA and her mom home alone maybe with younger siblings Lexie has to move back home and really be there for her family.

I was just reading over this thread and saw that you had a question about any other MD players making a USAB team. I thought I'd give you an answer to that. Yes, Marissa Coleman was on the 2007 Pan Am team and Lynetta Kizer was on the 2011 World University team. Langhorne was on the U19 team in 2005.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: