RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Lexie Brown asking for Release from Maryland WBB
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoops9092

PostPosted: 05/29/15 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis to South Carolina.

What a line-up that would be with Aja, Kaela and Lexie!

PhillyCat

PostPosted: 05/29/15 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

from a story on Davis to SC:

Note: There was speculation that transfer Lexie Brown, Maryland’s rising junior point guard and a key to back-to-back Final Four appearances, would try to go with Davis as a package deal. The two native Georgians are reportedly close friends.

A source at USC said that is more than likely not going to happen.

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-womens-basketball/article22592355.html#storylink=cpy

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/29/15 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ThreeBall25 wrote:
Is this addition by subtraction for Maryland? More touches/shots for SWK and Jones isn't a bad thing I don't think. Brown struck me as a "me first" type of point guard, ala Renee Montgomery in her early UConn years. A bit of a chucker if you will.

If it means they finally focus more on getting the ball into Jones, then you may be right. But there's also a reality that Brown was more talented than any of the other guards. So does an improvement in chemistry and style make up for that? We shall see.

terpsforever

PostPosted: 05/30/15 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ThreeBall25 wrote:
Is this addition by subtraction for Maryland? More touches/shots for SWK and Jones isn't a bad thing I don't think. Brown struck me as a "me first" type of point guard, ala Renee Montgomery in her early UConn years. A bit of a chucker if you will.

If it means they finally focus more on getting the ball into Jones, then you may be right. But there's also a reality that Brown was more talented than any of the other guards. So does an improvement in chemistry and style make up for that? We shall see.

Exactly...

terpsforever

PostPosted: 05/30/15 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LadyLionsFan wrote:
TerpsForever:

All that has happened is that Lexie Brown has decided she no longer wants to attend the University of Maryland as a student/athlete and so has decided to transfer to another university. It happens quite frenquently and for a myriad of reasons. Often fans (short for fanatic) forget that sports in general and basketball in this case is just a game. It is a game that these young women play primarily to get an education.

Ms. Brown has stated that she wants to attend university somewhere closer to her home which happens to be in Georgia. There is nothing wrong with that. For one she could be homesick. College fans tend to forget we are talking about 18-21 year old young adults here. That is very young. While it is unfortunate that your beloved Maryland Terrapins will most likely not win as many basketball games without Lexie Brown on the team...what is more important is that it is Lexie Brown's life and she needs to do what is best for her future, both academically and athletically.

It is sad that often sports fans end up living vicariously through the athletic achievements of the athletes that they follow instead of focusing more on their own lives. The tone of your post tells me that you most likely fall into this category of fan. My advice would be not to live and die with every win or with every player that transfers...if you do you are just setting yourself up for disappointment after disappointment. You'll be much happier if you don't rely on others accomplishments to make you happy or fulfilled. Happiness comes from within.

I wish her nothing but the best and will follow her no matter what team she is on. Just too bad she is leaving my team. No need to get all philosophical--it was just a fan's initial reaction to losing a key player. We move on...

ball4life

PostPosted: 05/30/15 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's a theory....

Two of her teammates got pushed for and selected to play USA Basketball over her. Is it possible her agents found that to be a slight and decided to roll?

Durantula

PostPosted: 05/30/15 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ball4life wrote:
Here's a theory....

Two of her teammates got pushed for and selected to play USA Basketball over her. Is it possible her agents found that to be a slight and decided to roll?

I posted something similar from an ESPN commenter and I think USA cuts is why Davis and Brown are leaving their schools since it happened so shortly after trials but my opinion is a little different than yours. I think Davis got cut because she probably shoots way too much. Brown the same way, USA basketball loves pass first point guards. Walker and Jones to me are better than Brown and they play different positions so I don't take it as them making it over Brown, its the other point guards who did. The difference is Brown came into college with a big rep but Walker and Jones I don't believe were highly recruited. They may have risen up the rankings after they committed but that's different than highly recruited. So maybe Brown feels like she is the top player and now isn't so she rolls?

It also goes back to my social media theory I've posted. I just saw Brown has over 12,000 followers on Instagram, 4,000+ on twitter. These kids take social media followings as some barometer of success and honestly I think the "likes" and "follows" feeds their egos and when they get adversity they jump. Like Jessica Washington has a gazillion followers but that isn't going to help you when Jamie Cherry comes in freshman year and takes your spot. But they already have an inflated ego so they roll. Suarez at Virginia another example, Gonzalez twins originally at Kansas the same way.

justinabina

PostPosted: 05/30/15 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting thread. Speculation about transfers can be gossipy (and unkind)... but I find the transfer stories and the subsequent speculation intriguing nonetheless, because all of it reminds me of the emotional and intellectual work that goes into great individual performances and team success. Team chemistry isn't some magical mystery; it's the product of shared goals, support, understanding, and patience (among other things). This kind of work is often under-developed in all kinds of career fields that really need it (actually, I can't think of a career field involving interactions with other people that wouldn't need it. Razz ) Though it does seem that Maryland has been working on developing it... http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/03/26/maryland-womens-basketball-finds-edge-inside-the-lines-starts-between-the-ears/

Comments on the Testudo Times article about Brown's transfer suggest it's been in development for a long time (perhaps even something she considered last year), so it seems unlikely that being passed over by USA Basketball is the primary cause---though maybe it was a bit of a tipping point, or a contribution to an overall sense of dissatisfaction with her situation.

Thomas's comments, as posted by dtsnms, suggest there may have been a bit of a personality clash with teammates. Obviously, though, the team worked well enough together to win the BIG and make it to the Final Four. Or perhaps she, like Davis, wants a better chance to win a NC; Davis moved up to SC; for Brown, who's already pretty close to the top, that would mean... UConn? ND? SC as well, now that Davis is there? I'm curious to see where she goes.

Anyhow, I hope she finds a situation that satisfies her---and I hope the Terps find a good replacement for her! I don't know much about Moseley, but it looks like she had some strong performances off the bench. Could she be a difference-maker? I know Maryland has some highly ranked forwards coming in this year. Any good guards on the horizon?

LadyLionsFan

PostPosted: 05/31/15 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ThreeBall25 wrote:

No, I'm pretty sure this is subtraction by subtraction. Spin it anyway that makes you feel better, but the cold hard facts are that Maryland is losing a AP 3rd. All-American, 1st. Team All-B1G honoree, All-B1G Defensive Team honoree and so on. In women's college hoops...the PG position is the most important position, Brown was the quarterback of the team and the team's 2nd. leading scorer. It is as everyone here has said: a HUGE loss for the Terps. With Brown, the Terps would have been prohibitive favorites to win a 2nd. straight B1G Championship and a very strong possibility of getting to the Final Four again, but without Brown, the team will be in a dogfight with about 3 other B1G teams for the title and will be lucky to get to the Sweet 16 round IMHO. Again, a HUGE loss for Maryland.

Howee

PostPosted: 05/31/15 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LadyLionsFan wrote:
TerpsForever:

All that has happened is that Lexie Brown has decided she no longer wants to attend the University of Maryland as a student/athlete and so has decided to transfer to another university. It happens quite frenquently and for a myriad of reasons. Often fans (short for fanatic) forget that sports in general and basketball in this case is just a game. It is a game that these young women play primarily to get an education.

Ms. Brown has stated that she wants to attend university somewhere closer to her home which happens to be in Georgia. There is nothing wrong with that. For one she could be homesick. College fans tend to forget we are talking about 18-21 year old young adults here. That is very young. While it is unfortunate that your beloved Maryland Terrapins will most likely not win as many basketball games without Lexie Brown on the team...what is more important is that it is Lexie Brown's life and she needs to do what is best for her future, both academically and athletically.

It is sad that often sports fans end up living vicariously through the athletic achievements of the athletes that they follow instead of focusing more on their own lives. The tone of your post tells me that you most likely fall into this category of fan. My advice would be not to live and die with every win or with every player that transfers...if you do you are just setting yourself up for disappointment after disappointment. You'll be much happier if you don't rely on others accomplishments to make you happy or fulfilled. Happiness comes from within.

LLF, you *may* just wanna reconsider the validity of your psychoanalysis of an individual like Terpsforever as based on a post or 3 of theirs. Yes, "Terps" is a diehard MD fan, but after years of reading their posts, I can pretty much guarantee you, your "analysis" is not too accurate. Laughing

PostPosted: 06/04/15 6:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider/wp/2015/06/03/departure-of-lexie-brown-disappointed-but-didnt-shock-maryland-womens-basketball-team/

Malina Howard wrote:
“It’s really sad to see your teammate go,” rising senior center Malina Howard said Wednesday. “I mean, we’ve grown very close. We’re all sisters and friends and teammates, so it’s sad to see her go, but we really want her to be happy and whatever’s best for her and she thinks is best for her.”

Brenda Frese wrote:
“I think they were disappointed, obviously, but they weren’t shocked,” Frese said of her players. “I know they knew she wanted to get back closer to her family, and so I don’t think there was as much an element of surprise. I think they knew at one point it was a possibility, so I don’t think they were completely caught off guard.”

PhillyCat

PostPosted: 06/10/15 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lexie visited Louisville yesterday.

No one will accuse of Jeff of not being an aggressive recruiter.

Howee

PostPosted: 06/10/15 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PhillyCat wrote:

Doesn't really fit with her *closer to home* narrative, but....L'ville is an excellent program.

PostPosted: 06/10/15 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PhillyCat wrote:

Maybe she just missed the ACC.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/10/15 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
PhillyCat wrote:

Doesn't really fit with her *closer to home* narrative, but....L'ville is an excellent program.

It is closer to home than Maryland

PostPosted: 06/10/15 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:
PhillyCat wrote:

And away games at Tech, Clemson, Carolina teams, Tallahassee which are much closer to home than Lincoln, East Lansing, Ann Arbor, etc.

Makes sense for Lexie; whether it does for team already bringing in Durr, Jones, Cole is another matter.

Howee

PostPosted: 06/10/15 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:
PhillyCat wrote:

Little bit. But. It's NOT as close as UGA! Cool

PostPosted: 06/10/15 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With Deines transferring to Kansas State, I can see this happening. Jeff looks to be building another guard heavy team after lacking in guards last year. I think Brown is a better asset than either Carter or Jones, and she can bring some veteran leadership to a very young team.

terpsforever

PostPosted: 06/10/15 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PhillyCat wrote:
pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:
PhillyCat wrote:

And away games at Tech, Clemson, Carolina teams, Tallahassee which are much closer to home than Lincoln, East Lansing, Ann Arbor, etc.

Makes sense for Lexie; whether it does for team already bringing in Durr, Jones, Cole is another matter.

Interesting...why go to a team when Durr is already there. South Carolina makes sense--LV does not to me.

GEF34

PostPosted: 06/10/15 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:
PhillyCat wrote:

Does Georgia have scholarships available and a need. It's not like she can just pick any school and say I'm going there. The school also has to want you to be part of their team and a scholarship available unless the player wants to walk-on. And then of course Maryland can put a limit on the schools she can talk to.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/10/15 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmmmm. . . . Louisville.

Well I bet that would really piss Brenda off.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 06/10/15 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ThreeBall25 wrote:

Brown was pretty much eye-to-eye with the other top 2 scorers for the Terps (13.3 ppg to their 13.5 & 13.3 averages), and didn't shoot much worse than the other 2. She averaged more minutes than the other 2 despite playing 1 game fewer than them. The majority of her FG attempts were from behind the 3-pt arc and her 3ptFG% was decent. The Terps only had 2 players with 100+ 3pt Fg attempts, and Brown had 40% of the team's total numbers. Sounds like to me MD needed her to shoulder their perimeter scoring load. Because of this Brown's FG% was .414 but inside the 3pt arc she shot 48.9% (90-184).

Jones averaged 8 minutes per game less than Brown did - probably because she was called for more fouls than anyone else (100 fouls compared to the next most at 78 ), which means she probably spent more time on the bench in foul trouble. 8 minutes is 20% of a game's length...

Brown did lead the team in assists and steals and had a decent A:TO ratio. Nothing really stands out to me to suggest addition by subtraction with her leaving....

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 06/11/15 2:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:
PhillyCat wrote:

Does Georgia have scholarships available and a need. It's not like she can just pick any school and say I'm going there. The school also has to want you to be part of their team and a scholarship available unless the player wants to walk-on. And then of course Maryland can put a limit on the schools she can talk to.

This argument is asinine. We're talking about an All-American point guard here. Lexie is light-years better than any player on Georgia's roster. They (and pretty much any team in the country) would be abso-fucking-lutely insane to not welcome her with open arms and a scholarship, even if it means sending someone else packing (which they wouldn't have to do considering they have 2 players transferring out). If she wants to go there, she will go there. I'm not saying she does, but there are maybe a handful of teams in the country that are in a position to turn her down, and UGA is certainly not one of them.

GEF34

PostPosted: 06/11/15 3:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:
PhillyCat wrote:

This argument is asinine. We're talking about an All-American point guard here. Lexie is light-years better than any player on Georgia's roster. They (and pretty much any team in the country) would be abso-fucking-lutely insane to not welcome her with open arms and a scholarship, even if it means sending someone else packing (which they wouldn't have to do considering they have 2 players transferring out). If she wants to go there, she will go there. I'm not saying she does, but there are maybe a handful of teams in the country that are in a position to turn her down, and UGA is certainly not one of them.

It's not an argument, it's the truth, the way the NCAA is currently set up a player can't just transfer to whatever school they want.

terpsforever

PostPosted: 06/11/15 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
ThreeBall25 wrote:

Brown was pretty much eye-to-eye with the other top 2 scorers for the Terps (13.3 ppg to their 13.5 & 13.3 averages), and didn't shoot much worse than the other 2. She averaged more minutes than the other 2 despite playing 1 game fewer than them. The majority of her FG attempts were from behind the 3-pt arc and her 3ptFG% was decent. The Terps only had 2 players with 100+ 3pt Fg attempts, and Brown had 40% of the team's total numbers. Sounds like to me MD needed her to shoulder their perimeter scoring load. Because of this Brown's FG% was .414 but inside the 3pt arc she shot 48.9% (90-184).

Jones averaged 8 minutes per game less than Brown did - probably because she was called for more fouls than anyone else (100 fouls compared to the next most at 78 ), which means she probably spent more time on the bench in foul trouble. 8 minutes is 20% of a game's length...

Brown did lead the team in assists and steals and had a decent A:TO ratio. Nothing really stands out to me to suggest addition by subtraction with her leaving....

Brown is an absolute loss for MD. She hit big shots in key moments. Assist to TO was good. Biggest loss in my opinion for this program ever. We will survive but no doubt, we won't be as good next yr. we will rebound after that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: