RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Lexie Brown asking for Release from Maryland WBB
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uconnfan1

PostPosted: 05/26/15 10:00 am    ::: Lexie Brown asking for Release from Maryland WBB Reply Reply with quote

http://www.swishappeal.com/2015/5/26/8659941/lexie-brown-asks-for-release-from-maryland

This would be a huge loss for Maryland.

With the increasing number of transfers, are player being actively Recruited to transfer by other players, mentors and family?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/26/15 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh my goodness! Where is Lexie from? Perhaps she wants to be closer to home? Maybe there are family issues (often the case with these kids, especially if they have a large and close extended family). I don't think they are being actively recruited, though. Somehow, for some reason, they are just not happy where they are. They *are* still kids, no matter what the calendar says.

PostPosted: 05/26/15 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Work that transfer magic of yours Semrau!

Last edited by noleman on 05/26/15 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/26/15 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's from Suwanee Georgia.

And1

PostPosted: 05/26/15 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I bet she goes to South Carolina.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/26/15 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

B1G teams are grinning.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 05/26/15 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
B1G teams are grinning.

Yes and no. While I find it hard to feel bad for Freese/Maryland, it does hurt the Big Ten which I don't like.

noleman

PostPosted: 05/26/15 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
“I want to thank Coach Frese, the staff and my teammates for two great seasons at the University of Maryland,” Brown said. “After talking with my family, I thought it was in my best interest to continue my education and pursue playing basketball at a university closer to my home. I truly enjoyed the friendships that I made and the outstanding support of the great Terp fans during my time in College Park.”

http://www.umterps.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=29700&ATCLID=210109294

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/26/15 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

noleman wrote:
Quote:
“I want to thank Coach Frese, the staff and my teammates for two great seasons at the University of Maryland,” Brown said. “After talking with my family, I thought it was in my best interest to continue my education and pursue playing basketball at a university closer to my home. I truly enjoyed the friendships that I made and the outstanding support of the great Terp fans during my time in College Park.”

http://www.umterps.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=29700&ATCLID=210109294

Crenshaw and Georgia, I predict.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 05/26/15 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And the 2018 draft continues to get more and more special at the expense of the 2017 class. DeShields, Russell, Kaela Davis, Greenwell, and now Brown would have all been first rounders in 2017. Now they will join the already star-studded 2018 class including Mitchell, Wilson, Turner, Canada, Stevens, Moore, Nurse...the list goes on. This is looking like one of the best draft classes ever.

Durantula

PostPosted: 05/26/15 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brown and Davis both are transferred late in the cycle, could their cuts from USA Basketball have anything to do with having them reevaluate things?

I think Mincy graduating is a bigger loss for Maryland than Brown. To be honest Brown I think is a little overrated compared to Walker Kimbrough and Jones. Brown took more shots than both of them even though those other two teammates of hers had much better shooting numbers. Maryland's backup PG actually has similar numbers to Brown, albeit in fewer minutes. They might not be a Final 4 contender just because they lost some key depth but they should still have a nice team. And since I brought up Davis, I do not think GT will be so much worse without her, maybe more balanced scoring and not one person taking 50% of the shots?

terpsforever

PostPosted: 05/26/15 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I need answers from ripley or someone close to the Terps. What the hell just happened? I'm in shock, total sadness. What the hell is going on?

Shades

PostPosted: 05/26/15 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lucky rAf isn't a Maryland fan or she'd be demanding Frese's head. Wink

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
terpsforever

PostPosted: 05/26/15 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just can't get over this... I don't understand what the heck happened

tfan

PostPosted: 05/26/15 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:

Crenshaw and Georgia, I predict.

That was my thought. "Wanted to go to Georgia but didn't want to play for Andy Landers".

Of the schools "closer to home", only South Carolina got to the Final Four. Florida State and Tennessee were in the Elite Eight.

Last edited by tfan on 05/26/15 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/26/15 11:12 pm    ::: Re: Lexie Brown asking for Release from Maryland WBB Reply Reply with quote

Maryland isn't any farther away from her home than when she committed, but a lot of Maryland's games were a lot farther away than usual. Could this be a side effect of moving to the Big 10?

ripleydc

PostPosted: 05/27/15 7:03 am    ::: Re: Lexie Brown asking for Release from Maryland WBB Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Maryland isn't any farther away from her home than when she committed, but a lot of Maryland's games were a lot farther away than usual. Could this be a side effect of moving to the Big 10?

Yes.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider/wp/2015/05/26/lexie-brown-to-transfer-out-of-maryland-womens-basketball-program/

Gene Wang, Washington Post wrote:
Brown is extremely close with her family, and the logistical challenges for her mother and siblings to attend games grew all the more complicated last season when Maryland joined the Big Ten. During her freshman year, the Terrapins were in their final season as a member of the ACC, where Maryland’s road games often were within driving distance for Brown’s relatives.

I also think (my guess, not inside info) that there could be a little "Jewell Lloyd" effect too. 2 Final Fours, ran the table in the B1G, won the B1G championship . . . what more can she look forward to at Maryland this year? Being realistic, the Terps are not about to knock off a Breanna Stewart-led UConn and win the Natty. So after a year of sitting out, maybe some other team (closer to home) might provide her with new challenges and a chance to take it one or two steps further.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/27/15 8:13 am    ::: Re: Lexie Brown asking for Release from Maryland WBB Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:

I also think (my guess, not inside info) that there could be a little "Jewell Lloyd" effect too. 2 Final Fours, ran the table in the B1G, won the B1G championship . . . what more can she look forward to at Maryland this year?.

Well that's amusing. You fabricate your own notion of why Loyd chose to turn and then give it a name. Creative, I guess.

Unless she's going to get paid a bunch of money to play at her next stop, there's no relationship between the two.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 05/27/15 8:40 am    ::: Re: Lexie Brown asking for Release from Maryland WBB Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:

I also think (my guess, not inside info) that there could be a little "Jewell Lloyd" effect too. 2 Final Fours, ran the table in the B1G, won the B1G championship . . . what more can she look forward to at Maryland this year?

What? I certainly hope this is NOT the prevailing belief of any athlete. Good lord. I'm sure the UConn fans are pretty happy none of their players feel that way and decide to transfer...I mean, after all, what more can they possibly achieve after repeatedly winning the National Championship?

One other thing...and I don't mean to diminish this, but the whole "she's really close to her family" thing drives me crazy. The overwhelming majority of Division I WBB players are close to their family but yet there are many that go away from home. It doesn't mean they aren't any "closer" to their family.

When she signed with Maryland, more than half of their games were going to be played in College Park which is still the case today. The only road game that was really close in the ACC was GA Tech and I don't think there was a guarantee they would play there every year with how big the conference gotten. Florida State is about 4 1/2 hours from Atlanta, the 3 schools in North Carolina are all roughly 6 hours away...and these are the "close" games. How many ACC road games were they really going to drive to anyway? I don't buy the switch in this case.

However, if she didn't mesh with Andy Landers but would have loved to have gone to Georgia and that is now an option, this makes perfect sense. In addition, the SEC for the most part is much closer to her parents in Atlanta than the ACC or Big Ten is. I mean, Auburn is less than 2 hours away, Alabama is about 3 hours while Tennessee, Vanderbilt and South Carolina are all under 4 hours away.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 05/27/15 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whoever posted the similarity to Jewel could be on to something.

I have no real information on this player but there is a growing change in attitude among the younger basketball players. If you have followed the guys game then you would see a few similarities.

There are families who have the means to help their kids with whatever they feel they need to achieve. The appeal of getting a degree does not seem to hold as much weight as it once did. The return on what some of the players are receiving may not fulfill their needs.

Many on the club circuit see these changes.

Jewell's situation although different as the family could move on and earn from her playing basketball could show that they felt she was better served getting in on her marketability period rather than waiting. Whereas those with money may be looking at it for another avenue and not be interested in a degree as a result of putting in all that hard work.

Just a theory but we may be seeing the start of a trend.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/27/15 9:50 am    ::: Re: Lexie Brown asking for Release from Maryland WBB Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:

One other thing...and I don't mean to diminish this, but the whole "she's really close to her family" thing drives me crazy. The overwhelming majority of Division I WBB players are close to their family but yet there are many that go away from home. It doesn't mean they aren't any "closer" to their family.

I think the overwhelming majority of college students - athletes and non-athletes - love going to college and love the college they're attending. It's one of the best times of their lives. They have friends, they like the environment, they have fun, it's like a new family. A new community. It's not something most college students abandon lightly. I think most people who transfer - athletes and non-athletes alike - transfer because they simply aren't happy in their current school and surroundings for whatever reason.

Yeah, there's a small subset plotting grand plans for their athletic future. But I think most who are truly happy in their school, who have made a lot of friends, who are having fun, usually stick it out regardless of what happens with their sports.

I take "I want to be closer to my family" to generally mean "I'm miserable here and am going home to find comfort I'm not finding here."

I certainly don't think many, if any, uproot themselves from their friends and surroundings thinking "this team has gone as far as it can, I'm going to a new school to try again."

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/27/15 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:

Jewell's situation although different as the family could move on and earn from her playing basketball could show that they felt she was better served getting in on her marketability period rather than waiting. Whereas those with money may be looking at it for another avenue and not be interested in a degree as a result of putting in all that hard work.

Your premise is faulty since Loyd has nearly completed her degree requirements and has made it clear she values and will be finishing her degree ASAP.

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/27/15 10:40 am    ::: Re: Lexie Brown asking for Release from Maryland WBB Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

I think the overwhelming majority of college students - athletes and non-athletes - love going to college and love the college they're attending. It's one of the best times of their lives. They have friends, they like the environment, they have fun, it's like a new family. A new community. It's not something most college students abandon lightly. I think most people who transfer - athletes and non-athletes alike - transfer because they simply aren't happy in their current school and surroundings for whatever reason.

Yeah, there's a small subset plotting grand plans for their athletic future. But I think most who are truly happy in their school, who have made a lot of friends, who are having fun, usually stick it out regardless of what happens with their sports.

I take "I want to be closer to my family" to generally mean "I'm miserable here and am going home to find comfort I'm not finding here."

I certainly don't think many, if any, uproot themselves from their friends and surroundings thinking "this team has gone as far as it can, I'm going to a new school to try again."

I would tend to agree. Players are first and foremost young people who are finding their way in life ... and I'm pretty sure most of us did a lot of changing our first two years away from home, whether in college or not.

If you think you'd be happier somewhere else, and you have that option, why would you not do it?

PostPosted: 05/27/15 11:22 am    ::: Re: Lexie Brown asking for Release from Maryland WBB Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

I would tend to agree. Players are first and foremost young people who are finding their way in life ... and I'm pretty sure most of us did a lot of changing our first two years away from home, whether in college or not.

If you think you'd be happier somewhere else, and you have that option, why would you not do it?

Exactly. Certain posters always disagree with this, but I argue that, no matter what the law says, these kids are *still* kids and should be allowed to be that, complete with all the flaws and indecisions kids are prone to. Kids occasionally make decisions they regret. They are allowed to change their minds. Case closed.

PostPosted: 05/27/15 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You two are skipping the inverse.

When kids are happy in their surroundings, have made good friends, and are having fun in college like most college kids do, they typically don't transfer, even for sports reasons.

They usually transfer because they're not happy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: